Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    kimses2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone --
    Well, as I thought was going to happen, I lost my job yesterday. No fault of my own but it was a startup and they misidentified the skill set needed. I'm ok with it though. I knew it was coming and oddly, it's kind of a relief to have it done and over with. I was prepared. So now I have time on my hands to spend on getting fit! I did get mugged by some cookies last night. The pinned me down and jumped into my mouth.
    I slept until 9:30 and it's 11:30 and I haven't had breakfast yet.
    Feeling disorganzied at the moment. Will be back later.

Kimses in MA

I am so sorry to hear that! Maybe you need a burglar alarm at home! (((Hugs)))

<3

Mary from Minnesota

• miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Janetr - Love the bracelet and ring. The colors are beautiful.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Kimses ~ So sorry to hear about you losing your job but glad you were prepared. Wishing you much luck in finding one that you love.

Carol
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Janetr - My new granddaughter is due to arrive on March 14th by Caesarian section. My DDIL has all the helping shifts organised, so we're all hoping she doesn't come early. She is finishing work on the 2nd February.
    With regard to kids running off - we all set off to get DGS from school with DGD on her scooter and DH pushing the buggy behind her. She set off down the hill at a great rate and I was quite worried. :noway: DDIL assured me she always stops at the roads and didn't seem at all bothered. Sure enough she always waited for us before crossing. Here is a photo with the very pregnant DDIL. :D<3

tslse4prl529.jpg

My new roasting tray and rack arrived today so I have thrown the old one out, which was not sparking joy. :laugh: It was incredibly cheap. Also two new towels for the guest room as the old ones are very thin. Also really inexpensive. :D Also the Aperol aperitif which I am going to use for the blood orange sorbet. :D Will make that tomorrow with the free ice cream maker I got with my KitchenAid. I've never used it, so this will be a first.

Mary - they do say weights can do that to you. You get "smaller" without losing weight. :flowerforyou:

Got my antibiotics. I'm holding out to see if it will get better by itself, but I feel better just having them there.

Love Heather UK

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: Your fish welcome sign is delightful. The colors came out bright and cheerful. :flowerforyou:

Becca: Sorry that your neighbors woke you. Kim has an excellent idea, but your DH would need to play along. :wink:

Barbie: Tell us if the voodoo doll backrub works. If it does, I'm making one too. :smiley:

janetr: Enjoy your stay in AZ. The Zuni jewelry is beautiful. :heart:

Ellen: We have a 24 hour fitness place here in town and I was a member for a while before I retired. It is clean and well managed, but I didn't like being there alone at night or in the early am. At the time, DH and I bought a trainer for our bike so we could ride in the garage at our convenience. We still have the trainer, but it isn't set up right now. I wish you good luck finding your best solution. :smiley:

Heather: Would a root canal save your tooth? The tooth essentially becomes a placeholder, but the nerve is removed so there is no pain. It seems to work okay for molars. :flowerforyou: Lovely photo of your DGK & DH. :heart:

Grits: Snow is relatively predictable and survivable. Tornadoes deal out a random destruction and violence that can't be predicted. I'm so glad we live in an area where they are very rare. They scare me. :noway:

Kimses: If getting mugged by cookies is the worst of it, you've done a good job handling the job situation. Don't let the cookies make a habit of it, though. :wink: You seem to have a very positive attitude.

Yoga today! I need to get dressed and go. Had a lovely phone call from DSIL and now I'm a bit behind with my morning routine.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    Katla - the tooth was root filled many, many years ago, but the dentist did not manage to fill the whole root space and left a little pocket at the bottom. It is this space which grumbles from time to time. I have fought off having major work done for years, but I feel I have come to the end of the line. :s

Love Heather UK
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,357 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Super happy! Mia in MI, Congratulations on getting "fired" from your Cardiologist. That is such awesome news! My next goal is to have my Oncologist "fire" me and tell me I have nothing more to worry about! ;)

I got the okay from the Ortho surgeon today to start walking as long as I don't overdo it, so that's awesome. My knee is healing really well but I keep getting scolded not to be so impatient because it has only been 2 weeks and I want everything to be better now! LOL.

All of you in the path of the storm, hunker down and be safe!

I hope to hop on this weekend and get caught up on how you all are doing. I think of you daily but work is crazy busy right now!

Blessings...

Tracie in Green Bay
  • AngelaPea
    AngelaPea Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Kimses
    So very sorry to hear about the job loss. I hope you find something fulfilling quickly.

Mia in MI
    YAHOOOO on the downgrade from the cardioligist!

Tracie in Green Bay
    LOL...I'd like to be dismissed by my oncologist, too! She just shifted me down to visiting once every four months. She said I could schedule more often if I missed her. :smiley: Seriously...I saw her every week for almost a year, then once a month, then every other month.

It's so cold here in North Texas today! Sun is shining brightly, skies are deep blue, and the wind must be funneling straight from Canada! It's supposed to be back in the 60s by Sunday, so we're planning a bike ride for that afternoon.

Have a marvelous day, Everyone!

AngelaPea
    Hudson Oaks, Texas
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Heather - great picture! You are so fortunate to have such a lovely family! I know what you mean about the weight lifting and being a science teacher the human body is always a mystery it defies logic! CICO doesn't always reflect on the scale! I'm glad I measure!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • BonnieSpins
    BonnieSpins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Kimses - Sorry to hear about your job loss. Take advantage of your free time to do what you want and need to do.

AngelPea - Congratulations on having to see the oncologist less.

Heather - Beautiful grandbabies.

I figure the blizzard that is bearing down on us is going to fizzle. The schools closed in advance of a flake and I hear that the library where I used to work was closing at 2, again before a flake. Sure signs of a fizzle. Neither the school systems nor the library are known for this. LOL

In the meantime, the fiber is ready for spinning, the yarn is ready for knitting, and I'm ready for a nap.

Stay safe and warm to everyone else who is waiting for the storm.

Bonnie in Maryland
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thinking of all of you on the east coast with the coming snow. Hope you are all able to stay safe and warm.

Heading to another show choir competition this weekend, so we'll be on the road all day on Saturday. Meg - We'll actually be in your neck of the woods. The competition is at Millard West High School.

Found this for all of us who have trouble getting motivated to exercise...

zo6ok00ox34n.jpg

Linda/IA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Linda ~ That is so me! :)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Janetr – beautiful jewelry –

Ellen – good for you to keep trying different ways to fit it all in.. What do you do for work, could you fit some walking in during a break/lunch?

Alison – so just take next Saturday as a sick/vacation/I’m off day… the troll could work. I have to admit that I love trolls when I was a kid, and I had an orange haired super ugly troll and every time I think of your work troll I picture the orange haired troll of my youth.

Heather – sounds like a delightful day!

Kimese – love the mugged by cookies! Sorry to hear about the job, hope a better option is right around the corner.

So one of my new years ideas, was to eat a meal with you all each day, it would mean I would catch up at least once a day and because I get caught up in reading maybe I would not eat so fast, and it seems to be working… usually it is lunch as it was today.

I made part of the Kohlrabi into slaw yesterday to go with salmon for dinner it was ok, I found lots of references to just eating it raw or using it to dip. I will try that with the other ½ of it. I think I’ll like that better.

I’ve been watching storm tracker, and it looks like as of right now the mid atlantic is having snow, but not a crazy amount… time will tell … take care all!

Kim from N. California another rainy day
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Our two feet of snow has turned into an inch or so of snow with another inch of sleet on top. I would MUCH rather have snow!!

I've done my usual snow day activity which is batch cooking soup. I have a crockpot full of vegetable beef soup going and am waiting for my 16-bean soup to cool down so that I can freeze/refrigerate it. Tomorrow will be chicken with gnocchi dumplings.

Kimses - I am so sorry about your job! That's one of the things that I worry about when looking for a new job--what if it doesn't work out.

Carol in icy NC
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Kimses, sorry about the job. You know the saying, if God shuts a door, he opens a window...

Janet, love the jewelry. great idea to stay where it is warm!

Heather, love the picture and I LOVE the unisex clothing. That is one of my pet peeves about clothing here in the US now for kids. It is all "girl" or "boy" embracing all the stereotypes those labels bear. It makes parents of second children buy all new if the second is a different gender, which is why the stores do it. It is really ridiculous!

Mia, I am so glad that you were fired by your heart doc.

Carol, you make me hungry with your cooking! Heather does too, especially all her curries. I used to love to cook, but 15 years married to a man who criticized everything I made, and did, stole all the fun out. I really don't enjoy it anymore. Although I do have to admit, it isn't as much as a chore now that my son is coming for dinner occasionally!

Hope everyone who is under the weather is feeling better. Those of us, like me, that struggle with depression, I hope the longer days are lifting your mood like they are mine. Sorry for all who have losses. When I read your posts, my heart goes out to each and every one of you, even when I am not responding to each one.

Gloria, I am crushed about your grandson's losing their dog. I like the idea of volunteering at the shelter- it helps the dogs there by socializing them and getting them accustomed to being around kids, and it helps the volunteers too! Most shelters don't require formal training or scheduling, you can just stop in and offer to walk a dog. Or love on the cats. We do it informally a lot, but are too busy to schedule it in.

Speaking of being busy, my life is going to be getting a bit more busy. My neighbor stopped by this morning in tears. His son, one of my oldest daughter's friends and classmate, is failing in school. This kid has Asperger's and the school just is not able to teach him the way he needs to learn (darn teaching for the tests!). He cannot begin to imagine how his son would react to being held back, especially since it would mean losing my daughter as a classmate. I had similar experiences and frustrations (like the teachers not even knowing the kid had an IEP-Individual Education Plan!). So the two of us put our heads together and came up with a plan to help out Evan. He is going to come over five days a week to do his math homework with Emily. She is a wonderful teacher. He will also hang out and play in this less chaotic than home environment- the type of focused play Emily likes so it builds his ability to focus. If his teacher sends any other worksheets home with Emily for him to do, I will work with him. I am going to get him a scholarship for Tae Kwon Do so he learns some discipline and focus there, as well as being successful at something and spending time with Emily and other good kids. He is going to go to church and sunday school with us- he knows the sunday school teacher already since she volunteers at the school. Again, he will be able to practice focusing with out the pressure, and he will also be successful and have fun with kids his own age. (His younger brother, the age of my younger daughter, 8, is very ADHD and probably Oppositional Defiant Disorder too.) Emily and I will help him with any catch up he needs this summer. And dad and mom will stop grounding him for weeks at a time especially for things related to school. Hopefully we can all work together to get him back on track. He is a great kid and adores my girls, as does his brother. There is a toddler brother as well, who so far isn't showing any dysfunction. Wish us luck!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Kisses - So sorry about the loss of your job. I hope you find one that you really love.

Bonnie - I hope the blizzard does fizzle out for you. We have 8" so far and it's still coming down fast! State of Emergency has been declared already. Praying the power stays on.

Miriam - Bless you for helping your neighbor's son! Only positive things can come from helping others.

It's not a good thing to be snowed in. All I can think about is cooking and baking! Expecting up to 2 feet of snow by tomorrow evening! I'm so ready for spring!

Donna in snowy WV