It's only "Natural" and the FDA wants your opinion!

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I just tracked down the label for the Country Post chicken product OP is talking about in the initial post, and it has this information:

Ingredients: Solution Ingredients: Chicken Broth, Salt, Carrageenan. Gluten Free

It's easy to get those confused, it is called County Post, with a blue label, and it is not on the 10 pound package. I might have spelled it wrong in the original OP, if I did I apologize, it's easy to get them confused.

No that was me screwing up the name. I'm talking about the 10 lb package of chicken leg quarters from County Post.

The labeling rules I quoted came into effect in 2013, I think, so if this was a while ago it might not have been required yet. But you seem to be focusing on the big type on the front and not the actual list of ingredients, also. The bigger point is that if carrageenan is used in the brine labeling does seem to be required already.

Let's get off the package picture on the front, I was making a point about young children and them having chocolate chip cookies as a regular thing in their diet. If they had a known allergy to coconut, the child would not know there was coconut in that cookie. Let's say this child was in someone else's home? So let's get off that.

And again, most children (I dare say all, especially those with life threatening ones) with allergies are coached from a very young age to check any and all food they consume even if it is the same type of food they have eaten in the past.
    All of the people I know who have children with allergies make sure that if their child is eating anywhere outside of their home that people know about the allergy. I carefully read labels of anything I bring to their house or offer their child while in my house, not just rely on the name of the product.

Yes, they are! Gosh darn, how many times do I have to say I was making a point? In my original post I said, "my husband told me there was no coconut in those cookies, he did not taste any, but I did taste coconut and there is coconut. My point was said very clearly, but you all are so stuck on the thought I had that a simple piece of coconut on that very colorful and fully enveloped with a picture package would have alerted that child right away that coconut happens to be in the product. I am just saying if they were going to spend so much money, time and effort to make a colorful package like that why not add the coconut to it?

If someone does not check properly and they taste those cookies, and like my husband declares there is no coconut in them, what happens to said child? Even if the child asks, someone could tell him/her wrongly and not everyone will remember the neighbor told them their kid can't have coconut back last week or longer.

Get off the package people! I won't respond again.

Get off the package? I was responding to your post.
    I get what you are saying and I am saying I don't agree that the problem is as serious as you seem to make it out to be.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I just tracked down the label for the Country Post chicken product OP is talking about in the initial post, and it has this information:

Ingredients: Solution Ingredients: Chicken Broth, Salt, Carrageenan. Gluten Free

It's easy to get those confused, it is called County Post, with a blue label, and it is not on the 10 pound package. I might have spelled it wrong in the original OP, if I did I apologize, it's easy to get them confused.

No that was me screwing up the name. I'm talking about the 10 lb package of chicken leg quarters from County Post.

The labeling rules I quoted came into effect in 2013, I think, so if this was a while ago it might not have been required yet. But you seem to be focusing on the big type on the front and not the actual list of ingredients, also. The bigger point is that if carrageenan is used in the brine labeling does seem to be required already.

Let's get off the package picture on the front, I was making a point about young children and them having chocolate chip cookies as a regular thing in their diet. If they had a known allergy to coconut, the child would not know there was coconut in that cookie. Let's say this child was in someone else's home? So let's get off that.

And again, most children (I dare say all, especially those with life threatening ones) with allergies are coached from a very young age to check any and all food they consume even if it is the same type of food they have eaten in the past.
    All of the people I know who have children with allergies make sure that if their child is eating anywhere outside of their home that people know about the allergy. I carefully read labels of anything I bring to their house or offer their child while in my house, not just rely on the name of the product.

Yes, they are! Gosh darn, how many times do I have to say I was making a point? In my original post I said, "my husband told me there was no coconut in those cookies, he did not taste any, but I did taste coconut and there is coconut. My point was said very clearly, but you all are so stuck on the thought I had that a simple piece of coconut on that very colorful and fully enveloped with a picture package would have alerted that child right away that coconut happens to be in the product. I am just saying if they were going to spend so much money, time and effort to make a colorful package like that why not add the coconut to it?

If someone does not check properly and they taste those cookies, and like my husband declares there is no coconut in them, what happens to said child? Even if the child asks, someone could tell him/her wrongly and not everyone will remember the neighbor told them their kid can't have coconut back last week or longer.

Get off the package people! I won't respond again.

Package should have a peanut too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Maybe stuff with growth hormone should include an illustration of a big giant cow.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Was getting a glass of chocolate milk, decided to check.

l4mwip5hmt5s.jpg

Oh good. I'm glad to see they included a warning that your chocolate milk "CONTAINS MILK."

:neutral:

and growth hormones.

Weeeeeeeeeelll... they don't actually say that, do they?

They *could* just be expressing a random piece of information about what the FDA says about growth hormones. In case people were curious.

Meanwhile, we don't allow those at all over here. I wonder why?

Neither do we.

Oh well, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Was getting a glass of chocolate milk, decided to check.

l4mwip5hmt5s.jpg

Oh good. I'm glad to see they included a warning that your chocolate milk "CONTAINS MILK."

:neutral:

and growth hormones.

To be fair, that warning is likely an aside to their promotion of not having used growth hormones. A lot of meat and dairy products have something like "From cows not treated with rBGH*" and then on the back is the "*There's no evidence blah blah blah."

At least that's how all of my milk comes.
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone, I thought I would update on the 10 pound bag of Country Post chicken packaging "not" showing the carrageenan. I went to the store today and was able to get pictures of the package, but in the case of MFP having huge pictures again I'll wait to add the pictures when they fix the issues. If I don't wait the page will be huge and it's difficult to read the posts. So it's best to wait. Anyway, the package "does not" have carageenan listed although it is required to be because it is a part of the end product and will be consumed.

The front of the package says, Chicken Leg Quarters, Contains up to 5% retained water. Thighs or drumsticks may be added to make weight.

"No Added Hormones", No Added Steroids", "No Artificial Ingredients", "All Natural", and Minimally Processed". The back of the bag has a nutrition label, a "Contact Us" spot with the address of Pilgrims Pride and the 800 telephone #, and the last part of the back label is a section on safe handling. There is zero mention of the brine solution which contains the carrageenan, which is part of the product that is injected into the chicken to plump it and maintain moisture. This brine is part of the end product to be consumed and is supposed to be listed in the ingredients.

I hope you all had a great thanksgiving!