October 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options

@ddmom0811 I remember it coming on Saturday after cartoons went off. I'm not limber as those folks were but I know how some older folks got their bad backs now.
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270
    @skippygirlsmom
    @stoshew71
    Thanks for helping out! Went to the chiropractor and he readjusted and found my femur and talus to be out of place but before I went I googled subluxed cuboid and found an adjustment I could try as well. So I am not sure which helped out but I was able to do a 1.5 mile walk with dog. YAY!!! If it feels good tomorrow I will have to try a run. <fingers crossed>
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    October Goal—stretch goal 120 km, realistic goal 100 km
    10/1—rest getting a cold I think…
    10/2—10.18 km
    10/3—rest, taking care of errands and resting up for…
    10/4–10.73 km
    10/5—typhoon day, good thing it’s a traditional rest day anyway
    10/6–5.16 km
    10/7—rest
    10/8–5.49 km
    10/9—rest
    10/10–13.92 km
    10/11—3.34 km recovery run
    10/12—5.12 km
    10/13—2.89 km
    10/14—rest
    10/15—5.38 km
    10/16—rest
    10/17—5/24 km—2 laps around a hilly park
    10/18—15.53 km
    10/19—rest
    10/20—5.10 km

As of 10/20 I've run 88/120 km. I should be right on track...
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    3/10.......3.0 km
    4/10.......3.0 km
    6/10.......2.0 km
    7/10.......3.5 km......left shin very tender
    10/10.....5.0 km......PB 00:39
    11/10.....7.5 km
    14/10....10.0 km.....PB 1:26
    15/10.....5.0 km
    17/10....10.0 km.....New PB 1:19
    19/10.....4.8 km......legs felt heavy and hard to move today
    20/10.....2.0 km......running with pram = hard work!

exercise.png

Decided to take Mr3 for a run in the pram.. That is seriously hard work pushing 20+kg's! I found my stride all over the place and struggling by the end of the 2k. Think I better stick to running on days when the kids can stay home with hubby!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Auna01 wrote: »
    @Elise4270
    @skippygirlsmom
    @stoshew71
    Thanks for helping out! Went to the chiropractor and he readjusted and found my femur and talus to be out of place but before I went I googled subluxed cuboid and found an adjustment I could try as well. So I am not sure which helped out but I was able to do a 1.5 mile walk with dog. YAY!!! If it feels good tomorrow I will have to try a run. <fingers crossed>

Awesome! Take care!
  • Aresende90
    Aresende90 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Hey all! Hope everyone is having a fantastic Monday! Just wanted to update you all on my running! I'm on my 13th race of the year! 2 more races and I've earned the race series jacket! I PRd my 5k this past Sunday, and have now shaved off 3 minutes from my time since I started in March. I also won 1st and 3rd place in my age group in the past month running a 10k and 5k! My workouts are great, now I just have to get my diet on point! Staying within goal one day at a time! I've been horrible at keeping track of my miles this month, but am planning to join the November challenge! Here is a picture of my favorite running partner and I on my race yesterday!
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    Okay.. I need some advice about my 10k this Saturday.
    It is a twilight run, starting at 5pm (I usually run first thing in the morning).. Just wondering if you have some tips about what/when to eat during the day before the race?

I usually have a morning coffee before my runs and have yoghurt, oasts and fruit when I get home when I run in the mornings.

I want to fuel up properly but worried about having food/drink sploshing around and making me feel sick at that time of day. Advice??
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @kareF Tomorrow during the day do every thing as you would normally - except save your run for 5pm.
    Eat just as you normally would during the day. Have a light snack ( bagel, banana etc, Something that you normally have ) about 60-90 minutes before the run. Personally for a 10k run I find that I don't really need to do anything special for Fuelling or Hydrating my body.

To Paraphrase/Quote @kristinegift
    I sort of approached this race willy-nilly and didn't respect the challenges of the course or the distance. I didn't sleep well all week (not even the 2 nights before!); I didn't eat enough food at all on Friday let alone enough carbs, I wasn't mentally checked-in and thought it would be a breeze; didn't use the port-o-potty one last time so I had to pee THE ENTIRE TIME (torture!); I went out WAY too fast. Some of these things were in my control and some were not, but please, learn from my dumb, arrogant mistakes! Respect the distance, whatever you're running, and make sure you're (as) prepared (as possible) whether it's your first race or your zillionth!
    Remember she was talking about a HM - 21.1 km twice the distance that you are doing.

Hit the port-o-potty even if you don't feel the need.
    Find someone to have a chat with in the pre-start crowd, even if you don't know them - this helps with race jitters.
    Hit the porta-potty again !!!!!
    Let people know that it is your first race - you will be surprised by the support and offers of Pace Buddies.
    You know your avg 5km/10km time use that as a reference for a Pace Buddy.
    Or find someone who seems to be running at a pace that you are comfortable with and tuck in beside/behind them as a pace buddy.
    Take the water at the refreshment stands - especially the 2nd one as by then you are truly settled into your race pace and could use a little hydration.
    Have Fun - Enjoy the people around you before-during and after the race.
    Pram - Makes me think UK. In Canada Common Race Etiquette is keep to the right unless passing- yours is probably keep left unless passing a slower runner.

FYI My Avg 10km Race time is right on the 1 hour mark so your 1:19:00 from the 10/17 is very good. Race pace seems to magically drop time from your normal Avg pace. I predict 1:11:00.

Running with the Pram; That's a tough workout unless you have one of the Big Wheel ones for attaching to a bike.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    @kstar_lee AWESOME job!!!
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    10/5 3.5 miles
    10/6 4.0 miles
    10/8 3.0 miles
    10/11 3.75 miles
    10/12 4.5 miles
    10/14 3.25 miles
    10/15 1.5 miles
    10/16 5 miles for a total of 28.5 miles out of a goal of 42.
    It was a really great run on the treadmill. Guess that's bound to happen with 3 days rest. :)
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @kareF Tomorrow during the day do every thing as you would normally - except save your run for 5pm.
    Eat just as you normally would during the day. Have a light snack ( bagel, banana etc, Something that you normally have ) about 60-90 minutes before the run. Personally for a 10k run I find that I don't really need to do anything special for Fuelling or Hydrating my body.

Find someone to have a chat with in the pre-start crowd, even if you don't know them - this helps with race jitters.
    Let people know that it is your first race - you will be surprised by the support and offers of Pace Buddies.
    Or find someone who seems to be running at a pace that you are comfortable with and tuck in beside/behind them as a pace buddy.
    Take the water at the refreshment stands - especially the 2nd one as by then you are truly settled into your race pace and could use a little hydration.
    Pram - Makes me think UK. In Canada Common Race Etiquette is keep to the right unless passing- yours is probably keep left unless passing a slower runner.

FYI My Avg 10km Race time is right on the 1 hour mark so your 1:19:00 from the 10/17 is very good. Race pace seems to magically drop time from your normal Avg pace. I predict 1:11:00.

Running with the Pram; That's a tough workout unless you have one of the Big Wheel ones for attaching to a bike.

Thanks so much!! 10k is the longest I have run, but I think running in the afternoon for that long just makes me a little nervous. I don't want to cross the finish line and be turning green lol :blush:
    I am really excited to be running in an actual race! I'm in Australia, but not a bad guess :smile:

Thanks, honestly for making me feel more relaxed about it.. and your predicted time is awesome! See how I go! :smiley:
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - I should have sent you to my usual running route up north as I've been seeing deer roughly every other run. Still, I think they have rules against hunting in city parks.

Was sore as heck today after my long fast run yesterday, but did 6 easy miles with a neighbor tonight as he was up for running and the weather was just too nice to pass up.

10/1 - 7 miles
    10/2 - 8.5 miles
    10/3 - 4 miles (pace run at 1/2 marathon speed)
    10/4 - 9 miles
    10/5 - 8.5 miles
    10/6 - 8.5 miles
    10/7 - 8 miles
    10/8 - 8 miles (w. 0.25-0.5-0.75-1-0.75-0.5-0.25 pyramid @ 6:35 pace)
    10/9 - 9 miles
    10/10 - 4 miles
    10/11 - 8 miles
    10/12 - 7 miles
    10/14 - 9 miles (4 w. neighbor, 5 solo)
    10/15 - 1 mile (pre lift warm up)
    10/16 - 5 miles (w. strides at end)
    10/18 - 14 miles (8.5 easy Z2, final 5.5 at HM pace)
    10/19 - 6 miles

Total: 124.5 miles
    Goal: 170 miles
    Remaining: 45.5 miles
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    01/10 - 10.3km
    02/10 - 13.1 miles
    03/10 - 10.3km
    04/10 - 22.1 miles
    05/10 - 10.3km
    06/10 - 13.1 miles
    07/10 - 13.3 miles
    08/10 - 10.3km
    09/10 - 13.2 miles
    10/10 - 10.3km
    11/10 - 22.2 miles
    12/10 - 10.3km
    13/10 - 13.1 miles
    14/10 - 13.3 miles
    15/10 - 10.3 km
    16/10 - 12.3 km
    17/10 - 12.3 km
    18/10 - 26.2 miles - Amsterdam Marathon
    19/10 - 12.3 km
    20/10 - 13.1 miles

tot 373/500km

what a week!

10k on thursday at 4am, couldn't barely move, nervous, sleepy, tired and relaxed at the same time, easy easy pace

in the plane my left quad start to hurt a lot, and this has been a huge concern for the past days, don't know what I've done, no weird movements, no strange feelings when running, nothing, but on friday and saturday I couldn't extend my left leg

12k (~1h) easy easy easy pace on friday in amsterdam, leg pain that got a bit better towards 5k
    12k (~1h) jog on Saturday in Amsterdam, super super slow, still very painful, start to think to not run the marathon

SAINT IBUPROFEN!!! it did help, even though I was at 50% saint ibuprofen and 6k steps before the race did help in relaxing the leg

Sunday: very well disorganized, need to improve the marathon prep, forgot a bag, forgot a jumper, spent 30 minutes in the cold before the start, that almost killed me. but the feeling at the start is amazing, you do think you are going to break the world record lol - the atmosphere was great, lots of people cheering in the stadium
    I started quite slow, I was terrified to do something wrong to my leg, and really didn't know how it was going to respond. plus the rout was quite narrow and we had to stop quite a few times in the first couple of km
    but the more I was running the more I was enjoying, and the more I was feeling better and focused

I have to say there were lots of idiots - both people faster or slower, I really don't know why they didn't start in the proper time group. I'll never understand the point to overtake, hit people, almost make people falling down because they have to squeeze in the tiniest gap to overtake, to then slow down after half race! there were others that were actually killing themselves, they were not even able to breath!!!

Anyway, I never properly suffered, my training paid off, and the leg went numb just at 40km, so it didn't affect my performance too much - mentally, it was...easy! because you can't think of retiring when you are in a foreign country, in the middle of nowhere, god knows where was the closest metro station, and without a mobile with you! it's a feeling that is difficult to explain in words, it's pure joy, it's enjoying the achievement while doing it. I'll never never forget how I felt at about 2km to the end and obviously after the finish line.

only regret I couldn't do a bbq after it, had 4k calories to eat overall and had to estimate (and I normally over estimate when I don't have accurate info)

Amsterdam is a great town, but there are sweets everywhere, river and river of melting nutella everywhere, and it's hard for people that are watching their diet :smiley: !!! the smell of pancakes/waffles is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tempting

I wanted to run in less than 4hours, so I am really pleased with my results, considering the leg

and in the end who cares about the pace? the experience is something I'll bring with me forever, and, unless you are a competitor or you particularly train to improve your time, ,much better an enjoyable pace, to look around you, to give a high five to a kid or a poor man on a wheel chair, to listen to the crowd, than trying to pass into a 1 square cm to overtake someone and then slow down cause you are going to fast!

I smiled for the rest of the day and couldn't sleep

did a 12k (1h) recovery run on monday still there, that was pure pain :sweat_smile: couldn't move, my leg was in pain, no energy at all

today home, 4.30am HM, pace was incredibly slow, but lots of stars that distracted me from the thoughts of commuting and coming back to work, leg a bit better, sore muscles but in the end I did it and I'm going to do another one tomorrow (hopefully)

thanks a lot to everyone for the kind words, only 1 person asked me how it went here, obviously it's hard to accept that someone who was obese till 18months ago could do it or can run 80 miles per week, and enjoy it more and more :wink:

now time to find the next one and start to look at something a bit more challenging!
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,103 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    01/10 3miles
    02/10 0
    03/10 0
    04/10 0
    05/10 3miles (joined challenge)
    06/10 3miles
    07/10 3.5miles
    08/10 0
    09/10 0
    10/10 0
    11/10 3.5miles
    12/10 3miles
    13/10 3.5miles
    14/10 3miles
    15/10 0
    16/10 3.5miles
    17/10 0
    18/10 3.5miles
    19/10 0
    20/10 3.5miles
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wNn2bxI/]
    exercise.png
    [/url]
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Thank you @Elise4270 I know you're right but it is hard not to compare! But yes I'm pleased with my personal progress as 2 months ago I had a personal goal to run 20 miles. It's all progress! :smile:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    kareF wrote: »
    juliet3455 wrote: »

Thanks so much!! 10k is the longest I have run, but I think running in the afternoon for that long just makes me a little nervous. I don't want to cross the finish line and be turning green lol :blush:
    I am really excited to be running in an actual race! I'm in Australia, but not a bad guess :smile:

Thanks, honestly for making me feel more relaxed about it.. and your predicted time is awesome! See how I go! :smiley:

Agree 100% with this ^^ advice, you'll do great. I would just make sure I don't eat anything greasy during the day. Then again I've been known to eat McDonald's on the way to a race. Like you I run in the morning and races later in the day always make me nervous. Keep your legs loose during the day, but don't overdo it with excess walking or standing. Rest well the night before like usual, drink lots during the day and kill it!
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

@patrikc333 great achievement. And dont worry the crepes smell better than they taste!!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Still a few pages behind, so I'm dredging up some old news:

@krdews, congrats on the HM!! It sounds like you did quite well.
    @honunui, love the tat!
    @snha, for underwear I typically wear the Buck Naked model by Duluth Trading Post (though with all the weight I've lost they aren't as supportive as they used to be). I also have a couple pair of Adidas Supernova Short Tights which I wear by themselves. While I love how these feel, I'm a little self conscious in them. If I run in my neighborhood, I'll only wear these after dark, or I wear them where the likelihood of passing someone I know is very small. When bought them I wasn't' sure if they were to be worn alone, but they have reflective stripes and pockets so...
    @shanaber, I love the idea of putting your upcoming races in your signature line. It's hard to keep up on what everyone is training for otherwise.
    @kristinegift, congrats on the great HM! Why do I say great when you didn't reach your goal and made all of those mistakes? Because you had a great time, missing your PR by only 46 seconds IN SPITE OF all those mistakes!! I'm also impressed that you're able to honestly appraise your mistakes and come here and tell us about it so we might learn from it as well.

Upcoming Races
    10/31 - Monster Dash Half Marathon, St. Paul, MN
    11/26 - Turkey Trot 6K, St. Paul, MN - With my daughter and two neices.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    This is what Kody does for exercise on days I don't take him running:

• HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You are all amazing!! Love hearing about all of your strong finishes, new PR and new distances achieved!

10/1, 3 miles
    10/2, 5.2 miles
    10/3, 14 miles
    10/4, yoga for runners
    10/5, Zumba
    10/6, 4.75 miles
    10/7, 5.2 miles
    10/8, 8 miles
    10/9, rest
    10/10, local 5K here in Maine, finished in 25:31!!
    10/11, 6 mile hike
    10/12, 1 mile
    10/13, Zumba and yoga for runners
    10/14, 7.6 miles
    10/15, 5.0 miles
    10/16, 3.5 miles
    10/17, 10 miles
    10/18, 3.6 miles
    10/19, 5.2 miles

Goal: 85 miles. Total 79.15 miles.