Eating poop for weight loss?!?!

Options

Replies

• jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    wow another great marketing idea....if it goes through they can have nut flavored, extra green, corn-filled, and runny....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQVbaTYGZXE start at 1:08

\m/
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Second harvest or gtfo
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    The article makes it sound as if the diet you eat leads to the particular gut population you have. One example of this is how immediately going from low veg or low fiber diets to higher ones can lead to intestinal troubles, but once you adjust you are able to deal easily (if otherwise healthy). Same with other situations where humans initially have trouble with and then adapt to new foods (some discussed in Matt Fitzgerald's Diet Cults). Thus, for the average person who is obese and has been eating a poor diet, a fecal pill (ugh) seems like a short cut past the need to just change your diet and eat better. I wouldn't do it. I'd much rather do the work of fixing it through other means.

The exception would be if there was some internal problem leading to the issue or perhaps where one has killed off too many of them to repopulate through other means (as a side effect to extensive antibiotic use or some such, I suppose).

to be fair, it can also be done viacolonoscopy, endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, or enema. If the swallowing thing is the specific gross factor.

It just seems like a quick fix -- if someone has problems with their gut population due to a poor diet, then taking a pill to fix it seems like a bad way out (and likely to be a waste if the person kept eating the same way). I'd feel differently if the problems resulted from another cause.

Also, the whole thing seems disgusting to me, however it gets there, even though I understand it can be a legitimate therapeutic procedure and wouldn't let my squick factor govern in the case of illness (and the various other conditions you mentioned).

But the world obviously needs quick fixes. The hard way only works if you are willing to put in the work. I think it should be pretty obvious that a whole lot of people are not. And really, what's wrong with a quick fix? We have quick fixes for many things that used require a lot of work. Welcome to the future. ;)

Oh, I'm definitely not saying it's totally rational, but I just disapprove so deeply of the quick fix mentality. (I don't approve of appetite suppressants either.) Either be willing to do what is required or admit you are choosing not to lose the weight.

Wow. No offense, but the people looking for quick fixes probably don't care if you approve. Nor should they.

It's not as if the it is a magic pill that will allow you lose weight while eating at a surplus. Sensible eating would still be required.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Too bad it's not vegan.

2umg605wrem4.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    and I was wondering what do with my excess poo....
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Too bad it's not vegan.

2umg605wrem4.jpg

YAYYYYYYYYY! <3<3<3
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    O.o
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    fitmumnz wrote: »
    sounds unusual... don't think I would be keen on eating someone elses poop lol

Um...I wouldn't even be interested in eating my own poop! I did see this floating around on facebook, but then again I see so...much...crap...on facebook.

Did you try and double flush?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    n1826ijz7658.jpg

This is what I think with some of the threads that pop up here.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Why, WHY would anyone want to take it orally?! Sometimes a suppository IS the lesser of the two evils.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    :#
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Too bad it's not vegan.

I guess that's an interesting point.

Is a poop pill from a vegan, ok for vegans to take?

Vegans seem to be against eating animals or animal products, but they aren't against babies drinking breast milk etc

So cow milk is a no no but human milk is ok. So is human poop ok also. No cute furry animals were harmed, caged, used, killed.

I guess poop pills would be similar to ice cream made from human breast milk, is that ok for vegans?
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I googled it, and this is just one of the articles I found talking about a new study to see if it would help with weight loss. It is different than what has been done for years with fecal transplants, this would be taking it orally in capsule form for weight loss. They haven't started the study yet, but it looks like you can still sign up! haha https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/should_you_eat_poop_to_lose_weight/

What is even crazier to me about this besides the fact that it even exists, is that this article has a place for you to sign up for the "trial." Ummm even if eating *kitten* were proven beyond a doubt to make me lose weight, that would still be a really hard pill for me to swallow (literally). Who in their right mind would sign up to be the guinea pig for this?!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Too bad it's not vegan.

Vegans seem to be against eating animals or animal products, but they aren't against babies drinking breast milk etc

So cow milk is a no no but human milk is ok. So is human poop ok also. No cute furry animals were harmed, caged, used, killed.

I guess poop pills would be similar to ice cream made from human breast milk, is that ok for vegans?

I assume that the human breast milk, is okay; for it's intended purpose & nothing more.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Too bad it's not vegan.

I assume that the human breast milk, is okay; for it's intended purpose & nothing more.

I thought the issue with cow milk for vegans other than being an animal, was that we cage them in, drug them up, take away their babies, take away any freedoms etc

That's not really what happens with a human making breast milk ice cream is it? Or poop pills?

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Fecal transplants are a real medical procedure performed for people who have serious GI problems to re-establish a healthy gut biome, but they're performed by doctors and via the more, uh, logical route for getting things in to the intestines, and don't involve eating poop.

This sounds like a very sketchy and gross scam playing of people's misunderstanding of research around the role of gut flora in health.

There are active research studies using a pill form. The research is currently in connection with c. diff treatment or treatment for IBD - and there have been reports of recipients of fecal transplants dramatically losing weight and becoming non-diabetic.

So - no, it isn't playing on a misunderstanding of research, although I'm not aware of active research into using it as treatment for diabetes or obesity.
  • VoiceWithNoValue
    VoiceWithNoValue Posts: 58 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Even if it's real, it won't be healthy for you. You can eat your own poop to only have a minor stomach problem, yes. But eating other's poop is the same as you asking to be hospitalized. The different bacteria will only causes problems to those who ate others' poop.

So, is it real? Perhaps, Japan made chips out of human poop before and marketed it.
    Is it healthy? No, absolutely not.

This isn't true actually. Well eating poo might cause stomach problems but I'm sure the idea is to get the poo past the stomach and into the lower gut. Fecal transplants are not an uncommon medical practice. This is the same concept, just a different route.
    Keyword: stomach
    I know about fecal transplant and how it helps some people. I'm talking about how bad it is to have poop in your stomach, not intestine. Honestly, I'd prefer fecal transplant over eating a pill of poop. Thinking about it touching my tongue is disgusting enough.

ETA: don't forget about how the pill will probably dissolve in the stomach because of the stomach acid.
  • neohdiver
    Options
    Why, WHY would anyone want to take it orally?! Sometimes a suppository IS the lesser of the two evils.

In order to have a fecal transplant, at this point, you have to find your own donor and do much of the work yourself. You have to hope that you just happen to have a friend or family member with the GI microbiome that will cure what ails you (c. diff, diabetes, UC, obesity, etc.)

With the pills the medical community has the opportunity to ensure a balanced microbiome that doesn't give you something else you don't want. (Some of the early trials treating c. diff actually "gave" people obesity - as well as "giving" other people a gut that helps them lose weight.)

I am one treatment away from needing a fecal transplant, and have no one in my family or friends I might ask with an appropriate gut microbiome. My daughter has had both c. diff and UC (so no good). My spouse has diabetes & a less than optimal gut functioning. My father has had c. diff. My mother has diabetes. That's about it on my (local) options - and, due to timing - the options have to be local.

So - I hope they do develop a pill in case my c. diff comes back (it took 5 rounds of antibiotics & 10 months before I got rid of it). I'd gladly eat pills filled with fecal bacteria if it cures c. diff.
  • neohdiver
    Options
    Even if it's real, it won't be healthy for you. You can eat your own poop to only have a minor stomach problem, yes. But eating other's poop is the same as you asking to be hospitalized. The different bacteria will only causes problems to those who ate others' poop.

Is it healthy? No, absolutely not.

Right, that's why places like the Cleveland Clinic and the Mayo Clinic are actively engaged in research on it . . .

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    n1826ijz7658.jpg

This is what I think with some of the threads that pop poop up here.
    fixed fir u.