WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I’m hoping that I will be able to get near to my pre-pregnancy weight; but, I doubt I’ll do that. At my age, I figure that I’d look too ‘gaunt’. People/friends thought that my weighing 144lbs was just a little too much; and, looked better at 150lbs. I am so near my goal … I am so excited. I will get a 'free facial' when I get to my 'absolute goal'. Tomorrow she’ll check to see what my BMI is; I was down to being 3 points away from being within ‘normal’ weight 2 weeks ago. Been a long time since I’ve been there in years. Maybe I should have said, down to the tight tummy part of it. I know that, at some point I will have to start doing things like ‘crunches’ or other abdomen exercises … maybe hula hooping or weights that target that area. Both times I had children and the time before, at my 5th month and I’d gotten large; but, was losing weight at the same time. Having a belly did not seem to stretch my belly out; so, I was able to lose the weight and not have any sagging skin. But, I have had 2 major belly surgeries since my last DYS was born. Tubes tied, then a complete hysterectomy (but I don’t remember how I got back to my pre-surgery body). Just hope that I can lose this ‘little pouch’ I seem to have right above the pubic area. Anybody have any exercise that I can start doing? :o

Gee, I apparently need to take the time to proof-read my posts. The other night I posted something and re-read it and it was like my mind was going faster than my fingers. I type ‘fast’; but, I ran over words and stuff like I was typing and skipping stones across a pond at the same time. But, also was feeling quite ‘manic’, too. :#

Kim - every 'last day of the month' barbiecat will post a 'new link' for the next month; click on that and then bookmark it (by hitting the outline of a star that will turn yellow; and, then you'll always be 'in the current month'. ;) The next time you log in, hit the gray star between the bell and gear. You will then come to where you last posted.

Pip34 – You’re so funny and quite amazing, too. Very committed to Kirby, exercising and being fur-Mama to a house full of some major doggie-dets. Cracker crawled up in my lap today (again). At 20lbs, she is just a little over the weight of a ‘jip-jap-lap-dog’; but, she still gets up here. Louis says she is a ‘spoiled, rotten dog’; that she is. <3

Becca – Why don’t you hang racket off from the wall with L-brackets … or find a way to attach small dish(es) to put the posts in – maybe one for the earrings and another for the backs. You would be able to do what’s been suggested by others to hang the curved posts over the strings of the rack. I’d think that you might have to hang it (attach it) some way off the wall to be able to put your bracelets on the handle any way. You could hide the L-brackets by the way you attach them/ir to the racket. Could be done with one where the circle meets the handle. ;)

Broncos won; but, (personally) I think that Peyton should retire; while he is ‘at the top of his game’, and let someone else take up where he has/will left off. I thought it was a good game for both teams. They both worked hard … it just wasn’t meant to end any other way. I think a lot of people think that Peyton has reached his peak. I guess we’ll see. Hope he doesn’t make the Brett Favre mistake. Football is a ‘young man’s game’. So many retired that had bad injuries and they look old. Well, some of them are old. LOL! B)

Carol in NC – If your friend is ‘flying’ back to the states and coming east … he will need to get over the jet lag. Maybe several days’ worth of it. I have a friend and her significant other who are taking a cruise to North Australia (probably on it as I type). This is the first time that the cruise will be ocean-bound. Saw in the news tonight where a cruise ship left out of New England headed for the Carolinas and then was to go further to the Caribbean. Hit a storm and were having to turn back. Not a good way to spend your vacation; but, I would be ‘happy’ to get home ‘safe’. Wild seas. I’m surprised they don’t have a lot of ‘seasick’ people on board. I’m not so sure that coming back east on a ship would be as hard on the body. :s

Sylvia – Our DDnL#1 is a lot like your son seems to be. DH and I think that she is suffering from some sort of ‘mental issue’. I think she is Bipolar or having similar signs. DOS has told DH that he thinks she has some ‘mental issues’. Sad that it will take a breakdown before she’ll ever admit it, if she does it then.

She is one of my ‘stressors’; and, there are times that I ‘agree’ with what she says; but, I won’t ever totally believe her 100% all the time. She can be kind and will call and ask if there is anything she can do for me while she’s in town. But, other times we just butt heads like 2 rams. I think the mutual agreement to stay clear of one another was both-sided. I must be one of her stressors as well. >:)

She really wants everybody to agree that she’s said or done the correct thing. She thinks that the ‘other’ mothers at school are all ‘out to get her’. Maybe some are snooty; but, not all. She doesn’t even ‘try’ to make friends with anybody. Son is friendly … but she is totally stand-offish. The small private school the girls go to have ‘parties’ that the mothers put on. She was chosen to do the Valentine party. Today one that is in her group called her and told her to pick up enough Zaxby’s chicken (meals or pieces) for the class of 24; she told them that she’d pick up 3 large pizzas instead. Then she was told that one suggested that she go by Target and pick up a Soda machine.

They live paycheck to paycheck; so, she told the woman to tell the one who had made the suggestion to go pick it up herself – she did not have that kind of money. I’m guessing that it made her mad and she reacted to it badly.

Her actions affect our DGDs and their feelings towards the other kids in their classes. One in the 9th grade more than the one in the 4th. I don’t advocate going into debt trying to outdo someone else who can do that sort of thing because they have the money available to them. It is almost like a few of them want to antagonize her. I doubt she handled it with any sort of ‘grace’. I do agree that ‘picking up’ Zaxby’s was expected too much out of most. She’ll milk that for several more weeks.

She once made the comment that everybody thought “they were just ‘poor white, trailer trash’. It made me so mad that I told her to NEVER say that ‘in front of me’ - about my son and/or grandchildren or else she might get ‘decked’. Her mother, who also lives in a trailer was in the car when this remark was made. Sure they live in a trailer, they are poor when it comes to ‘extra money’, they pinch pennies; but MY son and MY granddaughters ARE NOT trash. Gggrrrrr! >:)

I’ve admitted to my PsycheMD that she is one of my ‘known’ stressors’ and I ‘try’ to keep my distance and let her be the one who approaches me, instead of the other way around. Better for me to be ‘in control over our relationships and keep myself in my territory. I am sure that eventfully I will hear her side of the story. While she gets upset about this … she always is buying presents and making DOS attend birthday parties and baby showers with her. Some of them could have been sent a card … no money necessary; but, she still insists and spends probably, on average, $50 a month on presents for others. When they could be putting that money towards a bill or two. She also is back on a ‘diet’ program which consists of ‘eating soup’ (cabbage type) and getting vitamins and other pills to help suppress her appetite. She lost 40lbs before; but, every time she goes on a ‘fad diet’ and this “DR” diet” is a fad diet. Most times, she gains back the weight, then some once she goes off it. She’s been quite testy around me since I have lost nearly 40lbs. The last time she weighed … she topped 280lbs. Up from 240 last year. We’ve been told by DOS to ‘not say anything about her being on a diet or about her weight’. Gee, wonder if that means that I don’t say anything to her ‘if’ she is losing weight or not. We’re not saying anything. She never really lost her baby weight 15 years ago; and, has steadily put on weight (plus a 2nd pregnancy) since. DOMG says, 'she did not put it on overnight and she won't lose it overnight'. We'd both like to get her on this site; but, ... :#

Actually, I think she should go on MFP; but, that’d be ‘too much time wasted’. DOGD is counting “macros” … I don’t know how she does that … I will just count my ‘calories’. o:)

Lenora <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,676 Member
    Options
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Sue - the HS article sounds like a good idea. I will try to find it in the library. Still no calls back from stables. I wonder why.

Kim824. I am fairly new her- under 2 months. I lurked for quite a while before jumping in and I am so glad that I did. What an interesting group of gals from all over the world.

Sylvia You are a saint. I am not sure I could do what you do. 50 pounds of clay? At least it did not go to ruin.

I have been trying a post a picture from this weekend. I actually had to get a new dress for the party because my old ones are too big. dt8a21r9pxlw.png

I hope this time works. Of course, if I continue eating the way I did this weekend, I won't fit into it by next week.

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvis, add me to the list of ones who teared up about the story of the 00 year old lady. You truly have the gift of service. About your son and being mad. Others may not like it but after having so many heart to heart talks with my friend whose sister has the same illness, I know what it does to them. He is young and so much has been taken from him. Yes, he has made some awful choices in his life and he has to pay the consequences for them but this illness he did nothing to have the burden of that put on him and his young family, He knows his days are numbered, he also knows he is a young man and he should be able to do simple tasks, just simple tasks much less trying to create a fancy dish he planned on. Some one else has to do things for his children, do those things a Dad should do. Please be patient with him. You already know that some day you will be burying him.No Mom should have to do that. But that ugly truth is there. Make special moments with him and your grand kids together. OK, I have said my say.

I don't know what is happening to my own body but it is changing. I have always said my MS put some crazy sleep cycle that I don't like. It doesn't matter how tired I am but at 7 PM I am awake. But all that is changing. It is 9PM now and for the last 2 hours I have been so tired I have wanted to give into my tiredness and go to bed. Lately I have been taking a nap every day and it really helps. I am only taking either a full or 1/2 muscle relaxant at bedtime and none during the day.

i also love the puppy bowl. I didn't watch it yesterday though. I read last night that a puppy from one of our local rescue shelters. It was a real interesting article. A person sends in a video and story about their puppy from a rescue shelter, after viewing and reviewing they either accept or reject your puppy. If they accept, you, your puppy and rep from the shelter go to the taping in New York. That's where the problem started with our little puppy Scout. All the lights and smoke, music, etc just shut him down and he wasn't accepted to participate in the actual puppy bowl but his picture was there with all the others. I also love the kitten bowl on Hallmark.

Joyce, Indiana
  • CheriGee2
    CheriGee2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    CheriGee2 wrote: »
    CheriGee2 wrote: »
    CheriGee2~

BECCA, YOUR TOPS GROUP SOUNDS SO MOTIVATED. We aren't doing any contests right now, but over the holidays we did have a blow by blow contest with another TOPS group from our town. It was a real motivator as we wagered $$$, each paying in $2. Unfortunately the other group won, but it was a great way to lose weight. I sure look forward to the meetings each week. A group of us usually goes out for a bite to eat after the meeting and we continue on with the chat and discussion. So far this week, I've had good food choices. Made homemade pea and ham soup on Monday and it's been a great go to filler when I don't know what to eat, or want to make anything new. We have great plans for our family to eat during the Super Bowl on Sunday. We're all football fans and looking forward to the game, and especially the commercials. Cheri Gee

Cheri Gee~Oh its a riot some of these ladies, and the drama....well I can tell you ooogles of drama! I took a "hiatus" of sorts from the middle of Oct. to the 2nd week in Jan. because I was taking things too personal, and getting to wrapped up in the drama of some of the ladies. So I now go with the attitude that I shall get out of it, what I wish to get out of it. I will not take in the drama, but just have fun knowing that most of these ladies are true friends. Realistically you can't be friends with everyone in the world you know, and that is something my mom never did teach me, so I have a problem when there IS a problem. I always think its me, and I need to just do something to make it better. That is my cue to step away now. There is many ladies that do go out to eat afterwards, but I either don't have the funds, or I just want to get home to fix something of my own. Many feel that is their FREE day to eat whatever, but I don't really believe in those, because it takes me so off target. Soup making!!! Oh I love soups, and have some great ones I have created. I will show pics next time. Off to eat a good lunch. Have a great weekend friend!
    Becca
    Oregon

Hi Becca, it's fun to exchange ideas and notes on similar circumstances. The group I'm with doesn't have a lot of drama, at least not that has made itself known to me. I'm happy with this group of ladies and when we go out to eat after meeting, we're pretty good to sticking with our "good for us" food. I know what you mean about FREE day. A group I was with in Minnesota was terrible about eating anything and everything they shouldn't. Actually, I heard people talking about us in the restaurant. It made me feel bad that we were such a horrible example to the public.

Looking forward to Wednesday weigh in; I sure would like to lose a pound or two, but a turtle will even make me happy. I've been trying to exercise (walk) more during the day. Spend too much time in front of the TV or computer or sewing machine. At my age (70) I should know better. Am incredibly blessed as I don't have many health problems. As my DH has heart problems and diabetes with all kinds of side effects, we have a lot of problems to deal with for him. He's such a sweet guy. I'm a lucky lady.

Will meet up with you on Wednesday to share TOPS experiences. Have a great week. CheriGee
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    CSSJ09 wrote: »
    Sue - the HS article sounds like a good idea. I will try to find it in the library. Still no calls back from stables. I wonder why.

Kim824. I am fairly new her- under 2 months. I lurked for quite a while before jumping in and I am so glad that I did. What an interesting group of gals from all over the world.

Sylvia You are a saint. I am not sure I could do what you do. 50 pounds of clay? At least it did not go to ruin.

I have been trying a post a picture from this weekend. I actually had to get a new dress for the party because my old ones are too big. dt8a21r9pxlw.png

I hope this time works. Of course, if I continue eating the way I did this weekend, I won't fit into it by next week.

Very nice!!!! You look great !!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • CheriGee2
    Options
    Does anybody know how to figure out how many calories are in something you cook, when you don't have the label that gives you this? We have some tamales and we eat about 3 of the at the time. I guess I could weigh them; but, that doesn't do anything about the calories. There made of venison and corn meal. Probably 1/2 or then are corn meal and the other is the venison. I'm not sure how I can make this my recipe. Maybe I need to go to 'my meals' instead. Any help would be appreciated. I know that I save a couple of recipes. It's been awhile since I've done that. I've tried finding something that would be close. Not having much luck.

Fixing to have a fire in the fireplace and watching a movie. Hope the DVD Player won't act up. Keep telling DH to go ahead and buy one. They are relatively inexpensive. Tired of he getting pissed when it sticks (in the best part, usually. :'(
    Does anybody know how to figure out how many calories are in something you cook, when you don't have the label that gives you this? We have some tamales and we eat about 3 of the at the time. I guess I could weigh them; but, that doesn't do anything about the calories. There made of venison and corn meal. Probably 1/2 or then are corn meal and the other is the venison. I'm not sure how I can make this my recipe. Maybe I need to go to 'my meals' instead. Any help would be appreciated. I know that I save a couple of recipes. It's been awhile since I've done that. I've tried finding something that would be close. Not having much luck.

Fixing to have a fire in the fireplace and watching a movie. Hope the DVD Player won't act up. Keep telling DH to go ahead and buy one. They are relatively inexpensive. Tired of he getting pissed when it sticks (in the best part, usually. :'(

I believe I've seen a place on MFP where you can add a recipe. Am sure it's where you add food. That should give you calorie totals. Cheri Gee
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    CSSJ09 wrote: »

Oooo that dress is bangin! If that is your body, then it's bangin too!!!!!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,139 Member
    Options
    <3<3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    Options
    nh04tp9bpkpg.jpeg
    Nite peeps
  • CheriGee2
    Options
    Someone asked about adding recipes to MFP, GRITS and SLUTS:
    Looking it up on the site, here is what I found: Hope it answers questions. CheriGee

Creating my own recipes
    Karma_mama — Sep 03, 2015 08:53AM PDT

Is there a way to add my own recipes? I cook everything from scratch and very rarely eat anything with a 'brand' name (apart from stock cubes and coconut milk, lol) I want to add a soup recipe that I use often but have no clue how to add it!

Many thanks

Jacquie

1 Community Answers

 2 

Blake MyFitnessPal Agent
    Sep 03, 2015 09:29AM PDT

HI Jacquie,

Thank you for taking the time to post in the MyFitnessPal support center.

The recipes features allows you to combine multiple ingredients, so that MyFitnessPal can automatically calculate the correct number of calories and nutrients when you log a serving of that recipe to your diary.

To get started:

On the Web​

English-speaking web-site users should see instructions for our Recipe Importer tool. Instructions are here.

This new tool allows you to log a recipe just by entering the web address (URL) of a recipe from your favorite recipe website. Or, you can paste or type a list of ingredients, and we’ll match the list to items in our database!

In addition to speeding up the recipe input process, the new Recipe Importer offers other advantages over our classic web recipe tool, such as the ability to edit the quantity of an ingredient in an existing recipe. You can find it on the web by clicking “Food” then “Recipes”

Our original recipe tool is currently available to non-English users of the MyFitnessPal site.
    Click “Food” then “Recipes” then “Enter New Recipe.” Enter a name for the recipe, and specify the number of servings it produces. In our Mobile apps
    We have begun to roll out our new recipe importer tool for iOS and Android users. If the instructions below do not match your experience in the app, please see this article about the new tool

Begin the steps to add an item to your diary, select a meal, then select the “Recipes” tab, scroll down, and tap “Create New Recipe”

Select “Add Ingredient” and search for the first ingredient in your recipe. If available on your device, Mobile app users may scan barcodes to find ingredients.

Be sure to adjust the “number of servings” of each ingredient to reflect how much of the item you are using in the entire recipe. Once all of the ingredients are entered, save the recipe. The recipe will now be available in the “Recipes” tab tab when you add food to any meal.

If you’re not sure how many servings a recipe will produce, enter a best-guess number when you first create the recipe.

After the recipe is cooked, you can evaluate the number of servings that have been produced. Then, the recipe can be edited and the correct number of servings can be entered. This article contains additional information on editing recipes.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Justin
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I am feeling much better. My son dropped by to visit tonight. He is doing so well. It makes me happy. He struggled to find himself for many years. He decided to weigh while he was here. Granted he was wearing his steel toed boots and had just had supper, but he was up to 155 lbs. that is phenomenal! He is 6'5" tall, and was less than 130 a year ago. He looks great. His pants size has not changed, but he has definitely filled out nicely. He was skipping way too many meals when he was out of work. I think this may be the most he has ever weighed in his 35 years. Needless to say, he does not take after me. He did say that my weight training had inspired him and he has started using his weight bench again.

That black and white dress is super sexy!

Someone asked where in Nashville I am going. I am staying at a place called Scarritt Bennett and attending a conference across the street at The General Board of Discipleship of the United Methodist Church. I'm not sure where that is in relation to other things.

Another thing that made me feel better is Cuddle Duds. It is amazing how I am no longer cold.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Cssj09 - Wow, you look to terrific. I wanna look like that :) Good job.

Janetr OKC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,787 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I have had a nasty sinus headache for the last couple of day's
    Tom is having major major meltdowns, he needs to talk with someone.either his GP or a therapist
    everything is starting to get him angry.. not good for him, me or the dogs...he went to snow blow after he got home and we have metal farm fence around the dog pen, and he usually makes a loop for the dogs, well he got the snowblower blade caught on the fence.. had to turn off the snowblower, get wire cutters and cut the wire off the blades, and then it was something else, he was just angry at everything, so I went to bed and went to sleep
    glad I wont be around for a few days this weekend..
    Sylvia~loved the story about the elderly lady and the horses... God Bless you...
    I am tired of snow, I want Florida.... even at work, I am the one that has to shovel...
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Would love to join and have new mfp pals so please feel free to friend me!!! I am just finishing up my first 3 week plan and will do it again when I finish first phase on 02/15. Basically lower in simple carbs (beads, potatoes, etc...) and higher in protein. Walking every morning for at least 20 min and walking on my lunch, weather permitting. Just would like some support from others who are 50+ and understand the fact that metabolism changes with age but knowing we can still rock it!☆☆☆
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options