Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Kah68-- thanks for the response. I have been very heavy for about 10 years. I was never big growing up, even after 3 kids I was in good shape. For some reason ( I've never figured out why), I became over 100 lbs. overweight in the last 10 years. Sometimes, I think it's because of a lifestyle that became too easy. I've had some tragedies that ended my 1st marriage, but I can't blame my weight gain on them. Not religious, but God, did give me a good body and I feel that I haven't done my best with it. I just hope that I haven't ruined it. About 5 months ago I 'woke-up' to the reality of how fat I was. I thought I was ok, but my blood-pressure said differently. Everyone on an extreme weight loss show has to 'qualify' for skin surgery. It sounds awful. It scares me. I've lost from 0 to 2.5 lbs. a week. At this point I'm happy if I lose 1 lb. a week. It's fast enough for me. I really hope I won't have excess skin.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy World Smile Day!
    World Smile Day is celebrated on the first Friday in the month of October every year. The idea of World Smile Day was coined and initiated by Harvey Ball, a commercial artist from Worcester, Massachusetts. Harvey Ball is known to have created the Smiley Face in 1963.[1] The World's first World Smile Day was held in the year 1999 and has been held annually since.
    After Harvey died in 2001, the "Harvey Ball World Smile Foundation" was created to honour his name and memory. The slogan of the Smile Foundation is "improving this world, one smile at a time." The Foundation continues as the official sponsor of World Smile Day each year.
    The message of the World Smile Day 2010 is "Do an act of kindness. Help one person smile."

Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing. ~Mother Teresa

11857432.png

Tom
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

@goins-- Could you buy precooked food, like whole roasted chickens that many grocery stores sell in their deli sections?

@mel-- I agree with kelley that it depends upon a lot of factors, but it sounds like you are doing all you can to combat loose skin.

@kelley-- that stinks about your new car, but I'm glad you weren't hurt.

@DSnutz --glad you can get back on track now that your parents are gone.

@barney-- congrats!

AFM-- Today I did a 5k with Brian (BV1980) that we've done 4 years in a row now. We crushed our previous best time by 8 minutes, so we were happy about that. Afterwards, I came home and walked gunner, then proceeded to nap all afternoon. Definitely needed if with this cold that just won't go away.

Tomorrow, I plan to get through the rest of my grading. It looks like a lot, but most of it will be quick to check. Nice to not have any essays to grade this weekend. I also need to get some prep work done for the week.

Grading Goals:
    1. x/15 Speech tests
    2. x/60 movie charts
    3. x/? essay revisions
    4. x/10 analysis activities

• AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    @Melwillbehealthy~ I slowly lost weight (over 100#) and I had some under my arms, but not bad. I agree is looks better than all the excess weight which is why I am trying to loose again.
    Probably wont have time to log in for a few days. Out of town company and travel.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share ... hi all ... thought since this is the first Sunday in October that I would introduce myself for the benefit of any new posters.

My name is Niki, WNY is home, about 1/2 hour away from Niagara Falls. I've been a regular on this thread for a year now. During that time I did lose some weight and have put some of it back on ... sometimes it's discouraging that after all the learning about nutrition and weight loss that I have done to find myself still 'not there'.

That just goes to show: learning and doing are two entirely different things ... because it's the application of knowledge that makes things happen. I know what I need to do, I also know how I need to do it but far too often I just don't apply it, or I do apply it but don't make it a permanent part of my living. Things come up ... sone one here once said "life gets in the way" ... however I often feel that it is nature that gets in the way ... and I don't mean 'mother nature'.

With no nearby relatives and a dwindling circle of friends I often find it difficult to get out and be active when the computer is such a handy and addictive source of other entertainment. Seriousely though; so many have passed or are too unwell for more than a weekly or twice monthly phone call visit. I am often in that situation myself. That's one reason why I am still committed to shedding extra weight ...I believe the less weight my body needs to deal with, the easier it will be for everything to function as it should ... like my feet and knees. :)

I hope everyone has set some goals for themselves for this month and that they are looking at those goals every day ... and more importantly, following through to get them done.

Have a good one!
    Follow-through, Niki
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi - funny story - last night I read all the posts and as I started to post a reply I fell asleep with my finger on the letter P and woke to a string of p's so darn long I laughed and laughed and was so happy it didn't end up posted!

@Newcomers -Welcome to each one of you. We are a super special discussion here because we understand the differences in losing large amounts of weight and keeping it off over the long term. Thinking about it as a life style change is a must. Accepting that your first few week's of weight loss will be big but then it will slow down is also a fact. Then you need to accept that failure (snacking, eating too much forbidden foods, etc.) is also part of your journey - it happens to all of us and the reasons are myriad (oh joy I got to use a big word :p ) just accept this behavior as your wanton, wicked ways, sadness, overtiredness, etc, as another part of your journey. These will occur less and less often over time.

AFM: Sunday Share: Hi I'm RobinsEgg I started this discussion in 2010 to find similar people myself- and the support so helped me I lost 65 lbs. It took a while as I did some back sliding. I hated exercise but finally found a liking for weight lifting. In the past 18 months a spell of health problems has caused me to regain a large portion of weight back but I'm not discouraged. I had to deal with the health first, and the weight gain second. Now its time to deal with the weight gain. I've restarted watching what I eat,, refocusing on proper nutrition, and on increasing my activities: first I started PT as my back was weak, and increasing my walking. So I am happy with my progress.

About myself - My real name is Ellen and I live in Omaha, NE - I always boast that we are a great city - home of the College World Series, The Olympic Swim Trials, and the Worlds Best Zoo - the Henry Doorley Zoo. But, the zoo was down-graded a bit to #4. I didn't understand why, until @CBlue - Lori - was in town. When we went to the Zoo - I learned that so much was under construction and so many animals were therefore pulled from display. I was disappointed for Lori's sake!

@Mel - OF COURSE I REMEMBER YOU! welcome back!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hi Guys-
    Just a quick drive by to update my goals for today. Found a few additions in my backpack. Taking a break now to return some gym shoes I bought the DH, then off to more grading.

Grading Goals:
    1. 8/15 Speech tests
    2. 60/60 movie charts DONE
    3. x/? essay revisions
    5. x/15 Speech thesis statements
    6. x/15 chapter 9 worksheets
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hi-
    Just me again with another goals update.

Wow, the thread is quiet this weekend. Hope that means everyone is busy enjoying it.

Grading Goals:
    1. 15/15 Speech tests DONE
    2. 60/60 movie charts DONE
    3. 8/13 essay revisions DONE
    5. 15/15 Speech thesis statements DONE
    6. 15/15 chapter 9 worksheets DONE
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hello All,
    My name is Lori, age 55, I live in a small town in Wisconsin. I have been on this thread for just over a year. In 3 1/2 years I am down about 120 pounds. I went on my first diet when I was in junior high and have been in a contstant struggle since. This is indeed a commitment to changing the way I live.
    My visit with Ellen was a highlight for me. I enjoyed every minute. The zoo is under constrution but was still a great day. Omaha has so much to offer and I feel as though I only got a taste.

Today I am grateful for my recovery from alcoholism. The meeting I went to tonight was only 4 of us. But together we have 139 years of sobriety. Amazing ro me.
    My challenge today is to stay under calories. I am watching The Great British Baking Show. One of my favoirites as I had always dreamed of becoming a pastry chef.

Love to all,
    Lori <3

Something good is on the horizon.
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have been on here before. Took a break from My Fitness Pal. Trying to care for my family, My husband has been unemployed for over 2 years he has just started to return to regular full time employment. My 22 year old daughter is very sweet she is on the autism scale. So life is always interesting. We have a fun care dog name Bella Jo. I work over 40hours at a place that helps adults with Special needs. I have been grateful for my job these past 2 years. It does burn me out.
    While gone I stop caring for myself my blood sugar glucose is extremely high 11 .

Coming back now is to acknowledge its ok to take care of me too. Seems its easy to put me on the back burner. So here I am.

Liz
    Caldwell, Idaho
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    lizmil79,

Welcome back! You took the first step towards getting back on track by coming back.
    My blood sugar(A1C) was also extremely high...it was at 11.4 back in February & now I have it down to 6.8 & plan to get that even lower by logging what I eat here to keep a close eye on that.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

Welcome to all the newlings! I’ve been posting here since 2012; you’ll receive the most benefit from the wonderful people here by checking in often.

@Liz~Glad to see you again, welcome back!

@Karen~You made great grading progress over the weekend! Great job on your 5k time, too.

It’s been a busy weekend. Friday, I took my car in for the estimate and had to leave it—the estimator said it was too dangerous to drive it (never mind I had been driving it for 3-days :astonished:). So now I’m in a rental, a Jeep, I miss my car. :frowning: He said once the parts come in and they don’t find anything else, it should just take 3-5 business days to fix—so fingers crossed I have my car back by the end of the week. After that I met a friend from work for a much needed cocktail/dinner and then we had a little retail therapy.

I went to an out-of-town baby shower for my cousin on Saturday—so drove to my parents (about half-way) and then rode with my mom. The shower was more like a BBQ (so much food). I was able to see a lot of family I haven’t seen in a while, so it was great to catch up. I loved seeing all of the kids too; they are growing up way too fast! This is my cousin’s 4th baby (a shocking surprise, hence the shower). Yesterday I went to church and then had a full afternoon getting ready for the week and more prep for after-surgery (10-days…yikes). Busy week ahead…

Have a great day!
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Monday Check-In: Last week was a LONG week and I’m just plain exhausted. I’ve known this, but I think the past week definitely reiterated that I don’t handle stress well and totally eat when my life is out of whack. I think I mentioned my friend Greg was in the hospital. It turns out he had pneumonia and found out the house he was renting had mold. He had no idea. From the hospital bed, he basically arranged for movers to move him out. I went over to the house last Wednesday and met his 15-year old son there to help coordinate. He finally got out on Friday and I took off work to pick him up. He’s now trying to find a new place to rent while staying with friends.

Saturday night was a football game for Cyrus and his team finally won – thank goodness! Unfortunately, it rained non-stop. I felt like crap the rest of the weekend. We did go to the movies on Sunday and saw Hotel Transylvania 2. I love kiddie movies. I really didn’t want to come to work today, but last week I was in and out with Greg plus I was volunteering at Cyrus’ school too. I said all of that to say my eating is totally off. There were a ton of meals out, no exercise and I feel like crap. I am back on track this morning though and already logged what I plan on eating today. I fixed a couple of meals yesterday so I can have my lunch and dinners ready. It seems like I take one step forward and two steps back. I need to switch that around to two steps forward and one step back. LOL!!!

@cblue315 – Lori, I’m so glad you had a good trip to Boulder. Scary about your bike ride though, but it’s great to know there’s still good people in this world who will help. I would write a note to the hotel about the front desk clerk and give them kudos for coming to your rescue. I know those kinds of notes to hourly employees can really make their day. I’m glad you had a nice visit with Ellen too. I hope to meet you both one day. As for the new hair, the color turned out great, but she cut it a little too short. With my natural curls, I feel like Shirley Temple. LOL!! I just read your post about backsliding too far. You’ve been on an emotional roller coaster this past year with some MAJOR changes in your life. If it was me, I would have totally lost it and been way off track. You’re just a “little” off track. You just need to take time to reflect on how much you HAVE accomplished. It’s truly remarkable and you should be so proud of yourself. Keep going. You’ve got this!!! Also, I love your attitude about making peace with your excess skin and your recovery from alcoholism. You rock!!!

@skinnyjeanzbound - Nice job cutting 8 minutes - great time!! Plus, I know it was great seeing Brian too. A very nice tradition for both of you.

@terri70 – We were rain and gloom all weekend. It was lovely sitting in the rain Saturday watching my son’s football game – NOT!! Regarding your post, no one is going to judge you about Nutri-System. We’re all different and what works for you may not work for me and that’s OK. I love the convenience of those types of programs. I’m probably the worst person to give advice on stalls because I’ve been on a roller coaster with many ups and downs this past year. For me, I have to change things up. Whether it’s trying new foods or exercise, eating breakfast for dinner and dinner for breakfast, etc. . . It can be so frustrating, but you just have to push through. Plus, checking in with this group has truly pushed me through so many stalls. They’re amazing!!

@Kah68 – Thanks for the curly hair tips! I can’t even remember, but I want to say she did cut it dry, but probably not. It grows pretty fast so no complaints especially when I have so many friends with cancer who have no hair. It’s so trivial and I’ve never been one to really care. I can’t believe your surgery is around the corner. I know you’ll keep us posted. So I just read about your new car – Grrrrrr!! First and foremost, I’m glad the accident was minor and you’re OK. I keep getting antsy about wanting a new car, but with this crazy traffic in Atlanta I think my 15-year old 4Runner with 206,000 miles has to keep pushing through our aggressive traffic.

@ChrisRendon1128 – Welcome!! You’re doing great! As you can see, this group is a great support system. I know your schedule is crazy, but if you can check in here daily or every other day the support is so important. I was working full-time, doing online school and had a toddler as well plus went through a divorce. I look back now and have no clue how I did it all, but I did and I’m stronger for it. You can do it!!

@BarneyRubble – Woo Hoo!!! Less than 100 to go is awesome and keeping your sugar under is HUGE!!! I’m so proud of you. I can’t wait to follow your journey.

@DSnutz – I’m glad you had a good visit with your parents. I see my parents about 3-4 times a year. They live out of state so it’s always tough.

@Jtconst – I’m so glad your hubby is home safe and sound. I know every time he leaves it’s got to be tough knowing his job is so unpredictable since he can’t control the ocean. Also, it’s great your daughter joined MFP and you can support each other.

@Nikion901 – I think I can totally copy your last statement. “Here’s to looking forward to a better today and October.” All of your goals totally pertain to me too. About 5 years ago, I decided to try and keep only positive people and things in my life. Negativity just drains. I really try to always see the positive and it makes a world of difference in my outlook on life. Keep taking those baby steps.

@angelika – Congrats on your loss this week! Woo Hoo!! Do it again next week!!

@lizmil79 – Great seeing you again!!! I’ve put myself on the back burner too long and it’s time for me too. Welcome back Liz!

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Monday check-in ...
    I maintained my weight for the past 5 days, that is such good news as it means the swelling in my body has become stable... I'm still up 2.5 pounds from Sept 1 and still have 'dimples' when I press on the skin over my shin bones and ankles, however both calves are measuring the same now. (The right one was 2-inches bigger than the left one a week ago.)

Yesterday was a successful day for me. I was able to work for 3 hours at a chore goal I have and got a lot done. Then, this morning I scrubbed the bathroom before I had breakfast. OF course, when I went to MFP to log my meal, I took a peek at this thread and caught up on the news.

@susan2396 ... sorry for your friend Greg's ill health. Did his pneumonia stem from his sensitivity to mold? I have COPD, which is exercise-induced Asthma based, but thankfully am not allergic to any molds. Living in an on-slab foundation ranch house made of cinder block is kind of like living in a finished basement, except at grade instead of below ... certain molds exist no matter what you do to dispell them!

Congratulations to everyone who has had success at this 'game' ... it's an important one to keep playing!

My goals for this week ...
    Continue to choose my carbs wisely.
    Continue to cook most of my meals, focusing on getting enough protein.
    Focus on reducing my portions by 25% of what I am accustomed to - even if that means eating more often.
    Work hard on the inside chore goals getting finished so the outside ones can begin. ... they have an Oct 31 deadline!

Follow-through
    Niki
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Monday check-in: Things are going okay here. I feel like we are on an even keel for a few days. DH is getting good results from the PT. They also have him going to a "Fit and Fall Proof" exercise group now. It means a lot of running him around, but its all on Tues. and Thurs. mornings so it's not too bad. We have no dr. appointments this week. :)
    I am staying stable with my weight. There are a lot of things I could be doing better, but I am having a hard time juggling everything and handling the stress.
    I made a big decision to visit my sister in UT at the end of the month. I hope DH will handle the travel well, but we won't know if we don't try. Sister is feeling much better, but I really want to see her. Also there is a wedding of a young man that we haven't seen for 10 years and I really want to go to that, too.
    @lizmil79 Nice to see you back. Being from the same corner of ID, I had wondered about you. Take care of yourself. No one else will.
    I heard a good quote yesterday. "When you can't do all of the things you used to do, you do what's most important." I really need to learn to do that. I'm afraid that a lot of my energy and time are wasted on things that aren't so important.
    Have a great week. I wish that I had time for more personals. You are all so inspiring to me. Keep up the good work.
    Onward and downward. Kaye

• Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am new. I realize yesterday was share day, but I thought I would go ahead and share today.

~~~I am 69 years old, have 3 grown kids that have given us 3 in-law kids and 8 adorable grandchildren.
    ~~~I am married to the best of the best hubbies for 49 years.
    ~~~We live in Kansas - about the center of the USA.
    ~~~I love mountains and the oceans - and yep I live in flat, dry Kansas.
    ~~~I also love to read - fiction: mysteries and always have one that I am reading and one that I am listening to as we drive everywhere.
    ~~~I love to travel and wish we could more.
    ~~~We farm and DH sells Pioneer seed - the type farmers plant - corn, soybeans, milo and etc.
    ~~~We both started our professional careers as teachers. DH quit when the opportunity to sell Pioneer was offered.
    ~~~I taught for 20 years, then a drunk driver decided to hit us head-on, and that was the end of my teaching career. I still deal with consequences of the wreck.
    ~~~I am following the Paleo eating plan as I was diagnosed with a rare stomach disease a year ago, Schlerosing Mesenterits. The Paleo diet has helped my symptoms, which is fantastic!!

My weight hit 272 before I decided that the time had come to do something about it. I have tried many different "diets" but MFP has been the best answer for me. As I mentioned above I am on the Paleo eating lifestyle. I had lost 62 lb in August then just blew it all through September. My weight this morning was 222. So I need help!!The biggest challenge I have to overcome is ME!!

I now have 68 lb to lose. So here goes!
  • DeeWert
    DeeWert Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Amazed how many calories you can burn moving furniture. Maybe I should get a job moving furniture for fun, NOT! LOL
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    So I am back on plan today. Spent the weekend having fun with food, but now it's time to get busy and get this thing restarted! Have a great day everyone!
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    @susan2396 Thanks. I'm doing the NS Fast 5 this week to get things going. After spending the weekend basically eating whatever I wanted, I don't feel like eating much at all. So this F5 (800-1000 cals) is a Godsend! I feel like crap from all the crap I ate too! lol NOT gonna do that again! That's for sure.
  • ChrisRendon1128
    ChrisRendon1128 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Rebamae wrote: »
    Hi!
    I am new. I realize yesterday was share day, but I thought I would go ahead and share today.

~~~I am 69 years old, have 3 grown kids that have given us 3 in-law kids and 8 adorable grandchildren.
    ~~~I am married to the best of the best hubbies for 49 years.
    ~~~We live in Kansas - about the center of the USA.
    ~~~I love mountains and the oceans - and yep I live in flat, dry Kansas.
    ~~~I also love to read - fiction: mysteries and always have one that I am reading and one that I am listening to as we drive everywhere.
    ~~~I love to travel and wish we could more.
    ~~~We farm and DH sells Pioneer seed - the type farmers plant - corn, soybeans, milo and etc.
    ~~~We both started our professional careers as teachers. DH quit when the opportunity to sell Pioneer was offered.
    ~~~I taught for 20 years, then a drunk driver decided to hit us head-on, and that was the end of my teaching career. I still deal with consequences of the wreck.
    ~~~I am following the Paleo eating plan as I was diagnosed with a rare stomach disease a year ago, Schlerosing Mesenterits. The Paleo diet has helped my symptoms, which is fantastic!!

My weight hit 272 before I decided that the time had come to do something about it. I have tried many different "diets" but MFP has been the best answer for me. As I mentioned above I am on the Paleo eating lifestyle. I had lost 62 lb in August then just blew it all through September. My weight this morning was 222. So I need help!!The biggest challenge I have to overcome is ME!!

I now have 68 lb to lose. So here goes!

I wish I could give you some good advise, but I am barely starting on my weight loss journey. I just wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss!!! :)