• RonFrances8
    RonFrances8 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Barbie, Thanks! Congrats on your 50 lb loss
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    nccarol: I'm glad you posted. I've been wondering whether you're ok. :flowerforyou:

hhof & newbies: Welcome to a great group of women.

Sylvia: If I had pants that came up to my bra I'd take them back, too. :bigsmile: I'm happy that you and your DH are having some time off at the lake. Rest well. :flowerforyou:

Rori: I hope you feel better soon. (((hugs)))

Fran: Some of us are actively trying to lose weight. I'm here to maintain because I know if I go back to my old habits I'll get my old results--pounds and pounds that I don't need to haul around. Welcome to a great group. Post often and let us get to know you. :smiley:

I tripped over my neighbor's doorstep and fell on my healing wrist earlier today. I don't seem to have done any damage to my wrist, thank goodness. This afternoon I went to REI to buy new padded bike shorts for my horseback riding lessons. My old ones failed me and I have nasty saddle sores right now to prove it. :sad: I'm hoping to be healed enough to ride by Saturday and don't want to end up with new pain. :noway:

I found a lovely quotation from Julia Child: "Small helpings. No seconds. A little bit of everything. And have a good time." (Her philosophy of eating.)

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

Goals
    1. Find a place I can learn to fall without getting hurt once my doctor says it is ok to try.

30881843.png
  • RonFrances8
    RonFrances8 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ugh, All my post didn't print. Congrats to maintaining too! Too much to rewrite, until tomorrow good night all!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Oh such a gorgeous day today. I can't believe we had temps in the 70's in February! I think it is only a one hit wonder though. Going over to friends house tomorrow night. He is another one in the Over the hill gang that does the trios when Charlie does his Karaoke. I enjoy their company but I will mainly go to see if my husband can actually smile. i have offered to keep a diary for him of what he eats and then he is going to have to tell me every time he gets his tomato or grape juice or his very strong chocolate milk. And he is also going to have to relate to me what all this does to his bowels. I have stressed so many times the fiber products I have in the house to see if by using them REGULARLY if they help. He will take them for 2 days and sees no difference in his ulcerative colitis so he quits. He calls his colon General Bowel because it takes over and directs every part of his life. But he refuses to see that there are tools he can use to try to regain some of that control back. He is just totally giving into it. When we go out to eat, I spend most of the time sitting at my table all alone. It is getting mighty old. We went to the store today and he refused to look at any fresh fruits and vegetables to get any kind of decent food. Only thing he bought for himself is a can of mackerel he can put with mustard and eat on crackers. YUCK. Last week he got corn beef hash. He says that is why he takes a multivitamin to make up for his bad diet. There are sometimes at lunch he will fix himself 6 servings of instant mashed potatoes and put a can of cream of mushroom soup over it. And then he complains. Geesh, what is a woman supposed to do.

OK, that's enough about 'dear husband'. I am finally feeling up to par!!!!!! I am not going to push it and go to Sunday school in the morning and just go to the service. I do miss my Sunday school ladies though. We have a lunch every month but this month it was so frigid and icy on the day it was scheduled we didn't have it. I am the youngest and the oldest is 99.

Welcome to all newcomers. I am one of them that was successful, then has reverted back to some of my old habits and gained but I am trying again. I just love these girls and don't know what I would do without them.

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,142 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,641 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Gloria – Baseboards!? Good grief!

Lisa – glad you are still out there. I must admit being a tiny bit jealous of all the “jobs” getting your writing skills instead of us… but realistically we don’t pay well… oh yeah we don’t pay at all LOLOLOLOLOL

KJL – ok I’m laughing with your son, I do not talk to my appliances or meat products….

Heather – great picture! You look young enough to be the mom not grandmom

Becca – I float well too – I grew up in a home with a pool and used to sit in the pool and read a book with nothing helping me float…

Fran – welcome, we are both a group of friends (who mostly have not met except here) and some still loosing or trying to continue to loose and some maintaining… Mostly just accepting that weight lose and life are completely intertwined.

Joyce – glad to have you vent, I brushed it away, the white space is all cleaned up and ready for the next vent.

Spent a day helping my friend with a yard sale, and then had pizza for dinner… OH dear… I will be logging that, and shaking my head at the damage done, but I’m telling you I LOVED every bite.

Kim from N. California
  • scootergirlinpink
    scootergirlinpink Posts: 34 Member
    Options
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Clear day today. I think I have a good chance of seeing actual sunlight! The sun won't shine on ME because it only just crawls above the (virtual) horizon in the south, and the village mountains will be in the way. But I should be able to see sunlight on the peaks to the north.

This is an incredible time of year, when we get 40 more minutes of daylight every day. I'll try to get out in it but that darn to-do list grows new items just as fast as I cross the old ones off.
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Y'all are so amazing, and I'm so glad I have you in my life! Thanks for missing me.

The boy child and wife leave in the morning, and will be so happy/sad to see them go. My husband and I live such quiet lives with each other and don't even realize it until someone comes to stay. And, not to put too fine a point on it, there are few who are invited. Waking up with someone else in the house, even if you don't see them until noon, spins things in some interesting ways.

I've actually held four pounds at bay from these first three weeks of February, and hope to add a couple more to the total by the end of the month--but am pretty much doing nothing but running every other day. My eating habits have been fairly horrible. The fact that I've taken even an ounce off is certainly not due to sticking to an eating plan.

Have an article to write for the paper this morning, and then more scribbling to do, as I've only been able to fit a little bit of the for-money writing around this visit. Hopefully will have some downtime and alone time while I'm spending Monday-Thursday in town, and time to write to y'all. Miss you!

Lisa in windy, but warm, West Texas.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,279 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Family gone. They left at 8.30 am. I've dragged myself through my exercises. Oouufffff! I am, in British speak, knackered.
    A bit anti climatic now. :'( The grandchildren were just gorgeous and their cheerful, excited faces are a real mood booster. Such an appetite for life. :love:
    It was nice to have a proper chat with DS#2 as well, as I normally only see him in passing. They have so much on their plates. They brought back details of some fabulous houses, but it is a huge financial commitment. DDIL is still working, up until a week before the Caesarian. But they need the money coming in as they don't know if DS has a job after March. They now have about 28 people booked in for the Open Day on their own house next weekend. It all makes me dizzy just thinking about it.

I have put one lot of laundry on, but lots more to do. Both the dinners went very well and there are some cold cuts left for our lunch today. I have no idea what to have for dinner, but it could be prawns. I didn't eat too much, with mainly just very small portions, or just a nibble, but on the dinner days I drank a few calories. B) Probably broke even as I used up a few calories just staying on my feet and lifted some weight in the form of DGD!
    Will weigh tomorrow.

Katla - hope your wrist is ok. :flowerforyou:

Love from one happily tired granny in Hampshire, UK
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    The ickys are gone today thank goodness. Taking the boys to see Lucy the dog today. DG#2 still cries some nights for her - just breaks my heart. Still have not found my scale but feel like I have been losing as the my waist on my pants is getting looser. I'm going to walk across the street Monday or go to the Y for an aqua aerobics class and weigh myself.

I thought i had turned on a 3 hr meditation music site on my laptop yesterday to see if it would help me sleep but instead it turned out to be a 9hr one - slept like a baby. I'm going to do this every night from now on!

Have a happy and healthy day everyone and don't forget to smile even if it's forced! raining-hearts.gif

Gloria
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hey Ho! Happy Sunday! The sun has been shining here in West Michigan and the temps the past couple of days have been in the high 40's- low 60's! A big change from a week ago, when we were at a chilly 10 degrees! Most of the snow is gone, the bike paths are clear! I got in a five mile walk and my plantar fasciaitis wasn't aggravated too much! It felt so good to be outside with the sun on my face! I actually spun in circles, arms wide, face to the sun for a bit! Heaven! I walked the boardwalk and pier yesterday and was surprised to see a couple of guys out on their jet-ski's. Jumping waves with their thermal suits on, dodging the still floating chunks of ice! They looked like they were having a ball!
    I hit two minutes planking! Whoot! I think it makes a difference knowing that I can/have done it before hit a five minute plank.

It looks like everyone has been battling some sort of cold or flu; but also looks like we are recovering! "What doesn't kill us..."

Found this video this morning. I am not usually a listener of country music but the lyrics and video to this song are fantastic! Hope I can get it to post. IF not, look it up on youtube! Definitely worth watching/listening!

Tim McGraw - Humble And Kind (Official Video) - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awzNHuGqoMc
    Artist: Tim McGraw
    Album: Damn Country Music
    Released: 2015
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    grits - i'm not getting rid of it because it's taking up too much room, it doesn't take any room actually. it's not rusty at all, it's in mint condition. we aren't selling it, we are donating it back. we are slowly starting to get rid of stuff so we won't be overwhelmed when we do get to the point of moving when we retire. selling the old bug, getting rid of one of his bikes, all part of the slow process.

Pip that is really a nice thing to do - donating the bike back

Lillian
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    kj dont forget to stretch your feet and calves regularly,even if your feet feel fine.

Going to enjoy the warm temps.today and then make my favorite lentil soup for.the week. Have thoroughly rested during this week off and am happy to face work and the most busy season--march to june!

Karen from ny
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Busy weekend ... curling and still working on cleaning out my mom's house. Finally over the flu bug but DH still has his hanging on!! About that - yes DH's have their own ideas on how to cure themselves... they don't seem to like to take their spouses advice - I think that is so their cold can hang on for another week and they can complain about it!! - Good grief just do what I did and get over it!!

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Proud momma of three.... Hubby and I are empty nesters. One out, two away at college. Things are changing, still getting use to this transition in our lives. My mom stays with us half the year she's in her nineties. Yes, my profile picture is of "Brutus the dog" he's my walking buddy. Frances is my first name. This thread seems to be more of a group of friends just talking about their daily lives. Are most of you maintaining or trying to lose? Thanks, Fran from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Fran, I'm one of those who is trying to lose. I lost 132 pounds in about 2 years, but recently regained about 20, so now my new goal is 50 pounds to lose. I live in Pittsburg, too, but it's in Kansas. I bet you are colder there than we are. It's nice that your mom lives with you half the year. Does she live with another sibling the rest of the time? I love Brutus! Is he a boxer? I have a dog named Bruno and one named Spot. Those are mixed breeds. Then one named Molly who is a whippet.

Yes, we are a big bunch of friends who talk about their daily lives. It seems very important to have people in our lives who know us, understand us, and support us as we go about getting healthy. Many of us have never had that before. Everything that touches our lives impacts our weight loss/gain/maintenance. We talk about what we eat and the exercise that we do, but we also talk about the events in our lives and how it makes us feel. We report our successes, and our failures. We laugh and cry together. We root for one another, and dispense kicks to the pants when necessary. We talk about our various illnesses and injuries and the challenges they cause - making exercise difficult. Someone will likely have a suggestion, but everyone will sympathize. Speaking for myself, the ladies on this thread have truly saved my life. No kidding.

Sylvia

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If we saved your life, Sylvia, it's an honor and a privilege :heart:

I just finished another item on my to-do list - a humongous PhD thesis I was editing. It took all of 14 hours work in total, spread over three days. I'm pooped blink.gif And I don't want to hear anything more about implementation of technology-based communication systems into routine clinical practice for a L-O-O-O-NG time.

Now I'll treat myself to a quick break and perhaps a walk down to the post office to pick up Friday's mail. Darkish already (it's 4:30 pm here) but it WAS light for a long time. No direct sunlight, though. Maybe Wednesday? That's the first day the forecast promises sunshine, anyway.
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Kay, I think that thing with husbands asking “cleaning questions” must be something in their DNA! And yes, sometimes we do forget to turn off a light but my DH always has to make a comment about how happy Ready Kilowatt will be. Grrrrr And why any spot on the floor is something I’m supposed to be able to identify, like I purposely put it there? Does DH not think some of the spots could be caused by him? Okay, I’ll stop now but want you to know I feel the same way. He’s lucky I love him or sometimes I might not be so nice about his comments. smiley-devil19.gif

Katla, I’ll bet that fall put a scare in you! So glad you didn’t do more damage to the wrist. I hope your fanny heals before the next ride.

Joyce, I didn’t realize that Charlie’s diet was that screwed up! I knew you said he didn’t eat good foods but good grief. No wonder he can’t get his bowels straightened out. I’m sure it’s not so fun for you to go out to eat with him. I thought of you, actually him, yesterday when DH and I went to lunch. He was having the call often and I sat at the table alone for a while. At least it’s not a normal occurrence for my DH. I really feel for you. ((((Hugs))))

Kim, it’s not like you have pizza often so as long as you enjoyed it and logged it, good for you. That was very nice to help your friend with the garage sale. They can be a lot of work at times.

Lisa, I know what you mean about having guests in the house. Other than my DD it is very disruptive for us to have guests. A friend in FL told me yesterday that she might come to visit for a week this summer. No, she wasn’t invited but I guess she things we are good enough friends to invite herself. She is the one that came last year and invited another friend of ours from Charlotte. That was a 4 day visit so I paid for a 3 bedroom condo on the beach for us to stay in. DH was thrilled to not have them both staying here. I wouldn’t even mind her visit for two or three days but I think a week is too much. I do like her but she is very negative and not the kind of person I want to be around too much. Ok, rant over. Can someone call the broom squad?

Heather, I know you are a happy kind of tired after spending that time with the grands. They are just so, so cute! I do hope the company offers your son a permanent job if it’s something he likes. I’d be a nervous wreck not knowing if I’d have a job in a month.

Gloria, congrats on the loose pants waist, no matter what the scale says. That is great that you found such a healthy sleep aide. You are so right about the smile….it makes the day go better.

Sylvia, you described our group of ladies so well. I feel so strongly about all of you that it made me get a tear in my eye just reading. And it is just amazing how the things that go on in our lives can and do affect our health and our weight.

Penny
    , congrats on finishing that editing job. Gosh I’ll bet some of the things you edit can really be boring. Sending you sunny thoughts and best wishes for crossing more things off that list.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Time to go cut my hair and get my shower. DH and I may go out and run errands this afternoon. I’m making a chicken pot pie for dinner. I rarely cook that but DH loves them so that’s the menu.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC