when did this obsession for women having big butts start, and why?

Options
hamlet1222
hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
I see a lot of questions from women wanting to get their posteriors bigger, getting advice on doing squats etc, and it leaves me wondering when did this obsession start? 20 years ago we had the likes of Cindy Crawford and Pamela Anderson, and none of them had disproportionately large backsides.

Personally I'm not a fan of the J-Lo look, it just seems a bit inelegant to me, Eva Longoria has a much more elegant physique. My advice to any woman is just to get your body fat to a healthy % and follow a balanced and regular exercise routine - after that learn to accept yourself and be proud. And that goes for guys too - no one knew what a 'six pack' was before the 90s.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    sirmixalotilikebigbuttsseattleorchestra.gif
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Will-Ferrell-Elf-You-Sit-on-a-Throne-of-Lies.gif
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Maybe they just like bigger booty bootys?

Because skin and bone bootys hurt when sitting on the cement porch?

Because you want something extra as warm cushion when sitting on cold chairs?
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    TO MAKE DAT BOOTY CLAP DOH
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, gotta say though, I was hoping for more of a socio-anthropological analysis in the anwers :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. I feel like the Instagram fitness culture has helped make it a bigger cultural phenomenon but that's not what started it. I blame the internet. Curse you, AL Gore.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I see a lot of questions from women wanting to get their posteriors bigger, getting advice on doing squats etc, and it leaves me wondering when did this obsession start? 20 years ago we had the likes of Cindy Crawford and Pamela Anderson, and none of them had disproportionately large backsides.

Personally I'm not a fan of the J-Lo look, it just seems a bit inelegant to me, Eva Longoria has a much more elegant physique. My advice to any woman is just to get your body fat to a healthy % and follow a balanced and regular exercise routine - after that learn to accept yourself and be proud. And that goes for guys too - no one knew what a 'six pack' was before the 90s.

giphy.gif
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I think it's become the new "thing" because of butts like Kim Kardashians being plastered everywhere now. "Bigger" and more curvy is becoming the more desired look. Also, since the average models size is now being flamed, general opinion is leaning towards women being ok with being over a size 2.

I'm too old to worry about that crap now, but more power to you if you want to try to attain it. And hey, better people wanting to squat til they drop for it then opting for butt implants! Have you ever seen how that procedure is done? Yikes!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, gotta say though, I was hoping for more of a socio-anthropological analysis in the anwers :)

Those are big words.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    yep, blame that Kardashian woman :confounded:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    kim-kardashian.jpg
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Butts are the new boobs. Lotta fake ones out there.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kim-kardashian.jpg

Soooooo inelegant
  • kshama2001
    Options
    You're welcome ;)
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options

who doesnt love a nice bit of mansplaining
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It's been a while.

rubens.jpg
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it an obsession, but my...proclivity for them started around puberty. Coincidence?
  • kshama2001
    Options

article-0-1DEBD63C00000578-683_634x922.jpg
    Looks familiar: Eva Longoria seemed to be copying Kim Kardashian when she did a derriere pose in this pale pink Gabriela Cadena gown while on the carpet for the Global Gift Gala in Cannes on Friday

article-2630900-1DD1451400000578-359_634x706.jpg
    Her inspiration?: The 33-year-old Kardashian standing in front of a wall of flowers from fiancé Kanye West on May 13

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2630900/Eva-Longoria-borrows-Kim-Kardashians-famous-derriere-pose-wearing-similar-backless-pale-pink-gown-Cannes-gala.html#ixzz3oOqczTWH
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    WmNRh.jpg
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I could really care less about what type of bottom other women trying to achieve. I worry about my own bottom and that's all ! Who cares if they want big butts? Let them have it . whatever makes them feel more comfortable in their own skin.
    For me, I'd prefer a bottom so rock hard that fat you could sit a beer on it.