Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Nicole saved me. The weather cleared up and she decided to drive us to the wedding. It was small, but very nice. I am so glad that we got to go. We went through a few snow squalls along the way, but the roads were clear. Don't know what I would do without my kids.
    I like the idea of a protein challenge. I know that I need more protein.
    Hope the rest of your weekend is great.
    Onward and Downward. Kaye
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Sunday Sharing: my digestive tract has decided that it doesn't like yogurt, especially not when paired with coffee and taken instead of breakfast. Failure to stay away from that combo results in major :sick: and absolutely no energy in the morning, so despite what I know about the so-called health benefits of yogurt, I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole this week to see what's going on. However, I will take a probiotic pill with dinner to, um, maintain my flora and fauna. I know that my breakfast replacement had some calories, which would theoretically tide me over until dinner, but it's not even close to the same rib-sticking effect as real food, not to mention how sick it makes me feel. It's confusing, but probably well worth all the testing I'm starting.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Laurie - many prayers for the 3 most important men in your life tonight. I've been praying for your dad for a long time. I'm sorry to hear things have changed this week. I'm learning that just having too much stress can cause that for me, cause my arthritic problems to really act up, and my classes are teaching me to identify my stress before it gets to hi. I feel so bad for your dad because he can't tell you,like, the noise in the hall is really getting to me or this one nurse, I really detest her care, or the feeding tube hurts, etc.
    Poor Matt, he's also got so much going on. What do the doctors say as far as that pulled muscle does it add serious danger or just prolong his healing? I started praying for him and will continue with this new information.
    I love that you have a Godfather and are close. I'll pray for his disease and comfort. And I'll pray for you and for YOUR STRESS LEVELS.

@Zoe - I detest yogurt too. I'm all for real food in the morning. Not a good time of day to "test" something your body isn't used to. Mayby your midday meal or snack would be a better time as your stomach has something in it, and you're prepared.

@Kaye = WOOT for Nicole! Glad your got to go to the wedding - I'm sure your appearance was a wonderful gift to the bride and groom and their parents! <3

SUNDAY SHARE: Haven't done this in a long time. Hi - I'm Ellen, from Omaha, NE, home of the College World Series and many other spendours!
    I'm 64, divorced, no kids, 2 brothers 1 sis living in town, 1 sis with 3 adult kids living far away.Speaking of that sister, She's planning to celebrate her 50th Wedding anniversary and they will renew their vows here in Omaha in July, as her kids and grands can all get here fairly easily. It should be a great time. Per the English, this is a Golden Jubilee Year and I just get giddy thinking about it. I hope she plans some extra time here as my sister here in Omaha and I want to throw her a little salon-style party and perhaps do some sort of other special event.
  • zcb94
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @RobinsEgg, I thought about that, too, but since I only endure yogurt at breakfast, it should be perfectly fine. Besides, I usually don't snack until the evening, if at all, so that's kinda out. Besides, I'm testing an elimination, and have already noticed that my body feels better for it.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    FEBRUARY PROTEIN CHALLENGE
    SET YOUR GOALS
    RECORD DAILY

All who post here are hereby notified of the February Challenge.
    There are no right or wrong ways to do this. Simply decide for yourself how you want to improve your
    Protein Intake and post your intent here.
    Then keep track of your protein using MFP or whatever device you choose
    and make note of your changes every time you post during the month of February, being aware we only have 28 days this month.
    If you are unable to get started on day 1, don't be alarmed, you have til the 4th to join the Challenge.
    There will be no awards given at the end.
    The award is your own satisfaction.
    I will rank who posted the most and in what order.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    @zoe thats a complete contradiction - you said you'd never eat yogurt again - I'm confused. But, I give up, you often seem to conradict people.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @robin-- sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday about the challenge, but looks like you guys worked it out. One little change for it though; there are 29 days in February b/c it's Leap Year!! :)

@kaye-- so glad you got to attend the wedding. :)

@laurie-- sorry to hear about your dad, godfather, and Matt. I hope you get good news about all 3 very soon. Enjoy the Garth Brooks concert.

@kelley-- yeah, so many schools of thought on protein needs. I agree that the best method is to figure out what works best by trial and error.

@niki-- I also have my protein set at 30%, but also rarely meet it. I also find the explanations confusing,s o I just go by what works for my body. I tend to feel fuller and consume less calories overall when I eat a minimum of about 100 grams/day. so that's going to be my goal for Feb. Oh, and I loved the chart you shared.

Sunday Share:
    I had a nice time at the gala for my colleague's son (he has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy). I didn't try to log the food, but I did a good job of choosing the healthier options of salad, chicken breast, and lean roast beef with just a taste of the farfalle in vodka sauce and one small dinner roll. I also had the tiniest piece of cake afterwards. After all of that careful choosing, my friends and I stopped at Wendy's drive-thru on the way home and ate burgers at midnight. Doh! LOL

Today was better, but not perfect by any means. We all slept at my friends' house and one of them is a chef, so he made us waffles for breakfast. They were delicious, but I really don't know the calorie count. I'm not going worry about it. Tomorrow is a new day and month.

Grading Goals:
    1. 16/22 object speeches
    2. 5/22 object speech reflections
    3. 25/60 Poetry analyses

Fitness Goals for the month of February:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week:
    Week 1 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 2 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks.
    I will run an 8k twice. x/2

Nutrition Goal for February:
    Eat >100 g protein x/29

You vs Year Challenge:
    35k done/ 965k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner + gym
    Tues-- walk gunner
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner + gym
    Sat-- walk gunner
    Sun-- walk gunner + gym

• zcb94
    Options
    RobinsEgg wrote: »
    @zoe thats a complete contradiction - you said you'd never eat yogurt again - I'm confused. But, I give up, you often seem to conradict people.
    Sorry, no. I'm not touching it with a ten-foot pole this week, but can definitely slowly reintroduce it and slow down on the coffee afterwards, to see what's got me sluggish in the mornings. I didn't mean to contradict or argue with anyone. Sorry!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Good last day of January everyone ... on the morrow we start February ... and since this is Leap Year, that month will give us one EXTRA DAY ... Whoop, Whoop, Whoop!

I know that all the folks born on February 29 will really enjoy celebrating their birthday on the true date rather than on the last day of the month (like my nephew-in-law).

Sunday Share ... I have spent the better part of this evening glued to my computer rather than lollying about on the sofa in front of the TV because I want to be ready for the new month. I wanted to have my head clear about how the past month has gone, statistically speaking, so I'll be ready to start the February Challenge and also be poised to have a fast start on bolstering the 'needy areas' in my ever on-going attempts to lose weight and get fit .... I just adore new beginnings.

Recently I have been learning by trial and error how to bake bread made on sourdough starter instead of commercial yeast and the one I baked this morning is the closest to success I have come thus far. However, alas, as I reviewed my numbers for the month I find a trend in overeating that, on the surface, appears linked to my bread baking activities. Thus, I might have to cut that new loaf into small slices and pack em in the freezer, and leave that pot of starter to rest in the fridge for the most of the next month (except for the weekly feeding it must have). I haven't given my starter a name yet but I've read many 'wild yeast' aficionados name theirs because it's a living organism ... that yeast! ... Maybe I'll call mine Harvey. I had a Cockatiel bird in the 1960's by that name, and he was a cheery fellow who wolf-whistled at me everytime I walked by his cage. He also whistled the tune to Captain Kangaroo's TV kid's show. Yes, I'll call my sourdough starter 'Harvey' and pretend that he is from San Francisco instead of the soup kitchen on Ideal Street in Buffalo NY.

@Laurie... keeping you and your 3 guys in my prayers tonight.

@Karen... The waffles might not have been too bad on their own, it's usually what we put on and around them. I think a typical 7" waffle is about 220 calories with 25 grams of carb. I only know because I had to do some checking when I baked my sourdough pancakes ... it's the same batter that I could have bakes waffles with and did a little checking up so I could record in MFP.

@Robin... I'm always surprised at how cheated I feel when someone's Golden Anniversary comes around ... guess in some ways I'm still holding on to the dissappointment of becoming a divorcee. It would have been my 52nd anniversary this spring.

Nuff said for one night .. g'night all

Follow-through with Consistent Focus
    Niki
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @niki-- thanks for the waffle info.

AFM-- I just realized that I have a blood donation appt tomorrow after school, so had to adjust my gym schedule for the week. :smile:

Grading Goals:
    1. 16/22 object speeches
    2. 5/22 object speech reflections
    3. 25/60 Poetry analyses

Week 1 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 2 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k

Eat >100 g protein x/29

You vs Year Challenge:
    35k done/ 965k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- rest day (donating blood)
    Tues-- walk gunner + gym
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
    Sun-- walk gunner
  • zcb94
    Options
    RobinsEgg wrote: »
    FEBRUARY PROTEIN CHALLENGE
    SET YOUR GOALS
    RECORD DAILY

All who post here are hereby notified of the February Challenge.
    There are no right or wrong ways to do this. Simply decide for yourself how you want to improve your
    Protein Intake and post your intent here.
    Then keep track of your protein using MFP or whatever device you choose
    and make note of your changes every time you post during the month of February, being aware we only have 28 days this month.
    If you are unable to get started on day 1, don't be alarmed, you have til the 4th to join the Challenge.
    There will be no awards given at the end.
    The award is your own satisfaction.
    I will rank who posted the most and in what order.
    That sounds amazing! I wouldn't mind posting my goal number each day, then whether I met it or not, and how I did it, then how I felt.
  • RobinsEgg
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Zoe - really, you've got it right, for what we want the Challenges to do for each individual. As there are no rewards other than personal growth! Kudos! <3 So, If you so as stated on a daily basis for a month you will have an excellent record to compare against for now and for the future, since this discussion is never erased, and the same is true for all you enter in you food logs as well.

Myself, I have lapsed so badly I am going to just start loggingmy food and each meal each day and see how my protein comes out against my MFP recommendations and work my hardest to bring it up to par by the end of the month, and bring my daily logging up to daily by the end of the month. So, if I achieve that, I am a winner.

@skinny = Karen - thanks for reminding me we have 29 days this month! I love Leap Years - they are so fun and such a gift to those born on the 29th.
    You mentioned the gala. Sounds immensely fun and its so typical - I'd do the same - peck at the food there- and then hit fast food late at night!!! Did you get to dance? I'd love to see a picture of you in your dress! You probably won't get to wear it for a long time, will you?

@Niki - banish those thoughts of that bygone anniversary maker. You still have all the other stuff. Hey I hereby INVITE MY FRIEND NEENA to come to OMAHA to be my plus-one for the ANNIVERsARY CELEBRATION JULY 2. more information to follow. o:)<3o:)

Happy to hear the sourdough has reached it apex and is good, so good you've had to shut it down. Sorry, you've had to shut Harvey down. That is ironic. Now that you've named him, your cutting him off :
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I have been following along silently for quite a while. I thought now, the beginning of a new month would be a good time to jump in again. Like Robin (Ellen) I really don't know where I stand on protein consumption. At first I thought I had that one up enough, but now I am not so sure, so will, as Ellen, challenge myself to track daily and figure the protein thing out and decide what needs to be done from there.

I looked up on another site (Calorie King) what the maintenance calorie amount is for someone my height and age etc. I was a little shocked as I thought it was higher...apparently age is a real factor as I used to get more calories. Ahhh, the joys of age! Obviously, I am not as active now either....I am also no where near maintenance weight.

I won't post personals as I don't want to offend anyone, and leave them out so will just not do it at all today. Just know I do know I follow with interest and concern the things in you lives as you have become my friends whether you know it or not.

Time to get busy. Monday is already getting away from me.

Thanks for being there.
    Barb
    MountMary84
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Monday check-in and January Report ... and February Goals ...

But first ... @Robin...I am not shutting Harvey down, (I love him!), I'm just not going to go steady with him anymore! He'll come out and be fed, and allowed to grow his flavors but his offspring will have to be monitored so as to not be born too quickly one after the other, cause their mama loves carbs a bit overwhelmingly. :)

January Report
    Calories within 100 of MFP goal days 24/31
    Exercise minutes for January 717 minutes (an average of 23 minutes a day)
    Weigh-in this morning : down only 1 pound for the month of January from my 1/1/16 weigh-in
    Macro % for January (averages) are:
    gross avg daily calories 1805
    " " " carb grams 211 46% (goal had been 45%)
    " " " fat grams 74 36% (goal had been 25%)
    " " " protein g 83 18% (goal had been 30%)

The 7 days where I was not within my range of calories were 7 days ... and they were real whoppers!
    I managed to eat 1.2 pounds worth of calories EXTRA ... no wonder I only lost less than a pound during the month ... I ate them back! Also, it appears the macro's I need to really work hard on are my fat and protein grams as both were well out of range of goal.

Without the overeats, my daily average calories would have been 1641 calories .. looking at it that way, I averaged an additional 164 calories a day ... too much! So for February, since the over eats kept me from losing as much weight as I need to keep to my plan, and my calories would have been 1641, I am going to use 1650 as my cut calories to lose weight, and I will eat back some my exercise calories so as not to fall below my BMR calorie goal (1620).

Thus ... For February my goals are:
    Calories within 100 of MFP goal of 1650 daily calories = #/29
    Carbohydrate goal 186 (45%)
    Fat goal 46 g (25%)
    Protein goal 124 g (30%) = #/29
    Exercise goal 45 minutes per day 5/7 days a week = #/7 week 1 , week 2, week 3, week 4

Looking forward to following through with Consistent Focus
    Niki
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've logged my breakfast. It was actually quite painless. I've really been dragging my feet about logging again, but the consequences are not pretty. For February, I'm going to log everything with special attention to the proteins.
    @Barb thanks for mentioning that other web site. I'm going to check it out.
    Onward and downward, Kaye
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Freedom Day!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    National Freedom Day is a United States observance on February 1 honoring the signing by Abraham Lincoln of a joint House and Senate resolution that later became the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. President Lincoln signed the Amendment outlawing slavery on February 1, 1865, although it was not ratified by the states until later.
    History
    Major Richard Robert Wright Sr., a former slave, believed that there should be a day when freedom for all Americans is celebrated. While living in Philadelphia towards the end of his life, he invited local and national leaders to meet to organize a movement for a national holiday to commemorate Lincoln's signing of the 13th Amendment. The resulting National Freedom Association proposed having a memorial date to call attention to the continuing struggle for freedom for African-Americans. Since President Lincoln had signed the 13th Amendment on the first day of February, that date was chosen to celebrate National Freedom Day.
    The first commemoration took place on February 1, 1942, at Independence Hall in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. As it has every year since, the remembrance included laying a wreath at the Liberty Bell.
    National Freedom Day's federal authorization is cited at Cornell University Law School's Legal Information Institute as 36 USC § 124:
    § 124. National Freedom Day
    The President may issue each year a proclamation designating February 1 as National Freedom Day to commemorate the signing by Abraham Lincoln on February 1, 1865, of the joint resolution adopted by the Senate and the House of Representatives that proposed the 13th amendment to the Constitution.[1]
    Richard Wright, a banker and educator, led the campaign to hold such a commemoration and led the first observance in 1942.
    On June 30, 1948, President Harry Truman signed a bill proclaiming February 1 as National Freedom Day. [2] It is not a federal holiday; government offices and banks are open for business.
    On this day many towns have festivals, while other citizens reflect on the freedoms that the United States honors and to appreciate the goodwill of the United States. Wreath-laying at the Liberty Bell has also been a tradition to mark National Freedom Day for many years. Symbols of the day may include a theme about freedom for all Americans.[2]
    According to americaslibrary.gov National Freedom Day is defined as:
    "[t]he purpose of this holiday is to promote good feelings, harmony, and equal opportunity among all citizens and to remember that the United States is a nation dedicated to the ideal of freedom.
    Major Richard Robert Wright Sr., a former slave, fought to have a day when freedom for all Americans is celebrated. When Wright got his freedom, he went on to become a successful businessman and community leader in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Major Wright chose February 1 as National Freedom Day because it was the day in 1865 that President Lincoln signed the 13th Amendment to the Constitution....
    The 13th Amendment outlawed slavery in the United States. Wright gathered national and local leaders together to write a bill declaring February 1 "National Freedom Day" and President Harry Truman signed the
    bill in 1948 making it official.

” No power in society, no hardship in your condition can depress you, keep you down, in knowledge, power, virtue, influence, but by your own consent.” ~William Ellery Channing, 1838

11857432.png

Tom
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @tom-- love the info on National Freedom Day! Thanks for sharing.

@kaye-- I also need to be more diligent about my logging. I log almost every day, but when it gets tricky, I tend to give up the task too easily. The consequence is that I'm no lighter today than on January 1st. :(

@niki-- You are so good at keeping track of those stats!

@barb-- I checked Calorie King to see how it compares to other calculators I've used. It's right in line with them, stating I would need to eat between 1800-2000 calories/day to maintain my current weight. It suggests 1300 to 1500 for me to lose weight, so I will keep this target in mind. I currently have my calories set at 1600, but when I burn a lot of calories, I could have days where I only eat back a portion of the exercise calories to come in at the lower goal of 1300 or 1400 net. Thanks for sharing!

@robin-- the gala really was a lot of fun, but we didn't do much dancing unfortunately. I love to dance, but we just couldn't seem to get the dance floor hopping. We did try though! I just looked and there are no pictures that really show my dress in full. It is a taupe brown cocktail dress, and I don't have any other dressy events coming up soon. However, my cousins daughter is getting married in October, so perhaps I'll wear it to her wedding.

Monday Check-in:
    As I mentioned to kaye above, I did not really lose any weight in January. Still hovering in the low 190s, but at least I stopped the upward trend of the scale. I only lowered my calorie goal for the last week or so of the month, so I'm going to continue to stick with it and increase my exercise to do a better job meeting my fitness goals. I'm confident the combination with result in a loss.

One of my colleagues is pregnant, and she brought some Loft frosted sugar cookies as part of her announcement to our department. I can usually resist non-chocolate treats, but those cookies are a definite weakness for me; I ate two. :blush: Fortunately, I had turkey burgers on the menu tonight, so I was able to meet my protein goal without adding too many calories at dinner.

Grading Goals:
    1. 17/22 object speeches
    2. 22/22 object speech reflections DONE
    3. 25/60 Poetry analyses

Eat >100 g protein 1/29

You vs Year Challenge:
    35k done/ 965k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- rest day (donating blood) WALKED GUNNER
    Tues-- walk gunner + gym
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
    Sun-- walk gunner
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Track Calories 1/29 Went over 174 calories due to a dumb sandwich for lunch.
    Protein target 1/29
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't know enough about what I'm doing yet to get in to the challenge, so I'll keep plugging along over here in the corner.

Was glad to see the question about eating back the exercise calories. I've heard arguments on both sides. At the moment, I'm so focused on keeping carbs down and getting more veggies into my meals that I rarely go over my 1400 mark in calories. I'm not starving - it's just that I see the deficit at the end of the day and can't think of anything I want to eat that would fit the plan, so I go to bed. I imagine that will catch up to me sooner or later and I'll need to plan ahead better. For now, I'll leave those calories on the table.

I did manage one good decision this afternoon during the dreaded 3pm slump - I bought new workout clothes instead of a doughnut when I was out running errands. I live in a family where everything is celebrated with food, so this is a BIG step.
  • sehar_ali
    sehar_ali Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    need motivation add me