The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda actually looking forward to the snow storm this weekend up in the northeast end of the country. Had a couple of inches finally earlier in the week. I'll be getting my snow shoveling workouts in. I'll never get my husky to come inside now...

Don't get me wrong, I love snow, it's just the work aspect. My job they'll require 16-20 hours or more with no break (even lunch breaks are cancelled - tough sh** eat at your workstation). Every time I wait for the bus to the City when this happens, I hear those working in the Financial District bragging about their employers putting them up in a hotel. My job, your long tour is up, the manager tells you get the f*** out of here and don't get caught napping anywhere near the property, even if there is no train service to get one home.

I do realize I am getting way too bitter, but with no college my prospects of quitting this job and finding another are slim in this area. Think the above is bad, you should hear me at work, at least at this point I'm still smart enough to know when to stop.

I see Sunday and Monday are going to be a bit warmer, hopefully I can get home and enjoy the snow for a little before it melts, and after I dig myself in (when I get home Sunday morn). Last year I made a Calvin-esque snow monster... 8-12 inches ain't much but maybe make a small one.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't like snow. People in this area don't know how to drive in it. Just this morning a guy behind me put himself in a ditch because he was coming up behind me too fast and when he his brakes he started sliding, so had to steer himself off the road.
  • jimmckenna68
    jimmckenna68 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It's obvious, though, why he was trying to catch up with you!
  • belimawr
    Options
    I don't like snow. People in this area don't know how to drive in it. Just this morning a guy behind me put himself in a ditch because he was coming up behind me too fast and when he his brakes he started sliding, so had to steer himself off the road.

I had a guy following me last year during a blizzard. I was doing forty, which was faster than maybe I should have been doing but I was comfortable, in the right lane of the highway. Some *kitten* in a Kia got behind me and started flashing me. Moron, I'm sure he was trying to end up in a ditch too.
  • Forestgirly
    Forestgirly Posts: 2,700 Member
    Options
    Hello guys
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    Not looking forward to the winter weather down my way. 2-4 in of snow and up to .25in of ice. Yay. Thankfully I'll be heading home just as it's moving into my area.
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Not looking forward to the winter weather down my way. 2-4 in of snow and up to .25in of ice. Yay. Thankfully I'll be heading home just as it's moving into my area.

I know the feeling. They're calling for up to 2ft here and I work night shift tomorrow.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    you guys!!! i cant sleep!! ive been binge watching shows non stop!
  • fireguy262
    fireguy262 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

"belimawr wrote: »
    I had a guy following me last year during a blizzard. I was doing forty, which was faster than maybe I should have been doing but I was comfortable, in the right lane of the highway. Some *kitten* in a Kia got behind me and started flashing me. Moron, I'm sure he was trying to end up in a ditch too.

We call that "job security" in my line of work.

• bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    fireguy262 wrote: »

Me too lol
  • belimawr
    Options

I know the feeling. They're calling for up to 2ft here and I work night shift tomorrow.

Good I'll have company ;-) working 2pm to 6am
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,203 Member
    Options
    We are warming up here. We got up to 40 degrees today. That really bites. Now the avalanche hazard is going to be pretty high. It is nice having the ice off the roads again. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Ok, who wants to come read this history chapter out loud to me while I knit?
  • JeffreyMGiron
    JeffreyMGiron Posts: 3,582 Member
    Options
    Ok, who wants to come read this history chapter out loud to me while I knit?

what history and this sounds extremely entertaining. seriously.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    American History Since 1877. Primarily centered around the Labor Movement.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,203 Member
    Options
    Well, as much as I would like to, I'm dying for pizza and can't get my mind off it. It would sound like "In 1877 when the Wig movement was at it's hight, they order pizza for every worker in the factory. The labor bosses said they couldn't eat pizza on the job. The works revolted and went out for pizza to lucky strike pizzaria. And that's how they became known as strikes. "
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    fireguy262 wrote: »

Me too lol

Me three!

Also, if we get snow...I KNOW they'll call me in for OT because I can walk to work and be here in less than 20 mins! :lol:
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Allo! So I had an interview for a warehouse position (this place hires anyone) and it went fine. They wanted someone to start Mon, which I gotta give my current employer 2 weeks notice so I couldn't but it sounds like next time they get something that they will know about 2 weeks in advance, I'll get a call. They have an on site sliding scale fee daycare so that will be cool during summer/holiday breaks. Normally 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. so that works but my days off would be Sat/Sun and my fiance Wed/Thu but it is what it is. Also starts off at a lower wage than I make now but I do only work 4 days a week so it about breaks even. Good thing is that after two weeks with the company, you can move to different (better paying) positions. I had to interview as a normal person so I put my "transformation" in my pics on here if you are interested...a pic of me normally nest to my interview look. Also check out the gold sparkly dress I found at Goodwill for $5.88! Hubba hubba! I can't wait to wear that thing to a show in February! Thank YOU digestive problems for the weight loss that allowed me to fit in that puppy! The last two pics are the two I just mentioned...fyi.

Also...tater tot started Broadway and wants to go everyday now. Imagine that. And on Wednesday we received a note written in her assignment notebook about how she brings joy to the teachers and make them laugh with her "comments and expressions". She is such a little ham. AND she got moved up to a D level reading...which means 1st grade level. Her goal was to get to C by the end of kindergarten. Watch out! This kid is gonna make a place for herself someday!

• BodyByBex
    Options
    American History Since 1877. Primarily centered around the Labor Movement.

I will do it for tacos.

I swear, I haven't lost any weight since I've started weight lifting and I really want to blame the tacos. I have had 2 homemade tacos every day since Tuesday and on Wednesday I had 4....

My weight lifting thread peeps tell me not to worry as long as I am accurately weighing/measuring and staying within calories and drinking lots of water(still working on that).
    Scale is a stupid thing anyway because my leggings are fitting better than ever.
  • BodyByBex
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Allo! So I had an interview for a warehouse position (this place hires anyone) and it went fine. They wanted someone to start Mon, which I gotta give my current employer 2 weeks notice so I couldn't but it sounds like next time they get something that they will know about 2 weeks in advance, I'll get a call. They have an on site sliding scale fee daycare so that will be cool during summer/holiday breaks. Normally 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. so that works but my days off would be Sat/Sun and my fiance Wed/Thu but it is what it is. Also starts off at a lower wage than I make now but I do only work 4 days a week so it about breaks even. Good thing is that after two weeks with the company, you can move to different (better paying) positions. I had to interview as a normal person so I put my "transformation" in my pics on here if you are interested...a pic of me normally nest to my interview look. Also check out the gold sparkly dress I found at Goodwill for $5.88! Hubba hubba! I can't wait to wear that thing to a show in February! Thank YOU digestive problems for the weight loss that allowed me to fit in that puppy! The last two pics are the two I just mentioned...fyi.

Also...tater tot started Broadway and wants to go everyday now. Imagine that. And on Wednesday we received a note written in her assignment notebook about how she brings joy to the teachers and make them laugh with her "comments and expressions". She is such a little ham. AND she got moved up to a D level reading...which means 1st grade level. Her goal was to get to C by the end of kindergarten. Watch out! This kid is gonna make a place for herself someday!

You look great! Also, I sent you a Friend Request. Since you're soon to abandon night shifts, I gotta keep up with you some how. :wink:

That dress is gorgeous btw. I'm hoping to find something equally as cute(and hopefully as cheap) if I do anything for my birthday on the 9th...I'll be 27! YAY!