The Clean Eating Delusion...

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Your comments about chemicals are ridiculous. Of course all things are made of chemical compounds, whether found in nature or the lab. But, people eating organic or raw are trying to avoid or minimize the amount of pesticides, processed foods and toxins in their bodies. Most of what you have written are opinions, not fact, and describing others' choices as ignorant or nonsense just proves that you are the one who is both!

you do realize that organic foods and vegetables are treated with pesticides, correct?

Some are. You do realize that many people grow food that is not treated with pesticides, correct?

The post you replied to said "avoid or minimize" pesticides in your body. If you want to minimize pesticides organic may do that

if you are eating organic you are not avoiding pesticides or chemicals, chances are you not minimizing them either..

not sure why you dont understand that.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Your comments about chemicals are ridiculous. Of course all things are made of chemical compounds, whether found in nature or the lab. But, people eating organic or raw are trying to avoid or minimize the amount of pesticides, processed foods and toxins in their bodies. Most of what you have written are opinions, not fact, and describing others' choices as ignorant or nonsense just proves that you are the one who is both!

you do realize that organic foods and vegetables are treated with pesticides, correct?

Some are. You do realize that many people grow food that is not treated with pesticides, correct?

The post you replied to said "avoid or minimize" pesticides in your body. If you want to minimize pesticides organic may do that

if you are eating organic you are not avoiding pesticides or chemicals, chances are you not minimizing them either..

I understand that I can avoid added pesticides and chemicals, and that would absolutely mean less.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    susan100df wrote: »
    No I can't explain it. It's way above my pay grade.

Well seeing as the last PhD who proposed DNA somehow possibly surviving digestion had his experiment found unrepeatable with probably explanation of results being lab contamination, yeah, I imagine it would be a pretty high pay grade to show eating DNA changes DNA expression.

To be fair, DNA transformation occurs, but at a very small rate. I just can't see how having GMOs vs non-GMO could possibly increase the transformation rate.

I was under the impression that whole sale RNA passing through digestion to actually cause effects in an organism would be a novel finding in modern biology:
    http://www.biofortified.org/2013/11/so-much-for-my-favorite-2012-paper/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I understand that I can avoid added pesticides and chemicals, and that would absolutely mean less.

so you avoid pesticides by consuming pesticides..?

that is a neat trick ..
  • senecarr
    Options

"Treated" by whom? There are no pesticide free plants.

Treated by a human. I've never known anyone to refer to a plant's own defense system as treatment.

I tend to trust acts of men over acts of plants. Humans have a nominal interest in not killing me, plants have an outright incentive to see me as little different from an aphid.

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! Thanks for that memory. :D
    You mean nightshade, tomatoes' cousin? Or Tobacco, tomatoes' other cousin? Or that similar chemicals in tomatoes cause rashes and other issues in people? All chemicals related to the plants producing a pesticide? Yeah, I'm very silly for thinking plants have any capacity to defend themselves.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

so you avoid pesticides by consuming pesticides..?

that is a neat trick ..

I can avoid added pesticides by eating food not treated with pesticides. It's a very old trick.
  • senecarr
    Options

It only changes the numbers of types of pesticides at best. It doesn't guarantee you'll reduce the overall effective dose of pesticides because the particular cultivar of plant used might be one that produces more of its own.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Treated by a human. I've never known anyone to refer to a plant's own defense system as treatment.

I tend to trust acts of men over acts of plants. Humans have a nominal interest in not killing me, plants have an outright incentive to see me as little different from an aphid.

You mean nightshade, tomatoes' cousin? Or Tobacco, tomatoes' other cousin? Or that similar chemicals in tomatoes cause rashes and other issues in people? All chemicals related to the plants producing a pesticide? Yeah, I'm very silly for thinking plants have any capacity to defend themselves.

Nope. I meant http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080391/.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

It only changes the numbers of types of pesticides at best. It doesn't guarantee you'll reduce the overall effective dose of pesticides because the particular cultivar of plant used might be one that produces more of its own.

and it does beg the question with some food: At what order of magnitude below a NOEL do pesticide residues have to be before I cease to care?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Naaaah. Actually reading and replying to something that makes sense would be so boring. Making fun of people avoiding pesticides and replying that e.g. water is a chemical so they are crazy, it is just so much more fun ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

or it might not
  • senecarr
    Options

Nope. I meant http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080391/.

I know the movie title. I watched the cartoon version of it a fair amount when younger, but still grew up to trust biotechnology, done responsibly. I simply ignored the reference.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Not really. Humans have an interest in maximising their profit. Sometimes in morally acceptable ways, sometimes not. Cigarettes are produced and sold by humans.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options

I agree mostly. Monsanto employees are eating the GMO foods too.

You can't deny that companies (humans) have caused people to become very sick and/or die because they put profit over safety. The first thing that comes to mind is companies releasing bad stuff into the water supply and lots of people get cancer in the area. It cost more to dispose the bad stuff properly.

Like I said I eat and feed my family GMO foods. I just don't have trust that it's 100% safe.
  • senecarr
    Options

or it might not

In which case you might have more pests in your food.
    You're going to need to adjust the protein numbers in that food when you log it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

or it might not

You're going to need to adjust the protein numbers in that food when you log it.

I don't log food but I'm often short on protein anyway.
  • senecarr
    Options

or it might not

I don't log food but I'm often short on protein anyway.

Chit-chat would be willing to help you with that.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Naaaah. Actually reading and replying to something that makes sense would be so boring. Making fun of people avoiding pesticides and replying that e.g. water is a chemical so they are crazy, it is just so much more fun ;)

I know, right. Like the way you avoided these comments.

The vast majority of the pesticides you ingest are those produced by the plants themselves. And organic pesticides are not inherently safer than conventional, but are not as rigorously tested.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    And now I want a horse-pig @carlos_421
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Quoting cuz I think no one watched it.

I already have two.
    Raised em on GMO corn.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    shadowconn wrote: »
    meeehh . . My only rule is that if I can't reproduce it in my kitchen, I'm not buying it. I have yet to find something I couldn't reproduce in my own kitchen. A hand blender and corn starch can do a lot. *grins*

I can neither grow bananas nor raise chickens in my kitchen.
    I can also not bake bread or make pasta.

but you can make tortillas! yes?

Yup!! Salsa too.
    I'd rather you make the tortillas though.
    Trade you half my salsa for half your tortillas.