WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

I have been reading, but not having any time to respond!

Kudos to those of you that are tracking their food, exercising, and getting in the activity!

Janet - I do love the pic of you and the beautiful weather!

Allison - So sorry to hear about Woody. Our little furry friends leave paw prints on our hearts. (((hugs)))

Lenora - You keep on flaunting that "near" goal weight! You deserve to flaunt it!

Welcome to the newbies!!

Donna in WV - thawing out from under the 18" of snow

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Beth, I do remember when your son lost his wheelchair van. So sorry it took this long but thank goodness he finally got one.

Janetr, are you trying to rub it in as to how beautiful the weather is there? Ok, I live in the deep south and I’m jealous! You’d better watch out or next year you may have a bunch of us visiting you there. How big is that RV? :D

Allie, if the house isn’t clean enough for your DD, I don’t suppose she could do a little cleaning? *just shakin’ my head* Soo so sorry about Woody. smiley-sad010.gif I’m still not over losing my Max a few months ago so I know how hard it is. ((((Hugs))))

Janetr, you said, “How easy it is to fall back into bad habits.” Oh how true that is!!! I will do good for a few days and something in my schedule will interrupt my routine and “Poof” out the window it goes. *sigh* I want so badly to start losing again and need to give myself a kick or two to get serious about it. I log daily and stay within my calories pretty much but the exercise is another story.

Heather, so glad your haggis party went well. Of course, I expected nothing less. Just really glad that you enjoyed it.

MicheleNC, you go girl on that plank. Wow. Not to even mention all the other exercise you do daily.

Shelia, welcome. You will find this a very supportive and informative group of women. Start this journey with baby steps and add to them. You might want to start by not taking any forbidden food/snacks into your room at night. If you must have something, get one or two and put the rest away. Whatever you eat, log it!!!

KJ, I have roasted many veggies that way but haven’t tried the chickpeas. Be sure to let us know how they turn out.

Sylvia, I hope you have a good throwing day. I do hope you will share what you make with some pictures.

CarolNC, omg just the thought of having that stitch removed makes me queasy. I’m just happy for you that it’s over.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Yesterday, Pepper Poodle went to the groomer and he looks so good. I wanted to take a picture to share with you but he won’t stand or sit still long enough to get a good one. I had an early appointment at the doctor’s office this morning to get blood drawn. I’m anxious to get the results next Monday. If my numbers are as good as they have been the past 6 months I will start only going every 6 months. I’ve had blood work done every 3 months for the past 8 years but that was because I was diabetic. This afternoon is line dancing. They have a “really beginner” class from 1:00 to 2:00 then the regular beginner class from 2:00 to 3:30. I’ve been going at 1:00 and staying until about 2:30 or 3:00 when I just got too tired. Today I’m not going until almost 2:00 and see if I can stay for most of the regular class. I finally feel that I can keep up with them without having to go to the novice class first. We will see.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    All of this is because Kyle(boyfriend)wants it that way...they want it move in ready when they get there..especially Tals room...
    Fit bit I will decide in a bit so you won't see my fitbit hooked up.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,724 Member
    Options
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    I have been absolutely exhausted this afternoon and felt I could do nothing. Had several tasks planned. :( Just crashed out for a nap. The virus is still filling my head. Good thing is I'm not as hungry as usual. I must be ill! :laugh:
    Some drawer dividers I ordered arrived yesterday and I wanted to sort those out. Haven't done anything. :'( No writing, no phoning. :sad: Just lying on the sofa. :ohwell:

Sea bass for dinner. Broccoli and some of yesterday's left over mashed root veggies. If I can find the energy to make it.

The good news is that I have arranged with my brother to call in on him when I go to Southampton on Thursday. He even said he would pick me up from the shopping centre. :D The department store doesn't seem to have a concession there, only in Oxford Street in London, but there is a separate shop in the same centre. I am looking forward to seeing my brother and family. He is panicking at having to cook for me! :laugh: I will get the train back and DH can pick me up from the train station.

Ouuuff! Aches and pains and hot flushes breaking out all over. :#

Love Heather UK
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Allison, my friend has a Garmin fit tracker that runs off a battery that doesn't have to be charged, like a watch battery. I don't know much else about it, but it might be worth looking into. My problem is that I am hooked with all the friends who have a Fitbit and trying to keep my spot on the leaderboard.
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivofit. It's nice that you don't have to charge it. I liked my Fit Bit better and used to wear it on my ankle even when swimming. It died once and they replaced it for free. Then it died again after 6 months so I thought I'd try the Garmin. It supposedly syncs with the iphone, but I doesn't do that very well at all. Fortunately it has a display. If I were to buy one again, I'd go back to the fit bit even though it has to be charged. It's smaller and syncs well with the iphone. I also liked that it vibrated when it hit the goal steps.

Kimses in MA
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! I went shopping this morning to pick up treats for the dog and see if I could find a couple new kettle bells.

Stronglifts Rest Day

Goblet squats-4X5X 30
    Kettle bell swing-11 X 10 X 25, 11 X7X 30

I scored on a 30 pound and 35 pound kettle bell! As you can see I used the 30 pound for the goblet squat and increased from three sets to 4 sets. Also, for half of the kettle bell swing I used the 30 pound kettle bell. I want to increase the added weight slowly. However, it felt easy not heavy like I thought it would.

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Crockpot is simmering away with a big pot of chili... and there is ice falling from the sky... not sure who ordered that. I'm about to go curl up with a book on the couch, cross my fingers that the electricity stays on, and possibly nap between chapters. Finally stopped the upward progress of the weight, lost a couple pounds of what I gained.

We're right there that little red X is... quite a bit more coming past us, as it's all moving from southwest to northeast.
    Lisa in icy West Texas:

pba1bnkpzv30.jpg
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am still very new at Community and Groups but this is by far my favorite Group. What a wonderful bunch of people from all over the world. I am having trouble keeping everyone straight. I should read all the postings with a pad of paper to take notes. I do not understand all the acronyms and, especially, all the abbreviations, yet. I looked on the MFP web site but it appears that there are numerous acronyms for things I do not even know in my "offline" life.
    I started on MFP over a year ago and then dropped it only to return in December. Since then, I have been diligent in logging everything I eat and it works.

I thought I would add the world's simplest cauliflower recipe. Serves 8 as a side dish or 4 as a main dish. (With apologies to the Canadians who are paying upwards of 8CAD). It's my own recipe so MFP does not have the calorie count. I just weigh the cauliflower and enter 1/8 or 1/4 cauliflower weight, 1/2 or 1/4 cup of yogurt and the equivalent of 1/4 or 1/2 egg to get the calories. I have bought local orange, yellow and broccoflower (green) cauliflower from nearby farms but find that the local white tastes really very good at half the price.

One large head of white cauliflower.
    Clean and break head into large florets
    Steam until medium tender. Take care not to overcook.
    In the meantime, add 1 beaten egg to 2 cups of nonfat Greek yogurt. Mix thoroughly.
    Add nutmeg and black pepper to make a tangy mixture to taste. I prefer grating my own peppercorns and nutmeg.
    Drain steamed cauliflower and add florets to yogurt mixture.
    Turn into UNBUTTERED ceramic or glass baking dish.
    Sprinkle 1/4 cup of finely crushed bread crumbs on the top and add a bit more pepper and nutmeg.
    Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes and finish under broiler setting taking care not to burn the top.
    Enjoy!

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Stumbling in exhausted just to say HI! :smiley: I haven't read anything since page 66 so please forgive me if anyone's had bad things happen and I sound insensitive for not commenting on them. I'll catch up with my reading eventually. I really miss you all! :'(

Eating and logging going fine, but I'm not getting the exercise I should.

Deadline for the mag I'm editing is on Monday so the work simply has to be finished by then. In the midst of it all, a job turned up that I'm going to apply for, despite not being entirely sure I want it. That application also has to be in by Monday. When it rains, it pours.
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Finally got computer to allow me on this site. I have my new fitness tracker hooked up to my phone. I'm more excited to see my sleep pattern right now, because my RA is doing pretty good this week. Lots of work still to do, so Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

I love my fitbit, it does need to be charged every few days, but usually I have 2 days a week of “paper work” on the computer so I just plug it in while I am doing the work and feel like I am multi-tasking. I sometimes had trouble getting it to sync with the computer, but with the app on the smart phone it is quick and easy.

Heather – glad the party went well! Take care of yourself, a lay around day may be just what you need.

Penny – we are hang in there without you take care and congrats on all the work.

Cssj09 – you are doing fine…. The cauliflower recipe sounds good. Do you have a name/nickname we can call you?

Sylvia – hope the “throwing day” turned out good.

Had lunch with you all, today was spinach feta pie… I love the ease of having something simple for lunch, then dinner can be more of an event.

Kim from N. California
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Since Kim mentioned the spinach feta pie, I have ask, is there an alternative to either of those ingredients or am I just stuck with never being able to make it? I don't like feta and I don't Ike cooked spinach. :disappointed: I'm not creative enough to come up with alternatives on my own.

Carol in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Still at work, tomorrow night going to dinner with the office and then to something called the adventure room..should be fun.. ;) plus we are getting out an hour and a half early and getting paid for that ...hey the Dr wants to pay?I'm there :D
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday, I am still a long way behind, but not giving up. Weigh in this morning was up .2 and much as I ate last week I am surprised it was not more. I am down from the first of the month so that is good. Had my 6 month blood work done this morning and my yearly UA, so looking forward to seeing those results. Just got a copy of my morning labs and my AC1 is 5.7, my total cholesterol is 155. So I am happy about that.

Janetr--Beautiful braclet and ring. He did good. Enjoy staying in the warm weather, it is to be close to 50 the next couple days and then cold and snow starting Sunday.

Heather--DGC are so cute, glad you had a good time.

Kimses--Sorry to hear about your job? Glad to hear it was not completely a surprise
    Linda-IA--My grand daughter was at Millard also. Her group got 4th. I had to work or would of been there
    Pip--Sending hugs for you and Kriby. I do pray things keep getting better. Positive mind set can do a lot. You both are not quitters and I believe that can make a big difference.

Becca--Thanks, I do feel better and the soup was sooooooo good.

Becky--Welcome, you have come to the right group for support and friendship. Important to remember we are not in this alone and One day at a time.

Mary--Sorry to hear about your toe, the rest of your story made me smile. He looks like he could be a handful one minute and a cuddle buddy the next.

Chris MA--Sending hugs. Important not to give up.

Sylvia--I love the fish tray.

Well I am up to the bottom of page 73. I had to spend time down in the insurance office getting most of DH and my meds switched over to mail order. I am not happy as I like having it local and can just pick them up, but they are threating not to pay if we don't change. There are a couple that I can still get local. I do not do change well. Still fighting this crud and want to just go home to bed. My cousin texted me this morning and told me my Aunt passed away this moring. So when they get the arrangements made will have to get covered at work. The funeral will be in the little town my mom grew up in and have the family cemeratry. Not sure why just feel bumped. This is on my mom's side. Well ladies stay safe and know that we are not in this alone. Love each of you and Thankful to have you in my life.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hi all, i weigh myself every 21days and i am clearly at a plateau. Not sure how to break the stalemate..the good news is i still log everything and at least the scale is not moving upwards!

Got to add that reading and posting is a rewarding experience for me. Having a tough time today and checking in here has been a positive thing, even if it is to read about the weather, or a nsv (non scale victory) or the comings and goings of everyone.

Karen from ny