Motivation, Success and Frustration Sharing!

Options

Replies

• ShyCush6
    ShyCush6 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    @Endless_Journey, AMAZING!! Thank you for sharing your story! It's a struggle but with determination we can do it!! Best of luck on your surgery and get get'em tiger! ;)
  • skipwa
    skipwa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello - I would like to be part of this group too. I need help with motivation. Have been eating out of control for a week and can't seem to get back on track. I could use some encouragement and accountability. Can I join you?
  • indygirl217
    indygirl217 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What group? If it's about motivated people, please let me join!!!!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    So this Endless Journey started 1,000 days ago. It was a Friday, got home, went upstairs to change, came back down and then something happened. I had to sit down, sweat pouring down me, struggling to breath and had chest pains. my body was telling me that all was not well. The pains got worse so decided to visit my doctor. She sent me to the ER straight away, I was very quickly seen by a Consultant who carried out tests. I did not want to tell my wife as she was at work. The consultant called me in and said very simply, that if I did not change my lifestyle, he gave me five more years. very simply I was killing myself. Going back to my car, I realised now that life is not a rehearsal, I needed to act now. My Journey has now started.
    After tellng my wife, she said that only I could change this and of course she was right. I grabbed the laptop and sat down. So how was I killing myself?, for one week I wrote down how much I was eating and drinking. The results were frightening I was consuming up to 4,000 calories a day, add that to the fact I was not even exercising, nothing more to say. My weight was 276lbs, pulse rate 77. My blood pressure was normal.
    A new diet was planned, out went hamburgers, take aways, junk food. No more drinking alcohol, and eating between meals. The fridge was completely emptied and replaced with fresh fruit, vegetables, salads, chicken, fish. Cans of coke were replaced with bottled water. Extreme you might say but time was not on my side. Eating beteween meals was a problem so each morning I would get a bowl and chop up some melon, apples, raisins, add some celery, nuts and raisins. Now whenever I was hungry instead of having crisps or chocolate I would reach for the bowl. Drinking water before each meal helped to curb my appertite.
    Ok thats the diet sorted but now exercise, being so overweight this was not going to be easy. I just started going out for walks around the block, the first time after twenty minutes I had to stop I was so out of breath. But gradually as each day passed i just incresased it. Weight loss was slow so i checked my diet, reducing my intake to 1200 calories, this suited me but may not suit everybody. My BMI was 49% so the body had enough fat to live off. The next stage of getting fit, I decided to purchase a mountain bike. OMG what a sight seeing me trying to cycle, confidence was low, and made worse by other cyclists making nasty comments, this just made me more determined. I was hooked on cycling and went out every day increasing the time I spent out on the road. The same cyclists passing me by asking if I wanted a push. My time would come.
    My weight was starting to melt away and i started to feel good about myself so the next stage was to invest in a road bike. I did this and started cycling furtther and further. Ok 2015 was not good I got knocked off my bike no less than four times, but was determined to carry on. Easter 2015, I decided to enter a road race, a 130km race. The weather conditions were the worst I had encountered but was determined to complete the course. Oh so what happened about those cyclists who were so cruel to me I can here you ask? The next time i went out on the road I saw them in front of me approaching a hill. As they started to cycle up it they were all breathless, I pulled along side them and said. would you like a push? I then left them struggling, looking over my shoulder they knew who I was.
    So 105lbs lighter and a healthy pulse rate of 45, BMI now 25.5, everything was going good. Until about 16 weeks ago, after a long cycle I returned home feeling unwell ok I thought it was caused by the long cycle but it was not. After a visit to the doctor and some blood tests, I was sent to ER to see a consultant. Who just by looking at me suggested I may have Kidney Cancer, leaving the room my wife just looked at me with tears in her eyes. Comforting her I said lets see what the scans show. Two days later, after two scans the best results ever, I did not have cancer. There was however a problem with my Kidneys. I have been told that an operation will cure the problem, I am still training only after speaking to the surgeon. I have a 160km cycle planned for March this year which I should be fit enough to compete.
    Have now lost 115lbs, had a check up BMI 24, BP 44
    Thank you for letting me share my Journey with you all. It is an Endless journey and it will continue. Remember, life is not a rehearsal, you do not get a second chance, so dont waste it. Your body is a temple so look after it.
    Good luck to you all as you take the first step to a healthier you.

Thank you for your story. Change is really only when you take a hard, bitter look at yourself. It's motivating to see how far you have come. I have a pile of index cards with great sayings on them. I thumb thru it weekly, to visually "reprogram" my mind and to make each loss a permanent one. This is my present great saying:

WHEN YOU FIGURE OUT WHATS EATING YOU, YOU WON'T EAT SO MUCH.

This is reality. When I lose this weight in my head, it will stay off my hips. Changing bad behaviors is emotionally draining, but you know CHANGE is supposed to be messy. So I feel the feelings, and enjoy this change I am going though. Another positive saying is:

LOSING WEIGHT ISN'T THE KEY TO HAPPINESS, HAPPINESS IS THE KEY TO LOSING WEIGHT.

Love that one. So if I "plan my attack" with this journey, and "do my homework" I have no choice but be successful right? That is my plan so far.

Good luck people!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    current weight- 232.6
    highest weight- 258.6
    Goal weight- 179

So I need to lose 53 more lbs. So doable, I can taste it. If you wish to add me anyone to see how I am eating feel free. My journal is open to the public though.
  • tazzy2911
    tazzy2911 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    @Endless_Journey an amazing story, good on you!! I can just picture the faces on those other cyclists when you sailed past them!!!

I'm delighted with myself this week, I've gone out for a walk everyday since last Thursday, even when I didn't want to go, had all the excuses-it's too cold or too wet, but put on my runners and went anyway!
    Doing well with food too. Hopefully can keep it going over the weekend (which is never easy!!) and get another good loss on the scales on Monday!
    I'm going back to Zumba on Tuesday too. The class I used to go to got cancelled in November and haven't been since but I've found a new class that suits me so looking forward to getting back into it! I'll probably be a horrible sweaty uncoordinated mess because its been 2 months since I went but I love it so it'll be worth the aches and pains!!
  • Endless_Journey
    Endless_Journey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    tazzy2911 wrote: »
    @Endless_Journey an amazing story, good on you!! I can just picture the faces on those other cyclists when you sailed past them!!!

I'm delighted with myself this week, I've gone out for a walk everyday since last Thursday, even when I didn't want to go, had all the excuses-it's too cold or too wet, but put on my runners and went anyway!
    Doing well with food too. Hopefully can keep it going over the weekend (which is never easy!!) and get another good loss on the scales on Monday!
    I'm going back to Zumba on Tuesday too. The class I used to go to got cancelled in November and haven't been since but I've found a new class that suits me so looking forward to getting back into it! I'll probably be a horrible sweaty uncoordinated mess because its been 2 months since I went but I love it so it'll be worth the aches and pains!!

It's not easy this weight loss journey, but well worth it when you start seeing the results. It's an "Endless Journey" get it?
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    So this Endless Journey started 1,000 days ago. It was a Friday, got home, went upstairs to change, came back down and then something happened. I had to sit down, sweat pouring down me, struggling to breath and had chest pains. my body was telling me that all was not well. The pains got worse so decided to visit my doctor. She sent me to the ER straight away, I was very quickly seen by a Consultant who carried out tests. I did not want to tell my wife as she was at work. The consultant called me in and said very simply, that if I did not change my lifestyle, he gave me five more years. very simply I was killing myself. Going back to my car, I realised now that life is not a rehearsal, I needed to act now. My Journey has now started.
    After tellng my wife, she said that only I could change this and of course she was right. I grabbed the laptop and sat down. So how was I killing myself?, for one week I wrote down how much I was eating and drinking. The results were frightening I was consuming up to 4,000 calories a day, add that to the fact I was not even exercising, nothing more to say. My weight was 276lbs, pulse rate 77. My blood pressure was normal.
    A new diet was planned, out went hamburgers, take aways, junk food. No more drinking alcohol, and eating between meals. The fridge was completely emptied and replaced with fresh fruit, vegetables, salads, chicken, fish. Cans of coke were replaced with bottled water. Extreme you might say but time was not on my side. Eating beteween meals was a problem so each morning I would get a bowl and chop up some melon, apples, raisins, add some celery, nuts and raisins. Now whenever I was hungry instead of having crisps or chocolate I would reach for the bowl. Drinking water before each meal helped to curb my appertite.
    Ok thats the diet sorted but now exercise, being so overweight this was not going to be easy. I just started going out for walks around the block, the first time after twenty minutes I had to stop I was so out of breath. But gradually as each day passed i just incresased it. Weight loss was slow so i checked my diet, reducing my intake to 1200 calories, this suited me but may not suit everybody. My BMI was 49% so the body had enough fat to live off. The next stage of getting fit, I decided to purchase a mountain bike. OMG what a sight seeing me trying to cycle, confidence was low, and made worse by other cyclists making nasty comments, this just made me more determined. I was hooked on cycling and went out every day increasing the time I spent out on the road. The same cyclists passing me by asking if I wanted a push. My time would come.
    My weight was starting to melt away and i started to feel good about myself so the next stage was to invest in a road bike. I did this and started cycling furtther and further. Ok 2015 was not good I got knocked off my bike no less than four times, but was determined to carry on. Easter 2015, I decided to enter a road race, a 130km race. The weather conditions were the worst I had encountered but was determined to complete the course. Oh so what happened about those cyclists who were so cruel to me I can here you ask? The next time i went out on the road I saw them in front of me approaching a hill. As they started to cycle up it they were all breathless, I pulled along side them and said. would you like a push? I then left them struggling, looking over my shoulder they knew who I was.
    So 105lbs lighter and a healthy pulse rate of 45, BMI now 25.5, everything was going good. Until about 16 weeks ago, after a long cycle I returned home feeling unwell ok I thought it was caused by the long cycle but it was not. After a visit to the doctor and some blood tests, I was sent to ER to see a consultant. Who just by looking at me suggested I may have Kidney Cancer, leaving the room my wife just looked at me with tears in her eyes. Comforting her I said lets see what the scans show. Two days later, after two scans the best results ever, I did not have cancer. There was however a problem with my Kidneys. I have been told that an operation will cure the problem, I am still training only after speaking to the surgeon. I have a 160km cycle planned for March this year which I should be fit enough to compete.
    Thank you for letting me share my Journey with you all. It is an Endless journey and it will continue. Remember, life is not a rehearsal, you do not get a second chance, so dont waste it. Your body is a temple so look after it.

Your story brought tears to my eye. So inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing. What a inspiration you are.
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    weigh in day today and no change for me. I have measured myself for the first time since starting on here and the results are amazing.

losses of
    4 inch waist
    2 inch hips
    2 inch thighs

all in 84 days :smiley:
    I am so happy

Walking and exercise are going great, and I love the inspiration i get from all of you guys on here.
  • Endless_Journey
    Options
    joan6630 wrote: »

Your story brought tears to my eye. So inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing. What a inspiration you are.

• Endless_Journey
    Options
    Thank you so much, I just wanted to let others know that what ever obstacles come your way, you can fight on
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    So this Endless Journey started 1,000 days ago.....

Amazing!! Thank you sharing and reminding us all to stay present and to truly take care our ourselves and our bodies!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story @EndlessJourney. Your dedication to your health is inspiring!

Sorry I've been away this week, illness took over and made me barely functional. I'm jealous reading about all your fabulous step counts and workouts!

Tomorrow I think I'll finally be well enough to make it through a full workout class. I've been playing around with walking and yoga this week just so I can get some sort of blood flowing, but it's just not the same.

I hope everyone has a fabulous and healthy weekend!
  • ShyCush6
    Options
    What group? If it's about motivated people, please let me join!!!!

You're in the group Hon... Just post often. We also have a fitbit group if you have one, you are welcome to join as well. Just friend me: www.fitbit.com/user/3RJG54
  • ShyCush6
    Options
    skipwa wrote: »
    Hello - I would like to be part of this group too. I need help with motivation. Have been eating out of control for a week and can't seem to get back on track. I could use some encouragement and accountability. Can I join you?

Of course. Post often and share your struggle, success or motivation!
  • ShyCush6
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    current weight- 232.6
    highest weight- 258.6
    Goal weight- 179

So I need to lose 53 more lbs. So doable, I can taste it. If you wish to add me anyone to see how I am eating feel free. My journal is open to the public though.

Great attitude!! You are doing amazing!!
  • ShyCush6
    Options
    tazzy2911 wrote: »

Go Sinead!! Zumba is fun and it will be worth the aches and pains!! You can do it lady!! Be good this weekend and I can't wait to hear your awesome loss come Monday!!
  • ShyCush6
    Options
    weigh in day today and no change for me. I have measured myself for the first time since starting on here and the results are amazing.

losses of
    4 inch waist
    2 inch hips
    2 inch thighs

all in 84 days :smiley:
    I am so happy

Walking and exercise are going great, and I love the inspiration i get from all of you guys on here.

Gill.. You are the inspiration!! You are doing awesome! Love all your motivation and dedication!! Keep up the great work!!
  • danan01
    danan01 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Wow-Great motivation! Happy Friday everyone! Going to work hard to get my steps in today and watch my food this morning, because we are going to a Hibachi place tonight for dinner for my son's birthday. I am excited-we don't go there often. I usually do better getting steps in on the weekends because I don't sit at a desk all day. But-it's the playoffs. I am going to try to watch the mindless eating and drinking while watching the games. And hopefully I will get a workout in. Go Packers! :smile: Hope everyone has a great weekend!