Obsessive/Unhealthy Dieting Relationship

Options

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Based on your posting history, I think you should seek professional help.

Time and time again the users of MFP have given you great advice only to be ignored and tossed to the side. Since you really don't want to listen to what we have to say, I can only hope you'll listen to a professional. You've been at this for years (and under other accounts) and you still are not getting anywhere. You're still talking about the same things as all of the other times and still making alot of excuses. There comes a point where if you can't do it on your own it's time to find help.

And other sites. When I first started using MFP again back in 2013 I remembered OP from her username/picture on WW having the same problems and using the same excuses.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

Time and time again the users of MFP have given you great advice only to be ignored and tossed to the side. Since you really don't want to listen to what we have to say, I can only hope you'll listen to a professional. You've been at this for years (and under other accounts) and you still are not getting anywhere. You're still talking about the same things as all of the other times and still making alot of excuses. There comes a point where if you can't do it on your own it's time to find help.

And other sites. When I first started using MFP again back in 2013 I remembered OP from her username/picture on WW having the same problems and using the same excuses.

Yep. Me too.

ftsolk wrote: »
    I have the Beck Diet solution- both in paperback and on Audible. I must say, I'm not a fan. There's just something about the attitude I perceive that rubs me the wrong way. She seems condescending. Keeping index cards with reasons I want to lose weight on hand? I'm trying to get AWAY from obsessiveness.

I know that not all of the exercises will be for everyone, as I indicated earlier. But, condescending? No. I mean, unless you equate "condescending" with "telling you things you probably don't want to hear".
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    OP, I think it's very normal to be very "all or nothing" with this. Just look at how many people here weigh every item they ingest to the gram, and have for months or years.

I don't think weighing/logging your food is an example of all or nothing thinking.

But avoiding social occasions/going to restaurants because you can't weigh your portions and don't know EXACTLY what's in the dish is an example of such thinking.

I would wager that the people here who have been most successful do the former, but not the latter.

I said "weighing every item they ingest to the gram for months or years."

Well, either you're weighing your food properly or you're not. Doing so properly doesn't make you obsessed. It makes you accurate - something which becomes increasingly important the closer you get to your goal weight.

I know this from having lost over 75 lbs and now being close to goal. :)

There is no one official, proper way to estimate your intake (despite some strong opinions here). And it IS all estimates. I lost 50 lbs. to goal weighing no foods. Many, many people don't weigh any foods and lose weight. One's success doesn't mean their way is the only way. Or the right way.

I didn't click with Beck, either, and I tried that book several times. I feel like she does feel too obsessive for me. It's a popular one, though.
  • ftsolk
    ftsolk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've tried OA many times. I don't see the point. Granted, I only tried the online meetings because they seemed less intimidating. You aren't allowed to use full sentences (at least in the meetings I've been to), and there's never any feedback given. I feel like it's a bunch of robots echoing each other: "tyfs" "relates" "hugs". I'll give it another go around though.

Switching to FtSoLK from HoneyLissaBee was never about an identity change. I developed FtSoLK (From the Scales of Lissa Kristine) years ago as a branch off of my blog "From the Mind of Lissa Kristine." FtSoLK became my online persona for dieting/weight loss. I created a Twitter and Instagram account under those names, and eventually decided to change my usernames on here, Weight Watchers, and Sparkpeople as well. That way, I can be identified across the board.

When it comes down to it, I do great when I cook everything for myself and have complete control over the food I am being served, but it gets to be too much after a while. My friends have no problem with me weighing/measuring my food. They are the most supportive friends I've known. If we go out to eat, my opinion is heard (unlike with a previous group of friends). If they offer me dessert and I refuse, they aren't offended. They don't push it. They're really great people. They're the kind of friends who I can text if I'm at the store with Ben and Jerry calling out to me. My ex-best friend and I used to push each other into multiple high-calorie meals out a week (complete with dessert). Now, I do spend time with friends who order pizza with whole wheat crust, keep rice on the side, or add butternut squash into stews/soups to thicken it. I go to Birthday parties where dessert cupcakes are made with coconut and almond flour and less sugar (no artificial sweeteners). If my friend offers to cook breakfast in exchange for an hour of babysitting, she'll ask me what I can/will eat.

I'm just tired of feeling out of control if I can't cook, weigh, and measure my food AND even trying to do something less daunting like writing down what I eat without worrying about measurements/numbers is STILL stressing me out.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yoga may be your best friend
  • ftsolk
    Options
    I'm not sure how stretching will help, but I'll try stretching more. I can't get into the meditation aspect of yoga because that aspect of taking a yoga class conflicts with my religious beliefs.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Yoga is universal
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm not sure how stretching will help, but I'll try stretching more. I can't get into the meditation aspect of yoga because that aspect of taking a yoga class conflicts with my religious beliefs.

This is really interesting to me. I was in Thailand learning about meditation over the summer. Although it was at a Buddhist temple, Buddhism wasn't a big part of the teachings. Mindfulness was a big part of the teachings though. It's interesting that your religion forbids meditation, but mindfulness is acceptable (I'm guess, because you said that you were reading about mindful eating). I'm not questioning what you are saying, just stating that from my experiences, I find this fascinating.

ETA: as for yoga, you don't really need to do any meditation with it. I think the suggestion was more to help with your stress and anxiety levels.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I've tried OA many times. I don't see the point. Granted, I only tried the online meetings because they seemed less intimidating. You aren't allowed to use full sentences (at least in the meetings I've been to), and there's never any feedback given. I feel like it's a bunch of robots echoing each other: "tyfs" "relates" "hugs". I'll give it another go around though.

I'm just tired of feeling out of control if I can't cook, weigh, and measure my food AND even trying to do something less daunting like writing down what I eat without worrying about measurements/numbers is STILL stressing me out.

And this is why you need professional help.
  • ftsolk
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

This is really interesting to me. I was in Thailand learning about meditation over the summer. Although it was at a Buddhist temple, Buddhism wasn't a big part of the teachings. Mindfulness was a big part of the teachings though. It's interesting that your religion forbids meditation, but mindfulness is acceptable (I'm guess, because you said that you were reading about mindful eating). I'm not questioning what you are saying, just stating that from my experiences, I find this fascinating.

Well, the hospitalization I obviously need isn't in the budget right now.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Yoga is universal!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone suggested hospitalization, just that you could use more help than what we can offer here.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    So, to review:

Seeking professional help--No.
    Beck Diet Solution--Didn't like it.
    Setting small goals--Didn't work.
    Overeaters Anonymous--Didn't see the point.
    Yoga--Won't help, and is contradictory to religious beliefs.

OP, hopefully there is someone out there, somewhere in the world, who has the magical answer you're looking for. I'm just not sure that the mere mortals on MFP are up to the task.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

+1
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

I didn't mention hospitalization? There's alot of out-patient resources out there. You should visit the link I provided you earlier.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    So, to review:

Seeking professional help--No.
    Beck Diet Solution--Didn't like it.
    Setting small goals--Didn't work.
    Overeaters Anonymous--Didn't see the point.
    Yoga--Won't help, and is contradictory to religious beliefs.

OP, hopefully there is someone out there, somewhere in the world, who has the magical answer you're looking for. I'm just not sure that the mere mortals on MFP are up to the task.

+1 on this.

• makaryan11
    makaryan11 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think obsession burnt you out, and if you continue that way there is a good chance that maintaining your goal weight might be impossible in the future.whenever you have to eat somewhere other than your home, something other than your cooked meal, just relax, take small portions and eat slowly, try to enjoy your time and meal with family and friends and then try to log it, for example. After counting calories for a while I can pretty much estimate the size of a portion and log it at the best of my ability , and even if I go over my calories for a little bit for the day and the worst scenario eat at maintenance, do you think that it will be terrible disaster ?
  • ftsolk
    Options

I didn't mention hospitalization? There's alot of out-patient resources out there. You should visit the link I provided you earlier.

I did. I took the online screening and I'm not at risk for disordered eating. I don't have anorexia or bulimia, and I don't go on traditional binges.

I've tried little things like intermittent fasting, but even on the rare occasions that I was able to combine it with sticking to a calorie goal, I gained weight in the process. Plus, my schedule doesn't allow me to eat meals at the same time every day. Some days, lunch is at noon. Other days, it's closer to 4pm, and that's not likely to change anytime soon.
  • chimpy123
    chimpy123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how stretching will help, but I'll try stretching more..

Yoga isn't just stretching lol - go do chair pose for 1 min and tell me its just stretching

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes, but, yes, but, yes, but, yes, but, yes, but, yes, but, yes, but

ALL%20THE%20EXCUSES_zpsa3to3jho.jpg~original