i just cant...

Options
1235»

Replies

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    So when you gained weight you activly chose to over eat and gain weight.

Yup. That's exactly what happened. I chose poorly.

However, 3 hours of sleep and a broken sewer line are not the worst excuses I've ever heard for choosing to slack off on exercise or a small amount of comfort eating. Its also OK to cut yourself a little slack now and then, too.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Regardless of how condescending a statement sounds to YOU, it is really the truth, and it really is that easy. IF we buy cosmic brownies, I cannot NOT eat them, I lack self control when it comes to those (And they are not even that good). When I whine about this to my husband he says "Just don't eat them" And then I want to punch him, BUT I know I really just want to punch myself (And eat all the brownies) It makes me dislike my own inability to just not eat them. SO, I just don't buy them. I do have the self control to NOT bring them into my home, I do not have enough self control to not eat the box once they are home.
    I am on day 120, and the hardest thing to learn is self control, the other crap is Math. For me, it is WANTING to be thin, more than WANTING to grab a kit kat every single time I walk by the candy dish. IT is also not eating in private very much, I'm still pretty good, but not perfect. I went to Fazolis yesterday with my husband and kids. HEllo all the bread sticks you can eat, I had already logged before we went in. IT was much easier to not eat more than the 2 I logged, because I was with my husband, not that he would say anything mean..but it helps me.
    It really does come down to calories in, calories out and the self control to make that happen.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    Regardless of how condescending a statement sounds to YOU, it is really the truth, and it really is that easy. IF we buy cosmic brownies, I cannot NOT eat them, I lack self control when it comes to those (And they are not even that good). When I whine about this to my husband he says "Just don't eat them" And then I want to punch him, BUT I know I really just want to punch myself (And eat all the brownies) It makes me dislike my own inability to just not eat them. SO, I just don't buy them. I do have the self control to NOT bring them into my home, I do not have enough self control to not eat the box once they are home.
    I am on day 120, and the hardest thing to learn is self control, the other crap is Math. For me, it is WANTING to be thin, more than WANTING to grab a kit kat every single time I walk by the candy dish. IT is also not eating in private very much, I'm still pretty good, but not perfect. I went to Fazolis yesterday with my husband and kids. HEllo all the bread sticks you can eat, I had already logged before we went in. IT was much easier to not eat more than the 2 I logged, because I was with my husband, not that he would say anything mean..but it helps me.
    It really does come down to calories in, calories out and the self control to make that happen.

You're wrong you know

You absolutely do want to punch him

:bigsmile:
  • tinger12
    tinger12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I personally dislike the catch all ideas of "self control" or "will power." They are easy terms and easy to use a a catch all. But as someone who KNEW for many years that I was doing physical harm and deepening mental harm to myself pointing the blame on self control or lack of will power is just too simplistic and possibly ignorant.

When some have gotten to the point of their mental health affecting their physical health, the ability to make correct decisions can become difficult. I know it has for me. I completely understood what was happening as my depression took control. I knew trying to comfort my depression with food was irrational and physically damaging. I understood the ramifications. I even told myself over and over as I plowed through a loaf of bread and a half jar of peanut butter that what I was doing was eventually going to kill me. At the least make my life even more miserable. I wanted to stop, but it was like the motions were being driven by another me telling me this is the way to feel better. It was the same response when the depression episodes got so bad that I didn't want to get out of bed or do anything. I knew it was wrong and I should not wallow in my depression as it made it worse. But, I was helpless.

Too many people assume because the ideas of self control and will power worked for them it should work for all. I disagree to an extent. Yes they can play a role in most people, but there are sometimes major obstacles to overcome that have a stronger grip that makes a person's self control and willpower ineffective. At least until the main reasons are overcome in some way.

I am not an expert at all in any of this, but I looked at myself as I destroyed my life over 25 years and saw these patterns of losing control over the most basic things about myself. Once I and my doctor were able to figure the real causes, then finding an effective way to control or over come those causes allowed my own self control and willpower to exert themselves. I believe, again I am no expert with zero formal training in how the mind works, I have gained some of my ability to not allow my mind to control me during those episodes of severe depression. I am learning to control and adjust to them. This gives me the abilities of my will power and self control to help me make better decisions.

Please note that this is how I am getting through this and is in no way the same for anyone else. Also, I still have bad times and struggle many days with not over eating to comfort my depression. It will always be a struggle for me. Right now things are working good. Down 74 pounds in 18 weeks.
  • ZeXea
    ZeXea Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    i think i just take the "have self control" in a condescending way and that very could be my own perception and wrong.
    I think "this is on you, you have the power to make it happen" is pretty much the opposite of condescending.

I think the way you said it sounds better than, "you just need to control yourself". One is empowering, the other one reminds me of my mom yelling at me in the bathroom at church for not sitting still in my seat.

They both say the same thing. You need to control yourself. You're the only one who can.

They don't say it in the same way. There is a reason people chose to use language in different ways. You can convey the same message multiple ways.

I could tell someone:

"I would like you to shut up right now."

OR

"Can we please talk about this later?"

They say the same thing, but one is inflammatory.
    Thank you :) I think you explained something I have been trying to figure out how to word for some time now! :)

I dont think it's helpful to be told 'Are you a child? Can you not control yourself?' That isnt helpful or motivating, it puts me down. I dont know why people cant understand that those comments arent helpful. (By people I mean the person who actually writes those things).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    not sure if its because I got 3 hours of sleep due to a sewage like breaking under my house haha buuut. I find the responses of "will power" and "self control" so aggravating. So when you gained weight you activly chose to over eat and gain weight. Those things are learned over time after trial and error of adapting CICO. Ive said it before, if it were as easy as self control then id just about assume no one on the planet would ever gain weight or fall victim to bad choices.

For me it wasn't just will power and self control, it was all about food choices. When I ate SAD, I craved sweets and felt hungry most of the time. Back then it all came down to will power but when I felt tired, shakey and cranky from hunger, will power was not going to win - especially over the many months it would take to lose my extra fat.

Then I switched my eating to a very LCHF diet. I needed willpower for about a week to get through the cravings and hunger I was denying. I could do such a short stint of self control. Less than a week isn't much time. Doable.

Once I got through that I no longer needed will power and self control. My hunger dropped to very low levels and my physical cravings for foods (carbs specifically) virtually disappeared. Mentally I would still love to have a pop or cinnabon, but I'd also like to drive down the median during rush hour and never do house work. It went from being a physical craving or need to a mental desire which was very easy to ignore.

My point is that I agree. Some of us are never going to have the will power to be miserable for months at a time. I couldn't do it and I tried - repeatedly. For me, I had to remove the need for self control and will power over food by changing my food choices. I had to cut way back on carbs. It worked. Weight loss is pretty easy now... Something to consider for those interested.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    when i gained some weight over the last few years, i just did not really care one way or another about it! self control was just not needed in that department at the time....when i started to care about my health & extra weight, self control did indeed play a big role in me fulfilling my original goal in three months..without self control, i would of easily eaten and enjoyed ALL the NY cheesecake slices, chocolate crossaints and the yummy dark chocolate fudge that's been in my freezer since day one..

your 'know you should stop but, don't because you enjoy it', is a choice..if you really wanted to stop, you would!

I allow all foods I love in my house. I open container, weigh portion (more or less depending on caloric macro needs), put container away, and enjoy. I was only able to get to this place by realizing there is no good or bad foid, there is just food.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've given people the "It all comes down to willpower" answer before, and every time I do I get so annoyed with myself; because on one hand, that really is the bottom line, but on the other, it's such a facile, content-free answer. Just have self-control! OMG I haz a genius! Surely I am the only person in the world to have ever had that insight or pointed it out to anyone!

I feel like if people could exercise self-control around food, they would. I really, really doubt anyone sits down to eat with the legitimate intention of becoming obese, or if they do, they're a pretty small minority. Telling someone to just exercise self-control is like telling an aspiring basketball player to just add six inches onto their vertical jump: true, probably, but truth value and helpfulness value are not the same thing. I like the idea of suggesting specific goals and behaviors much better.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    People who are judgmental bug me, too. But, there are too many around these days in life to let them bother me too much.

It's such a part of the internet, I think.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    i think i just take the "have self control" in a condescending way and that very could be my own perception and wrong.
    I think "this is on you, you have the power to make it happen" is pretty much the opposite of condescending.

I think the way you said it sounds better than, "you just need to control yourself". One is empowering, the other one reminds me of my mom yelling at me in the bathroom at church for not sitting still in my seat.

They both say the same thing. You need to control yourself. You're the only one who can.

They don't say it in the same way. There is a reason people chose to use language in different ways. You can convey the same message multiple ways.

I could tell someone:

"I would like you to shut up right now."

OR

"Can we please talk about this later?"

They say the same thing, but one is inflammatory.
    I didn't say that they say it in the same way. What I have said, multiple times, is that if you think there's a better way to say something, say it that way.

Maybe if there was less time spent policing others' tones, there'd be more time to make all of these eloquent posts everyone seems to think they can be making.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    People who are judgmental bug me, too. But, there are too many around these days in life to let them bother me too much.

Me too

Also people who fail to see irony
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Me too

Also people who fail to see irony
    There's a lot of that going around, too.

• MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    when i gained some weight over the last few years, i just did not really care one way or another about it! self control was just not needed in that department at the time....when i started to care about my health & extra weight, self control did indeed play a big role in me fulfilling my original goal in three months..without self control, i would of easily eaten and enjoyed ALL the NY cheesecake slices, chocolate crossaints and the yummy dark chocolate fudge that's been in my freezer since day one..

your 'know you should stop but, don't because you enjoy it', is a choice..if you really wanted to stop, you would!

I allow all foods I love in my house. I open container, weigh portion (more or less depending on caloric macro needs), put container away, and enjoy. I was only able to get to this place by realizing there is no good or bad foid, there is just food.
    :) oh i do agree on allowing most foods 'i love' in my house too! some, like ones in my freezer, are high in calories and just don't offer enough nutritients for me to fit them into my current 1261 daily calories, so i talk myself out of eating them..when i switch to maintenance calories, i will enjoy them more often for sure.