WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE Aw sorry you are under the weather this week.... *covered in a hazmat suit* ((((((((((hugs)))))))) here friend.....hands you a mason jar of homemade chicken noodle soup......puts some romantic lusty novels by the couch......a huge glass of orange juice by the novels.......*fluff yer pillow*....get better friend!!!
    Becca
    your MFP mental nurse in
    Oregon
  • DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Does anyone on here do WW?

Donna in snowy WV
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    y5ql5jalvprs.jpg

Pip, DH & I ride these and they are very fun. They come in racier versions. Kirby may elect to shift from speed to distance, and these could spark some ideas. :heart: They definitely need colorful flags to draw attention in traffic because they're so low to the ground. PS: If you two ever want test rides, you're welcome to try ours.

Kirby used to have a recumbent (2 wheel). He is good with riding the usual bike, he just doesn't have the speed.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    We just got back from walking the dogs across the dam. Brrr! It was cold. 26 degrees with quite a strong breeze coming off the water. Spot was making the usual fuss about wanting to go in the water, so I let him off the leash. He ran screaming across the boat ramp at top speed, then thought better of it and put on the brakes. He came running right back to me to get leashed up again. Silly dog.

Now I have potatoes baking in the oven. Tonight I'm making hubby a hamburger steak and myself some pork chops with pumpkin butter. Or at least I would be if Bruno wasn't sitting quietly in my lap. He's so seldom this sweet and calm that I hate to break the spell. Hubby is building a fire, so we will sit at the table near the fireplace later and start a new puzzle. We lead such exciting lives.

Gotta go make dinner. Later, ladies! Stay warm and safe!

Sylvia
  • BonnieSpins
    BonnieSpins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Vicki - Thank you.

Well, we got/are getting slammed by the blizzard. According to the TV, it will be at least among the top 3 snowfalls since they started keeping records. In the midst of all of this, my grandson had a major asthma attack. None of his emergency meds helped. Fortunately, my SIL was still at the volunteer firehouse. They were able to take the boy to the hospital in the ambulance He was there from 9 am to maybe 5 pm before the doctors were satisfied. SIL called his buddies at the firehouse and they picked them up, but now neither their ambulance nor their utility vehicle could get up their street, so they are still at the firehouse. They won't be able to get home until a National Guardsman stationed there has time to bring them home in a HUMVEE. The five year old will be beside himself. First he got to ride in Daddy's ambulance, and then he will get to ride in a HUMVEE. Never a dull moment.

My news junkie hubby has been glued to the TV watching the blizzard news all day. I haven't been able to exercise with one of my Leslie Sansone DVD. I've already told him that this evening I get the TV.

Stay safe and warm,

Bonnie in snow-covered Maryland
  • pipcd34
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options

:) Sylvia, I gave up drinking first coffee, then tea, because I didn't like either unsweetened and didn't like any of the artificial sweeteners and didn't want to use sugar. I stared drinking only water in 2009 and have been happy with my decision.

:)Lenora, the opening post for our thread says that although the name of the thread, is women ages 50+. all women are welcome, so I hope Amanda will join in with us.

:)Katla, if you were on your horse today, you were light years ahead of the rest of us who were sitting on the couch or at the dining room table

<3 To all of you on the snowy east coast....I hope you are safe and not too sad about the activities you are missing.

:'(Pip, I am sorry to hear about KIrby's struggles. I, too, am trying to feel grateful for the mobility I have rather than concentrating on discomfort and uncertainty I feel as I walk and dance.

smiley-sleep012.gif Yes, we gave in to the desire for a nap today and all five of us climbed into bed together for two hours.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful rainy NW Washingtont111008.gif

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

146200.png

“The secret of contentment is knowing how to enjoy what you have, and to be able to lose all desire for things beyond your reach."-- Yutang Lin
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

y5ql5jalvprs.jpg

Pip, DH & I ride these and they are very fun. They come in racier versions. Kirby may elect to shift from speed to distance, and these could spark some ideas. :heart: They definitely need colorful flags to draw attention in traffic because they're so low to the ground. PS: If you two ever want test rides, you're welcome to try ours.
    Does anyone else think it's a bit odd that these bikes are shown on railroad tracks??

Chris in MA

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    y5ql5jalvprs.jpg

Does anyone else think it's a bit odd that these bikes are shown on railroad tracks??

Chris in MA

:smirk:
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Hi friends. I've been thinking of you all, even if I have been AWOL for 2 weeks. My home laptop has died,and coupled with back to back trips, I've missed 1300+ posts. Typing this on phone. Will read what I can tonight.

Sorry for all of you in the blizzard. Today it was spectacular in Denver. I'll be heading to NY on Tuesday if the airlines are back on schedule.

Belated thank yous to all who sent bday wishes. I went ice skating with 2 other 60+ friends. Good fun with lots of laughs and NO FALLS. Other NSV of the month = friend gave me some beautiful trousers and designer tops that don't fit her any more. They are a full size smaller than I what I've been buying. So happy!

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    We've been laying floor all afternoon! My DH laid it and I nailed it into place with the nailer. Takes a lot longer than you think. But every little bit is progress.

Have a great night everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Dramsey, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you. We also ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Miriam, I love the picture of you and the girls. Thanks for sharing!

Sylvia, great sale prices at the local store.

Betty, I hope you are inside all warm and safe. It looks like the storm really hit hard there.

CarolNC, I laughed when I saw the question about the beans you use in your soup because I was picturing someone buying 15 different kinds of beans.jumpy.gif I use the 15 bean mix also and have never even looked at the recipe on the bag. (duh, Janet) I do mine pretty much the same with different spices and don’t use tomatoes in mine. I like lots of onion and put celery. You can actually add any veggies that you like. Sometimes I put some cabbage in mine, as that is my new favorite veggie in soups.

MicheleNC, glad the heel is better and hope it gets to the point that you won’t even remember the problem. Yes Menopause the Musical was worth the money. Wish I could remember some of the songs to tell DH. LOL Sorry ya’ll are getting snow but at least you know it won’t last long. DH is complaining about all the rain we keep getting and I always say, “At least we don’t have to shovel it!”

Pip, so sorry Kirby didn’t get better news and that it has him down. From when it first happened, I had fears that he wouldn’t be able to do as much as he can. I feel like you are blessed he is as good as he is. I do hope after review the doc will tell him he can improve more with more pt. *crossing my fingers for him* (((((Hugs))))) to you both.

To all you Muggees, I hope you can be more vigilant about those cookies, candies and other muggers lurking around your houses. It is dangerous out there. Maybe we need to post officers in the stores where these things come from to try to keep them out of your homes?? We will have to think on this. Just be careful because enough muggings can lead to bulges even if you aren’t left with bruises.

Katla, good idea to ask for a mounting block when going riding this next time. I would think that getting on and off would be the biggest challenges. Have fun.

CarolNC, I’m one of those people with a gene that makes cilantro taste like soap. Ewww yuck….

Vicki, sorry you are among the sick. Hope you feel better soon! ill.gif

Bonnie, glad your DGS is okay and had an exciting day.

Chris, I’m with you on the bike and the RR Tracks. ????

Rori, glad to hear from you. Sorry about your laptop but glad you are okay.

Mary, that is one back breaking job you and DH are doing. I’m sure it will look great when you are finished.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

We actually had a few snow flurries in Myrtle Beach today but you had to be in it to even notice. Nothing stuck, thank goodness. I went to the Moose to help with a Charity event and then to Steinmart because they were having a sale on sweaters. What did I buy? A swimsuit bottom and a swimsuit cover up. LOL Mine were just too big to wear any more, but my swimsuit tops still work. I did get one sweater, too. I was wearing one today that is way too big and looked pretty sad. It will get washed and go in the charity pile. Thirteen days until the cruise, but whose counting?? Oh yes, that would be me!! I hope you all stay safe and warm in this storm.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    y5ql5jalvprs.jpg

Chris in MA

nope
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Vaneslady
    Vaneslady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been overweight my whole life, had bariatric surgery 4 years and have gain back 60 pounds. I am 55 yrs old and just lost my dear friend to a massive heart attack. I do not want to follow in her foot steps. So I am hoping that I can get over the hump and get on with my life and lose my weight. I have gone thru most of the January's posts. I appreciate the inspirational advise and great tips.

Thank you for listening.
    Becky
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Chris Freitag's Slow Burn DVD. Not sure why it wasn't labeled Slow Burn. The plan for tomorrow is to do some time on our recumbant bike. I haven't done that in a while. Hope I remember how to use the bike.....lol

pip - hopefully, the MD will have better news for Kirby. I can hardly imagine how frustrated he must be

After exercising made an apple cake to take to Lynette for her birthday Tuesday. At least it's something Ken can eat. Then shoveled most of the driveway. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow so we'll probably do some more. Then made a chocolate brownie cake for her accountant group. Wasn't sure that the low fat brownie mix that I had would work, but it did. Went to church, now home to finish dinner.

kimses - even WE got snow. I didn't move to North Carolina to shovel snow!!!!! Guess we got about 5 inches (ok, you can stop laughing now). Feel better fast

katla - loved your animation, so you

Donna, speaking of boots. I have worn mine from PA about 2 or 3 times since we've moved down here. Well, I took them out of the back of the closet today, there were more cracks in them than there were before. Then....as I was shoveling the driveway, there was this funny feeling on the bottom of my boot, almost as if a piece of snow got stuck to it. So I looked down and the sole had come off!!

Bonnie - my dh is either watching either Fox network or right now he's glued to the Weather Channel.

DJ - yea for too big clothes

Becky - welcome

Michele in NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Michele, sorry about the snow. We've been wondering about hubby's sisters. One is in Winston-Salem and the other is in Henderson. I'm guessing Henderson got more, but we haven't heard from either one yet. The last big winter storm knocked out power in Henderson for a very long time. More than a week, I think it was.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: I'm happy to hear that Kirby can still ride. Speed is like icing on a cake. Perhaps in time he can have the icing too. One step at a time. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I was on the horse despite being sick earlier in the week. Color me happy. I had a relatively quiet lesson, but that is all that I could handle today and I'm grateful that I went. :bigsmile:

Chris: I just used a photo of the trike I found online. I think the railroad tracks give a good idea of scale. :flowerforyou:

Rori: I'm happy you posted. It is good to hear that things are going well. :smiley:

Becky: Welcome! :flowerforyou:

I've had a good day. We've heard from DS and DDIL, and also from DDIL's parents on the eastern side of the Mississippi. I haven't heard from DD, though. I hope things are okay for her. It is too late to call now but I'll call or text her in the morning. I enjoyed my riding lesson & hope to be more energetic next week. Tomorrow we hope to share a meal with DSIL, and our niece. We haven't seen her since her daughter's wedding shower last summer.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

So I did not take notes, but all the folks in the snow zone, stay in – keep warm – and use the snow as exercise, but don’t over due!!!

Had a good day here my garden club does a spring plant sale and one of the members has access to grape vines, they get trimmed this time of year so we made grape vine wreathes to sell – some plain and some decorated. About 20 members attended and with the exception of the car pool time it was fun. I ended up sitting in the car pool (1 hour each way) next to the queen of toxic, I disagreed with her about organic/non-gmo so her answer was to call me a Nazi – some of my mothers family was lost in the concentration camps – and I minced no words first defining Nazi and then telling her how inappropriate her comments were, she tried to interrupt me to tell me she was joking… I was not interruptible. What a doofus. She tried the rest of the day to be nice and I told her to just stay away. You never know what folks history is and in a group it seems to me it is fine to disagree, but not fine to be mean and hurtful.

I did come home and treat myself to a hot chocolate with bailys! Its in my calorie count so its ok.

Kim from N. California
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Vaneslady/ Becky~ You have come to the right place! I love all these ladies, and the support they give. It's unconditional. It's non-judgmental, and I have been known to vent, (which they let me do). You can throw ALL your emotional baggage to the sides of this page, just chuck it! I think the white part is self cleaning.....

Some great sayings you can feed your brain with:

Losing weight isn't the key to happiness, happiness is the key to losing weight!

The most important ingredient in food preparation is your MOOD!
    (yep every one of these sayings end in an exclamation point!!!!)

Eating is SUPPOSE to ruin your appetite!!! (love that one because it goes against ALL my mother said growing up)

I gain weight because my head makes food decisions that ignore what my body wants!
    (that one is a reality kick in the head one)

You are the primary source, your body is the living experience. Trust it, go with it!
    (that is one to give you a mental kick in the keester!)

So put some of these on your frig :-)

Glad you joined our little family of powerful women!
    Becca!!
    Ok I am exclamation point addicted!!
    *jamming it in my pocket*
    ok ok
    still in Oregon