What common food have you never tried? Why not?

Replies

• dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    Nutella (tree nut allergy)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I've had most fruits and veg and like most of them ... yep, even broad beans, brussel sprouts, beetroot, and pumpkin (both sweet and savoury). :) The only fruit that springs to mind which I haven't tried, and am a little bit reluctant about is durian. Oh, I also haven't had quince, but it isn't easy to find. Both of those aren't terribly common.

Just for fun ... are we allowed to post these things here?

This is one of these List Challenges about how many fruits and veg we've eaten ... my score: 98/150. :) When it gets into different colours of certain veg, I may have only had 1 or 2 colours, and I haven't tried as much in the way of leafy green stuff as what they've got there.
    http://www.listchallenges.com/fruits-and-veggies-etc

And the 50 Healthiest Foods (supposedly) ... my score: 43/50. And this revealed to me that, among other things, I have never tried sardines, endamame, kefir, and shiitake mushrooms. Sardines and mushrooms are a big NO for me ... and I'm not sure I've ever seen endamame and kefir.
    http://www.listchallenges.com/huffington-posts-list-of-50-healthiest-foods

Edit: I just looked it up and I have had endamame. We might even have some in our freezer right now. I just knew it as soybean pods or something like that.
    141 of 150 (fruit/veg). Top 5%. Only things on that list I haven't tried are things I've never seen available with the exception of horned melon. I've seen that in the grocery store, but it's expensive so I haven't picked one up, yet.

Not bad, save that a good number of those things I'll pay money to never have to eat again. Okra. Not even fried, thanks.
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Apples. Thanks to a severe allergy, I cannot eat any apples. But they sure do smell like they would taste good!
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Muscles. The texture...bleh. (For any southerners - trail bologna. Pickled bologna? No.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I've had most fruits and veg and like most of them ... yep, even broad beans, brussel sprouts, beetroot, and pumpkin (both sweet and savoury). :) The only fruit that springs to mind which I haven't tried, and am a little bit reluctant about is durian. Oh, I also haven't had quince, but it isn't easy to find. Both of those aren't terribly common.

This is one of these List Challenges about how many fruits and veg we've eaten ... my score: 98/150. :) When it gets into different colours of certain veg, I may have only had 1 or 2 colours, and I haven't tried as much in the way of leafy green stuff as what they've got there.

And the 50 Healthiest Foods (supposedly) ... my score: 43/50. And this revealed to me that, among other things, I have never tried sardines, endamame, kefir, and shiitake mushrooms. Sardines and mushrooms are a big NO for me ... and I'm not sure I've ever seen endamame and kefir.

Edit: I just looked it up and I have had endamame. We might even have some in our freezer right now. I just knew it as soybean pods or something like that.

Cool. For the second one I was 47 of 50. I'm resistant to chia seeds (don't see the point and couldn't find them the one time I was going to make a pudding with them), and simply haven't been offered sunflower sprouts or thought to buy kefir (hate drinking calories, no matter what).

The other is too long to do now, but also looks fun.

143/150 -- weird what things they broke out by color and what they did not. Never seen the brown peppers or the grey zucchini.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    robertw486 wrote: »

Of the fruits and veggies I've eaten 146 of the 150

Of the 50 healthiest, I've eaten all but one

And that should nicely sum up what foods I don't try. Usual or unusual, I'll give it a try.

Twins! I had the exact same score on both.
    I feel cheated that I didn't know there were other colors of cauliflower available :(

There aren't any common foods that I haven't tried. I refuse to eat the more exotic "stinky" cheeses, though, because blue cheese is one of the few foods I truly hate and I feel that all stinky cheese would be the same.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    If any of you are in New England and near a Market Basket, their produce selection is really good. Lots of times I've been unable to find something at stores closer to me but can locate it at MB.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Ooo! We are heading into pomelo/pummelo season! My favorite citrus! It's the one on the far right, next to the grapefruit:

9ead3de3590d9d2548f3b0c56130d926.png

http://www.chron.com/life/gardening/article/Pummelos-are-even-better-than-grapefruit-1721801.php
  • KittyInBoots
    KittyInBoots Posts: 226 Member
    I would say many meat products. Many of them creep me out. I will not ever eat lamb or veal - who ever thought of eating a baby animal?! I also refuse to eat lobster. I once tried scallops and nearly gagged, not kidding. Oh, and shrimp! So gross! It's like a whole animal! I accidentally tasted it cuz it was on a pizza that was half seafood toppings and it overlapped onto my half. Ugh!!!
  • PCOS2Fit4Me
    PCOS2Fit4Me Posts: 8 Member
    edited December 2015

Fruits/veg: 100/150

50 Healthiest: 38/50

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    for the fruits and veggies i got 142/150 and I eat most of them regularly. and I got 49/50 for the healthiest foods eat all of them regularly.. never had sunflower sprouts. I went to a french cooking school so we were force fed just about everything you can think off including every bit of the animal.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    Sushi is one that I did not try until 2 years ago. My boss took his department out on his yacht and served sushi mid-sail. There I am stuck on a yacht in the middle of the bay, hungry, and the only thing to eat was sushi.

Fortunately, one of my colleagues pointed out that one half was raw fish, etc., but the other half were little rolls of cooked tuna with rice and seaweed. They were really good! I'd definitely go for them again. But raw fish ... just simply not appealing.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    For fruits and veggies, I got 101 out of 150. I could have had 102 if I actually did something with the acorn squash I bought recently. Parsnips are something I always want to pick up but avoid due to the costs, at least compared to carrots.

I have 44 out of 50 for the healthiest foods list. I'm not 100% sure for two of the foods, avoid red wine out of disdain for the wines I've tried, and haven't had the chance to pick up the rest.

• overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    Rutabaga. It sounds ....weird to me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Rutabaga. It sounds ....weird to me.

Could be worse. I think they call it swede in the UK.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Glad to see I got 132/150. I try to keep an open mind, especially with produce! Now acorn squash is something I tried once, but never again. That awful smell!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited December 2015
    I can't think of many... unless kale counts? I know it's become popular in recent years but I haven't seen it in supermarkets at all (maybe because I live in the UK) and have no real desire to try it anyway.

It's in all the big supermarkets, usually near the prepared veg. I don't blame you for not having the desire to try it though LOL! I only like it occasionally in smoothies.

There are lots of things that I haven't tried, but nothing that I won't try (food-wise!). Yesterday I had my first every roasted cauliflower thanks to MFPers, and I loved it - much 'nuttier' than steamed.
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Probably depends on what you'd define as 'common'...especially considering 'common' changes a lot depending on ethnicity and geographic location.

For example, being stuck smack dab in the middle of USA - there's a lot of types of seafood I haven't tried, but more as a result of good, fresh seafood being not too common around these parts.

I've never had 'poutine' as a dish, but I've had french fries, cheese curds, and gravy separately.

I've never had liver or any organ meat - that's probably about as 'common' a food item as I can think of.

I've never had cheese curds!

Mmm, cheese curds.

I've never had poutine, but as juggernaut said (he lives sort of close to me), it's not common here, although I did go to a restaurant with a poutine burger the week before last. Cheese curds are common -- I buy them at the farmer's market and the grocery store. Probably because of that state directly to the north of me.

Cheese curds that have been refrigerated are a travesty. I've given up in them where I live because of this and they are now a treat to be gorged on when I visit my grandmother and the dairy near her.

Our family reunion had a big bowl of white and yellow cheese curds(unrefrigerated!) out next to the veggies. I brought 2 lbs home in my carry on, lol.

Also poutine is awesome and also only consumed when visiting my grandmother's area.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Never tried or ever will try now so many things family members once ate - any blue cheese because the smell always put me off, tripe, skate, dripping, mackerel, brawn, whelks ...
    Always on my food-hate list were oysters (especially since someone called them 'snot on a rock'), winkles, mussels, black pudding, haggis, kidneys, liver, tongue, trotters, herring roll - and now any egg, meat or dairy product at all.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Oooh just thought of a common food that I have no intention of ever trying! Jellied eels. Just no.

Where is this a common food? (Based on your username I'm guessing England? I've just never heard of it.)

Yes England, and mainly in the East End of London. Growing up, it was pretty much a staple for a seafood supper on Sundays, but I'd just eat the prawns (shrimp to US), cockles and winkles.

Eels_1385.JPG

That's gross.

I have eaten regular smoked eels - ate it as a kid though I'm not sure I would eat it today. Jellied? No way. That's just wrong.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Liver. I just won't.
    Ugh, yeah, you're certainly not missing anything. Continue saving yourself. Growing up, my mother made liver and onions at least twice a month and I came from a house where we ate what was put in front of us, or we sat there until bedtime and if we still didn't eat it, we went to bed hungry. After the first time eating it, I went to bed hungry many other times she cooked it. And the smell. OMG. Like something dead and rotting in our kitchen.

My mom made it too and we all had to try it. Only my eldest brother could get it down so that was one meal she eventually made for herself and him and Dad (who couldn't stomach liver either) would cook burgers for the rest. Otherwise we ate what everyone else ate.

My mother hated it so we never had it. I was curious about it, so made it (from a cookbook) one time when my mom was out of town, since my dad had always said he loved it. I ended up loving it too, and we (yes, this is wrong) lied to my younger sister about what it was and she liked it too.

The things I hated as a kid are all super common foods, like canned tuna (I like pretty much all other seafood except catfish) and packaged bread and cold cereal. I was a weirdo.

Still love liver and onions. Don't have it nearly enough.

One time my mom made liver for us for dinner - I didn't know what it was. I took one bite and nearly gagged. BUT. A bit of background:

My father was one to never say anything nice to my mom at mealtime, but only complain if he didn't like something. She had brought it up to him in an argument one time and I felt bad. So I decided I was going to try and say nice things to mom at supper time in the future.

Little did I know it would be liver. SO as I swallowed the rest of my liver whole, and washing it down with soda after every bite, I told mom it was "really good....what is it?" Oh. Liver.

BIG MISTAKE. She made it again the next week, because it was such a "big hit" and then I started to cry because I didn't want to eat it and they were very mad at me, insisted that it was all in my imagination just because I now knew it was liver, because BEFORE I RAVED about it.. I SIMPLY RAVED!!! And because of my past issues with whining and complaining, they didn't believe I was simply trying to turn over a new leaf and be nice to mom.

Dad finally believed me years later when we had a similar experience with my aunt and eggplant parm. We both hated it but out of politeness, said it was "good" and sure enough auntie made it for us next visit because we liked it.

Lesson: never lie to spare mom's or auntie's feelings about dinner. EVER.