what do you do to lower your sugar intake?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Hello just wondering what changes any sugar lovers out there have made to lower their sugar intake?
    I have a sweet tooth so to speak and have high chloresterol, and have been reading that it may contribute a bit to that. So as well as a healthier diet and more excersize I want to watch my sugars as well. I'm not sure about lowering the amount of fruit I eat because of nutrient content + I am a vegetarian.
    Opinions? Methods?

Now that I eat more protein, fruit, and fiber, and less baked goods, my sweet tooth is under control. I budget for one or two Ghiradelli chocolate squares after dinner.
  • Cilantrocat
    Cilantrocat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    lexylondon wrote: »
    What's given me the drive to help REDUCE my sugar intake is knowing what it does for ageing. Particularly the skin. See: glycation. That is my biggest driver.

Ew it evens sounds gross
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    I agree that as long as you are eating healthy and exercising and not storing fat, obese, not having high blood glucose levels or triglycerides then you are good. There are a lot of "articles" out there about glycation and aging and there is a lot of research from biochemists and physicians about glycation that you could look at too.

Thanks for the info. I did not know anything about that! I'll look more into it
  • marenras
    marenras Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make my own yogurt with no added sweeteners. Store-bought yogurts usually are filled with sugar, unless you buy plain.

I drink my coffee and my tea black. No sweeteners. And no milk, because there are quite a lot of natural sugars in milk. It was hard at first, but after 2 weeks of forcing myself to drink it black, now I just love it that way. I love having a "treat" that is zero calorie and completely guilt free. Brewing and drinking my black coffee is a sacred ritual to me that I crave now instead of sugar.

I have had a massive sweet tooth all my life and was/am majorly addicted to sugar. Whole30 changed that for me. Google it. Do it. It is soooo worth it and the only thing I've ever done that slayed the sugar monster for me.

When I crave something sweet I either have a cinnamon tea (no sweetener), a Larabar, or a piece of fruit.

Artificial and zero calorie sweeteners and even natural sweeteners like stevia or agave or honey just feed your sugar addiction. It's super hard at first to get over the cravings, but Whole30 will change your life and your relationship with food and your body and your health. Learning to eat sufficient protein and healthy fats and only natural carbs found in fruits and vegetables will cure you of your sugar addiction without feeling deprived. But be prepared for lots of prep and cooking. It's definitely an adjustment. But I can't recommend it enough.
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    I have been gradually reducing my sugar over a number of years. It began with reducing pre packaged foods, although my goal had zero to do with sugar! Next I cut way back on fast foods and eating out. This was helped because I moved somewhere that is very small town, only fast food is a dq. Then about two years ago I quit drinking Mountain Dew, but I switched it out for sunny d. The sunny d was better than the Mountain Dew, and I drank less of it.
    During this time, over the years I cut back big time on candy and sweets. I wasn't trying to, I just think the pop was handling it fine. I drank a lot of pop, it was my biggest source of calories.
    Then I quit smoking last spring, and my sugar cravings went through the roof! I gained 25 pounds in two months, the same twenty five I had slowly lost over the past two years! Ugh! But even worse, I started feeling sick, and disconnected from my body, it is hard to explain. So then I began researching sugar, and started paying attention to how it made me feel.
    Then I got mfp and it tracks the sugar....this was a great help for me! Something about that just clicked for me and now foods are judged to be worthy or not of my goals for daily sugar.
    I drink a little lemonade, and still drink my coffee with sugar(though I am reducing it slowly) and have sweet desserts sometimes. The pop and the sunny d are gone. I do eat fruit, and some have more sugar than others.
    I have found that for me I feel so much better with a lower sugar diet. I set my goal for 45 grams a day, but I usually get in the 50s and that is ok. This past weekend I had more sugar, and I don't feel so good today. But this is just my own experience! Once I got below about 60 grams a day I quit needing aspirin or Benadryl. I am chronically ill, and have taken aspirin for years and now I don't even think about it. I never set out to quit taking aspirin, I just don't need it anymore.
    For me, awareness is key. Once I started paying close attention the rest fell into place. Also I am in for the long haul to getting better so I don't pressure myself or get too extreme. Just going in the right direction as much as I can.
    A few weeks ago I measured out the sugar in a bottle of Mountain Dew, I think it was five tablespoons or 1/4 cup plus one tablespoon. I used to drink at least two of those a day! I measured it out onto a plate, one bottle then two. Wow! That really gave me a hands on understanding of the amount of sugar I used to consume. That was just the pop! It was an eye opener and a motivator.
    If I want the sweet I just allot the calories and have it, but I do try to stay within my goal range for the most part. Fruit has replaced sugary drinks, but overall it is less sugar.

Aw man that is insane how much sugar they put in those drinks! My main thirst quencher is coffee..... hah
    I hear you on the struggle with quitting smoking! I quit 3 years ago and that is when I gained most of the weight pretty quickly! I quit cold turkey.
    Congratulations on how far you've come and best wishes on your health!
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    Probably not the easiest method but I did a whole 30 where i did not eat any foods with added sugars for 30 days (plus other restrictions.) During that time I ate as much fruit as i wanted. Afterwards my taste buds had completely changed.

I used to prefer Hershey special dark which i believe is 55% sugar and now i prefer 85% chocolate. I find my previous favorite too be sickeningly sweet. I am also more aware of which foods contain added sugar which helps me make better choices... It's surprising once you look for it.

It's been over a year since I did this and my tastes for sweets have not reverted back. Something to consider possibly.

Maybe I will try it. I cut down on salt too and I found that the saltiest foods i used to love are iiickk
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I was pre-diabetic and diabetic for many years and did all the things listed above to reduce added sugars in my diet. I still gained weight, however. I still had high cholesterol (for a diabetic).

Blood sugars, blood pressure, weight, and cholesterol went down when I lost a significant amount of weight, which came about by reducing how much good food I was eating.

If you can do it I can! :smiley:
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    There is none that I have been able to find

If you bring the concept that there is then prove it. Because it is not a belief held by diabetes UK or the NHS or any other official body

And the Mayo clinic link says

"What's the best way to lower triglycerides?

Healthy lifestyle choices are key:

Lose weight. If you're overweight, losing 5 to 10 pounds can help lower your triglycerides. Motivate yourself by focusing on the benefits of losing weight, such as more energy and improved health.
    Cut back on calories. Remember that extra calories are converted to triglycerides and stored as fat. Reducing your calories will reduce triglycerides.
    Avoid sugary and refined foods. Simple carbohydrates, such as sugar and foods made with white flour, can increase triglycerides."

You infer a direct causation that should be available from the core body of research. I infer that sugary and refined foods are high calorific items which feeds into the second point and then in turn the first point

Anyway I have to go out in the current gale to the gym which I don't wanna do

But calories count

You guys made me curious and I found this one
    Its quite a bit of
    reading,
    http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/mobile/article.aspx?articleid=1819573&resultClick=1
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Hello just wondering what changes any sugar lovers out there have made to lower their sugar intake?
    I have a sweet tooth so to speak and have high chloresterol, and have been reading that it may contribute a bit to that. So as well as a healthier diet and more excersize I want to watch my sugars as well. I'm not sure about lowering the amount of fruit I eat because of nutrient content + I am a vegetarian.
    Opinions? Methods?

I've had to severely limit my sugar intake due to being pre-diabetic. I'm not sure about sugars effect on high cholesterol but I can help with lowering sugar.

There's a few good videos on youtube about what sugar/glucose does to your body (I'm at work or I'd link it) so I'd start with looking those up and watching them. All carbs break down into glucose in your body. If you're eating a lot of carbs plus adding sugar to those carbs (ex: toast with jam), PLUS eating fruit, then having a glass of OJ with it you'd be eating more sugar than you realize. For most people it's completely fine to have an apple or an orange for a snack, but if your eating a sandwich with PB+jam, potatoes, rice, glasses of juice or pop, plus a bunch of fruit it really adds up. Log everything you're eating into MFP, even condiments like ketchup or relish and you'll see how much you're eating every day.

If you're not eating low carb, choose the healthiest carbs possible with lots of fiber, like oatmeal, to keep you full and you can top it with a handful of berries. Be careful about selecting bread because even bread has hidden sugar/HFCS. Choose one that's high in fiber, for ex I had some that was "sprouted" bread that was under 18g of carbs (example: http://www.foodforlife.com/product/breads/7-sprouted-grains-bread). You'll quickly learn to read labels.

As far as what I'd eat instead I'd load up on more veggies and save fruit/honey as a topping, snack or a treat. Strip out all the high fructose corn syrups and any added sugars from your meals. For veggies I eat cauliflower (baked or whipped into mock "potatoes"), broccoli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, green beans, zucchini (spiraled as "noodles"), romaine lettuce etc. If I want chocolate I choose the darkest chocolate I can find so I don't overeat it. Lindt makes one that's 90%.

Very helpful thank you.
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    bisky wrote: »
    From American Heart Association: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Added-Sugars-Add-to-Your-Risk-of-Dying-from-Heart-Disease_UCM_460319_Article.jsp#.VrkA9oQ-CT8

Getting too much added sugar in your diet could significantly increase your risk of dying from cardiovascular disease, according to a study published in April 2014.

According to the study published in JAMA: Internal Medicine, those who got 17 to 21 percent of calories from added sugar had a 38 percent higher risk of dying from cardiovascular disease compared to those who consumed 8 percent of their calories from added sugar. The study factored in some sociodemographic, behavioral, and clinical characteristics such as age, ethnicity, level of schooling, smoking, medication use, and others. The relative risk was more than double for those who consumed 21 percent or more of their calories from added sugar.

Added sugars are sugars and syrups that are added to foods or beverages when they’re processed or prepared.

Please go to http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1819573 for more info of the study that was published in the Journal American Medicine Association, An international peer-reviewed general medical journal.

To clarify article not about healthy carbs such as fruits, beans, starchy vegetables.

The problem is that excess added sugar is, of course, associated with excess weight and excess weight is associated with cardiovascular disease. This doesn't answer the question of whether excess added sugar would be associated with cardiovascular disease when controlling for weight. (I'm open to the idea it is, and try not to eat excess added sugar myself, on average, for a variety of reasons, but this does not answer that question.)

Edit: actually I see they tried to control for that, but there remain some lingering issues worthy of further study, including the fact that they have to rely on the NHANES, which isn't all that accurate (and the study acknowledges the shortcomings).

Another interesting bit is that the higher added sugar levels are found in those with lots of other risk factors (like low activity, poor overall diet) and, interestingly, non-white persons. Why that's interesting is (a) of course there are other factors relating to what is already known to be a higher tendency to CVD, AND (b) some other studies suggest that African Americans may be more honest in these types of studies (for example, it appears that the assessments of obesity rate by state are off because African Americans are less apt to lie about their weights, on average). As a result, the midwest may actually be fatter than the south, despite prior reporting to the contrary. So if AA's are more inclined to CVD and also admit to sugar intake more readily than other groups, that would distort the study. These things are always so hard to figure out, although I certainly see no reason not to just focus on what we know is a nutrient-rich, sensible diet anyway, which would mean limiting added sugar.

Also, sat fat of course has the same association. See also: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/study-saturated-fat-as-ba_b_5507184.html and http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2014/03/19/dietary-fat-and-heart-disease-study-is-seriously-misleading/ and http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-fats/

Walter Willett:
    Saturated fat is less healthy, since it raises “bad” cholesterol in the blood. We can’t completely eliminate saturated fat from our diets, though, because foods that are rich in healthy fats also contain a little bit of saturated fat. The best strategy is to limit foods that are very high in saturated fat, such as butter, cheese, and red meat, and replace them with foods that are high in healthy fats, such as plant oils, nuts, and fish. An alternative approach is to just use a very small amount of full-fat cheese, butter, cream, or red meat in dishes that emphasize plant foods such as vegetables, whole grains, and legumes.

Yes I think its a combination of bad habits all of which I am trying to break. I want to combat this thing from all angles.
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Opinions? Methods?

Now that I eat more protein, fruit, and fiber, and less baked goods, my sweet tooth is under control. I budget for one or two Ghiradelli chocolate squares after dinner.

Thanks!
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Opinions? Methods?

As an ovo-lacto vegetarian, I found I routinely went above MFP's default goal for sugar - usually substantially over - just via the inherent sugar in no-sugar-added dairy and fruit (at non-ridiculous fruit consumption, like around 3 servings a day, none of them juice). The only added sugar I was eating then was a tablespoon of all-fruit spread to sweeten my oatmeal (it has a bit of apple juice concentrate in it, which is added sugar). (Yes folks, this is accurate. I'm very aware of food ingredients, and eat mostly one-ingredient foods I prepare myself.)

What did I do about going over MFP's default sugar goal? I stopped including sugar on my diary display, and replaced it with a column for tracking fiber. ;)

In your case, if the problem is an attachment to sweets that aren't very nutrient dense (cookies, candy, cake, etc.), this is something I had adjusted in my own eating well before losing weight. Everyone's different, but what helped me was consciously trying to increase my whole-fruit consumption to about 3 servings per day. That helped me reduce my cravings for less-nutrient-dense sweets. I may eat less fruit than that on average now, but it got me over the habit/cravings hump at a point in time. Now, heading into maintenance weight, I still eat very little added sugar.

I had high cholesterol, too: In late 2014, my cholesterol was 230, and my triglycerides were 193. In late 2015, 54 pounds down, my cholesterol was 176 and my triglycerides 82 - solidly in the normal range. HDL was up from 45 to 65, ratio down from 5.1 to 2.7, LDL down from 146 to 95, VLDL down from 39 to 16.

I had brought my levels down a bit by changing what I ate without losing weight (in early 213, they were cholesterol 253 / triglycerides 402!). But weight loss was what really brought the blood-test results . . . and lots of other improvements, too.

Congratulations on your weightloss.
    I usually have about 3-4 servings of fruit a day during the week, and try to have oatmeal or salad etc for lunch. But I also crave sweets when I get home and after I eat dinner.. like crazy.. and thats when things get sketchyyy.. and there may be a few undocumented peices of chocolate or spoons of nutella going under the radar.
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    marenras wrote: »
    I make my own yogurt with no added sweeteners. Store-bought yogurts usually are filled with sugar, unless you buy plain.

I drink my coffee and my tea black. No sweeteners. And no milk, because there are quite a lot of natural sugars in milk. It was hard at first, but after 2 weeks of forcing myself to drink it black, now I just love it that way. I love having a "treat" that is zero calorie and completely guilt free. Brewing and drinking my black coffee is a sacred ritual to me that I crave now instead of sugar.

I have had a massive sweet tooth all my life and was/am majorly addicted to sugar. Whole30 changed that for me. Google it. Do it. It is soooo worth it and the only thing I've ever done that slayed the sugar monster for me.

When I crave something sweet I either have a cinnamon tea (no sweetener), a Larabar, or a piece of fruit.

Artificial and zero calorie sweeteners and even natural sweeteners like stevia or agave or honey just feed your sugar addiction. It's super hard at first to get over the cravings, but Whole30 will change your life and your relationship with food and your body and your health. Learning to eat sufficient protein and healthy fats and only natural carbs found in fruits and vegetables will cure you of your sugar addiction without feeling deprived. But be prepared for lots of prep and cooking. It's definitely an adjustment. But I can't recommend it enough.

I'll look into whole30.
    I do think I will try try going black coffee. I'm down to two teaspoons from 4 tablespoons. I'm working on learning what to food prep.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my endocrinologist wanted to put me on statins for my triglycerides and that completely freaked me out, because I really watch my balance of types of fat and had never had lipid issues before. At the same time my blood sugars had gone pre-diabetic for several months at that point. I didn't need to lose more weight, but I had just lost weight recently.

Just from cutting down on carbs to control my blood sugars, my triglycerides got great :):) I didn't change anything else at that point. I had read about the research on triglycerides and diabetes and metabolic syndrome, so it wasn't a huge surprise, but it was still a pleasant one.

I haven't read all the studies posted in this thread, but yes, scientists have been studying for a while now the effect of blood glucose on lipid problems. It's frequently discussed regarding 'metabolic syndrome', which usually includes overfat folks, but I have read studies that controlled even better for weight than most. I'll try to find a couple tomorrow, maybe.

Unfortunately the titles don't always hint that they used normal-weight subjects, so you have to wade through the plethora of studies that control for weight in ways but don't always investigate normal-weight folks as study groups. Metabolic syndrome is pretty darned important on its own, though, so even if it is extra weight that is causing sugar metabolism to be wonky, I think it matters. (And BTW, that's where a lot of research seems to lead: that weight problems can disrupt more systems than they previously thought. The issue of normal-weight folks also having to have the problem is indeed a separate question.)

Anyway, I do fit the normal-weight category nicely as a case study ;) But I have hyperglycemia, so that explains my triglyceride problem right there and doesn't indicate that someone not getting blood sugar problems would see the benefit I did from reducing carbs. Dunno about that :grin:

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Exactly it's about excess calories and overweight

Now fair enough if cutting down on sugar means you are hitting your calorie goals and nutritional requirements

But sugar does not cause high blood cholesterol

Unless somebody has info that proves otherwise I'm sticking with the advice to lower trans and sat fats and lose weight

"Dietary Fructose Reduces Circulating Insulin and Leptin, Attenuates Postprandial Suppression of Ghrelin, and Increases Triglycerides in Women " http://press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jc.2003-031855

Direct acute effect fructose -> triglycerides, no weight loss. Healthy non diabetic non obese subjects in crossover.
    zeg0060404870007.jpeg

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    3 week spells at various carb intake in a calorie deficit shows effect of carb intake on triglycerides (white triangles) :-

zhnqcory63p7.png

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4240601/
    Overweight / obese subjects with metabolic syndrome.

Is there any evidence that sugar intake does not affect triglycerides ?
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I do not have real sugar or artificial sweetener. BUT the one thing I do, do which is working for me is to have 1teaspoon of cinnamon in the morning and at night, since doing so my sugar levels which were getting out of control are now almost perfect and IO am able to gradually lower my insulin levels. Google cinnamon for yourselves, it is an interesting article to read.
  • Sbelcner
    Sbelcner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eat low carb and high protein and fiber. I had gestational diabetes and that's all I did to keep sugars in line. Almonds are great. Believe it or not cinnamon will lower blood sugar. I made a pumpkin spice cake. It had lots of cinnamon. I ate it for breakfast and it lowered my blood sugar. Same with sweet potatoes with cinnamon.
  • Sbelcner
    Options
    I don't know if it would work for you but this worked for me. When I get a craving for cookies (my weakness) I've found that eating 3-4 grams of assorted nuts or cashews does it for me. I find it filling and satisfies my sugar craving most of the time. Again, I don't know if that would work well for you, but it works for me.

When I had to watch sugars/carbs gor gestational diabetes, I got addicted to honey roasted nuts. Satisfied my sweet craving.
  • Sbelcner
    Options
    Sbelcner wrote: »
    Eat low carb and high protein and fiber. I had gestational diabetes and that's all I did to keep sugars in line. Almonds are great. Believe it or not cinnamon will lower blood sugar. I made a pumpkin spice cake. It had lots of cinnamon. I ate it for breakfast and it lowered my blood sugar. Same with sweet potatoes with cinnamon.

Also fiber one brownies or cookies...low in sugar/carbs high in fiber...they satisfied my sweet tooth.