The deal on sugar

Soo.. Nursing major here.. In my opinion cutting out sugar is a bad idea for a lot of reasons like decrease in brain activity, messing up insulin and glucose levels, body will start to use up muscle mass for energy which we want muscle cause it burns more energy which is calories. Your fat is the last thing to go when starving yourself or depriving a thing like sugar. Quick fact: your brain uses 50% of sugar you consume!

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Sugar intake is a personal choice. I go over all the time. I imagine there are several people here with diabetes/IR who don't dare go over. It's personal and individual. Also, you are in nursing major need of sources here.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    You neglected to add context to your remarks. What kind of sugar? I agree that cutting all sugars, like those found in dairy, vegetables and fruit would be unwise. Why? Because they are nutrient dense foods packed with vitamins and minerals and many people shy away from them in the name of cutting sugar and I personally don't see how they are getting enough nutrition without those foods.

The simple fact, though, is that the body will produce the glucose it needs even if you don't ingest sugar in any form.

As a nursing student, you should look into the science of this a bit more.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    I don't cut sugar.

If someone wants to cut sugar, I think it would be ideal if it were done for a cogent reason. Even if it's done because of a derpy Facebook inforgraphic or a laughably bad "documentary," though, that's his call. The issue, imo, is when people start telling others what they should or shouldn't eat.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    I don't cut sugar.

If someone wants to cut sugar, I think it would be ideal if it were done for a cogent reason. Even if it's done because of a derpy Facebook inforgraphic or a laughably bad "documentary," though, that's his call. The issue, imo, is when people start telling others what they should or shouldn't eat.

+1

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    I agree with these two ladies.

Also, sugar is not good or bad. I think it's smart to keep an eye on added sugar so you are not filling up your calorie bank with too many treats that do not have much nutritional value. In other words, moderation in all things.

Since you are a nursing student, it will be wise to come back and post some peer reviewed sources for discussion. :)
  • sarahdayski
    sarahdayski Posts: 125 Member
    Everything in moderation, your body needs something from everything. I overdosed on sugar a few days last week and both days ended up feeling lethargic and achy, so back on track now.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    I don't cut sugar.

Agree with this too. You gotta have a reason to cut back on sugar, or anything else for that matter, because sugar is sugar and food is food.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I don't cut sugar.

+1
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Yes, my favorite thread. The ones that come from people who are students or interns in a healthcare field that tell us what is good/bad.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    raemj1721 wrote: »
    Soo.. Nursing major here.. In my opinion cutting out sugar is a bad idea for a lot of reasons like decrease in brain activity, messing up insulin and glucose levels, body will start to use up muscle mass for energy which we want muscle cause it burns more energy which is calories. Your fat is the last thing to go when starving yourself or depriving a thing like sugar. Quick fact: your brain uses 50% of sugar you consume!

Is that a fact? That the brain uses 50% of all the sugar I consume.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member

There really need to be some qualifications here. My sister is a Type 1 diabetic who has to watch her sugar/carbohydrate intake meticulously. People who have medical issues really don't need to be told that they're decreasing their brain activity, messing up insulin & glucose levels and using muscle mass for energy. It can be daunting enough just to manage their disease(s).

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member

Did you fail ? Or just miss the class about ketones as an alternative brain fuel, gluconeogenesis and all that other stuff.

Someone eating no sugar potentially has the same blood glucose level as anyone else. Given that the brain gets its glucose from the bloodstream, where is the issue ?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    can a person do 0 sugar ? cut it out? is this even possible?
    no fruits, no milk?

technically possible, I've even been to places with very little or no fruit or milk available.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I don't cut sugar.

100%
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Looking into ketones as a treatment for Alzheimer's might be interesting for you, as a nursing student.
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    I eat an extremely strict diet of meat, veggies, whole fat dairy, and nuts. The only sugar in my diet is the sugar that naturally occurs in those foods. My body is in a state of ketosis and burns ketones instead of sugar. Definitely still have a pulse and healthier than ever.

And I definitely don't care if someone else decides to take the total opposite lifestyle path as me. To each their own. They know their body, I know mine.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I agree that sugar is essential, especially the kind that is running through our blood all the time.

More like 60% is consumed by the brain. @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22436/

I'm going to pipe up in defence of fat, however. It takes so long to metabolise it actually provides sustained energy better than eating sugar. I find if I eat a walnut at breakfast I have better sustained energy through my morning. Now, the quantity of fat must be watched because it is so energy-dense.