WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    sylvia way to go with letting go of the chocolate and rewarding yourself with yoga pants, that is a big nsv

kimses you r right about it being meant to be, there is always a reason for how these things come to pass.
    Karen
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Love to read all the positive encouraging words!! Go ladies go!!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    KJ, I agree with others that your sister should be able to eat what she wants. I have a friend whose mother died of lung cancer. When she was first diagnosed, the friend was so terribly angry because her mother refused to stop smoking. Honestly, at that stage, would it have made any difference? I personally think my friend was angry about the smoking because it was one thing she was trying to control in a life that was now totally out of control. It's possible that some of this is going on with your family. Emotions are all over the place in situations like this. Hugs for all of you.

Michelle, I've been meaning to ask what kind of planner did you buy? I have always used Erin Condren, but this year I switched to Plum Paper. I was late ordering it, and it came today. It has done things I like, but no "today" bar that snaps in and out. I'm going to miss that feature.

Today at the gym we did back and shoulders, then an abs video. I warmed up beforehand with 10 minutes on the elliptical and afterwards did 50 minutes on the treadmill. I still aim for 10,000 steps and 60 active minutes on my Fitbit in addition to my weight training. The place where I am going is a wellness center affiliated with the local hospital. It is a silver sneakers facility so has a lot of retirees at the time of day I go. They are like a sweet little family and have welcomed me tight into their group.

I tried two new foods today, both of which I am in love with. One is Ezekiel bread. It has the same number of calories (80 per slice) as regular bread, but it is made with sprouted grains instead of flour and has lots of protein. The other thing I tried is almond coconut butter. One tablespoon spread easily over two pieces of Ezekiel toast for a very tasty and healthy breakfast. Yum!

• eccentric88
    eccentric88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This year I just want to enjoy life..So far my diet has reflected a happier person..lower cal..but today I ate 150 gm of milk chocolate..I must have eaten much before cause according to the food diary I will still loose my weight..
    May be I can just dance, and horse back ride my way to slimness..I see that as long as I eat 3x a day and a bit of snacking I am good..So lets try be happy dont worry..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,579 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 14.03min, 12.6amph, 144mhr, 2.9mi = 98c
    rowing machine- 35min, 54aw, 143mhr 5650meters/3.45mi = 250c
    Ride gym 2 dome- 7.23min, 11.6amph, 140mhr 1.4mi = 71c
    Ride dome 2 hm- 19.15min, 8.5amph, 153mhr, 2.7mi = 203c
    total cal 622
  • EllenFlickner
    EllenFlickner Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi...I'm not 50 yet, only 47 weighing 212 lbs (wanting in the next year or so to be down to 135) but due to some health issues in the last few years I packed on a lot of weight, which I am currently working on decreasing and getting into shape along with my 21 year old son who is assisting me and getting fit for himself as well. Together we made a commitment to go to the gym since we were able to find one that was open early enough for us to do so. It's tough working nights to get into a routine, and keep on track with a healthy diet, its so easy to hit the vending machines at work or to stop at fast food on the way home or on the way into work. But my goal for January is make it to the gym as much as possible (weather allowing) and complete a cardio routine at least 3 to 4 times weekly and on the between days put in a strength routine and to cut fast food/vending machine food out of my diet completely. Already eat very little sweets and have cut all soda out of my diet preferring to drink unsweetened tea. As well as letting myself get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep which is very tough sometimes working the hours (work 4pm to 1am) that I do. I am trying and I have made a commitment to me!
  • eccentric88
    eccentric88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ok I am puzzled..I lost weight, got in shape some, ate better..now my waist has decided that it wants to be almost as large as my breasts..and at a size G..I am not impressed...Anyone got any help with this one.??
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »
    Ok hit b and nothing happen, what did I do wrong? Thanks Gayle Minneapolis

Did you highlight first?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,944 Member
    Options

I'm over my calories today even with the extra for exercise but I logged everything. I also walked past leftover birthday candy, shut the lid and ate something healthy. Progress.

Lynn in Denver NC

Being over in calories is not nearly as significant as staying away from something with no food value at all congratulations

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Here is a tray I was experimenting with today. It's not finished yet. Needs to be bisque fired, then glazed with clear and fired again. But I haven't tried painting anything for a while, so I enjoyed it.zrf8dxkj71zp.jpeg
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Michelle - Something in the dryer sheet just helps start removing baked on food (or burnt on food); might need to use more than one, or for longer than overnight. Don't know what it is, but, it works. When you put your fingers in the water it is sort of oily feeling.

Another tip - When you remove your lint filter (especially if you use dryer sheets) take it to the sink and wash it on both sides using a brush (old toothbrush or brush like for dishes). You can tell if it is blocked (not just from the lint it gathers); but, also from whatever it is in the dryer sheet that makes your clothes not wrinkle by pouring water into the lint filter - it will hold the water poured into it. FIRE HAZARD! Take an old toothbrush and run it over the lint filter on both sides until the water runs through it.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,579 Member
    Options
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Testing
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Thanks it worked, now how do u transfer parts of the message? Gayle
  • colleenclark336
    colleenclark336 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Lilymay2 wrote: »
    Hey girls! I need some friends on here and you guys look amazing!
    I am almost 55 and want to lose between 30-35 lbs. I have lost my confidence and feel frumpy and old and I need to get my mojo back!

I would welcome some friends on here so we can help each other out and hold each other accountable.

Colleen

Welcome Colleen. Where do you hail from?

Lillian form West Central Saskatchewan

Hey Lillian I am a fellow Canadian from central Ontario...nice to meet you!

• colleenclark336
    colleenclark336 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am almost 55 (next month) and have about 35 lbs to lose. I have been struggling because I have to have back surgery and as a result I can't do any weight bearing exercise. But that shouldn't stop me from eating right and looking after myself. I need some accountability!

My goals for 2016 are as follows:
    • Eat clean
    • Eat more veg and fruits
    • Swim 3 times per week
    • Do some upper body weights each week

Thanks for listening and helping!
      Colleen
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »
    Thanks it worked, now how do u transfer parts of the message? Gayle

I've found that you have to hit 'quote' and then edit out those parts that you have no interest in answering; then you can type under it. However, I haven't been able to just highlight a portion of a previously posted item and move it.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Terri in Milwaukee: I can knit with relaxed hands and never suffer from long sessions, but I guess I hold my crochet projects wrong because when I set them down my hands ache. I don't have arthritis in my hands as far as I know. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I don't think you're antisocial at all. You are far more social than I am. You have parties and meet friends for meals out. I think you're practicing a new "religion." That religion is a lifestyle that focusses on taking care of your body in a healthy way. Some of your friends are not in tune with the new you. Yet. :wink:

Sylvia: Congrats on the new yoga pants! :bigsmile: I love the tray you're working on. :heart:

Jane: Stay as warm as you can. :smiley:

Barbie: I'm happy that you can walk and dance as much as you want. :bigsmile: I hope they find a medicine that will improve your situation. :heart:

Eccentric: Horseback riding burns a lot of calories and so does dance. Enjoy. As far as I know, it is not possible to spot reduce. Your body uses its own logic to take away inches from here or there. Exercising more will help make you stronger and more supple. :flowerforyou:

EllenFlickner: Welcome, you sweet young thing. :bigsmile: Best tips: Measure your food portions and count calories in and calories out. You can earn extra treats by moving more. My biggest problem was portion size. I always chose healthy foods; I simply ate too much. I've learned to take smaller amounts, and use measuring devices to be sure of that when I'm at home. :flowerforyou:

I had a quiet day at home, but at least I wasn't sick in bed. Yay!!!! I hope to go to yoga in the morning. This winter has had more sick time than I like. I'm hoping things get better and the sick time is all behind me.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I am a newbie and have never posted before so forgive me for probably doing this incorrectly. I am currently freezing in the MidAtlantic region and will need to get some essential supplies for the expected snowpocalypse. I enjoy the arts, international travel, cooking and eating new foods, particularly Middle Eastern vegetarian. I have worked in many parts of the world (aid worker) including conflict regions and emerging democracies. Like many on this thread, I used to be very thin. I want to get back to what I used to be (5 junior petite, and that was before vanity sizing was invented) and be far more active and effective in my work and personal life.