Family Support

Options
So looking for ideas how to get my family behind my healthy eating habits We rarely eat the same meals I normally cook 2 thing one for my boys and husband and then good food for me. Does anyone else do this? I would love to just cook one thing but there is no way I am eating the stuff they like and I am sure they would say the same.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Cook the same thing for everyone. My daughter may eat more, or add another item, but she eats what i cook.
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I wish they eat no vegetables or salads no fish and chicken is a stretch. They live on pork and beef & noodles. I feel like I have tried everything. Then I feel bad because I am sometimes not even eating with them because my meal is still cooking.
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I cook one meal. I just have less or add a salad. Most of the meals I cook are pretty healthy anyway. Always a protein, carb and vegetable. Either baked, sautéed or boiled. Never fried.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    When I lived with a picky eater, we learned to compromise on what we'd both eat. Typically it'd end up being a casserole of some kind with a side. Sometimes the side would be just for me (a salad, for instance). Sometimes the side was something fatty/cheesy for him. And then the casserole would be made basically like a diabetic would want (reasonable on the carbs, low fat-ish) and then HIS portion would be topped with cheese or crust or whatever and my side didn't typically have cheese IN IT (but maybe I'd top it with a measured amount). But our favorite compromise was usually pizza or english muffin pizzas or pita pizzas. Again, mainly so I could control the portion of cheese on mine. But also because you could make a thai pizza pita and a meat lovers pizza pita and a veggie lover pizza pita, and people could pick. We always ate dinner together if we were home together. Even if it was breakfast for dinner.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    My family eats what I cook. If they don't like it, they go hungry or cook their own food. This isn't a restaurant and I don't hand out menus.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I cook one thing for all of us. I just make sure that I have a good portion of salad first so I don't over do it on the good stuff. For me to be successful in the long run, I am going to have to learn how to manage my portions and control my eating. I am too busy to cook more than one thing. If my husband or children do not like it, they can always make themselves a PB & J!
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I cook for just my kids and myself (most nights)...My son sounds exactly like your boys and only eats meat (chicken, turkey, beef or pork) and rice/noodles. So what I do is I make one meal that is friendly for him but I modify it for my daughter and myself.

For spaghetti and meat sauce night, I have mine over zoodles instead of pasta. If we do a beef or chicken stir fry with rice, I do a smaller portion and either eat mine on a bed of mixed greens or if I have time stir fry it with zoodles. I have the veggies cooked on the side for my daughter and always have fruit on the side too. I encourage him to try things but don't force it.

Tonight we are doing ground turkey "Korean" bowls I will sauté the turkey with the sauce and then have roasted zucchini and red peppers on the side that my daughter can add to top hers. I will have the turkey and sauce combo with the roast veggies over a salad. The kids will have rice. I have diced watermelon on the side too. It will be ready with in 15 minutes after walking in the door after swim practice too :)
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    My first thought is telling the kids they can eat what you make or go hungry. Trust me, they won't let themselves starve. Following along those lines, I assume that your husband is open to more than what the kids like so he can/should easily back you up.

Second thought was making a compromise. Four nights a week you cook what they generally eat. Have a small portion for yourself and have a generous side of something you enjoy (salad/veggies). The other three nights the family eats what you choose. That's fair enough.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Here it depends. Usually.. one meal. Don't care if my kids go to bed hungry. Some nights when we have leftovers though obviously it's more up to them and I'll make my own thing.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Tough love: they eat what you cook or they don't eat.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    At some point I grew up figuring things out. My mom worked full time with 4 kids and dad worked out of town. In 8th grade I decided I wasn't going to eat red meat anymore. They would go to McD's and I learned to cook up a mean grilled chicken breast.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    They need to eat vegetables! I find my kids are more likely to eat what is put in front of them if they haven't been allowed to snack. We all eat the same meal together, I do make compromises, they don't like some of the veg we do, so I do an extra veg for us, or steam their veg because they don't like stir fried, Number 1 Son doesn't like gravy or sauces, but no veg, no dessert!
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    I wish I started the eat what I cook a long time ago but at 15 and 13 oh and the worst 50 they expect what they like. I like the make your own pizza we used to do that when they were little not sure why we stopped. Well tonight is 2 meals again. Stack rice and corn for them and ? For me. I am going to work on this though getting tired of being a short order cook and then being called weird because I don't like what they eat. Lol
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I wish I started the eat what I cook a long time ago but at 15 and 13 oh and the worst 50 they expect what they like. I like the make your own pizza we used to do that when they were little not sure why we stopped. Well tonight is 2 meals again. Stack rice and corn for them and ? For me. I am going to work on this though getting tired of being a short order cook and then being called weird because I don't like what they eat. Lol

Why don't you have the steak over a bed of mixed greens with a nice vinaigrette and some blue cheese crumbles? A simple modification can make both you and them happy. My ex-husband was the same way--to this day he still eats no veggies. As for my son, I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, Ive tried forcing it in the past when he was younger and it just doesnt work. To be honest the main reason I cook dinner is for them when they are with me, so I am not going to make something that makes 1/3 of my family unhappy and refusing to eat....it just means leftovers I have to eat when they go to their dads.

• NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I will usually only make one thing for me and my husband, but on the occasion there is something for me, I will treat hubby with something he likes. He loves when I make pasta with bacon and spinach (I hate spinach and eat gluten-free) on a random day. I will also sometimes make chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes as a treat and eat a half portion. Other times I will make a nice pot of meat sauce and it's something he enjoys that he can make whenever he wants it. I won't go out of my way to make 2 different meals every day, but I will cook 2 different kinds of pasta or make pasta for him and veggies for me.

I'm not a short order cook. Eat what I make, fend for yourself, or just don't eat. Being picky is no excuse to stress me out or make my life more difficult and busy than it is already.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Get the kids eating healthy food. It's good for them and you will raise people who won't be able to blame you for their bad habits. Get your husband on board because the kids will groan and whine about he doesn't eat them, lol.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    We always pretty much eat separate from the kids, some meals like spag or stew we will eat together but my husband normally cooks spicy food not suitable for young kids. But each has their own taste i.e. my daughter wont eat stew but the boys gobble it up, boys dont eat salad but eat cucumbers whole (my dh doesn't eat tomato so I am used to making small side salads with different ingredients for whoever). But we do try to get dinner ready asap as otherwise they come home raid the fridge and dont eat dinner. On Mondays for example we dont bother making them dinner as my parents have them afterschool and they have usually had a sandwich, fruit and icecream by the time we pick them up (and thats fater they have alreday have afternoon tea at school). Baked beans is usually whats on offer for dinner if they are still hungry.

That being said if they dont eat whats given to them (shared meal or unshared) I dont make them something else they have to fend for themselves (even my 3yo has learnt to make pb sandwichs). The only rule is that it has to be healthy (yogurt, fruit, sandwich) it also means that if I did happen to get dessert for them that night they dont get any.

The older kids gets separate lunchboxes too. My daughter doesnt eat bread and likes things like olives, dips and grape tomartoes in her lunchbox. My older son sticks to a ham sandwich and apple and doesnt like to eat many other types of fruit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Good thing they are all old enough to cook for themselves. Stop catering to them. Mine is 15 and prior to my boy hitting adulthood, he ate what I cooked as well.
    Additionally, there is nothing wrong with you eating rice or corn, so get to it woman.
  • superhockeymom
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Not a fan of either but may later not sure. I hate steak tips though.
    Right now I am freaking because I ran in the woods and just found 2 ticks on my. I am seriously grossed out.

Yes later
    Rice
    Corn
    Cauliflower