Family Support

Options

Replies

• superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    But honestly I'm the one that eats different from them so I feel bad but it would be nice to just all sit and eat.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    But honestly I'm the one that eats different from them so I feel bad but it would be nice to just all sit and eat.

Well then you have two options:

A. Eat what they eat, just in portions that fit your needs

B. Decide that eating healthier is something that you all need to do as a family. As the kids are older, sit them down and explain and work on meal ideas together.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, so they eat what I cook, and the husband may make a separate meat dish to go with their (husband and our daughter) portion that I made
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    In going to work on this. Tomorrow will be rotisserie chicken or hamburgers crazy day with schedules. I'm all for the chicken.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I feed two athletes and a husband every day. My kids know that good nutrition is important to their training and competing. We eat the exact same meals every day unless they are eating something I am allergic to. I just eat less of the higher calorie choices, and more of the veggies and proteins.

Persistance pays off. Even my husband eats most veggies as long as I cook them the way they like them. Like brussels sprouts, they will only eat them roasted in a bit of oil and lots of salt. They wouldn't touch them boiled. Works for me, I love them roasted! And this is a significant victory, growing up he only ate peas, corn and carrots.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    1) Family support and family eating exactly the same things as you are not the same issue. They have different nutritional needs.

2) Are you the adult or what? You need to find ways to get your kids eating their veggies. Hide them in the meatloaf, cover them in cheese, or just put them on the plate and tell the kids they can't have seconds of anything until they eat them. Keep trying until everyone has found at least one veg they like. I highly recommend roasting for this purpose.

3) You are setting the whole family up for a weird dynamic, separating out "healthy/diet" vs. "normal" (aka, what most of the family is doing). Barring conflicting medical issues, everyone should be able to eat similar foods, with small adjustments (such as covering something with cheese for those who need more calories).
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    1) Family support and family eating exactly the same things as you are not the same issue. They have different nutritional needs.

2) Are you the adult or what? You need to find ways to get your kids eating their veggies. Hide them in the meatloaf, cover them in cheese, or just put them on the plate and tell the kids they can't have seconds of anything until they eat them. Keep trying until everyone has found at least one veg they like. I highly recommend roasting for this purpose.

3) You are setting the whole family up for a weird dynamic, separating out "healthy/diet" vs. "normal" (aka, what most of the family is doing). Barring conflicting medical issues, everyone should be able to eat similar foods, with small adjustments (such as covering something with cheese for those who need more calories).

I guess I titled it that because I was thinking they were not supporting my eating/ trying to loose weight but everyone's right I cater to them and segregate myself. Definitely going to work on it.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    That's a hard thing to do depending on how picky an eater they are. I have a little sister who's been picky since birth and at 21 shows no signs of changing. As a young child, she would sit and stare at her plate for hours.. Hours... Until my mother gave up on trying to make her eat certain foods. Oh, and it wasn't just veggies... She despises all condiments, sauces, salads of all kinds, beans, eggs, soups/stews, everything with onions, oeppers, etc added to it, any and all school cafeteria food since day one, etc.

I know a lot of people say their family will have to eat what they cook or starve, but that's a gray area for children like my sister who will literally go the entire day without eating. So my mother just made sure she always had something to eat.

If your family isn't that picky, then I would just make a mix of 'good' and 'bad' foods. You can't expect someone to change their preferences overnight, and it may just be a case of ignorance. I cooked a vegetable lasagna for my younger cousins and they simply weren't having it, but when I made them taste it, they said they liked it.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    That's a hard thing to do depending on how picky an eater they are. I have a little sister who's been picky since birth and at 21 shows no signs of changing. As a young child, she would sit and stare at her plate for hours.. Hours... Until my mother gave up on trying to make her eat certain foods. Oh, and it wasn't just veggies... She despises all condiments, sauces, salads of all kinds, beans, eggs, soups/stews, everything with onions, oeppers, etc added to it, any and all school cafeteria food since day one, etc.

I know a lot of people say their family will have to eat what they cook or starve, but that's a gray area for children like my sister who will literally go the entire day without eating. So my mother just made sure she always had something to eat.

If your family isn't that picky, then I would just make a mix of 'good' and 'bad' foods. You can't expect someone to change their preferences overnight, and it may just be a case of ignorance. I cooked a vegetable lasagna for my younger cousins and they simply weren't having it, but when I made them taste it, they said they liked it.

It's been a struggle since they were little and honestly my husband is more of a problem then a help he gags and practically cries if I put a bean or pea on his plate. Hard to get the boys yo try if fear old dad is carrying on like an infant. I do have one son that will eat Caesar salad so I guess it's something.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    What are they having that's so awful you can't eat it or have less cheese or bread with it?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Or you could eat some of what they're having, with some veggies on the side (eating together = win). Maybe if your kids actually see you enjoying some veggies, rather than just seeing their dad reject veggies, they might even try a veggie once in a while (= second win). And it might make it easier to meet that goal you recently set of eating at least 1200 calories a day (= third win). Win-win-win. What's not to like?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Or you could eat some of what they're having, with some veggies on the side (eating together = win). Maybe if your kids actually see you enjoying some veggies, rather than just seeing their dad reject veggies, they might even try a veggie once in a while (= second win). And it might make it easier to meet that goal you recently set of eating at least 1200 calories a day (= third win). Win-win-win. What's not to like?

This is awesome advice!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    My husband was like that when we first met. Now he eats whatever I give him. Consider this: healthy food doesn't have to taste like crap. And you can still give your males their daily dose of hunter/gatherer while feeding them broccoli. Broccoli is a favorite of my husbands, all I have to do is steam it FRESH (give up NOW on frozen veggies, cause there isn't anything you can do to make those steam right/taste good IMHO) and for them, smother it with a little butter and salt to taste. They will grow to like it. Or do healthy food meals, but make a really tasty gravy for them to pour over it. A favorite at our house is pork chops, broccoli/asparagus, and sometimes corn or noodles, with a light turkey gravy for them and none for me.

I'm also one foot in the "suck it up" camp though. Like @MommyL2015 said, you are not an Olive Garden mmmmmkay? You can't be expected to make different meals for different people all the time unless hubby and the boys are willing to shell out $12 per plate plus a tip. I wouldn't even say anything to them. Just make the food you'r gonna make, butter/gravy/seasoning on the side for them to use at will, and serve it up. If they can't be bothered to cook for themselves, then I guess they aren't that hungry are they?
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Here's the way it works in my house. My wife cooks herself dinner. If her dinner fits into my nutritional needs I eat it. If it doesn't I make myself a dinner that does. If the kiddo wants something other than what my wife or I are cooking, she makes it herself.

IMHO no one should be forced to eat food they don't like or don't want. We do make the kiddo try different foods. Tiny amounts, if she doesn't like it she can spit it out.

My wife was more than a little miffed when I started "rejecting" her dinners. Her rationale was it's too much work to cook multiple dinners. I pointed out it's no more work for her, so why should she care. Things have settled down since then. :-)

While working through this I had an epiphany. She was cooking herself dinner. I was eating the extra portions. Since I've started "packing my own chute," weight loss has become MUCH easier.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna disagree with @ZeroDelta a little bit here, although with a caveat: clearly what his family is doing is working for them, and everyone's family works differently. So more power ZD. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm glad you were able to find something that worked for you, and who knows, maybe it will work for her too.

But I do wanna play devil's advocate here. Maybe people SHOULD be forced to eat food they don't like or want, or rather, CHILDREN should be. You only have so much time to teach your kids the very important lesson that sometimes, you have to do things you don't want to do, don't like, or are uncomfortable in order to attain a desired goal, or to avoid a worse consequence. In this case, that goal is good health and the consequence is poor health. If you were to try out what ZeroDelta's family does, what do you think everyone would eat? Would you approve of your sons eating macaroni and cheese 4 nights a week? Or pizza rolls? Or any number of other easy-to-make-easy-to-eat meals that are awful for them? Obviously, you can't force your husband to eat something he doesn't want to. He's a grown-*kitten* man and your control there is limited at best. But you're your sons' mother. You have a sacred natural RIGHT to wield some power and control in their lives until they come of age. I'm not advocating you make them suffer or do crazy stuff that will ensure they end up with eating disorders obviously, but I also don't think you throw in the towel and let them eat whatever the hell they want whenever they want without maintaining some standards (again, ZeroDelta, I do assume you have rules surrounding your daughter's dinners, I'm not saying you don't, I just don't have that info is all, I'm really not going about with some awful idea about you as a father or anything:) I promise). You have a right to tell a child how things are going to be while they are dependent upon you for basic life sustaining stuff is what I'm saying. And someday they'll for sure be off on their own making bad choices when you CAN'T be there to stop them.

So just some healthy food for thought. This doesn't have to be an either/or situation. Maybe consider too, phasing things in real slowly. 7 years ago when hubby and I got together, his choice of dinner was literally a bowl of meat. He called it "bowl 'o' meat". That's not a joke. I'm serious. I had to start out by grinding up canned green beans to mush and adding them to hamburger helper or sloppy joes. And now he eats broccoli, green beans, zucchini, asparagus, fish(used to hate it!), you name it. I think a lot of his problem was that the "veggies" he was exposed to in his youth were always frozen in bags, then microwaved. I don't blame him for thinking they were disgusting, those were. Fresh is not.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    All I can say is please try not to raise your kids to be fussy adults. Think of their future wife and what they are going to have to go through.

Put your foot down with your hubby and kids, and stick to it. If they want to eat and not go hungry, then they will want to come around pretty quickly :wink:
  • ZeroDelta
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    Would you approve of your sons eating macaroni and cheese 4 nights a week? Or pizza rolls? Or any number of other easy-to-make-easy-to-eat meals that are awful for them?

I'm very fortunate. My daughter is leaning toward pollo vegetarianism. While she may eat a fair amount of macaroni and cheese, she also usually eats a large salad and some protein with it. She's a smart kid. She learns from other people's mistakes. :smiley: )
  • ZeroDelta
    Options
    All I can say is please try not to raise your kids to be fussy adults. Think of their future wife and what they are going to have to go through.

Or teach them to cook so they don't have to rely on their future spouse. :smile: :wink:

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ZeroDelta wrote: »

Or teach them to cook so they don't have to rely on their future spouse. :smile: :wink:

Haha very good point :lol::+1: