Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »
    Be the one to remain courteous and then call management about their attitude. Whoever cries to the superiors first wins that game.

That's what I did this time, and well... I got what I got, a lecture on how they don't have time to be bothered.
    Or, if you get attitude, simply state (I have done this) "I refuse to speak to you any further until you change your tone" and hang up.

Done that in the past. I get calls from management saying that hanging up on someone is disrespectful.

I appreciate the suggestions, I really do, and I hate that it appears I'm not taking them. It just happens I've tried what seems like commons sense.

I'm running out of patience and anything I try seems to backfire.

Then record EVERYTHING. It's what the administrators did in the 412 building. They got a weeks worth of rudeness, there was reprimands and then nothing changed (they were still recording because they knew nothing would) and then someone got fired.
    It was not awesome. This person was very threatening and we ended up on high alert for a long time until his work visa ran out and he had to go back to India.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you guys do it. All of my interaction with people is on the phone. I'm glad they can't see my face, I'd lose my job. Lol
  • BodyByBex
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I second the "I refuse to speak to you any further until you change your tone." I employ this technique frequently and it really gets the message across that you mean business. I also have to use the "You are going to let me finish my sentences without interrupting me.", quite often as well for people who try to cut me off.

But then you have to keep your tone in check as well...

I tend to make it VERY clear that I'm not fudging around...be serious, direct and keep your tone cordial and people are like "Damn, he/she isn't fudging around."

From Captain Witherspoon using the "You're going to let me finish my sentences." with a semi-stern look, I got the "Woah! Am I being an *kitten* right now?" *no response from me because she's my superior* "Damn. I'm so sorry. Let's start this over." *Queue me with BIG smile*

Sometimes, it's like raising children. Which is why I don't want any. I think the WORST was when I had to use the finishing sentence one on my MOTHER recently.... :neutral:

ETA: No kids for me because it feels like I'm raising the rest of the gorram world!
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    Can I just say how proud I am of myself? I figured out how to use Windows 8. I've had my laptop for a year and just figured out the tiles and apps. Yeah, that made me feel really old.

@Frankie_Felinius I love American Pickers. I'd love to meet her one day, I love her tattoos.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Can I just say how proud I am of myself? I figured out how to use Windows 8. I've had my laptop for a year and just figured out the tiles and apps. Yeah, that made me feel really old.

@Frankie_Felinius I love American Pickers. I'd love to meet her one day, I love her tattoos.

You're obviously not old and I LOVE the new profile pic. It's great to see your beautiful smiling face!
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    Nah but it made me feel old. I grew up using windows xp and had that down pat. I was mad when they quit supporting it. Dorky, I know but I knew what I was doing lol.

Thanks! I was kinda nervous to put it up. I'm way critical of myself but I thought it was a good pic.

I'm about to ignore my dr and go walking tomorrow. Since I got new bp meds and thyroid meds in me for a week, I feel 100% better. Told him I'd finally started losing weight again and you don't want me to do anything strenuous. Psh.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Nah but it made me feel old. I grew up using windows xp and had that down pat. I was mad when they quit supporting it. Dorky, I know but I knew what I was doing lol.

Thanks! I was kinda nervous to put it up. I'm way critical of myself but I thought it was a good pic.

I'm about to ignore my dr and go walking tomorrow. Since I got new bp meds and thyroid meds in me for a week, I feel 100% better. Told him I'd finally started losing weight again and you don't want me to do anything strenuous. Psh.

Keep the walking light. Maybe every other day?
    It's the regimen we've got my dad on at the moment. One mile every other day. It's not much but it helps him. I also tell him no more than 20 minutes at a time on the elliptical. And sometimes I have to check on him because he will push himself REALLY hard.
    We all are rooting for your success but we also want you to stay safe. :grin:
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Give up then. I worked at this same hotel years ago, before I had my kid, back when I was a very mean, angry person. We had horrible management back then and the only way a job was done well was if the person doing the job cared enough to do a good job. If they didn't...the job was done poorly and no one did anything about it. Our breakfast attendant (who only did the tear down, we auditors did the set up back then) was a lazy hag who never cleaned anything properly, never stocked anything. I would get sooo frickin' angry every single day. I'd leave full page typed diatribes regularly asking her to give a shizz about her job. Nothing changed except my personal anger level. I was so consumed by being so angry, it affected me outside of work. I was so damn bitter. So one day I decided to quit caring. If she left stuff filthy, oh well. Not stocked, oh well...guess we were out of that item that day.

It isn't the best option but if it gets to the point that your unhappiness at work starts to seep into your life outside of work...just give up caring.

Apathy is bliss...they say...

I have taken this a little too far, giving up caring about a lot of things because I used to care too much and it really effed me up. I used to be really hard on myself for not having a better job. I gave up. I told myself that at least I have a job that pays the bills and beating myself up for not having a more prestigious job wasn't helping anything...so I quit caring about it. I quit caring so much about being fat. I'm still self-conscious sometimes but for the most part...I'm pretty ok with it. I'd like to be healthier, sure but I have no qualms about showing my fat arms anymore...I used to care...now I don't.

Easier said than done, I know. Of all people I'm probably the oddest for this to come from considering that there is a lot of shizz I need to quit caring soooo much about but hey...sometimes it just gets to the point your only option is to give up...but that is just me...my fiancé is the kind of person that doesn't even begin to understand my way of thinking...and you many be that way too...but instead of letting something consume you...let it go.

Let it goooooo, let it goooo, don't let it hold you back anymooooore, let it goo, let it gooooo, turn away and slam the doooor! Seriously...that Elsa...
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    Yeah I def can't bust it out like I want to but I think the main issue was my thyroid. I'm hoping the cardiologist will tell me I don't need the stress test just yet.

I was a walking nervous wreck who couldn't stop sweating (very attractive let me tell you lmao). I knew something was up but never in a million years would've guessed thyroid. I told my friends to get that mess checked if something is up.

It's a 2 mile trail but I promise I'll take it easy. Pinky swear.
  • BodyByBex
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Give up then. I worked at this same hotel years ago, before I had my kid, back when I was a very mean, angry person. We had horrible management back then and the only way a job was done well was if the person doing the job cared enough to do a good job. If they didn't...the job was done poorly and no one did anything about it. Our breakfast attendant (who only did the tear down, we auditors did the set up back then) was a lazy hag who never cleaned anything properly, never stocked anything. I would get sooo frickin' angry every single day. I'd leave full page typed diatribes regularly asking her to give a shizz about her job. Nothing changed except my personal anger level. I was so consumed by being so angry, it affected me outside of work. I was so damn bitter. So one day I decided to quit caring. If she left stuff filthy, oh well. Not stocked, oh well...guess we were out of that item that day.

It isn't the best option but if it gets to the point that your unhappiness at work starts to seep into your life outside of work...just give up caring.

I have taken this a little too far, giving up caring about a lot of things because I used to care too much and it really effed me up. I used to be really hard on myself for not having a better job. I gave up. I told myself that at least I have a job that pays the bills and beating myself up for not having a more prestigious job wasn't helping anything...so I quit caring about it. I quit caring so much about being fat. I'm still self-conscious sometimes but for the most part...I'm pretty ok with it. I'd like to be healthier, sure but I have no qualms about showing my fat arms anymore...I used to care...now I don't.

Easier said than done, I know. Of all people I'm probably the oddest for this to come from considering that there is a lot of shizz I need to quit caring soooo much about but hey...sometimes it just gets to the point your only option is to give up...but that is just me...my fiancé is the kind of person that doesn't even begin to understand my way of thinking...and you many be that way too...but instead of letting something consume you...let it go.

Let it goooooo, let it goooo, don't let it hold you back anymooooore, let it goo, let it gooooo, turn away and slam the doooor! Seriously...that Elsa...

Oh no you didn't...

But yeah this is a definite option. It's what I started doing with Approved Money Center. It stressed me out so badly inside work, outside of work, even talking about anything work related just pissed me off to NO END. So I stopped caring and began searching until I found another job that paid the bills, offered better benefits, and I'm not stressing ALL THE DAMN TIME.
    Now I'm not nearly as cranky and I get time to do stuff like food prep and work out!
    Working from 9am-7pm Monday-Saturday was EXHAUSTING and at a job I hated that would put me in weird hours so I wouldn't get any overtime. They would get upset if I missed a 3 hour conference call on my days off. Sorry, if you're not clocking me in, I'm not wasting my time.
    Work-life balance.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Yeah I def can't bust it out like I want to but I think the main issue was my thyroid. I'm hoping the cardiologist will tell me I don't need the stress test just yet.

I was a walking nervous wreck who couldn't stop sweating (very attractive let me tell you lmao). I knew something was up but never in a million years would've guessed thyroid. I told my friends to get that mess checked if something is up.

It's a 2 mile trail but I promise I'll take it easy. Pinky swear.

*glares suspiciously* Okaaayyy....

Keep checking in with us too. We have a doctor in the thread. He's a vet, but humans are animals..... right @sufferlandrian?
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Give up then...

I really, really wish I could. I try telling myself over and over it doesn't matter... but, well, here I still am.

LOL... I haven't figured it out yet, but I don't have it either. No Windows for me here... I've tried to help my mother on her Windows 8 laptop and it makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

This coming from a former computer geek.
    ETA: No kids for me because it feels like I'm raising the rest of the gorram world!

Shiny. You said "gorram." I really like you now. ;)
  • bethanie0825
    Options

That's why I left the 911 center I was at. I had coworkers who were just plain mean and would back stab you anytime they could. Others just didn't give a hoot and that included the director. She didn't give a flying you know what as long as we made her look good. 4 experienced dispatchers left within 9 months. I had the least amount of time at 6 years.

I was bringing it home. Being snappy at people. I was def lucky to get hired where I'm at now. I'd be pulling my hair out and banging my head on the console.

I hope you find peace and balance.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Give up then...

I really, really wish I could. I try telling myself over and over it doesn't matter... but, well, here I still am.

LOL... I haven't figured it out yet, but I don't have it either. No Windows for me here... I've tried to help my mother on her Windows 8 laptop and it makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

This coming from a former computer geek.

Shiny. You said "gorram." I really like you now. ;)

I type just like I talk in real life. So that means words like shiny, gorram, smurf, and every word MFP stars out will actually come out of my mouth.

• BodyByBex
    Options
    Only 5 more hours until I get STABBED again!

We're getting mandatory flu shots.... :hushed:
  • belimawr
    Options
    i have never gotten one, but everyone fears them...
  • belimawr
    Options
    mi1k8yyfkicz.jpg

Summer sunrise over Brooklyn... and it's gonna be a hot one :/
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    i have never gotten one, but everyone fears them...

I'm not afraid of the flu shot. I am ready. Going to get my shot, go home, work out, and then pass out!

I MIGHT work a shower in there somewhere.....Maybe....
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Be the one to remain courteous and then call management about their attitude. Whoever cries to the superiors first wins that game.

That's what I did this time, and well... I got what I got, a lecture on how they don't have time to be bothered.
    Or, if you get attitude, simply state (I have done this) "I refuse to speak to you any further until you change your tone" and hang up.

Done that in the past. I get calls from management saying that hanging up on someone is disrespectful.

I appreciate the suggestions, I really do, and I hate that it appears I'm not taking them. It just happens I've tried what seems like commons sense.

I'm running out of patience and anything I try seems to backfire.

I just told the guy the last time, "Do you mind if I put this on speaker phone so I can record this. I would like to be able to go back over our conversation and see what I'm doing that you find offensive." He hung up.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options

If you're feeling better, why wouldn't they want you to go walking?