WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    DJ - we joined Sam's. Honestly, I really don't buy much food there either since you need to purchase such large quantities. But the reason we joined was mainly for the discount for the gas. In a year we easily made the $40.

Welcome everyone new

Sylvia - thanks for posting the pics. Some of them were really hilarious!

Ran on the treadmill today for a minute and then did squats for a minute, alternating for an hour. The plan for tomorrow is to do exercises in the water.

Came out of exercising and went to WalMart. For some reason this time they wouldn't price match Aldi's store brand cream cheese and I need 5 pkgs so I went there, WM nor Aldi had the cookies that I need for the chocolate cheesecake that I'll take to Jess so I had to go to Food Lion to get that. WM also didn't have the small boxes of baking soda and I wasn't about to get a big box, so I got that at FL too. Came home and the guy doing the landscaping was here. Vince used the tractor and we dumped the stumps from the bushes, etc. I made a pumpkin cheesecake to take to the people's house that we're supposed to go to on Thanksgiving, then made the pumpkin beer bread to take to Jess and another loaf (actually, it helped me use up the beer) to give to the guy who gave me the bottle of beer, some chocolate bran muffins for me, and started on the sweet potato casserole. You put meringue on top (not marshmallows). I'm wondering how far in advance can I make the meringue? Tomorrow I'll make the chocolate cheesecake to take to Jess. I already made the brownies and corn muffins for her.

Janetr - sounds like you'll have a houseful for christmas. I need to get started on Christmas, too. I'm getting together the recipes of things that I need to make. Freezing food is always a good thing. How I wish my freezer went all the way to the roof of the laundry room! I would use a step stool, but just to have extra room would be great. Don't know how I ever lived without my freezer. Do hope your grandson gets better in time for the holiday

Vicki - so sorry you were sick

Miriam - eeewwwwwww!

Mia - now that you mention it, that potato WAS dry but it was NOT fluffy. The skin really wasn't crispy at all. I thought it was because the salt would make you want to drink more thereby ordering more liquids. So sorry about your hair

Beth - yea for your son. Boo for you

Marie - welcome, come on in and set a spell.... we're like on big family

Sylvia - glad your gd had such fun

Hey, a visit from Kirby would be way cool! pip - so glad he's doing so well.

Gloria - prayers for you great nephew. How old is he?

Elaine - I try to do the majority of my cooking on the weekend then freeze individual portions for another day/week.

Becca - I know that I have pics on my computer. Does it have to be an original or can it be a print off the computer?

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Mary - forgot to tell ya. I unmolded the pumpkin cheesecake the way you said to -- use a piece of cardboard on top. Worked like a charm! I did find, tho, that some of the bottom crust stuck to the pan so what I'll do when I make the chocolate cheesecake is I'll use parchment paper on the bottom. Thanks for the suggestion!

Michele in NC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Mary - forgot to tell ya. I unmolded the pumpkin cheesecake the way you said to -- use a piece of cardboard on top. Worked like a charm! I did find, tho, that some of the bottom crust stuck to the pan so what I'll do when I make the chocolate cheesecake is I'll use parchment paper on the bottom. Thanks for the suggestion!

Michele in NC

I think I mentioned to put parchment paper on the bottom! LOL although I could have forgotten!

Mary from Minnesota
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Alison – you can and DO make tons of people happy – there are some folks in your world that don’t want to be happy and blame you, those folks NO ONE could make happy.

Gloria – good thoughts to Alexander and family

Lillian – good thoughts to your mom

Sylvia – you are doing a great job as grandma!!!

Elaine – welcome – I have found some great recipes on skinnytaste.com (Heather’s suggestion)

Pip – great idea!!!

Michele – Meringue doesn’t hold well, I would do it as last minute as I could.

I hiked today, and then sewed, it is cold here today with rain, (our high was 51,which is a heat spell for many of you, but not for me) - the rain started as I drove home from my hiking spot! Perfect timing.

So Elaine asked about menus, I’ll have my mom here for Wed. and Thursday (Thanksgiving) So Wed. Dinner is Butternut Apple Bisque soup and ½ sandwiches, Thursday is not traditional but we are having artichokes, BBQ oysters, shrimp and a multigrain bread. I bought Dyers no sugar added low fat vanilla bean ice cream – ½ cup is 90 calories for me and a tiny little chocolate cake for her. Friday our tradition is to go into our local mountains and cut down our Christmas tree and then go to Taco Bell for lunch - I am lobbing for a better lunch choice – but we have done Taco Bell for 10 years, it is my DNephew’s favorite, this year however he will not be with us… maybe a little leverage!

November Goals -
    Attend yoga each wednesday evening
    Walk everyday –would like to see 160 miles
    continue counseling and hold my weight where it is as I deal with my current set of emotional issues
    weekly fun things
    W1 – football – we won! Working on craft show crafts
    W2-
    W3-
    W4
    Kim from N. California
  • juliemartinoli
    juliemartinoli Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hello, My name is Julie and I am from Washington State. I just came back to MFP after a long break. Hoping I can do well.

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    We actually like Stove Top stuffing and have it at other times. Thanksgiving and Christmas, when we have to feed a crowd, is when I bring out the big homemade recipe. I heard at the beauty shop that Walmart makes a frozen dressing that is pretty good.

You may or may not remember that my DGS has autism. Food is an issue, and there are few things that he will eat. He usually eats pepperoni and crackers while the rest of us are chewing down on all the thanksgiving goodies. This year I am totally excited. I found this on Pinterest and am going to make it specially for him. I'll take a picture of mine after I make it to see if it looks as good or if it is a Pinterest fail.

h563wodn402a.jpeg
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Dropping in for a minute to tell you I got a call from the attorney's office today asking if I'd like to come in for an interview. Whew - now I'm scared which I have never been about interviewing before. I know it's because I've been out of the workplace for 4 years and I have to a lot of remembering and catching up to do. I need to get my hair cut first and pull out an interview outfit and breath. I'll find out tomorrow when the interview will be. 1757713rxqdskg3j0.gif
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Gloria ... Breathe first!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Strategy is stronger than willpower.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    10,000 steps
    132 minutes of dog walking
    141 minutes riding the exercise bike
    weight training
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Drkatiebug- I love it! He is going to be very happy!

Kim - your dinner and tradition sounds great! I for one would have Taco Bell! Just record the calories.

Gloria - yeah! You're going to do great! We're all here rooting for you!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    hugs from me
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I cooked a small turkey and cornbread from scratch today. We couldn't wait to eat this, so dug right in. Yummy. We’ll have enough left over for tacos and a portion to freeze. Yesterday I made crustless pumpkin pie in individual custard cups (is there a name for this?) and candied pecans. Tomorrow is DH’s surgery follow up appointment and we hope to get results from the pathology lab. We need to hear that the he has the green light to get skin graft to close his forehead. No matter what the outcome, we’re grateful for home, food, health, and each other.

Wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday.

Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

Goals for November and progress to date:
    • Burn 2500 calories per week in the gym = came up short last week. Otherwise on goal.
    • Eat mindfully = Didn't always make smart choices, but was conscious of what I was doing
    • Catch up with backlog of magazines = only about 50% to goal
    • Meditate 4x per week = on goal
    Word for 2015: Mindfulness
  • tificreole
    tificreole Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am Frances from Sydney Australia... I am back on MFP after a long break... I am baby stepping into fitness and controlling what I eat... My goal for Nov/Dec is to do Yoga 2 times a week and walk the dog at least 4 times a week and do some strength training at least 2 times a week.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Hello from Kentucky! We flew in yesterday evening & I had the chance to have lunch with an old friend today. We haven't seen one another in more than 20 years and took up where we left off all those years ago. There was quite a bit of catching up to do. We had junior high aged girls the last time we saw one another, and those girls now have children of their own. It was delightful to see her & I enjoyed every minute. I am suffering from jet lag at the moment, and have not quite adjusted to a three hour time change. I feel a more than a little adrift, and am headed to bed.

Katla, visiting KY.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    rori - your dinner and cornbread sounds so delicious! I can't wait to eat Thanksgiving dinner! I hope everything goes well for your DH so he can get the skin graft. Let us know how his appointment goes.

Katla - I'm glad you got to KY okay and were able to get reacquainted with your friend. Have a great time!

Frances - Welcome back! It sounds like you have a well thought out plan. Those sound like very good goals!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Katla, you're right next door!!! Hello!!!! Have fun.

Rori, praying that dH has good report from his initial surgery and that you all have a good Thanksgiving. Love your attitude that if it isn't good that you still have each other

Gloria, prayers said for your DGS. Or is it DGGS. Please keep us up to date on his recovery. It's a tough time to have something like that right at a holiday. My nephews son had his one and only open heart surgery the day before Thanksgiving 3 years ago. He had the condition that the hole in the heart that immediately closes at birth didn't close. He is now one tough typical 4 year old boy. I have worked as an RN many Thanksgivings and I can tell you that it is a cheerful atmosphere in the hospital. None of the employees particularly want to be there but they know they have it better than the patients and families do and they do everything they can to make it a pleasant place to be.

Allison, you make many people happy. like every single woman here. It is refreshing to know that a person loves and inlaw like you do, or the things you do for friends. You are just a truly good person. Sometimes I think you are to good. You are a bit like me and that you stick with someone who you know you might be better off without. I have stuck with my husband through all these years just knowing that there is a better man in there and you married him and am bound and determined to find that better man. Sometimes I know I have found that better man and then other times I feel it is hopeless.

Speaking of that man, the GI office called today and his culture report is negative. He has noticed a big difference in what his stool is like since they started him on his cortisone and I have his Remicade infusion scheduled for Monday. So hopefully we is maybe a little bit on his way to remission. He has to take the infusion for the rest of his life to stay in remission. But it used to be that he never ignored the feeling of gas. And now he has found that occasionally he can pas some wind! He is also glad that when he needs to get to the bathroom quick, he can use the hall bathroom!!!! WE will still use the Clorox wipes all the time even if it is just the two of us here. But I feel so much better with the family coming in for dinner that the culture is negative. I have told him that I still would rather he not do anything with the preparation of the food.

My oldest daughter and family will be in sometime tomorrow afternoon. Knowing her organization and getting her and husband and two kids out the door on time, I would imagine it will be closer to supper time. For some reason, my son in law's sister had been noncommunicative with him and their Mom even though they both live in Louisville, Ky. But she is going to host Thanksgiving dinner at her house on Friday evening so they will leave here shortly after lunch on Friday. I have no idea what a Thanksgiving meal cooked by a vegetarian is like. I don't know if her husband is a vegetarian or not. They have a 2 year old boy.

We did a lot of housecleaning today, thought we had more time tomorrow as we thought they would get in their usual time of 9 PM. So the kitchen is the main emphasis tomorrow. We have surfaces cleaned but the floor needs taken care of, microwave and cleaning in the fridge. I also put a home made oven cleaner in there tonight and it has to be cleaned tomorrow.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Elaine one of the things I do to see how others eat is to post on the News Feed and have an open Food Diary. I look at other folks open food diaries to see what they eat to stay within their calorie limits. If I see something that sounds good I PM them for the recipe. I've never had anyone turn me down. You can do this!

Gloria in WA

PS - It was snowing Big flakes this morning. Not cold enough for it to stick and not enough to make a snowball but beautiful. 892244m9q5gc9ngg.gif
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Joyce - I'm glad to hear that your DH's test was negative. What a relief. I've been getting ready for company as well. We put up the rest of the door trim. I did all the laundry from our company and remade the bed and cleaned the cabin. Tomorrow I'll clean out the refrigerator and put the food from there in the cabin fridge so I have room for everything for Thanksgiving.

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Elaine - I'm in a rush this am, but wanted to say welcome. Plus the other new ladies! :flowerforyou:

Got to get my day started!

Heather UK
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie, I appreciate you support. Have a great thanksgiving. You have given some great advice on here. Looking forward to reading further posts on here in the future.

Best wishes to everyone, have a great holiday/thanksgiving with your families and friends. For us in the UK is preparation, buying presents time in readiness for Christmas.