Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    2-1-16 Protein Challenge
    Wanted-40 grams (will confirm this with my dietician ASAP)
    Got-77 Grams
    Comments: Yes, I am technically over my goal. However, I'm trying to heal a wound, which needs extra protein to rebuild the flesh. I also slightly overshot my calorie limit, but, again, could use the extra energy to rebuild, and will be delighted to resume worrying about weight loss later. Overall, I feel strong!

Monday Check-In: in addition to the above, I'm really sore from a complex physical/seating assessment to get a new wheelchair that hopefully won't rip my tooshie to shreds. Yay, but OWWW!
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Groundhog Day!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Groundhog Day (Canadian French: Jour de la Marmotte; Pennsylvania German: Grundsaudaag, Murmeltiertag) is a traditional holiday celebrated on February 2. According to folklore, if it is cloudy when a groundhog emerges from its den in the tree on this day, then the spring season will come early; if it is sunny, the groundhog will supposedly see its shadow and retreat back into its den, and winter weather will persist for six more weeks.[1]
    Modern customs of the holiday involve celebrations where early morning festivals are held to watch the groundhog emerging from its burrow.
    In Pawtucket, Rhode Island, Groundhog Lodges (Grundsow Lodges) celebrate the holiday with fersommlinge,[2] social events in which food is served, speeches are made, and one or more g'spiel (plays or skits) are performed for entertainment. The Pennsylvania German dialect is the only language spoken at the event, and those who speak English pay a penalty, usually in the form of a nickel, dime, or quarter per word spoken, with the money put into a bowl in the center of the table.[3]
    Groundhog Day was adopted in the U.S. in 1887. Colby Camps was the editor of the local paper Punxsutawney Spirit at the time, and he began promoting the town’s groundhog as the official “Groundhog Day meteorologist.”[4]
    The largest Groundhog Day celebration is held in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, with Punxsutawney Phil. Groundhog Day, already a widely recognized and popular tradition,[5] received widespread attention as a result of the 1993 film Groundhog Day.[6]

” A person will sometimes devote all his life to the development of one part of his body — the wishbone.” ~Robert Frost

11857432.png

Tom
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I love Februarys challenge since it speaks to something I have been trying to get better anyway. The trainer wanted me at 125 grams of protien a day which I have never reached but would like to really consistently hit 100. Yesterday was a big bust calorie wise with going out to dinner for my sons 22 birthday but did get close to the protien goal. We went to a new place for our area called the blazing onion. Have to say I was super underwhelmed. I might give it one more chance but the overall experience last night was just sad. Not sure what they are going for but my experience was upscale fast food and the prices are way to high for that. Then I had to send my burger back because it was so cold the mozzerella cheese was was still perfectly shaped with absolutley no melt. Once the food was hot it was good but nothing I couldnt have got at red robins and they have much better service. Well I am off for the next week or so since the suppliers for the jobsite are way behind so this week is focus on the garage and the house and maybe some yard work between showers.

@laurie I hope that the men in your life start to improve. Have fun at the consert. I am super jealous.
    @kah I am completley with you about driving any distanes in the winter. The weather just alwasy seems to iffy.
    @grandmakaye I am so happy you got to go to the wedding. You must have done something right raising those kids :)
    @Robin I remember the shock I had when I started wearing my fit bit. I would walk somewhere thinking It was so far and then check my step count and be like what the heck. With that said every step counts so good for you going for it to get them in :)
    @skinny I am right there with you. Cant seem to get any downword traction on this weight loss thing. I just keep bouncing up and down. I want to say why oh why but I know its all this out of control eating. I finally changed my weight to reflect the high end of this bounce hoping if I get to record numbers goiung down it will help motivate me. I know if I work hard on meeting this protien goal that will help too.

I did have a fun weekend. My sil came over saturday night and we were the only ones here and had a much overdue girls night. We had a few beers and talked, jumped on the trampoline, and played with my daughters karaoke machine. I have no singing voice at all but love to do it. We sang so long and so hard that by the time she left I had almost literally lost my voice. It was a great night :):)
    Well I hope ya'll have a great day. I got to get ready and get out there to walk the dogs.

Protien goal 100 grams
    2/1: 90
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Well, I give UP! no - I don't, just feel like it though. I was so on track with my food plan yesterday ... ate half my calories between lunch and dinner, had protein at each meal, had a satisfying home cooked dinner, and even had room for a snack in the evening. Had wonderful blood sugar reading this morning ... everything just great ... except I missed all my macro settings in a big way from what I so carefully and statistically input yesterday.

My calories yesterday, were spot on ... so 1/29 for that goal
    My exercise was off by 10 minutes ... so 0/7 for that goal
    My protein was way, way off as the goal was 124 g and I only got 93 in ... so 0/29 for that challenge goal!

So I decided that I must have set something too high ... and did a lot of new reading this morning ... and got more frustrated and confused as I went on ... and, in a way, I did give up. I decided to let MFP set my goals for me instead of trying to do it myself. So I went to my goals settings and let MFP determine what I should have to get that 1 pound a week loss I so much need to establish and maintain to meet my weight loss goal for this year ...

And thus, On Tuesday Goals day, I am restating my February goals here and now ...

Calories between 1440 and 1640 with 1540 being spot on
    Protein @20% ... 77 grams
    Activity calories burn a week ...1370

On a more calm and positive note ... I did read one interesting article that resulted from a study presented at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium where British researches found that woman who eliminated carbohydrate-rich foods like, bread, potatoes, and rice just 2 days a week and ate their normal diets the rest of the time lost an average of 9 pounds over 4 months as compared to women in a similar grou who ate a 1,500-calorie-per-day diet following the Mediterranean-style for the same period, who lost only 5 pounds. The study also noted that insulin resistance was improved in those participants. The take-away is that I am going to attempt that as part of my goals ... will not report on that except at the end of the month.

Now I feel better ... but know that I will likely feel hungrier this month that I have in the past. :)
    Follow-through with Consistent Focus
    Niki
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Well, I give UP! no - I don't, just feel like it though. I was so on track with my food plan yesterday ... ate half my calories between lunch and dinner, had protein at each meal, had a satisfying home cooked dinner, and even had room for a snack in the evening. Had wonderful blood sugar reading this morning ... everything just great ... except I missed all my macro settings in a big way from what I so carefully and statistically input yesterday.

My calories yesterday, were spot on ... so 1/29 for that goal
    My exercise was off by 10 minutes ... so 0/7 for that goal
    My protein was way, way off as the goal was 124 g and I only got 93 in ... so 0/29 for that challenge goal!

So I decided that I must have set something too high ... and did a lot of new reading this morning ... and got more frustrated and confused as I went on ... and, in a way, I did give up. I decided to let MFP set my goals for me instead of trying to do it myself. So I went to my goals settings and let MFP determine what I should have to get that 1 pound a week loss I so much need to establish and maintain to meet my weight loss goal for this year ...

And thus, On Tuesday Goals day, I am restating my February goals here and now ...

Calories between 1440 and 1640 with 1540 being spot on
    Protein @20% ... 77 grams
    Activity calories burn a week ...1370

On a more calm and positive note ... I did read one interesting article that resulted from a study presented at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium where British researches found that woman who eliminated carbohydrate-rich foods like, bread, potatoes, and rice just 2 days a week and ate their normal diets the rest of the time lost an average of 9 pounds over 4 months as compared to women in a similar grou who ate a 1,500-calorie-per-day diet following the Mediterranean-style for the same period, who lost only 5 pounds. The study also noted that insulin resistance was improved in those participants. The take-away is that I am going to attempt that as part of my goals ... will not report on that except at the end of the month.

Now I feel better ... but know that I will likely feel hungrier this month that I have in the past. :)
    Follow-through with Consistent Focus
    Niki

From experience, and I think others can attest, MFP has the carbs macro goal rather high at 50-or 55% (if I remember correctly). For me, anyway, its too high for weight loss. Why don't you use MFP suggestion for a caloric goal but change up your macros to 30% protein, 30% fat, and 40% carbs and see how that works out? I promise, if you eat a bit more protein and choose healthier fats (i.e. coconut oil, avocado, nuts, etc) you will not feel hungrier than usual. I don't eat a lot of bread, maybe once a day (and its usually flourless)--most of my carbs come from fruit & veggies.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    kah68 wrote: »

From experience, and I think others can attest, MFP has the carbs macro goal rather high at 50-or 55% (if I remember correctly). For me, anyway, its too high for weight loss. Why don't you use MFP suggestion for a caloric goal but change up your macros to 30% protein, 30% fat, and 40% carbs and see how that works out? I promise, if you eat a bit more protein and choose healthier fats (i.e. coconut oil, avocado, nuts, etc) you will not feel hungrier than usual. I don't eat a lot of bread, maybe once a day (and its usually flourless)--most of my carbs come from fruit & veggies.

That's what got me discouraged from my meal yesterday ... I had very healthy food throughout the day, and my carbs were under goal, it was the fats and protein that were so out of whack!

I had my macros at what you suggest during January and became so discouraged when my stats showed I was way over on fat and way under on protein based on those percentages ... and my choices of fats are always on the healthy side and usually come from the food I eat rather that what I put on the food in the way of fat.

Yesterday, for example my protein and fats were so completely off whack that I felt completely deflated. What I had for added fat were 2 teaspoons of extra-virgin olive oil in my lunchtime salad dressing. All the rest came from the foods I ate ... 8 oz 2% milk, 1 ounce of walnuts, 1 ounce of lower-fat cheddar cheese, 2 oz water packed tuna, 4 ounces of roast pork, 1 1/2 ounce of 33% cream cheese ... that's it!

However, most foods have a tiny bit of fat in them and many have smidgens of protein even if they are not categorically fat or protein foods ... and I think that is what makes the fat tabulate so heavy all the time. I didn't really realize this fact until today when I did reports on my macro's in MFP. It listed the foods I ate that made up the macro from lowest to highest for the period in question ... and that's when I realized how it all really adds up from almost any food you eat.

I almost feel like chucking the whole MFP food logging and go back to portion counting of foods instead. Almost, not quite~ :)

Thanks for advice however ... you always have good ones to give, I appreciate that so much. I'm going to just try to stick with whatever it is now that I reset it again and see what happens during the next 4 weeks.
    Niki
  • zcb94
    Options
    Tuesday Goal: get rid of the sore torso muscles that I developed yesterday. If I can feel it, it Hurts. Very. Badly! :cry: :sad: :scream:

I'l be right back with my protein intake stats.
  • margaret9282016
    margaret9282016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join this discussion. In it for the long haul, 100+ to lose, and look forward to making some friends to support each other :)
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Yesterday my efforts to log everything got derailed when the computer couldn't hook up to MFP in the evening. Today I logged everything. I am right on point with calories and only a little under on protein. No room for a snack this evening, but I will survive.
    I am having issues with my sciatica. Chiropractor told me to lay off the exercise while he sees what he can do for the pain. It just started yesterday, but it's pretty intense.
    I'm glad we are doing the challenge. It has prompted me to get going on the logging again.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • zcb94
    Options
    2-2-16 Protein Challenge:
    Wanted 40 grams
    Got 31 grams (oops)
    Comments: now I'm under, ARGH! Sadly, I'm full of dinner, so might as well let it slide so I can average out over the month.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @kaye & zoe-- sorry you are in pain. Hope it subsides quickly.

@margaret-- welcome to the thread! Just jump right in and you will make friends. I've been here since 2011 and have made many friends, a few I've had the pleasure of meeting in person.

@niki-- I hope your macro re-set works out for you. :smile:

@tammy-- sounds like a fun weekend!

@celtik-- don't worry about joining the protein challenge; you are right to go at a pace that works for you. Focusing on too many changes at once can lead to frustration.

AFM-- Had a good day protein-wise and will be under calorie for the second day in a row. More importantly, I got my butt to the gym and had my first run of the month. It was slow due to donating blood yesterday (it takes about 48 hrs for blood oxygen to get back to normal), but I did a bit over 2 miles; better than nothing. :)

No walk for gunner today as we had some heavy thunderstorms. However, nothing compared to the scary blizzard and tornado conditions to the south and west of us. Hope any of you in the midst of those storms are safe and sound.

Tuesday Goals:
    I need to finish the grading tomorrow before I collect AP journals on Thursday.

Grading Goals:
    1. 17/22 object speeches
    2. 27/60 Poetry analyses

Fitness Goals for the month of February:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week:
    Week 1 = 1/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 2 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks.
    I will run an 8k twice. x/2

Nutrition Goal for February:
    Eat >100 g protein 2/29

You vs Year Challenge:
    39k done/ 961k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- rest day (donating blood) WALKED GUNNER
    Tues-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
    Sun-- walk gunner
  • stephc002
    stephc002 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Finally checking in after 3 days away. The last 2 days have been pretty rough, and it's taken all I have in me to get back with the program today...had to see a neurologist yesterday because of some recent health problems, and I have some definite weakness in my left side (along withe several other sCary symptoms). Doing an MRI next week to rule out stroke and MS. Hoping it's just a pinched nerve somewhere and can be helped with physical therapy or something, but right now I am scared to death and my anxiety is at an all-time high. Feel like I am just completely wrung out, but I am determine to get back to the Y tomorrow and into the pool. It always makes me feel so.much better.

Going to work on this challenge for Feb. According to my 30/30/40 custom macros I should be eating 140 grams of protein a day. I am barely getting to 75 (and less) most days, so for this week, 80 is my goal. I am going to try and up it by 10 a week to be closer to my ultimate goal by end of the month. Had 75 today, and 64 yesterday. Going to be 80 tomorrow!
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy The Day the Music Died!
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    On February 3, 1959, rock and roll musicians Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J. P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson were killed in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa, together with the pilot, Roger Peterson. The event later became known as "The Day the Music Died", after singer-songwriter Don McLean so referred to it in his song "American Pie".
    At the time, Holly and his band, consisting of Waylon Jennings, Tommy Allsup, and Carl Bunch, were playing on the "Winter Dance Party" tour across the Midwest. Rising artists Valens and Richardson had joined the tour as well.
    The long journeys between venues on board the cold, uncomfortable tour buses adversely affected the performers, with cases of flu and even frostbite. After stopping at Clear Lake to perform, and frustrated by such conditions, Holly fatefully decided to charter a plane to reach their next venue in Moorhead, Minnesota. Richardson, who had flu, swapped places with Jennings, taking the latter's seat on the plane, while Allsup lost his seat to Valens on a coin toss.
    Soon after take-off, late at night and in poor, wintry weather conditions, the pilot lost control of the light aircraft, a Beechcraft Bonanza, which subsequently crashed into a cornfield, leaving no survivors.

This article is about the plane crash. For other uses, see The Day the Music died

The memorial marking the crash site, 2003
    Accident summary
    Date February 3, 1959

xg6g1ijmlobk.jpg

Summary Spatial disorientation, pilot not qualified to fly in IMC conditions.
    Site Near Clear Lake, Iowa, United States
    43°13′13.3″N 93°22′53.1″W43.220361°N 93.381417°WCoordinates: 43°13′13.3″N 93°22′53.1″W43.220361°N 93.381417°W

Passengers 3
    Crew 1
    Fatalities 4 (all)
    Aircraft type Beechcraft Bonanza
    Operator Dwyer Flying Service, Mason City, Iowa
    Registration
    N3794N
    Flight origin Mason City Municipal Airport
    Destination Hector Airport (Fargo, North Dakota)

” Life goes faster on protein.” ~Martin H. Fischer

11857432.png

Tom
  • zcb94
    Options
    Wednesday Wishing:
    I really want all this pain to go the heck away, already! I also hope I do better in the Protein challenge that we're doing, and that a couple of meetings that we have later go smoothly.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Lets see Wednesday wish that I click with the new trainer today. I still have 12 sessions I payed for and after taking a bit more then a month off due to car issues while hubby was working at shipyard I went back to get going again and found out my trainer was no longer there and no one had bothered to let me know. Very unproffesional but I like the gym overall so I will give the new trainer a try. As it is I was going to be done with the training anyway once I got done with all that I had prepaid for. Well yesterday was going great food wise and then in the evening I got caught up in a new book and end up snacking myself a couple hundred over goal while reading. Kinda frustrated with myself about that. I wasnt even really hungry I just like to snack when I am reading. Got to work on breaking that habit. I did make a really good chicken salad for lunch that I ate with cucumber slices instead of bread. I made it like I always do and I was going to put away the mustard and saw the jar of spicy pickled garlic. I thinly sliced a couple cloves and added it and it put it right over the top. Yum Yum.

@grandmakaye hope you get feeling better. Chiropractors can be a godsend
    @zcb94 Good luck on your meetings. Hope you get feeling better as well
    @skinny you are doing so well staying on top of your grading this year. Great job getting to the gym
    @Tom as always love the little articles you find for us every day. Hope you aand the wife are doing well

Well I need to get moving and try and walk the rain gets here. Have a great day everyone :):)

Protien Challenge:
    2/2: 119/100
  • hayleymc3
    hayleymc3 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My Wednesday wish - hoping to find more active friends! I have been a member of MFP for a long time, but haven't used it seriously in many years now. I am currently 305, started at 312, and have a long way to go. Add me if you're looking for friends!
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Wednesday wish. I wish that I had looked at the menus on-line before DH and I ate lunch at Carl's Jr. He had a dr. appt. out of town so we grabbed a sandwich. I went for the turkey lettuce wrap and that wasn't bad, but the small fries are a killer. I'll have to cut those out!
    Hope everyong is having a good day.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • desireetoliver
    desireetoliver Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I just started my journey today, looking for activities I can do with a 4 month old. Hoping to lose 120 lbs
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Well jeeze ... I posted this morning and it's not here ... MFP or my Safari acting up? so ....

Wednesday Wish ... that my nephew Tom had a wonderful 18th birthday today and enjoys his special dinner ... I hear he requested Tacos and some of that special local ice cream from Perry's Ice Cream named Buffalo that's all the rage here just now.

Protein is 1/29 as yesterday was right on with 20% being my goal.
    Calories are 2/29 for being on track
    Exercise is about at 45% completed for the week

@Tom... I remember that day the music died. Still love the music they played to this day.

Welcome to the new posters, I hope you come back to post on here and become a part of the gang that likes to hang out here to support one another in this virtual world. Bookmark the page so you can find us again next time. Most of us use this thread to keep in touch instead of our home pages.

Follow-Through with Consistent Focus
    Niki
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Wish- that my dad gets better. Evidently he is dealing with congestive heart failure.