Options

Replies

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    October Goal—stretch goal 120 km, realistic goal 100 km
    10/1—rest getting a cold I think…
    10/2—10.18 km
    10/3—rest, taking care of errands and resting up for…
    10/4–10.73 km
    10/5—typhoon day, good thing it’s a traditional rest day anyway
    10/6–5.16 km
    10/7—rest
    10/8–5.49 km
    10/9—rest
    10/10–13.92 km
    10/11—3.34 km recovery run
    10/12—5.12 km
    10/13—2.89 km
    10/14—rest
    10/15—5.38 km
  • ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Passed half way just in time for the middle of October. With earlier darkness it's been harder to get out during the week.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I ran 10km yesterday for the first time and I feel fine.. no muscles soreness etc .. Is that normal or is DOMS lurking around the corner? lol

I will stretch today just in case, but was wondering if running slow had anything to do with it? I know that I felt great while running and the minute I stopped my legs wanted to give way (It took me 1:26) so I was expecting something today...

Happy that I'm not of course.. Just surprised!
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Leave it to me to have a very nice run this morning just to go to the grocery store and sprain my ankle. Blah! It's pretty sore so I don't know how long I will have to rest it. At least I didn't break anything I guess.

exercise.png
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Oct 03      6.0      6.0
    Oct 04     11.2     17.2
    Oct 06      4.3     21.5
    Oct 08      6.3     27.8
    Oct 10      8.3     36.1
    Oct 11      6.0     42.1
    Oct 14      4.3     46.4

exercise.png

4.3 treadmill miles ... I don't know what it is but I seem to work harder to go slower on a treadmill than I ever do running outside. That's probably that Relativity thing that Einstein was always going on about.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    tdbernrd wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I'm sharing this with a coworker. She doesn't understand why my first year of consistent running I will not attempt a marathon. It's on her bucket list. It's on my long term list only after I have reached shorter distance milestones and the desire has to be there. Thanks for sharing :)

I can't imagine how little you know in your first year of running to even think of that- I'm just at a point where I would vaguely consider it- and even then- the sheer volume of training I'm not sure I'm prepared for mentally.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    August: 66.23 of 75 miles
    September 79.3 of 92
    Total Half Training Mileage DONE!
    206.58 of total 225

10.1.15... 4.... 33 min- rainy but good.
    10.3.15- 12 miler FLOP
    10.6.15...3.04....26 Min- late night run- felt really stressed in the lungs- think the lack of a long run might have been a bad call. Ah well.
    10.7.15... 2... 16:30- easy shake out run- technically the last official run before the half- but I suspect we'll go for a light easy miler Friday night. I think I'm going to opt out of my new belt for this weekend- I have essentially only run 5 miles in it- it was okay with a shirt on- but I prefer running shirtless- and it just rubs a little to much for my own comfort for that time frame. I'll use my beat up arm band as I always have and call it a day.

10.10.15...13.18...1:58- HALF ACCOMPLISHED.
    10..14.15.... 4.0...33:12- nice easy run- was aiming for 3- but suddenly found myself at 4. Lungs are a little scratchy for some reason- but was a nice easy clear run- I was very happy.

26.22 of 50

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    1- Rest
    2-2.65 without Garmin
    3- Rest (travel,eat, sleep)
    4-13.37 HM 2:23:50
    5-rest, waiting for chafed thighs to heal
    6- rest, still waiting
    7-3.03
    8th thru13th- nada, just foot pain
    14- 3.40

22.45/90+

Won't make the 90 this month... But happy to finally have some miles to post!

@dennie24 My foot is gimpy too. Think mines an angry cuboid... Hope yours heals quickly!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    kareF wrote: »
    I ran 10km yesterday for the first time and I feel fine.. no muscles soreness etc .. Is that normal or is DOMS lurking around the corner? lol

I will stretch today just in case, but was wondering if running slow had anything to do with it? I know that I felt great while running and the minute I stopped my legs wanted to give way (It took me 1:26) so I was expecting something today...

Happy that I'm not of course.. Just surprised!

I bet you were just ready to run! :smiley: congratulations!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    10/1 - 8 miles
    10/2 - 5 miles
    10/3 - 5.1 miles
    10/4 - rest day Allen's son is in the Nat'l Guard and was supposed to jump yesterday. We were headed there when they cancelled the jump :-1:
    10/5 - 10.1 miles
    10/6 - 5.1 recovery miles
    10/7 - rest day
    10/8 - 6.6 miles of hilly hills :smiley: not big hills just rolling up and down and up and down
    10/9 - 5 miles my first mile I thought was crappy because I thought my watch said 10:50 and it felt like 10:50. Turned out it was 10:05 which I didn't realize until I pushed harder and my next split was 9:47. Ended up with a 9:49 pace... so happy especially after dancing too much and too late at the Miranda Lambert concert last night!
    10/10 - 5 miles - 9:55 pace don't know what's gotten into me. Ran with Skip who is home from Disney.
    10/11 - 5.1 miles
    10/12 - rest day
    10/13 - 11.1 miles (yes I want my .1)
    10/14 - 5 miles - recovery run with Skip, cool morning about 44F at run time.

71.1 of 120 miles

exercise.png

@5beautifuldays how do you like rowing?
    @jorocka I'll have to look at your pix at home, work is blocking them :angry:
    @marissaxzxzxz sometimes you can't look at the scale, I try to go by how my clothes fit.
    @jtarmom since the pain seems to be getting worse, it might be time to see a doc or PT :cry:
    @kristinegift I wish we lived closer so Skip could run with you, I know I hold her back and she would do great with a running partner like you.

Aww, well who knows where I'll land after graduation ;) Even though you might feel like you're holding her back, on the flipside, it's good for her to take some runs at a much easier pace. Good for recovery!

If @kristinegift moved closer to you @skippygirlsmom, she then would be moving closer to me as well. This area is awesome for runners.

http://www.huntsvilletrackclub.org/
    http://www.werunhuntsville.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Werunhuntsville/
    http://www.runninglane.com/wrh

Plus very low cost of living but very developed area. They say it's like a northern city stuck in the middle of the South. With NASA & U.S. Army Aviation & Missile Research Development & Engineering Center & Army Aviation Center of Excellence, we literally have rocket scientists that live down here.

1 Hour south of nashville, 3 hours from Atlanta, 1 and half from Chattenooga, and we sit in the beautiful foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. Great places to run and very easy to get lots of elevation.

Just saying. ;-)

You've almost got me sold. But how hot are your summers? :p

We have air conditioning and swimming pools. You get used to the heat. Plus heat training does great things for the cardiovascular system, just drink plenty of liquids. And you will have to get up super early like the rest of us do to get in a run. Plus think of winters being mild.

I don't think it's any hotter here than Jersey to be honest, I find Jersey to be more humid. The major downfall...5 hours to an ocean!!!!! But everything else @stoshew71 said is dead on. What's funny is Stan and I lived about 20 mins apart in NJ and now live about 20 apart here in AL. Small world.

We lived in Delaware for a few years. I never thought it could be so humid and hot. @Stoshew71 your so right about the heat training. I got my yearly blood results back this week, and I'm very pleased with the results. I embraced today's quick 91° evening run.
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    10/5 3.5 miles
    10/6 4.0 miles
    10/8 3.0 miles
    10/11 3.75 miles
    10/12 4.5 miles
    10/14 3.25 miles for a total of 22 miles out of a goal of 42 for the month.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    10/1 4.75 -- I would like to do 6+ miles in the coming days, so, am resting tomorrow!
    10/2 rest day
    10/3 6.51 -- first 10k, longest run (time), and farthest run (distance)
    10/4 rest day--this was a horrible day, could not get any exercise done and felt miserable
    10/5 no running, but good elliptical workout
    10/6 5.53 -- excellent run. the weather was cool and crisp, my muscles cooperated and all went well
    10/7 3.11 -- recovery run? that's what i thought of this one. felt good though!
    10/8 5.61 -- very good run.
    10/9 3.11 -- a little over 9 minutes mile pace!
    10/10 rest, the elliptical hour
    10/11 5.00
    10/12 rest, great elliptical session
    10/13 6.52 — very nice run: farthest I went since i started running; fastest 10K (well, second and faster :) at 10:33 per mile.
    10/14 3.2

exercise.png
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    New to the group and new to running this year (found a great C to 5K), so just set my goal for 30 this month to see how I do. So far so good. Weather still decent here, so trying to get m time in regularly.
    exercise.png
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    kytu2250rl47.jpeg

The view on my trail run this morning made the run go by quickly. I don't get fall where I am but the weather was great here today in Okinawa, Japan.

exercise.png

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Hit by a nasty sore throat, so ended up taking my first rest day of the month yesterday. Was feeling better today so ended up doing a few runs. Noticed my weight had crept up a few pounds, and is about 5lb above my target for next month's half marathon, so I'll need to watch my consumption the next few weeks as I'd like to shave off 1lb/week for it, then another 10lb (at 1lb/week) for my January marathon. They say an optimal BMI for marathoners is about 19.8, so in theory for peak performance I should lose about 25lb (vs. 15lb). Still, I've been building a lot of upper body muscle which I don't want to lose, so I'll play it by ear based on if I have a shot at a BQ in 2016 vs. when I age up to the 40-44 group in 2017, and go from there.

10/1 - 7 miles
    10/2 - 8.5 miles
    10/3 - 4 miles (pace run at 1/2 marathon speed)
    10/4 - 9 miles
    10/5 - 8.5 miles
    10/6 - 8.5 miles
    10/7 - 8 miles
    10/8 - 8 miles (w. 0.25-0.5-0.75-1-0.75-0.5-0.25 pyramid @ 6:35 pace)
    10/9 - 9 miles
    10/10 - 4 miles
    10/11 - 8 miles
    10/12 - 7 miles
    10/14 - 9 miles (4 w. neighbor, 5 solo)

Total: 98.5 miles
    Goal: 170 miles
    Remaining: 71.5 miles
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    No run for me today. A much needed rest day - was out way too late last night, way past my bedtime and still had to work this morning. I can't wait to get out for a run in the morning though!

@Stoshew71 - loved the videos! Just Awesome - especially 'Finding Your
    Greatness'!!
    @patrikc333 - you are so ready for this marathon! You've got this!!
    @7lenny7 - I signed up a while back for the Rails to Trails newsletters and love seeing where all the trails are. The ones here in So.California are not as interesting to me as those in the no. west (Oregon, Idaho, Montana) but only because that is where I was raised. I will get back there to run one day.
    @jorocka - love the pictures from your race! I think my DH would even support a race through Antietam. He loves the Civil War battle fields and has hiked around it a few times among many others.
    @jtarmom - any chance you could have a torn meniscus? I tore mine playing with my dog when he was a little puppy. I have occasional soreness but I know what it is now and how to deal with it. Initially though it wasn't fun. I hope the PT had good news for you and that it is something you can work through this week!
    @Marissaxzxzxz - I agree with @skippygirlsmom. You can't always go by the scale. As long as you are eating well and not over rewarding yourself for each mile run, the weight will come off. Might not be sudden or fast but it will happen.
    @karllundy - assuming you got pulled over while driving to your meet up and not while running ;) Also my MFP name is my name - my real name is Shana and the Ber is part of my last name...
    @krdews - Congratulations on your race! Awesome job and pace! WhootWhoot!!
    @5BeautifulDays - love this: 'Go home Pacer Siri, you're drunk' had me totally laughing!! I get really hungry sometimes on long(ish) runs and will feel sick and then I can't finish. I know now to carry something with me, some gummy bears, a shot blok, or part of a Picky bar. Something to take the edge off and then I am ok.
    @tdbernrd and @skippygirlsmom - I get the marathon question ALL the time. I tell people it will never happen - the half marathon is the perfect distance for me and it fits my personality (only half crazy :))
    @kareF - I did not get sore as I added in distance. I think if you are doing it slowly you won't necessarily have the soreness especially if you take care of your body after running with some good stretches and/or foam rolling. My body gets tired but not sore.
    @dennie24 - oh no! take care of that ankle!
    @Elise4270 - so glad to see you able to get back out there. How is the foot feeling? Hey - I thought the doc said no running for a week?!?!?!
    @MamaMollyT - beautiful picture and a great place to run!
    @Ohhim - glad you are feeling better!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    3/10.......3.0 km
    4/10.......3.0 km
    6/10.......2.0 km
    7/10.......3.5 km.........left shin very tender
    10/10.....5.0 km.........slowed pace & ran pain-free & longest distance for the first time!
    11/10.....7.5 km
    14/10....10.0 km !!!!!! wooohooooo!!!
    15/10.....5.0 km

Well.. I thought 40km was a decent goal and can't believe I'm about to smash that up! Pretty cool that it's only half way through the month too!

@dennie24 sorry to hear about your ankle! Hope it gets better soon and you're not off for too long!

@SAfricaChick good on you for doing a half 1 yr after starting!! The idea absolutely scares me, although it would be cool to do one day.. I like the sound of 5 and 10k runs :blush: I don't think I would be putting anything more on a todo list for the next few years when it comes to running lol

@Elise4270 You've made my day with your super niceness! I hope it just means I am ready too! :smile:

@suzu_2 welcome and let me know how you go with the c25k! I've heard it is meant to be really good!

@MamaMollyT look at that view!! Do you get the run that track very often?

@Ohhim it's great that you can run with your neighbour! i wish i had someone to run with though i am a little too slow at the moment still.. Maybe when i get a faster pace up :smile:

@shanaber Thanks! that's good to know! i have been doing simple yoga stretches after each run and during the day after and find they help a lot! I appreciate any advice i get so thanks! :smiley:
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    October goal 75 miles

10/1 big fat...REST day
    10/2 3.15
    10/3 4
    10/4 7.55
    10/5 rest
    10/6 4
    10/7 4.14
    10/8 snorkel 3 hours
    10/9 rest
    10/10 6.17
    10/11 lazy
    10/12 3.25
    10/13 5.68
    10/14 3.33

Total 41.27

@karllundy : Honu= turtle, Nui- big. I am big, old and run like a turtle, hence, HonuNui (pic of my honu tattoo and custom ukulele based on the design:
    jd9hpz3knhzp.jpg

Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Getting there at a slow plod:

exercise.png