what do you do to lower your sugar intake?

Options

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hello just wondering what changes any sugar lovers out there have made to lower their sugar intake?
    I have a sweet tooth so to speak and have high chloresterol, and have been reading that it may contribute a bit to that. So as well as a healthier diet and more excersize I want to watch my sugars as well. I'm not sure about lowering the amount of fruit I eat because of nutrient content + I am a vegetarian.
    Opinions? Methods?

As an ovo-lacto vegetarian, I found I routinely went above MFP's default goal for sugar - usually substantially over - just via the inherent sugar in no-sugar-added dairy and fruit (at non-ridiculous fruit consumption, like around 3 servings a day, none of them juice). The only added sugar I was eating then was a tablespoon of all-fruit spread to sweeten my oatmeal (it has a bit of apple juice concentrate in it, which is added sugar). (Yes folks, this is accurate. I'm very aware of food ingredients, and eat mostly one-ingredient foods I prepare myself.)

What did I do about going over MFP's default sugar goal? I stopped including sugar on my diary display, and replaced it with a column for tracking fiber. ;)

In your case, if the problem is an attachment to sweets that aren't very nutrient dense (cookies, candy, cake, etc.), this is something I had adjusted in my own eating well before losing weight. Everyone's different, but what helped me was consciously trying to increase my whole-fruit consumption to about 3 servings per day. That helped me reduce my cravings for less-nutrient-dense sweets. I may eat less fruit than that on average now, but it got me over the habit/cravings hump at a point in time. Now, heading into maintenance weight, I still eat very little added sugar.

I had high cholesterol, too: In late 2014, my cholesterol was 230, and my triglycerides were 193. In late 2015, 54 pounds down, my cholesterol was 176 and my triglycerides 82 - solidly in the normal range. HDL was up from 45 to 65, ratio down from 5.1 to 2.7, LDL down from 146 to 95, VLDL down from 39 to 16.

I had brought my levels down a bit by changing what I ate without losing weight (in early 213, they were cholesterol 253 / triglycerides 402!). But weight loss was what really brought the blood-test results . . . and lots of other improvements, too.

Congratulations on your weightloss.
    I usually have about 3-4 servings of fruit a day during the week, and try to have oatmeal or salad etc for lunch. But I also crave sweets when I get home and after I eat dinner.. like crazy.. and thats when things get sketchyyy.. and there may be a few undocumented peices of chocolate or spoons of nutella going under the radar.

It's a slippery slope when you don't log everything. People are not going to think less of you, most of us regularly indulge on purpose or slip up accidentally.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hello just wondering what changes any sugar lovers out there have made to lower their sugar intake?
    I have a sweet tooth so to speak and have high chloresterol, and have been reading that it may contribute a bit to that. So as well as a healthier diet and more excersize I want to watch my sugars as well. I'm not sure about lowering the amount of fruit I eat because of nutrient content + I am a vegetarian.
    Opinions? Methods?

As an ovo-lacto vegetarian, I found I routinely went above MFP's default goal for sugar - usually substantially over - just via the inherent sugar in no-sugar-added dairy and fruit (at non-ridiculous fruit consumption, like around 3 servings a day, none of them juice). The only added sugar I was eating then was a tablespoon of all-fruit spread to sweeten my oatmeal (it has a bit of apple juice concentrate in it, which is added sugar). (Yes folks, this is accurate. I'm very aware of food ingredients, and eat mostly one-ingredient foods I prepare myself.)

What did I do about going over MFP's default sugar goal? I stopped including sugar on my diary display, and replaced it with a column for tracking fiber. ;)

In your case, if the problem is an attachment to sweets that aren't very nutrient dense (cookies, candy, cake, etc.), this is something I had adjusted in my own eating well before losing weight. Everyone's different, but what helped me was consciously trying to increase my whole-fruit consumption to about 3 servings per day. That helped me reduce my cravings for less-nutrient-dense sweets. I may eat less fruit than that on average now, but it got me over the habit/cravings hump at a point in time. Now, heading into maintenance weight, I still eat very little added sugar.

I had high cholesterol, too: In late 2014, my cholesterol was 230, and my triglycerides were 193. In late 2015, 54 pounds down, my cholesterol was 176 and my triglycerides 82 - solidly in the normal range. HDL was up from 45 to 65, ratio down from 5.1 to 2.7, LDL down from 146 to 95, VLDL down from 39 to 16.

I had brought my levels down a bit by changing what I ate without losing weight (in early 213, they were cholesterol 253 / triglycerides 402!). But weight loss was what really brought the blood-test results . . . and lots of other improvements, too.

Congratulations on your weightloss.
    I usually have about 3-4 servings of fruit a day during the week, and try to have oatmeal or salad etc for lunch. But I also crave sweets when I get home and after I eat dinner.. like crazy.. and thats when things get sketchyyy.. and there may be a few undocumented peices of chocolate or spoons of nutella going under the radar.

It's a slippery slope when you don't log everything. People are not going to think less of you, most of us regularly indulge on purpose or slip up accidentally.

+1, +many: Accurate food-logging data is going to be useful as you monitor/adjust your loss rate, and eventually when you want to estimate maintenance calories. Don't cheat yourself - log it. Psychologically, it may also help with keeping the "is it worth it" question in the front of your mind (sometimes it is; sometimes it isn't).
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    P.S. Just took a quick look at your diary. Your mileage may vary, because satiation & cravings seem to behave very differently for everyone . . . but if I ate as little protein as you often do, I would be having mad cravings for all kinds of things. (NB: I'm vegetarian, too, though ovo/lacto, so I'm not looking for 1g/lb bodyweight as some do . . . but you've got some days in there with only 20-30g, while getting a hearty level of exercise!)
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    hanniejong wrote: »
    I do not have real sugar or artificial sweetener. BUT the one thing I do, do which is working for me is to have 1teaspoon of cinnamon in the morning and at night, since doing so my sugar levels which were getting out of control are now almost perfect and IO am able to gradually lower my insulin levels. Google cinnamon for yourselves, it is an interesting article to read.
    Do you know what type of cinnamon you are using? Last week I was just reading about the benefits of cinnamon for digestion. But from the research I did, it seemed to me like there's only one variety of cinnamon that works, and it's an unpopular variety.

• AnnPT77
    Options
    hanniejong wrote: »
    I do not have real sugar or artificial sweetener. BUT the one thing I do, do which is working for me is to have 1teaspoon of cinnamon in the morning and at night, since doing so my sugar levels which were getting out of control are now almost perfect and IO am able to gradually lower my insulin levels. Google cinnamon for yourselves, it is an interesting article to read.
    Do you know what type of cinnamon you are using? Last week I was just reading about the benefits of cinnamon for digestion. But from the research I did, it seemed to me like there's only one variety of cinnamon that works, and it's an unpopular variety.

Some sources say you should prefer Ceylon cinnamon over cassia cinnamon, especially if you're eating a larger amount regularly, because the Ceylon naturally has less coumarin (a blood thinning substance that allegedly can have negative effects on the liver). Cassia is more common, because it's cheaper. But Ceylon isn't that tough to find - bulk section of my local health food store has it. The taste is slightly different, but I can't say that one or the other tastes better to me.

There's dispute, BTW, about whether the difference is really significant in dietary quantities. I'm not making an argument one way or the other, just offering more details.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Most baked goodies and chocolate are devastating on the waistline not from their sugar, but from their fats. That's why they're so calorie dense.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    3 week spells at various carb intake in a calorie deficit shows effect of carb intake on triglycerides (white triangles) :-

zhnqcory63p7.png

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4240601/
    Overweight / obese subjects with metabolic syndrome.

Is there any evidence that sugar intake does not affect triglycerides ?

At 251 it's as low as it is at 47, so...
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I dont want to beat a dead horse, but I have to point out that glucose and fructose (both sugars) TASTE identical to each other, but are chemically different and are used by the body in different ways - just google "difference between glucose and fructose" and you will be able to find plenty of information that talks about this distinction.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    I dont want to beat a dead horse, but I have to point out that glucose and fructose (both sugars) TASTE identical to each other, but are chemically different and are used by the body in different ways - just google "difference between glucose and fructose" and you will be able to find plenty of information that talks about this distinction.

Fructose mostly gets turned into glucose in the liver. Check Fructolysis for the whole splitup of things that happen to it.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 984 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Glucose
    The most important monosaccharide is glucose, the body’s preferred energy source. Glucose is also called blood sugar, as it circulates in the blood, and relies on the enzymes glucokinase or hexokinase to initiate metabolism. Your body processes most carbohydrates you eat into glucose, either to be used immediately for energy or to be stored in muscle cells or the liver as glycogen for later use. Unlike fructose, insulin is secreted primarily in response to elevated blood concentrations of glucose, and insulin facilitates the entry of glucose into cells.
    Fructose
    Fructose is a sugar found naturally in many fruits and vegetables, and added to various beverages such as soda and fruit-flavored drinks. However, it is very different from other sugars because it has a different metabolic pathway and is not the preferred energy source for muscles or the brain. Fructose is only metabolized in the liver and relies on fructokinase to initiate metabolism. It is also more lipogenic, or fat-producing, than glucose. Unlike glucose, too, it does not cause insulin to be released or stimulate production of leptin, a key hormone for regulating energy intake and expenditure. These factors raise concerns about chronically high intakes of dietary fructose, because it appears to behave more like fat in the body than like other carbohydrates.

Because fructose does not stimulate insulin secretion from pancreatic β cells, the consumption of foods and beverages containing fructose produces smaller postprandial insulin excursions than does consumption of glucose-containing carbohydrate. Because leptin production is regulated by insulin responses to meals, fructose consumption also reduces circulating leptin concentrations. The combined effects of lowered circulating leptin and insulin in individuals who consume diets that are high in dietary fructose could therefore increase the likelihood of weight gain and its associated metabolic sequelae. In addition, fructose, compared with glucose, is preferentially metabolized to lipid in the liver.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It's really early here, haven't woken up properly. so..... Is the above post saying all sugar isn't equal ?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What would that mean? Most "sugar" is a combination of sugars.

Also see:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/fructose-fruit_b_3694684.html
    Sophie Egan did an excellent job in the Well blog of this week's New York Times making the case for eating fruit. The question of course is why does anyone need to make a case for eating fruit? We have cited the combination of "fruits and vegetables" as the cornerstone of healthful eating throughout the entire era of modern nutrition, and it has been so since before the advent of modern humans. Homo erectus ate mostly plants, and their predecessors -- the australopithecines and such -- ate nothing but....

The only real problem with the "fructose is toxic" platform, other than all the ways it's misleading and wrong, is that the one place fructose, per se, is found in our food, is fruit. Dr. Lustig is quick to point out, as he does in Ms. Egan's column, that fruit is fine. But that's one whopper of a proviso. Fructose is toxic, it seems, except for the one place you will actually encounter pure fructose. [note as Dr. Katz of course knows, but to make sure the point is not missed: you will also encounter glucose and sucrose, at least, along with the fructose, but the fruit contains uncombined fructose, as well as glucose and sucrose even before your body breaks the sucrose down into, well, glucose and fructose]

Lustig's real nemesis, of course, is high-fructose corn syrup. But that's really just sugar. Table sugar is 50 percent fructose; high-fructose corn syrup is, at most, 55 percent fructose. They are all but the same thing, and are the same in all ways that really matter. We eat too much added sugar, but that message, I guess, lacked the sex appeal and conspiracy theory edge of "fructose is toxic." But now we reap the fruit sown of that misguided seed: We have to tell people it's okay to eat fruit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/fructose-toxic_b_3529120.html
    If "sugar is poison" is wrong, perhaps "fructose is toxic" is still a viable claim? No, it's not.

When serious scientists, most recently the widely-respected Dr. David Ludwig at Harvard, but others before him, have reviewed the contention, they have found it exaggerated and distorted. The levels of fructose intake invoked to produce end-organ damage in provocative articles do not occur under real-world conditions. Pushed to comparable extremes of dosing, articles about oxygen would reach far grimmer conclusions, concluding the compound is not just toxic, but uniformly lethal over a span of mere days.

Nor under real-world conditions is there clear evidence that fructose is any more harmful than the other sugars with which it is all but inevitably associated. Fructose and glucose, both of which are found in table sugar, both of which are found in high-fructose corn syrup, are metabolized differently -- but the best assessments of the implications of that suggest that excesses of both or either can be harmful, as can the associated excesses of calories. Neither is uniquely toxic.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    Glucose
    The most important monosaccharide is glucose, the body’s preferred energy source. Glucose is also called blood sugar, as it circulates in the blood, and relies on the enzymes glucokinase or hexokinase to initiate metabolism. Your body processes most carbohydrates you eat into glucose, either to be used immediately for energy or to be stored in muscle cells or the liver as glycogen for later use. Unlike fructose, insulin is secreted primarily in response to elevated blood concentrations of glucose, and insulin facilitates the entry of glucose into cells.
    Fructose
    Fructose is a sugar found naturally in many fruits and vegetables, and added to various beverages such as soda and fruit-flavored drinks. However, it is very different from other sugars because it has a different metabolic pathway and is not the preferred energy source for muscles or the brain. Fructose is only metabolized in the liver and relies on fructokinase to initiate metabolism. It is also more lipogenic, or fat-producing, than glucose. Unlike glucose, too, it does not cause insulin to be released or stimulate production of leptin, a key hormone for regulating energy intake and expenditure. These factors raise concerns about chronically high intakes of dietary fructose, because it appears to behave more like fat in the body than like other carbohydrates.

Because fructose does not stimulate insulin secretion from pancreatic β cells, the consumption of foods and beverages containing fructose produces smaller postprandial insulin excursions than does consumption of glucose-containing carbohydrate. Because leptin production is regulated by insulin responses to meals, fructose consumption also reduces circulating leptin concentrations. The combined effects of lowered circulating leptin and insulin in individuals who consume diets that are high in dietary fructose could therefore increase the likelihood of weight gain and its associated metabolic sequelae. In addition, fructose, compared with glucose, is preferentially metabolized to lipid in the liver.

According to wikipedia (and the 2012 study it cites of course), only a tiny fraction of fructose is metabolized to lipids.
  • bisky
    Options
    It is very late here. It is explaining the difference between glucose and fructose and how they are metabolized in the body by different pathways. It also explains why high fructose corn syrup is so bad. Most natural foods have both fructose and glucose. Processed foods (sugary drinks, anything with high fructose corn syrup,etc) are very high in fructose. Natural foods (fruits, vegetables, beans, etc) also have fiber, minerals, vitamins.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    It is very late here. It is explaining the difference between glucose and fructose and how they are metabolized in the body by different pathways. It also explains why high fructose corn syrup is so bad. Most natural foods have both fructose and glucose. Processed foods (sugary drinks, anything with high fructose corn syrup,etc) are very high in fructose. Natural foods (fruits, vegetables, beans, etc) also have fiber, minerals, vitamins.

...no it does not? And fruits are higher in fructose than processed foods 9 times out of 10.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2016
    Options
    HFCS=55% fructose.

Also, why are we off on HFCS? Most people seem to be focused on "added sugar" and personally the added sugar I eat is mostly sucrose (which, of course, is 50% fructose, so not much of a difference, but let's compare with various fruits).
  • bisky
    Options
    Steven Closer - Okay, as you use wikipedia for your source so will I.
    Lemucat12, sorry, I know you prefer more scientific studies.

Fructose
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fructose, or fruit sugar, is a simple ketonic monosaccharide found in many plants, where it is often bonded to glucose to form the disaccharide sucrose. It is one of the three dietary monosaccharides, along with glucose and galactose, that are absorbed directly into the bloodstream during digestion. Fructose was discovered by French chemist Augustin-Pierre Dubrunfaut in 1847.[4][5] The name "fructose" was coined in 1857 by the English chemist William Miller.[6] Pure, dry fructose is a very sweet, white, odorless, crystalline solid and is the most water-soluble of all the sugars.[7] Fructose is found in honey, tree and vine fruits, flowers, berries, and most root vegetables.

Commercially, fructose is frequently derived from sugar cane, sugar beets, and corn. Crystalline fructose is the monosaccharide, dried, ground, and of high purity. High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a mixture of glucose and fructose as monosaccharides. Sucrose is a compound with one molecule of glucose covalently linked to one molecule of fructose. All forms of fructose, including fruits and juices, are commonly added to foods and drinks for palatability and taste enhancement, and for browning of some foods, such as baked goods.

About 240,000 tonnes of crystalline fructose are produced annually.[8]

Excess fructose consumption has been hypothesized to be a cause of insulin resistance, obesity,[9] elevated LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, leading to metabolic syndrome.[10][11] Fructose encourages visceral adipose tissue build-up and ectopic fat deposition.[12] The majority of studies indicate there may be an increased risk of cardiovascular disease from a high intake of fructose.[13]
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What do you have to say in response to the two David Katz articles that I linked and quoted, that directly discuss this issue?

Wiki on Katz: David L. Katz (born 20 February 1963 in Los Angeles, California) is a nutritionist and the founding director of the Prevention Research Center at Yale University, as well as an associate professor of public health practice at the Yale University School of Medicine. In 2005, Katz was appointed the associate director for nutrition science at the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at Yale.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    3 week spells at various carb intake in a calorie deficit shows effect of carb intake on triglycerides (white triangles) :-

zhnqcory63p7.png

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4240601/
    Overweight / obese subjects with metabolic syndrome.

Is there any evidence that sugar intake does not affect triglycerides ?

At 251 it's as low as it is at 47, so...

so let's not mention 344
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    OMG i'm such a sugar-holic. But I've lost 125 lbs and kept it off (mostly w/in 20 lb range) for 8 years.

First of all, there are many things I had to learn that have more sugar than you'd imagine:
    • Yogurt that isn't plain
    • Ketchup
    • Salad dressings (sometimes...especially the 'fat free' ones - make your own)
    • Wine & beer
    • Almost ANYTHING "lowfat" or "nonfat" (then conversely, many "sugar free" things are packed with carbs)
    • Some brands of peanut butter (go all-natural!)
    • BBQ sauce
    • Protein bars
    • Most non-dairy milk
    • Chinese food (most)
    • Dried cranberries (really any dried fruit, but dried cranberries have a CRAP ton)
    • Energy drinks (and soda, of course)
    • Pasta sauce (sad but mostly true)
    • Granola (HOLY COW, SO MUCH SUGAR!)
    • Store-bought cole slaw
    • FRUIT JUICE - this stuff is often just as bad as soda and we give it to our kids & it rots their teeth.

Second, you can get nutrients from things other than fruit. Go, veggies!

Third, if my sweet tooth gets out of hand, I do a 5-10 day no-added-sugar extravaganza.
    Basically, I "re-set" my tastebuds & body (totally scientific term here, guys) so that I don't crave sugar anymore. It's amazing how well it works. My general rules are NO artificial sweetener, NO sweetener in tea or coffee, NO juice, soda, wine, beer, LOW or NONE of most of the items listed above. I might have a couple raisins every other evening so I get a bit of sweetness. I highly recommend it :) It certainly won't hurt - and at the very least you'll see how much your habits are based around high-sugar things, if you have to think twice about it!