Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    To the guy who came in with both hands down the front of his shorts, asking if I'd seen "this girl," and proceeded to take a huge handful of candy out of my jar: Thank you. I will probably get in trouble for throwing away $5 worth of candy remaining in the jar, because EW! You nasty!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    WOW! That just ain't right! um, yuck! I'm sure we could start a fund to replace the candy if your boss doesn't understand.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    To the guy who came in with both hands down the front of his shorts, asking if I'd seen "this girl," and proceeded to take a huge handful of candy out of my jar: Thank you. I will probably get in trouble for throwing away $5 worth of candy remaining in the jar, because EW! You nasty!

I do NOT understand that at ALL!

There are some guys that have asked me for dates, walking up to me just like that.
    "Say girl, wanna go get 'sumin*' to eat?" *ENGLISH MOTHER SMURFER! DO YOU SPEAK IT?!*
    "Uhm, no."
    "But why babe?"
    "1)I'm not your babe. 2) You're disgusting. Get your hands out of your pants and dress like you actually respect yourself."

*scrub ambles off*"....*kitten*."

https://youtu.be/FrLequ6dUdM
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    You have to wonder if they look back at what they were wearing and think, "What was I thinking!!" :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Went exploring on my fat tire bike today. Found a new trail. SMOKED my legs! Nice little lake at the end though. It was nice. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    So today I noticed that Mr. Blue Eyes is really fit (he's in 2 of my classes) which of course immediately makes me intimidated because I'm still 20ish lbs overweight and 30ish lbs away from my goal. Actually, I think in some small, dark corner of my brain, I'm still the entire 80 lbs overweight.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    How do you guys deal with difficult coworkers? yet again tonight I get one calling me, giving me attitude, and when I give the same attitude back, I get a call from management saying that the other person called them I'm the one being disrespectful! People around here speak to me however they want, and I'm supposed to bend over and kiss their *kitten*, or I get threatened with discipline? WTF? I wish I could quit this job, but not being college educated (and even then in the current job climate), there's not many options.

I wish I could not take these things personal, but how can I not? I try to treat everyone with respect, until I get the opposite. It's wearing on me, and I feel like blowing my top, and I hope I can find a solution before it's too late.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    There's a slight chance the coworker doesn't realize their attitude is coming through. If you can, talk to them directly and let them know, as politely as possible, that it is. Also, it's likely that they are offended at whatever they imagine you did, so I would try to patch that up if you can. If that doesn't work, take it to management. Let them know in no uncertain terms that the coworker was awful to you 1st.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @sufferlandrian That fat tire bike looks awesome! I want one!

Wouldn't mind having the lake also. I mean we have Lake Bastrop, but I rarely see it anymore working nights and all.

@jennifer_417 Yeah the 'fatty mindset' as I call it is tough to break. Went shopping for some shirts on sale and had to return them all because I didn't try them on and bought XXL out of habit... :pensive:
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I remember one guy using his credit card to scratch his neck...then handing it to me. Eee.Yew.

The "night shift package"...includes caffeine, sleeping pills, earplugs and eye mask! I would be fine with just the night shift...it is the switching to day walker status on my days off and switching it back off thing that is rough. Now that my tot is in all day school, I've considered finding a day job. I really don't think I could handle it though. I get overwhelmed at the slightest thing...I can't imagine starting a new job...especially one that expects me to...Gasp!...work.

Getting ready. If I'm going to work and doing hair and makeup...about an hour to an hour and a half. If I'm going out, closer to two hours. Days like today where I'm at work and didn't feel like makeup or hair...it was a quick shower and change of clothes and that was it.

You guys ever heard of Danielle Colby from the TV show American Pickers? (I've never even seen the show, we've never had cable, but I know of the show.) She started following me today on Instagram! She is from a town called LeClaire which is about 25 minutes away from my house so she is a local. Well, she lives in Chicago now but ya know what I mean. We've seen her out and about at shows and at bars before and one of the dudes from the show is always at our favorite watering hole. When people come to the hotel to stay (which is only probably 15 minutes away from LeClaire) and they want to go to their shop or have seen the show...they sometimes see me and assume I know her because of the tattoos and what not. I'm like "Nooo...I met her once though!" I have a pic of me with her somewhere. Anyway...I was stoked!
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    When I was a cashier, I would have people put their card in their mouth and then hand it to me, take stuff out of their kids' mouth and hand it to me, take cash out of their bras...bottom line, people are nasty. If I spent too much time thinking about where people put their hands in general, I'd probably be too paranoid to touch much of anything in public.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    I'm guilty of the cash out of the bra. I'll admit it. I don't do it when I'm sweaty and I do try to take it out prior to paying for whatever so I'm not pulling it out at the register. I know those things do not make it right but that is how I justify it to myself!
  • belimawr
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There's a slight chance the coworker doesn't realize their attitude is coming through. If you can, talk to them directly and let them know, as politely as possible, that it is. Also, it's likely that they are offended at whatever they imagine you did, so I would try to patch that up if you can. If that doesn't work, take it to management. Let them know in no uncertain terms that the coworker was awful to you 1st.

Well, it all started because he took offense because I stated I didn't appreciate the attitude, as I hadn't spoken to him such, and that's when I got a repeated "whatever," which was what had set me off. Never did it come to yelling or cursing, but maybe a bit of a tone change on both sides.

I contacted management first, who told me they ain't got time to deal with crap like this, but "you /b]I[b need to be respectful to your [my] coworkers. We have a respectful workplace policy."

Like I said, it just pisses me off my coworkers feel I have to take their crap, but they can act however they want then threaten me. That's what I need to find a working remedy to.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »
    How do you guys deal with difficult coworkers? yet again tonight I get one calling me, giving me attitude, and when I give the same attitude back, I get a call from management saying that the other person called them I'm the one being disrespectful! People around here speak to me however they want, and I'm supposed to bend over and kiss their *kitten*, or I get threatened with discipline? WTF? I wish I could quit this job, but not being college educated (and even then in the current job climate), there's not many options.

I wish I could not take these things personal, but how can I not? I try to treat everyone with respect, until I get the opposite. It's wearing on me, and I feel like blowing my top, and I hope I can find a solution before it's too late.

Be the one to remain courteous and then call management about their attitude. Whoever cries to the superiors first wins that game.

Or, if you get attitude, simply state (I have done this) "I refuse to speak to you any further until you change your tone" and hang up.
    When they go to a supervisor say that 'I felt they were speaking to me in a rude tone' emphasize that 'you felt' that way.
    Then it all becomes a matter of perception instead of fact.
    If the manager is worth their salt, they will ask 'Did you realize you could have come off this way?'
    Then the blame is on them.

It's how we dealt with the rude dispatchers who didn't want to listen to us and do their job. It took a while for us to develop an understanding and the night crew gets it now. It's hard putting on the fake happy ALL the time for that 12 hour shift.

We call dispatch on the phone all the time now and ask about their families and I totally owe them cookies one night for standing up for me. I swear when I'm in Houston, cookies for ALL night shift dispatch!

It's a work in progress getting the 'evening crew' to understand that they have a lot going on over there. During the day, we have our own designated dispatcher for our campus but at night(6pm-6am) we don't and we need to be nice to get them to want to listen for us.

Some nights, I'll even call and ask when they think the best time to do my rounds would be. Then they usually ask what buildings I'm doing and one will set a timer for every 4 minutes so I don't even have to call over the radio but I still get my calls in! Ms. Walker is the BEST!
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I remember one guy using his credit card to scratch his neck...then handing it to me. Eee.Yew.

The "night shift package"...includes caffeine, sleeping pills, earplugs and eye mask! I would be fine with just the night shift...it is the switching to day walker status on my days off and switching it back off thing that is rough. Now that my tot is in all day school, I've considered finding a day job. I really don't think I could handle it though. I get overwhelmed at the slightest thing...I can't imagine starting a new job...especially one that expects me to...Gasp!...work.

Getting ready. If I'm going to work and doing hair and makeup...about an hour to an hour and a half. If I'm going out, closer to two hours. Days like today where I'm at work and didn't feel like makeup or hair...it was a quick shower and change of clothes and that was it.

You guys ever heard of Danielle Colby from the TV show American Pickers? (I've never even seen the show, we've never had cable, but I know of the show.) She started following me today on Instagram! She is from a town called LeClaire which is about 25 minutes away from my house so she is a local. Well, she lives in Chicago now but ya know what I mean. We've seen her out and about at shows and at bars before and one of the dudes from the show is always at our favorite watering hole. When people come to the hotel to stay (which is only probably 15 minutes away from LeClaire) and they want to go to their shop or have seen the show...they sometimes see me and assume I know her because of the tattoos and what not. I'm like "Nooo...I met her once though!" I have a pic of me with her somewhere. Anyway...I was stoked!

Wait, Danielle Colby the American burlesque dancer, fashion designer, and reality television personality? She's developing a HUGE social media fan base right now and she chose to follow YOU?!

Be hella stoked! That's pretty awesome.

I totally googled and oogled. :naughty:
  • belimawr
    Options
    I have found the shirt for the nightshift team!

3lax548672hd.jpg

I don't think that cut would look too flattering on me... :/
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »
    I have found the shirt for the nightshift team!

3lax548672hd.jpg

I don't think that cut would look too flattering on me... :/

q39ciazaji2a.jpg
  • belimawr
    Options
    Be the one to remain courteous and then call management about their attitude. Whoever cries to the superiors first wins that game.

That's what I did this time, and well... I got what I got, a lecture on how they don't have time to be bothered.
    Or, if you get attitude, simply state (I have done this) "I refuse to speak to you any further until you change your tone" and hang up.

Done that in the past. I get calls from management saying that hanging up on someone is disrespectful.

I appreciate the suggestions, I really do, and I hate that it appears I'm not taking them. It just happens I've tried what seems like commons sense.

I'm running out of patience and anything I try seems to backfire.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    I second the "I refuse to speak to you any further until you change your tone." I employ this technique frequently and it really gets the message across that you mean business. I also have to use the "You are going to let me finish my sentences without interrupting me.", quite often as well for people who try to cut me off.

But then you have to keep your tone in check as well...

I tend to make it VERY clear that I'm not fudging around...be serious, direct and keep your tone cordial and people are like "Damn, he/she isn't fudging around."