Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth ... I have a friend who is suffering from a dementia disease. At first, 3 or 4 years ago, she was having 'senior moments' when thinking; we used to compare notes about it and laugh at our frustration to not be able to complete a sentence because we forgot the word we were about to say next. I remember the day we met for lunch at Denny's and she told me she had been diagnosed with an illness, she couldn't remember the name of it, but it had something to do with her brain's frontal lobes; she pointed to the area on her head where receding hairline is so noticable, on either side of the head, in front. She also said that it wasn't Alzheimers ... a disease she feared she would one day have because her mom had it in the years before she died. She also said she was perfectly fine and healthy, just forgetful. Currently, my friend is living in an apartment complex for people over 55 ... it's called a senior complex, and you must be able to live independently to live there. Her forgetfulness is such that she cannot complete any sentence without forgetting many words. Her personality is also undergoing some changes and she is more angry and uses the word 'hate' a lot. Now she says she has alzheimers, but her long-term care insurance denied her coverage saying she didn't have enough of the number of health difficulties that would allow the benefit to kick in. One of her children has power of attorney over her and has taken away her car and sold it, doesn't let her have any more than 20 dollars in cash on herself, and, according to my friend, complains every time she visits, which is once a week. The rest of the time, my friend is in the apartment with no car and a half mile walk down a loney, no side-walk private road to get to the main drag road in that area. I suggested my friend make acquaintances with some of the other residents and perhaps join in on some of the activites the complex sponsors but she doesn't want to do that. I feel so sorry and bad for her. She called at suppertime yesterday and we talked for a long time. I told her that the CMA awards were on TV (she loves country music) but that it didn't start for a couple of hours. After the awards were on TV, I called her to remind her and she had, of course, completely forgotten about it. She also didn't know how to find the channel on the TV. I feel depressed when I think about her situation, and then a worry steals itself into my own mind about the future evolution of my own 'memory' issues. Then, I had a peanut butter and banana sandwich with a glass of milk, just to make myself feel beter (?).

Somehow, in perspective of the real seriousness of my friends plight, being a fat old lady who wants to be thin isn't such a bad place to be after all. But then, my reasons to want to be thinner don't have much to do with looks and everything to do with better health in the future ... less weight for these arthritic joints, less mass for this cardiovascular system, less fats and sugar buildups in my blood stream; so I must keep up the struggle.

Follow through
    Niki
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    @kah68 ...sorry I missed you when I posted. Glad to hear you are getting better, albeit slowly. I am really having a 'senior-moment' here ... all this time I've been thinking you are recovering from a shoulder surgery and now I realize you had something done on your leg! Call me 'upside-down' and 'dizzy'.
    Niki

Ha! Probably confusing me with Karen, who was working through a shoulder injury. I had Achilles tendon reconstruction surgery in October. I knew going in, it was a slow recovery.

I am so sorry for your friends decline in mental health, Alzheimer’s is a difficult disease. My mom’s aunt and uncle both suffered from it—very hard to watch. A very close co-worker was diagnosed with dementia about 8 years ago, shortly after she retired. I haven’t heard from her in years so wonder if it developed into Alzheimer’s. It sounds like your friend doesn’t have much of a support system, which makes it even more difficult—someone needs to fight for her and help her work through the denial of the long-term insurance. Do you know her financial situation? She really needs a good doctor to help her through these years, there are medications she can try and there are memory care facilities (my uncle was placed in one, just a regular house so he felt very at ease). I know Medicare doesn’t cover memory care facilities but there may be some skilled nursing facilities with memory care sections that she may be able to get into. She may not be able to be on her own anymore, worth looking in to. But if she's resistant to that type of help, doctor's can offer suggestions so she can remember things. Its sad, but often when patient's reach this stage and they don't have a doctor or family in their corner to help them through it they become angry, resentful and decline rather quickly. :cry:
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Geez, its November already and it just dawned on me that tomorrow is my birthday? Where does the time go?! :astonished:
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Men Make Dinner Day!
    What the heck is ‘National Men Make Dinner Day’?

National Men Make Dinner Day!

Are you a man who makes dinner on a regular or semi-regular basis?
    If this describes you, then, send us your best recipe !
    If you are a guy who never cooks, and doesn't know the difference between spaghetti and a spatula, then, READ ON, this site is for YOU!
    Ok, now since you’ve continued reading, we assume that you are a man who NEVER cooks. And that you fit the profile of the ‘men’ who have inspired this once-a-year occasion.

The ideal participant in ‘National Men Make Dinner Day’ is the man who:
    • Helps with household chores
    • Has a sense of humour and is a great all-around guy
    • Loves his wife/girlfriend, kids and pets
    BUT NEVER LEARNED HOW TO COOK!
    …and is somewhat afraid of the idea.
    Officially celebrated on the FIRST THURSDAY OF EVERY NOVEMBER, ‘National Men Make Dinner Day’ is for you!!
    One guaranteed meal cooked by the man of the house one day of the year!

Official Rules
    Rule #1: National men make dinner day is always celebrated on the first Thursday of each November.
    Rule #2: Man agrees to participate in national men make dinner day. Bonus points if he does so without seeking promise of night out with boys in return.
    Rule #3: Man, completely un-aided, chooses a 'published' recipe from any source, or Internet. Getting the recipe from 'her' cookbooks is allowed, but man gets bonus points if the recipe isn't already somewhere in the house.
    Rule #4: Main meal must include minimum of 4 ingredients and require at least one cooking utensil other than a fork
    Rule #5: Man goes shopping for 'all' necessary ingredients. Bonus points if he takes inventory of cupboards and fridge first, before shopping trip. So you don't end up with two 64 ounce jars of pickled pimentos.
    Rule #6: Man organizes all necessary ingredients in order of importance on kitchen counter. At this point, he may need to make a phone call or shout out the word 'honey'! Followed by a question. This is not allowed.
    Rule #7: Man may, if desired, turn on radio or his favourite CD. Man agrees not to be within 30 feet of TV remote during cooking process. At this point, spouse and any other family members should not be anywhere near kitchen. (unless smoke detector goes off!)
    Rule #8: Following recipe carefully, man starts to cook dinner! Apron is optional, (bonus points if recipe includes one of the following : capers, saffron, or the word 'scallopini').
    Rule #9: Man must use the 'clean as he goes along' rule! Following each completed use of utensils, cookware, half-used jars of anything, spice bottles, etc., everything is rinsed, cleaned and put away
    Rule #10: Man sets table, candles are lit, beverages are poured, no ketchup bottles, sour cream containers, or big boxes of salt on table.
    Rule #11: Spouse and/or family members are served! This is an opportune time for a photo. Man is 'allowed' to gloat no more than three times during the meal. Family is encouraged to congratulate man on job well done. Family dog is not allowed to be secretly fed man's cooking.
    Rule #12: After meal, table is cleared by man, dishwasher is loaded. Man returns to table for stimulating after-dinner conversation. At this point, man is told how much his meal was appreciated. He, in turn, describes the joys and challenges of the experience. He is given a hug, and his TV remote is returned to him.
    I will be making some salmon tonight since Amy took some out of the frig. She did not realize that it is National Men Make Dinner Day. I will have to find a good recipe for it, wish me luck!

” The... patient should be made to understand that he or she must take charge of his own life. Don't take your body to the doctor as if he were a repair shop.” ~Quentin Regestein

11857432.png

Tom
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth: I guess it's about time for me to chime in. It looks like the posts from some of us regulars have been getting few and far between. I am happy to see more the last couple of days. I hate when life gets in the way.
    AFM: I am just a taxi driver most of the time. DH has the Fit and Fall Proof excercise class twice a week, and PT twice a week, plus dr. appts here and there. Today we have to go to Costco in Nampa to get his new glasses. He is still experiencing a lot of numbness and discomfort with his hands. They are cold all the time. I got him some fingerless gloves, but they don't help as much as I had hoped they would.
    My weight is pretty much the same. I'm not doing well at all with controlling what I eat. I was getting a regular walk, but Monday night I fell. Tripped on the uneven sidewalk in the dark. I have a headlamp, but fell anyway. I have some sore spots, especially my left wrist. My neightbor loaned me a wrist brace that really helps. I'm sure nothing is broken, but it is sure a nuisance. We will have to find a place to walk that doesn't involve the sidewalks as they are all in pretty poor repair in this little town. I don't like having to go out after dark, but my schedule just doesn't allow for any other time. At least, I have family to go with me.
    My oldest son has gotten a new job in Portland, OR and will be moving on Saturday. His wife will stay here until they find a suitable situation for them. He only had 2 weeks to make arrangements. I'm happy for him, but worry about how long it will take them to find a place where she can take her 8 cats. She doesn't want to go without them, but I need her to move so I can get my house ready to sell.
    Well, thanks for listening. Keep posting. I'm always here lurking and reading. One of these days, things will settle down and I can do better with my own goals.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • MrsMorgori
    MrsMorgori Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    National Men Make Dinner Day! Guess I'll watch the Football game :D .....right after I make supper <3
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I will have to go tell my hubby thanks for participating in National Men Make Dinner Day. He fixed dinner for the boys and now they are watching football. I stepped back over the 50# lost mark, thanks to my cold and lost appetite, I lost 3.4 pounds last week. I REALLY need to start logging again though or that will all come back.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Kelley- Happy Birthday, Best wishes for the years ahead. Hope you have a great day.

Kaye- I am happy that you didn't break anything when you fell. Wishing you the best with all the appointments and I hope life settles down for you and DH.

Niki- Sending prayers for your friends. There are some homelier facilities available as well that providing nursing support and companionship services. She might be able to look into those.

Mrs. Morgori- Glad to see you pop in. I hope Tom makes dinner for you tonight.

Tom- I hope you cook dinner tonight.

Well, it has been another hectic day for me. Good and bad things happened today. Good I came to the realization that I don't need to serve another term as president of the Friends of Kinder Farm Park unless I truly want to. There is someone who is willing to step up if needed. That was a major weight off my shoulders and I felt so free. Chances are I will serve again and be happy about it. At the same time this lightbulb finally went off- I also realized that I want to go back to school and study sign language interpreting. So right now I am looking into a couple of programs at community colleges that offer the certification program. This will open up new doors for me and career options. Plus, I will most likely be changing jobs next year. My co-worker will most likely be moving at the end of the school year and I don't want to break in a new partner right now. It won't be the same without her so I will just for a new job as well. Depending on the program I might try to take a year off as a sabbatical to study but don't know if that will work. I am feeling good about all that and it is a relief to have made a few choices.

The bad news came this afternoon as I getting ready to go into the gym. My dad is back in the hospital again. He as blisters on his back that he developed when he was in the nursing home in August and they have been healing. However, there is one that is not healing and now it has been confirmed that he has MRSA. This is a never ending battle with the blisters. He will be in the hospital for a couple of days at least. He wants to come home but is unable to walk on his own. Not sure what will happen next and so it starts all over again. The hospital is monitoring my dad's health so hopefully, they can get this infection under control. Then I learned that my chiropractor's mom passed away on Saturday and the funeral is this Saturday. Won't be able to make it due to other commitments.

Tomorrow, I am getting the last adjustments for my bike done so that will be nice. I hope the feeling of relief that I experienced earlier today will come back tomorrow but who knows.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

• Nikion901
    Options
    @kah68 ... happy birthday!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Friday Fitness .. I'm hoping to be up and around again today. After 2 days doing yard work, I had to spend yesterday; the last beautiful and dry day; inside resting my sore body, I even broke down and took a pain med. But this morning I am feeling much better and was hoping I could return to the yard work ... but's it's raining now.

However, I can do hard work inside on Saturday ... today I have appointments that will keep me otherwise occupied. Also, since physical movements will be limited, I need to focus on my food plans for the weekend. Yesterday I made a meat-based bullion and cooked beets so I could make a traditional Borscht and also a traditional salad called Vinegret. Those are on my plan for cooking today. On Sunday, I want some kind of casserole dish ... maybe an eggplant parm.

@grandmakaye44 ... and @Lauriek70 ... my heart goes out to both of you at the health situations your loved ones are going through.

AFM, it must have been the extra hard work I did in the back yard that caused my body to want more food, and specifically more protein ... not on the first day of extra hard work, but on the second day and again on yesterday. My calories were up by about 500 each of those days than I have normally been eating ... but I don't know if I actually expended that many in the 2 days of yard work. This morning I woke up hungry and had an egg for breakfast an hour earlier than I normally have my first meal. Will be paying very close attention to today's food and looking forward with trepidation to my Check-in on Monday.
    Follow-through
    Niki

PS ... @AngelikaLumiere ...glad you are feeling better. Yes ... log!

@Morgori and @MrsMorgori ... that was funny ... Tom posts about men cooking and his wife posts that she is cooking dinner! Gave me a chuckle.
  • Morgori
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Birthday Kelley! Hope the tendon is getting better!th_HBSmileyBlowsWhistle.gif

Happy National Nachos Day !
    It’s National Nachos Day! Nachos are a popular Mexican dish that can be served as a snack, appetizer, or main course. The perfect recipe for nachos includes a huge plate of stacked tortilla chips topped with lots of melted cheese, salsa, sour cream, jalapenos, and guacamole!
    Nachos originated in the city of Piedras Negras, Mexico. One night in 1943, the wives of ten U.S. soldiers stationed at Fort Duncan arrived at a restaurant called Victory Club after it had already closed for the evening. Restaurant employee Ignacio "Nacho" Anaya quickly put together what he had left in the kitchen for the women, and called the dish "Nachos Especiales." Word about this tasty treat quickly spread throughout Mexico and Texas. Anaya went on to open his own nacho restaurant and his original nacho recipe was printed in St. Anne's Cookbook in 1954.
    Celebrate National Nachos Day by having a big plate stacked high with delicious nachos. Bake your own version or head to your local Mexican restaurant. Enjoy!

"Just because you're not sick doesn't mean you're healthy." ~Author Unknown

11857432.png

I did pretty good on the dinner last night, but I forgot to put the eggs in the Cauliflower tots th_s068.gif. They were still pretty good, but will be better when Mrs.M makes them with all the parts :) . The salmon was good though :)

nmcd1_zpskns014ei.jpg

Tom
  • MrsMorgori
    MrsMorgori Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It was Delish :) Can't wait til next year :wink: <3
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am impressed Tom! I showed the article to Gene; then I cooked. I gotta say though he fixes breakfast most mornings....poached eggs/toast.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday and wishing everyone a great weekend.

It was a busy and long day.

Friday fitness, I love rock climbing indoors and tonight I was able to indulge my passion. It was great climb tonight after being off for two weeks due to other events. It always amazes me how my arms feel after a long break from climbing. I am sure I will feel it tomorrow but that is okay. Sunday, I am looking forward to a long bike ride with a friend. Can't wait since it will be the first ride on my new bike.

Tom- great job on dinner. Nacho day sound good to me but alas not tonight. Maybe this weekend for nacho's.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday, Kelley!!!

• AngelikaLumiere
    Options
    My Friday fitness was all about running around town to get my new teenager's birthday party stuff. My feet hurt. It was well worth it though. I may not have to worry about getting exercise now that I have two teenagers in the house. Although I don't imagine a 12 year old is all that more tame than a 13 year old.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    @kah68 - Happy birthday, hope you had a wonderful day and many more.
    Friday Fitness - Since I got my Misfit Shine I've walked 178 miles! According to MapMyWalk, I've logged 6.1 miles this week walking at work (that's included in the MS total). I haven't been to the gym in several months but I am still trying to get my activity in. I feel a bit more grounded now that we might have full-time home health assistance, and it's helping me stay on top of my snacking. Now if I could just get some sleep! I'm hoping for some movement on the scale soon. Been on a plateau since July, time to get off.
    Miss everyone posting, it's a highlight of my day to catch up with all my friends here.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    Options
    Oh my no one has posted for Saturday yet. Today was fun and fattening, my son's 13th birthday (actually yesterday), he has two friends over for a sleep over so I am not expecting a whole lot of sleep tonight. I plan to be a good girl for the rest of the week.
  • Nikion901
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Sunday Share ... We had two birthdays in a row this week in my extended family, and the 97th memorial for my dads birthday is next week, which makes me think of the Zodiac as these three are Scorpio men. No, I don't 'believe' in the Horoscope, but I do read it as an interesting passtime ... but then, that's probably because I am a Pisces and like to delve into the unknown.

Delving into the unknown is what we each do when we start something new becaue we don't have much, if any, basis for comparison about it except for what other's who have 'gone there and done that' have shared. That's why, I think, threads such as this one can be so valuable in the weight-loss struggle ... if only people do share what worked and didn't work for them; what steps they are taking now toward achieving their goal; and how that's coming along.

AFM ... even though my knees are shot and so are my spine and hip flexors, I have pledged to do the MFP 28-day Squat Challege, starting today. For today, it's 2 sets of 15 reps each ... and they do not have to be done one right after the other, just as long as I get both sets in today. IF anyone is interested, go the MFP Blogs ... Hello Healthy.

For those who want to know about it but don't want to browse for the online info ... (there are videos in the blog for how to do it) ... here are the challenge instructions for this week. I will let you all know how I am doing on them as the week goes on.

Instructions
    Barre Squats ... To start, step about an arm's length away from a sturdy, high-backed chair. Hold lightly onto the chair back for support, stand tall with feet facing forward. Raise your heels up, and bend your knees so that they track directly over your feet.

Bend your knees and lower down until you feel tension in your thigh and buttock muscles (a few inches). Stand back up to the start by gently contracting your buttocks and straghtening your knees.

As you do this exercise, stay tall by pulling your ab muscles in toward your spine, lifing your chest and rolling your shoulders back. If you feel any knee pain, stay high and limit the range of motion. Breath in on down and exhale on up.

Day 1 -2 set of 15 reps
    Day 2- 2 sets of 20 reps
    Day 3 - rest
    Day 4 - 2 sets of 20 reps
    Day 5 - 3 set sof 15 reps
    Day 6 - 3 set of 20 reps
    Day 7 - rest

Follow-through
    Niki
  • Morgori
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Happy Cook Something Bold Day!
    Date When Celebrated : Always November 8
    According to it's creator, Wellcat.com, Cook Something Bold Day is designed to encourage us to cook something bold and daring, that will fill up the house with warm, "homey" odors. It is celebrated in the month of November, as houses are closed up for the winter, and capture the cooking smells.
    We hope you cook up a storm today, and have a very happy Cook Something Bold Day!!!
    I have a 13 lbs. brisket in the smoker today and MrsM is going to put a roast in the crockpot overnight so it will fill up the house with warm, "homey” odors

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.” ~Les Brown

11857432.png

Tom