when did this obsession for women having big butts start, and why?

Options

Replies

• OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I would say North American culture is becoming more well-rounded.

I see what you did there
  • vatblack
    vatblack Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    wrputve5mg8c.jpeg

Yes!!!
  • alien_type0
    alien_type0 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem with wanting to enhance your body, but when you have unrealistic expectations it becomes silly.

I have no but, in fact being asian and white I have the exact opposite of what you would call a butt. Am I trying to bulk up my legs and derriere? Absolutely, but more to even out my top-heavy frame. Women should just be proud of what they have, not spend all this effort conforming to some stupid ideal. Maybe if we spent more time doing that the new trend would become whatever we were flaunting.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @alien_type0 I agree there is so much power in owning the bodies we've been given, glorying in all the things it can do.
  • pakanoir
    pakanoir Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    20 years ago we had the likes of Cindy Crawford and Pamela Anderson, and none of them had disproportionately large backsides.

Not every woman sees these women as being a physical ideal. Period.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    It's good that you apologized. I'm glad you did that.

This exercise of turning things around in your head to imagine another person's perspective, or twisting a situation around, and applying it to yourself, is a fantastic one. Use it all the time. Every day. Whenever you interact with another human being.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Hi Hamlet.

I do think you should look at how your post was received and use it as a teachable moment. I think telling women how they should or should not want their bodies to look was unwise. I think you recognize this. I also think it came off as pretty xenophobic, whether that was your intention or not.

And as for the last paragraph. While the media seems to be in love lately with the booty....in the Kardashian look, do you think that means the media still doesn't show us 24/7 that thin and small is better? Take a look around at what you see on television shows and in movies.

I prefer that women love the bodies they have....instead of always trying to get it to match whatever magazine is showing the trend of the moment. And, whatever your preference is...that's fine, however that doesn't mean you need to downplay, degrade or the like the type of body that doesn't match your preference.

Very well said. I completely agree that this should be a teachable moment for you, OP. I think the Internet can trick us into thinking that our opinion is always in demand.
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Megan trainer song 'all about that bass' ridicules skinny women (called them b*******), Nicki Minaj's 'Anaconda' song objectifies women, Kim Kardashian has million of women followers, Miley Cyrus popularised 'twerking', again objectifying women. I can give million of examples women objectifying women. So it is best to leave 'judging' to themselves.
    Personally, I believe every woman is unique and beautiful in own way. Physical appearance is not everything. Women are a better species, men would not survive without them. Fact, period!

• virgo_s4
    virgo_s4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a very curvy girl naturally, I"ve always had a good size butt and boobs. I've always loved my body and accepted the way I was shaped. When I started lifting weights at the end of 2012, I had no clue I was about to transform myself...
    After years of doing squats and deadlifts (not in the intention of getting a bigger butt), I noticed just how much more firm and round it was. It looks a lot bigger and honestly I'm obsessed with it now. I never desired to have a "kim kardasian" or "Jlo" booty, I just wanted a firmer look all over. I'm obsessed with how healthy it looks. I've searched the internet for more effective exercises and looked for advice to take it further.
    Just like anyone becomes obsessed with their body when working out and wanting certain outcomes, I noticed I was seeing more of a difference in my booty and became obsessed with making it even more firm.
    Before anyone hates on the curiousness of one's body capabilities, realize we're all here for the same goal, to be better than we was yesterday. Whether looking to lose weight, gain muscle, become stronger or obtain bigger arms or butt, you all are doing great!
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    '
    "

Personally, I believe every woman is unique and beautiful in own way. Physical appearance is not everything. Women are a better species, men would not survive without them. Fact, period!

[/quote] mmm actually men and women are the same species, lol. The rest is pretty true.

• GETU1N
    GETU1N Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Big butts give you a little extra something to squeeze around what you got hanging out
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Actually, studies show that it's more of a hip to waist ratio that makes a female more attractive, regardless of the junk in the trunk. That being said, they've also attributed booty attraction to biology in ways like more fat in the thigh area means your lady won't starve to death during gestation. Similar to wide hips being attractive for it's child-baring and whatnot.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Aani15 wrote: »
    Women are a better species, men would not survive without them. Fact, period!

I'm pretty sure humans would go extinct if either men or women ceased to exist ;)
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Big butts are beautiful, small butts are beautiful.

What icks me out, is *presenting* (look it up, it is what monkeys do in the wild to show they are ready to mate) - pointing your butt at the camera, no matter what size your butt happens to be. I hate that women put themselves forward in this way, as if "look at me, I am ready for sex" is all they have to offer.

It is presenting which is revolting, not the butts they present with.

Same goes for pouting. What exactly do you think your moist open mouth represents ladies? Ick.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »

What icks me out, is *presenting* (look it up, it is what monkeys do in the wild to show they are ready to mate) - pointing your butt at the camera, no matter what size your butt happens to be. I hate that women put themselves forward in this way, as if "look at me, I am ready for sex" is all they have to offer.

Same goes for pouting. What exactly do you think your moist open mouth represents ladies? Ick.

Honestly, I'd rather have people do this than live in some bland, boring, asexual world

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Honestly, I'd rather have people do this than live in some bland, boring, asexual world

Check that sexual privilege at the door. Asexual =/= boring.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

for kim K it represents a huge bank balance.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks for your opinion, bro. It's important for us as women to get a man's opinion on how we should look before we make any decisions, lest we accidentally exercise autonomy.

Edited: Actually, while I stand behind that, I didn't realize when I commented that a) it was several days old, b) everyone else said this already (A+ work, great responses all around), and c) that the OP had apologized and used it as a chance to practice empathy and see things from the other side.

So, y'know, sorry to pile on when the sarcasm part of the party was done. Good on you, OP.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Personally I know that I am very lucky, I hadn't been bullied for the way that I look; until I joined dating sites but for some women, it was just another insult, to many others that they have suffered; from multiple people. If 1 person as an adult tells you, that you're ugly; it typically gets shrugged off but if this is a "lifestyle", that you must endure day in & day out, nearly everyday since being a child; it takes it's toll & you might even believe it, to be true because countless amounts of people, have said it before. It becomes like that saying "The straw that broke, the camel's back." 1 straw doesn't weigh enough, to break it but a ton of them; definitely would. You're just viewing this, as 1 insult; when it might actually be the 2,000th.

[edited by MFP Mods]
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Expert level accidental trolling, OP.