Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Then I noticed something! My back is starting to looks fabulous!!

Agreed!!!
    Great work!
  • joepanda92
    joepanda92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm Joe and new to this app you seem to know a lot and I know very little. Adding you hoping you can help me in my journey to staying healthy lose weight n more muscle tone .
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Joining for the info...im at the recomp stage now
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If reading MFP for a couple months now has taught me anything, it is that people love fads and acronyms.

Reality is a lot simpler:
    Weight loss occurs with calorie deficit, and it will be fat loss if adequate nutrition is continued.
    Exercise will be fat loss if done in the moderate intensity range using most of the body. Muscle mass will slowly increase with a daily regimen, and then plateau unless the load is gradually increased.
    Quick muscle building requires strenuous isolated muscle work-outs that do not encounter energy deficit during the work-out. Most people overeat to avoid energy deficits during these types of work-outs, thus the common experience of gaining fat while 'bulking.'

I suspect, but have not proven, that a "fairly" rapid muscle mass increase along with fat loss is possible with a regimen that incorporates the following:
    1. Alternate lifting with cardio days
    2. On lifting days prep the work-out with enough carbs and easily digested protein to cover the work-out. As an example, if you hope to average a 10 gram muscle gain through a 500 kCal workout then eat those amounts 30 minutes before the work-out. Since muscle building and repair continues for hours past the work-out itself, these days should probably not be calorie deficit days. In addition to the protein added for the work-out eat RDA amounts of protein.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    How often should one weigh in when starting recomp? Atm I weigh in once a week but I've been looking at some apps that require daily weigh ins then you get a report at the end if the week that looks at all the variables and fluctuations and then some! Could this be a handy tool for the first few months when trying to find your rhythm?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    How often should one weigh in when starting recomp? Atm I weigh in once a week but I've been looking at some apps that require daily weigh ins then you get a report at the end if the week that looks at all the variables and fluctuations and then some! Could this be a handy tool for the first few months when trying to find your rhythm?

That would be personal preference. Daily will show fluctuations, so if you can handle that do it daily. Weekly will show you a bit of a steadier picture. You really only want to pay attention to an upwards trends, especially if only your waist or thighs are growing.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

That would be personal preference. Daily will show fluctuations, so if you can handle that do it daily. Weekly will show you a bit of a steadier picture. You really only want to pay attention to an upwards trends, especially if only your waist or thighs are growing.

I'm thinking daily due to the fact that my weekly weigh ins some weeks I'm up 1kg then the next I'm down 1.5kg (I hold water bad) I'm hoping daily weigh ins might even out these fluctuations on my weekly weigh ins. Until I find my calorie maintenance levels anyway
  • usmcmp
    edited December 2015
    Options

I'm thinking daily due to the fact that my weekly weigh ins some weeks I'm up 1kg then the next I'm down 1.5kg (I hold water bad) I'm hoping daily weigh ins might even out these fluctuations on my weekly weigh ins. Until I find my calorie maintenance levels anyway

You should expect a large gain in the first few weeks, especially if you are coming straight out of a show into it.

I hit stage the first time at 148 pounds. I gained 15 in the first two weeks after the show, then did a recomp followed by a cut and took stage at 155 pounds looking much leaner 6 months later.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    No I haven't done a show in over 4 years! I've just dropped 4kg (am only 1kg off show weight in profile pic) but this is where I want to sit I'm happy here I look great I'm lean enough to have visible abs and I still eat as I wish on weekends and enjoy a few beers! So you could say I'm in my happy place :) it's the week days that's going to be hard finding my maintenance cals especially since I feel like all I do is eat already the thought of more food is strange but I don't want to lose weight at all!
  • summerkissed
    edited December 2015
    Options

You should expect a large gain in the first few weeks, especially if you are coming straight out of a show into it.

I hit stage the first time at 148 pounds. I gained 15 in the first two weeks after the show, then did a recomp followed by a cut and took stage at 155 pounds looking much leaner 6 months later.

I ended up in hospital after my 2nd comp (2 shows in 2 weeks) due to water retention doctors thought my kidneys were f$&ked I couldn't walk or put on shoes! 7kg to be precise in a 36hr period :( I did 2 more shows after that in following years (profile pic) but was still unable to find maintenance levels....think I've got it this time but I'm still worried it's always been gaining or losing
  • usmcmp
    Options

I ended up in hospital after my 2nd comp (2 shows in 2 weeks) due to water retention doctors thought my kidneys were f$&ked I couldn't walk or put on shoes! 7kg to be precise in a 36hr period :( I did 2 more shows after that in following years (profile pic) but was still unable to find maintenance levels....think I've got it this time but I'm still worried it's always been gaining or losing

That's scary! I don't use any type of water or sodium loading/depletion. I've seen that and a lack of carbs do bad things.
  • summerkissed
    Options

That's scary! I don't use any type of water or sodium loading/depletion. I've seen that and a lack of carbs do bad things.

I was coached my monkeys the first time round!! Second comp no loading or depleting, carbs I can't live without lol
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

I weigh daily. Any big daily changes are not fat gains or losses. Don't overreact or you will never find out what your maintenance calories are :smile:
  • summerkissed
    Options

I weigh daily. Any big daily changes are not fat gains or losses. Don't overreact or you will never find out what your maintenance calories are :smile:

Yeah good points!
  • bioklutz
    Options
    Lately I've been pretty hungry. I have tried a couple things and it seems to help for several weeks but than it doesn't.

I am 5 foot even. My weight generally ranges from 100-103. I'm a 41 year old female. I've been working on this recomp thing for close to a year now.

About 2 months ago I was eating 1900-2000 (calorie goal set to 1950). I usually have 1 day every few weeks that is much higher (going out to dinner, random family events). I changed my goal to 1950-2050 (calorie goal set to 2000). This seemed to help for a little while and then I was hungry again.

I looked at my food diary. I was usually eating 90-110gr protein and around 200gr carbs - the rest in fat. I thought maybe I wasn't getting enough carbs and was overdoing the protein just a tad. So I started eating around 80-100gr protein, 215-250gr carbs - the rest in fat. This has helped but lately I am starting to feel hungry again.

Does anything seem glaringly off about my macros? Can you think of anything that will help me not sprinkle a little hot sauce on my arm and just go to town? :)
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Lately I've been pretty hungry. I have tried a couple things and it seems to help for several weeks but than it doesn't.

I am 5 foot even. My weight generally ranges from 100-103. I'm a 41 year old female. I've been working on this recomp thing for close to a year now.

About 2 months ago I was eating 1900-2000 (calorie goal set to 1950). I usually have 1 day every few weeks that is much higher (going out to dinner, random family events). I changed my goal to 1950-2050 (calorie goal set to 2000). This seemed to help for a little while and then I was hungry again.

I looked at my food diary. I was usually eating 90-110gr protein and around 200gr carbs - the rest in fat. I thought maybe I wasn't getting enough carbs and was overdoing the protein just a tad. So I started eating around 80-100gr protein, 215-250gr carbs - the rest in fat. This has helped but lately I am starting to feel hungry again.

Does anything seem glaringly off about my macros? Can you think of anything that will help me not sprinkle a little hot sauce on my arm and just go to town? :)

I find that higher protein and fat help keep me full. Not remotely low carb, just dropping it slightly. It might also be time to up calories a bit more. That should happen over time if you are building lean mass.
  • bioklutz
    Options
    I find that higher protein and fat help keep me full. Not remotely low carb, just dropping it slightly. It might also be time to up calories a bit more. That should happen over time if you are building lean mass.

Thanks! After my weight stabilizes from Christmas Eve and Christmas day indulgences I am going to add another 50 calories/day and go from there. I already feel like my calorie allotment is very generous for my age/weight/height but I know I can manage to eat more. :smiley:

Trying a little more carbs was an effort to try something different to see if it helped. I do think I function better around 100gr of protein a day though.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    @bioklutz

This applies to me as well. Beyond the macro goals, for me the texture of foods and "chew factor" seem to have a decent influence. Fiber also seems to come into the picture some. I love most of my carbs, but few do much for me as far as keeping me feeling full.

But in any case, experiment more before resorting to hot sauce on your arms. It looks like you've worked hard to get them where they are.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Thanks for this, it was a great read.

Anything by Helms is normally quality, but this is one of his that I've not seen before...
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Good info; I'll have to check it out. Recomp is on hold for at least until after end of Jan as I broke my Rt wrist last Wed (9 Dec) and have to use my left for everything (I'm Rt handed--figures); so very little exercising and I won't be writing much on here until then. When I go back to the doc will ask what I exercising I can do until then. If I'm not back by next week, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone. B)