when did this obsession for women having big butts start, and why?

Options

Replies

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i think the "obsession" has been around for all of time for the humans that are attracted to butts. Just like the "obsession" to sexualize boobs when they are technically for feeding babies. why it concerns you what is sexually appealing to other people is the bigger question. Apples and oranges man.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    gh2bq6ix2xyi.png
  • amyb12015
    amyb12015 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    amyb12015 wrote: »
    I honestly think it's because some guys prefer big buts in women and some girls tend to feel insecure if they don't have a nice butt. Like I always see posts about smaking the booty and how it looks good turning bed stuff so honestly it's sometimes frm the guys point of view that making girls want big butts to please their man and so on.

never seen girls worry bout it till now...
    Hope this helps!!

I've never seen these posts. Are they on MFP?

Aha no, on social media like Twitter and stuff, I know it's very popular around the teen areas, even online :p
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    20 years ago we had the likes of Cindy Crawford and Pamela Anderson

You mean caucasian women
    and none of them had disproportionately large backsides.

I don't know what "disproportionately large" means to you
    Personally I'm not a fan of the J-Lo look,

who cares
    it just seems a bit inelegant to me,

who cares
    Eva Longoria has a much more elegant physique.

I don't know what "elegant" means to you, except maybe "more caucasian-looking"
    My advice to any woman

who cares
    is just to get your body fat to a healthy % and follow a balanced and regular exercise routine -

lost in my lack of caring about the rest of what you have to say
    after that learn to accept yourself and be proud.

Oh gee awesome THANK YOU SO MUCH that would not have occurred to me if you hadn't suggested it

RIGHT AFTER you told us what you thought was NOT OK

Robert-Downey-Jr-laughing.gif
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think it started with that "I like big butts" song, whatever it was called. But no clue.

When I was young, women wanted small butts. The flatter and smaller, the better. Now, some people buy butt inserts like some women used to stuff their bras.

I think it's great that all kinds of butts can can be appreciated these days, but don't spend any time trying to make mine bigger.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    i think the "obsession" has been around for all of time for the humans that are attracted to butts. Just like the "obsession" to sexualize boobs when they are technically for feeding babies. why it concerns you what is sexually appealing to other people is the bigger question. Apples and oranges man.

I agree. Different strokes for different folks. You don't like big butts, don't date a girl with a big butt. She will find someone who does like her big butt.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have spent 1/24th of my life breastfeeding and I object to the "boobs are technically for feeding babies" ...
  • sodapoppin28
    sodapoppin28 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Im a boob guy but I can appreciate a big butt :)
  • lesliedias22
    lesliedias22 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I decided not to read this whole thread but from what I did read...

Who cares?
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Am I the only woman that gets pissed off when they call fat girls the ones with curves? You can have curves and be thin especially if you lift wieghts and squat heavy....so why do they have to assume curves equals fat??
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    wrputve5mg8c.jpeg

Yep. You beat me to it.

Freddie Mercury to Sir-Mix-A-Lot: *kitten*, PLEASE.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Also, this:
    cb7671016f3db9b36f49f4eb5fb1d859795872eed00e49cc27b84cc7135a4b81_1.jpg
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have tiny boobs and a comparatively bigger butt. But since I don't have any specific standards for a partner etc myself, I don't worry about "my parts". My bf constantly talks about my butt and how he wished it was so much bigger, but... that's his problem. :D
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Am I the only woman that gets pissed off when they call fat girls the ones with curves? You can have curves and be thin ....so why do they have to assume curves equals fat??

I agree. This has always bugged me. Also the assumption that 'white' girls have flat butts. I'm of dark-haired Irish decent and 'we' tend to have high-round butts and small waists, also 'generic mediteranian' women do. (not getting into anthropology here.. i haven't had enough coffee yet)

What men in general think about my body is of little relevance to me. I am an hourglass with a smaller chest and don't tend to wear padded or push-up bras or wear low-cut stuff. Guys who like big busts are never drawn to me - so what! Guys who are butt-guys- yup, I get them- and guys who have a short-girl fetish- yup , i get them by the bucket-load (especially if they are over 6ft for some reason).

I do get annoyed that women's bodies go through fashions- 1900' s- the S-curve corset/ Gibson Girl look. 1920's the youthful ruler-straight (strap down the busoms and hips), the 30's diet obsession, the 40's pad your shoulders like a guy and 50's conical bras, girdles and all that...... and then repeat......

I think we need to accept that all shapes are feminine, all shapes are okay. You can have your preference, sure but that doesn't make you better tha anyone else. But- I'm shooting for the moon- fashion in bodies will always be with us... and most of us are wise enough to shrug, ignore it and carry on with our life as usual.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Am I the only woman that gets pissed off when they call fat girls the ones with curves? You can have curves and be thin ....so why do they have to assume curves equals fat??

I agree. This has always bugged me. Also the assumption that 'white' girls have flat butts. I'm of dark-haired Irish decent and 'we' tend to have high-round butts and small waists, also 'generic mediteranian' women do. (not getting into anthropology here.. i haven't had enough coffee yet)

What men in general think about my body is of little relevance to me. I am an hourglass with a smaller chest and don't tend to wear padded or push-up bras or wear low-cut stuff. Guys who like big busts are never drawn to me - so what! Guys who are butt-guys- yup, I get them- and guys who have a short-girl fetish- yup , i get them by the bucket-load (especially if they are over 6ft for some reason).

I do get annoyed that women's bodies go through fashions- 1900' s- the S-curve corset/ Gibson Girl look. 1920's the youthful ruler-straight (strap down the busoms and hips), the 30's diet obsession, the 40's pad your shoulders like a guy and 50's conical bras, girdles and all that...... and then repeat......

I think we need to accept that all shapes are feminine, all shapes are okay. You can have your preference, sure but that doesn't make you better tha anyone else. But- I'm shooting for the moon- fashion in bodies will always be with us... and most of us are wise enough to shrug, ignore it and carry on with our life as usual.

LOL at the Irish having high round butts and small waists and those of Mediterranean descent

errr nope that's really not the stereotype of either nationality IMO

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

LOL at the Irish having high round butts and small waists and those of Mediterranean descent

errr nope that's really not the stereotype of either nationality IMO

[/quote]

*Takes a quick look around me* yup- loads of 'curvy' Irish women here. I thought Greek and Italian women were known for thier curves. Not sure what the stereotype for these groups in general are? Just goes to show that we all have different ideas.

• MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    and guys who have a short-girl fetish- yup , i get them by the bucket-load (especially if they are over 6ft for some reason).

I am 5' 3", most men that're under 5' 10", think I am too short but men over 6' 2", think I'm too tall; lol.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I see a lot of questions from women wanting to get their posteriors bigger, getting advice on doing squats etc, and it leaves me wondering when did this obsession start? 20 years ago we had the likes of Cindy Crawford and Pamela Anderson, and none of them had disproportionately large backsides.

Personally I'm not a fan of the J-Lo look, it just seems a bit inelegant to me, Eva Longoria has a much more elegant physique. My advice to any woman is just to get your body fat to a healthy % and follow a balanced and regular exercise routine - after that learn to accept yourself and be proud. And that goes for guys too - no one knew what a 'six pack' was before the 90s.

My personal reasons for wanting a firmer 'posterior' is because it looks strong, lean, sculpted and defined.
    This is why I squat heavy. I do not squat heavy to get a 'Kim Kardashian' look. Or a Nicki Minaj look. In my opinion, there backsides are all about genetics and surgery - usually a mixture of the two. I'm not a fan of that look, it's a little on the OTT side and doesn't look in proportion with the rest of them.

I'm petite so having a massive backside isn't something I'm looking to get. Certainly sculpted, rounded and toned but not large and noticeable.

The 'ideal' changes. 10 or so years ago, a flat backside was the ultimate achievement. Skinny was 'in' and size zero was 'win'. Now, it's curves and muscles. It'll be something else in another few years to come *sigh*! I'm just going with what I like on little old me! :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Am I the only woman that gets pissed off when they call fat girls the ones with curves? You can have curves and be thin especially if you lift wieghts and squat heavy....so why do they have to assume curves equals fat??

I don't understand - you don't like that "they" say something positive about fat girls, or they called you curveless?
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Okay, this has kind of gone off topic, and I'm horrified that this thread has started taking a racial tone.

I've already received 6 flags from people for my initial post apparently being abusive. I don't see how politely stating a personal preference in an example (a preference that is opposed to the popular norm of bigger is better) can be seen as abusive, but never mind.

Thanks to all those who gave a reasoned answer - I think the point about social trends constantly evolving and repeating is a great one.