Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Arguing Semantics - sugar addiction

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I thought that addicts pimped their kids for crack. Do you have your kids turning tricks so you can have brownies? No? What's your point in watering down a perfectly functional word? Not only do word have no meaning when they lose their value, we can no longer communicate.

I have loved ones that are addicts, ruined their jobs, lives, and marriages from their substances abuse, had to take antibuse so they wouldn't drink, and went into delirium tremors. Are you experiencing that?

No? That what conduct are you attempting to excuse?
    The introduction to the Nutrition Debate subforum is frightening if one believes in presenting fact to counter those who mangle the language in order to excuse their actions. The reference to the guidelines is that thinly veiled threat of impending warnings for countering the common claim of "sugar addiction". Feelings and beliefs now trump logic and science.

When words have no meaning they lose their value.
    I sold my kids to the Girl Scouts of America for Thin Mints. Works out in a certain way.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    makingmark wrote: »
    I think deep down most of us know the truth, it is just uncomfortable. Facing the uncomfortable truth is really the best way to control our weight. Elaborate fantasies that make us feel better aren't really doing us any favors.

agreed but it happens all day everyday, and i am sure many people have been there at one time or another
    the feelings i had about losing weight and excising felt real at the time, i can now see they were silly.
    we all just wake up at different times and make the change. and some people never do.

But if people are not allowed to point out the somewhat uncomfortable truths, then how is that person supposed to arrive at their epiphany? If all they see is validation of erroneous beliefs, why would they confront their misconceptions?

again its always about delivery and the perception thingy
    its not always about what is said its how it is said
    i have seen threads in the past that ends up mocking the op that will never end well

There you go..

Its not the correcting of misinformation. .. its that fact that its the only thing people do... while completely ignoring the OP.

The only conspiracies are the ones that are beig made up by those people who dont find the balance between correcting erroneous data and provide help to the OP.

If providing help to the OP is part of the criteria, than shouldn't all replies that say sugar addiction is real end up here, 100% of the time, as lying to someone and reinforcing false information is never going to be helpful?

Instead it seems like the burden is inverted. The assumption is that people saying sugar addiction isn't a thing are automatically assumed unproductive and moved here.

Helping the OP doesnt mean lying to them. I dont know why this concept is so hard but helping people is more than correcting bad information... its provide the next step...

Essentially, so you told them physical addiction doesnt exit... great. .. how do apply that to their situation?

Which usually includes strategies to deal with cutting to much, IIFYM or the most common - "if you want to continue to cut xxx, that's fine, but understand that other long term strategies may also work...."
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I think deep down most of us know the truth, it is just uncomfortable. Facing the uncomfortable truth is really the best way to control our weight. Elaborate fantasies that make us feel better aren't really doing us any favors.

agreed but it happens all day everyday, and i am sure many people have been there at one time or another
    the feelings i had about losing weight and excising felt real at the time, i can now see they were silly.
    we all just wake up at different times and make the change. and some people never do.

But if people are not allowed to point out the somewhat uncomfortable truths, then how is that person supposed to arrive at their epiphany? If all they see is validation of erroneous beliefs, why would they confront their misconceptions?

i have seen threads in the past that ends up mocking the op that will never end well

There you go..

Its not the correcting of misinformation. .. its that fact that its the only thing people do... while completely ignoring the OP.

The only conspiracies are the ones that are beig made up by those people who dont find the balance between correcting erroneous data and provide help to the OP.

If a person bases a position based on misinformation then how is not not helpful to correct that misinformation so the person can then reassess their position?

It depends. Did you protect the feelz while correcting the misinformation?

but i often wondered if the feelz of those trying to help our hurt too
    not everyone will accept the great help given right away or even ever.
    so therefore its annoying why the OP asked for help in the first place

i just read a post about an OP who is doing everything but gaining weight
    so rightly everyone tells op you are eating more than you think
    op is more convinced that its an illness, and seems to name a different illness it could be at every other post
    op is getting flustered that she is being told she is eating too much doesnt want any more comments
    that op is not ready

Does that mean people should stop telling her?

yes, she has a couple of pages of you are eating too much in different forms, she is off to the doctor, when the doctor gives her the all clear she will come back and read the post clearly

Wait, is your position actually that no one should be told the truth if they are not ready to hear it?

nope not at all
    she has been told pages of you are eating too much
    how many more pages does she need esp if not listening and getting upset?

If she is continuing to engage, then she's going to get honest answers. The truth will stop when she stops posting.

The op deactivated her account
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

There you go..

If a person bases a position based on misinformation then how is not not helpful to correct that misinformation so the person can then reassess their position?

Funny, i never see threads that would ask if you feel their sugar addiction is real. I see people asking for help to make better choices and get passed said addiction.

I see threads where people flat out state they are addicted to sugar .. a fallacy upon which they base their position.

Funny, I don't see the questions asked of MFP getting answered here. You just side stepped this question and the question of why posts countering sugar addiction get moved/deleted while those claiming it are permitted still goes unanswered.

I only explain things so many times. If people dont want to understand, that is on them.

Can you do me a favor and explain the 1 thing I've asked of you in this thread?

As long as its not about moderation... if you have questions on why things are done then pm is the approach.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

There you go..

Funny, i never see threads that would ask if you feel their sugar addiction is real. I see people asking for help to make better choices and get passed said addiction.

I see threads where people flat out state they are addicted to sugar .. a fallacy upon which they base their position.

Funny, I don't see the questions asked of MFP getting answered here. You just side stepped this question and the question of why posts countering sugar addiction get moved/deleted while those claiming it are permitted still goes unanswered.

I only explain things so many times. If people dont want to understand, that is on them.

Let me know when you address any of the questions actually asked of you. What you've done isn't "explain" .. it isn't answer ... it's dance around the questions and hope nobody notices.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

There you go..

It depends. Did you protect the feelz while correcting the misinformation?

but i often wondered if the feelz of those trying to help our hurt too
    not everyone will accept the great help given right away or even ever.
    so therefore its annoying why the OP asked for help in the first place

i just read a post about an OP who is doing everything but gaining weight
    so rightly everyone tells op you are eating more than you think
    op is more convinced that its an illness, and seems to name a different illness it could be at every other post
    op is getting flustered that she is being told she is eating too much doesnt want any more comments
    that op is not ready

Does that mean people should stop telling her?

yes, she has a couple of pages of you are eating too much in different forms, she is off to the doctor, when the doctor gives her the all clear she will come back and read the post clearly

Wait, is your position actually that no one should be told the truth if they are not ready to hear it?

nope not at all
    she has been told pages of you are eating too much
    how many more pages does she need esp if not listening and getting upset?

If she is continuing to engage, then she's going to get honest answers. The truth will stop when she stops posting.

The op deactivated her account

oh dear, so she cant even come back after her all clear from the doctor
  • psuLemon
    Options

There you go..

If providing help to the OP is part of the criteria, than shouldn't all replies that say sugar addiction is real end up here, 100% of the time, as lying to someone and reinforcing false information is never going to be helpful?

Instead it seems like the burden is inverted. The assumption is that people saying sugar addiction isn't a thing are automatically assumed unproductive and moved here.

Helping the OP doesnt mean lying to them. I dont know why this concept is so hard but helping people is more than correcting bad information... its provide the next step...

Essentially, so you told them physical addiction doesnt exit... great. .. how do apply that to their situation?

Which usually includes strategies to deal with cutting to much, IIFYM or the most common - "if you want to continue to cut xxx, that's fine, but understand that other long term strategies may also work...."

And unfortunately this is the part that gets left out. At least more often than not in thr gd&w section.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

There you go..

The Enlightenment (known in French as the Siècle des Lumières, the Century of Enlightenment and in German as the Aufklärung) was a philosophical movement which dominated the world of ideas in Europe in the 18th century. The Enlightenment included a scope of ideas centered on reason as the primary source of authority and legitimacy, and came to advance ideals such as liberty, progress, tolerance, fraternity, constitutional government and ending the abuses of the church and state.[1][2] In France, the central doctrines of the Lumières were individual liberty and religious tolerance, in opposition to the principle of absolute monarchy and the fixed dogmas of the Roman Catholic Church.[3] The Enlightenment was marked by increasing empiricism, scientific rigor, and reductionism, along with increased questioning of religious orthodoxy.[4]

There was a whole era of educating people by telling them to use reason and empirical science. It was around the time where literacy in the common public went up enormously.
    Telling facts and clearing up misinformation about the person's situation is a good start to conquering a problem.
  • senecarr
    Options

There you go..

The Enlightenment (known in French as the Siècle des Lumières, the Century of Enlightenment and in German as the Aufklärung) was a philosophical movement which dominated the world of ideas in Europe in the 18th century. The Enlightenment included a scope of ideas centered on reason as the primary source of authority and legitimacy, and came to advance ideals such as liberty, progress, tolerance, fraternity, constitutional government and ending the abuses of the church and state.[1][2] In France, the central doctrines of the Lumières were individual liberty and religious tolerance, in opposition to the principle of absolute monarchy and the fixed dogmas of the Roman Catholic Church.[3] The Enlightenment was marked by increasing empiricism, scientific rigor, and reductionism, along with increased questioning of religious orthodoxy.[4]

There was a whole era of educating people by telling them to use reason and empirical science.
    Telling facts and clearing up misinformation about the person's situation is a good start to conquering a problem.

I'm glad your post ended that way. For a moment I thought your idea of help would involve more guillotines.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

There you go..

There was a whole era of educating people by telling them to use reason and empirical science. It was around the time where literacy in the common public went up enormously.

Except on MFP.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

There you go..

There was a whole era of educating people by telling them to use reason and empirical science.

I'm glad your post ended that way. For a moment I thought your idea of help would involve more guillotines.

Well, a nutrition revolution where every woo peddler gets beheaded wouldn't be soooooo bad, right?
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Or the poster who derails threads by constantly posting that the fat you eat is the fat you wear. That's not helpful either.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Or the poster who derails threads by constantly posting that the fat you eat is the fat you wear. That's not helpful either.

lol, i have not heard that one before. who makes this stuff up
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    He is high carb low (as in below minimum) fat vegan
  • psuLemon
    Options

Yes we know that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

There you go..

Again, as a participant in those threads who tries to correct misinformation but spends much more of my time and energy giving ideas of how to deal with the problem and my own history and what worked for me, I know that this is not true. I am one of those people, and it is absolutely NOT all that I do, or many, many other posters I see posting in those forums.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

There you go..

Well, a nutrition revolution where every woo peddler gets beheaded wouldn't be soooooo bad, right?

The enlightenment died before beheadings began... hmm, now why does that suddenly sound relevant?

By the way, the Terror saw beheadings of many different factions - not just woo paddlers would get it. You'd see people right and left lose their head.

NP: Heads Will Roll - Yeah Yeah Yeah.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a phenomenon called "psychological addiction"? I used to see this a lot referring to marijuana, and I think it could be used for sugar, too.
  • senecarr
    Options
    He is high carb low (as in below minimum) fat vegan

Body, dietary, or both? :p
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

lol, i have not heard that one before. who makes this stuff up

Susan Powter, I think.

It's cute that kids today are giving tribute to the '90s.
This discussion has been closed.