Options
    tracymn925 wrote: »
    Lol Im seriously gagging right now.

Maybe chop it up a little first?

:neutral:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Yes, what you're referring to is also being used for people with certain digestive diseases like IBS, Chrons, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_bacteriotherapy

I've seen some studies showing that it is even more effective than certain antibiotics for C. difficile colitis.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The article makes it sound as if the diet you eat leads to the particular gut population you have. One example of this is how immediately going from low veg or low fiber diets to higher ones can lead to intestinal troubles, but once you adjust you are able to deal easily (if otherwise healthy). Same with other situations where humans initially have trouble with and then adapt to new foods (some discussed in Matt Fitzgerald's Diet Cults). Thus, for the average person who is obese and has been eating a poor diet, a fecal pill (ugh) seems like a short cut past the need to just change your diet and eat better. I wouldn't do it. I'd much rather do the work of fixing it through other means.

The exception would be if there was some internal problem leading to the issue or perhaps where one has killed off too many of them to repopulate through other means (as a side effect to extensive antibiotic use or some such, I suppose).
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The article makes it sound as if the diet you eat leads to the particular gut population you have. One example of this is how immediately going from low veg or low fiber diets to higher ones can lead to intestinal troubles, but once you adjust you are able to deal easily (if otherwise healthy). Same with other situations where humans initially have trouble with and then adapt to new foods (some discussed in Matt Fitzgerald's Diet Cults). Thus, for the average person who is obese and has been eating a poor diet, a fecal pill (ugh) seems like a short cut past the need to just change your diet and eat better. I wouldn't do it. I'd much rather do the work of fixing it through other means.

The exception would be if there was some internal problem leading to the issue or perhaps where one has killed off too many of them to repopulate through other means (as a side effect to extensive antibiotic use or some such, I suppose).

to be fair, it can also be done viacolonoscopy, endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, or enema. If the swallowing thing is the specific gross factor.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Wendy77685 wrote: »
    I keep coming across these articles about a new trend in eating other people's freeze dried poop in capsules for weight loss. They say the idea is that thin people have different bacteria in their gut than obese people, and therefore obese people could benefit from eating thin people's poop.

Is this for real???? Has anyone else ever heard of this? I can't imagine that anyone would want to do that, but I guess maybe people get desperate and will try anything?

it works, but is not effective as frozen urine capsules....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    n1826ijz7658.jpg

bahahahahahahaha
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

to be fair, it can also be done viacolonoscopy, endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, or enema. If the swallowing thing is the specific gross factor.

It just seems like a quick fix -- if someone has problems with their gut population due to a poor diet, then taking a pill to fix it seems like a bad way out (and likely to be a waste if the person kept eating the same way). I'd feel differently if the problems resulted from another cause.

Also, the whole thing seems disgusting to me, however it gets there, even though I understand it can be a legitimate therapeutic procedure and wouldn't let my squick factor govern in the case of illness (and the various other conditions you mentioned).
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

If necessary I could apply it as a suppository but not orally.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

It just seems like a quick fix -- if someone has problems with their gut population due to a poor diet, then taking a pill to fix it seems like a bad way out (and likely to be a waste if the person kept eating the same way). I'd feel differently if the problems resulted from another cause.

Also, the whole thing seems disgusting to me, however it gets there, even though I understand it can be a legitimate therapeutic procedure and wouldn't let my squick factor govern in the case of illness (and the various other conditions you mentioned).

But the world obviously needs quick fixes. The hard way only works if you are willing to put in the work. I think it should be pretty obvious that a whole lot of people are not. And really, what's wrong with a quick fix? We have quick fixes for many things that used require a lot of work. Welcome to the future. ;)

Interesting tidbit: I have a close relative with a special needs child that has had fecal transplants. I sent her this link and she said she already knew about it. She said her child's doctor told her about it and that they were looking at the same type of pill as an alternative to fecal transplants. Apparently many people refuse them because they don't like the current method of delivery. The hospital seems to think they'd be more receptive to swallowing the poo.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I would rather be fat.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it even if it dropped me to my goal weight in a second. But, I did hear studies about transplants in unhealthy colons from Joe Rogan. But, that's joe rogan
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    My guinea pigs ate each other's poop for health. I am not a guinea pig in the figurative or literal. I will leave the human trials to someone else, I plan to continue with the more palatable plan of eating less and moving more.
  • timetochange52
    timetochange52 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to see the infomercial on that one. The most exciting and innovative weight loss tool on the market -
    X-Crete! For the low low price of $19.99, but WAIT! If you order now, you will get double your order!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    oh... kay.... anyone who would do this needs to be institutionalized. I hate starving myself but eating crap is definitely 100 times worse!
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    My friend and I are discussing this between our tears of laughter...

What do your burps smell like??
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    My friend and I are discussing this between our tears of laughter...

What do your burps smell like??

Fish burps would be a blessing.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

But the world obviously needs quick fixes. The hard way only works if you are willing to put in the work. I think it should be pretty obvious that a whole lot of people are not. And really, what's wrong with a quick fix? We have quick fixes for many things that used require a lot of work. Welcome to the future. ;)

Oh, I'm definitely not saying it's totally rational, but I just disapprove so deeply of the quick fix mentality. (I don't approve of appetite suppressants either.) Either be willing to do what is required or admit you are choosing not to lose the weight.

I also think people can learn to adjust to this weird environment of easy/cheap calories. That we haven't yet when it's still relatively new doesn't mean we cannot. Beats having to eat more poo every year or two because you don't want to eat a sensible diet.