WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Replies

• joanl9
    joanl9 Posts: 107 Member
    Finally back on track after the holidays, when I gained back half of what I had lost. Joined the Y last week and it has already helped a lot. I am mainly doing beginning yoga and Pilates classes right now as I get back into exercising regularly. It has helped with my sleep, too.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Kate in Alabama
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    I'm up a lb. ~ Could it be all the frenetic eating I have been doing? LOL

Janetr ~ I know you must be sooooo proud of your daughter.

Kim ~ Your dinner sounds wonderful.

Carol
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Secretchef, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you. We also ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific. Come often and join right in.

Lenora, you can find the folding method on line. That is where I learned it and I am loving my drawers.

Heather, as usual, I was a little slow on the uptake when reading your funny, “scary” story. I’m just so impressed that you are learning it. I know your trip will be great.

Rosi, if you find a supply of Fairy Godmothers send one my way. I was laughing to myself yesterday saying I need to join WW, because I love bread. I have no intention of joining WW and know I can eat bread on this journey as long as I log it and it fits in my calorie allotment. I do admit I love fresh bread, cinnamon rolls, homemade cookies and the like. DH is an ice cream fan and I can take it or leave it. With no Fairy Godmother I guess we will just have to do what’s right and eat healthy. I do love being 60 pounds less than I have been for years and years.

Heather, congrats on getting rid of that pesky pound! bounce.gif I’m sure you are right that keeping up with the grands burned extra calories.

Lisa, fantastic weight loss this month. A huge congrats!!!! cheer.gif

Michele NC, when you drove through SC all I saw was your tail lights making a bee line for Florida!  I hope you have a great trip and don’t let the driving thing get to you. (((Hugs)))

Allie
    , so sorry Tom reacted as you expected. He really is one unhappy person. smiley-devil25.gif

Janetr, wow your great nephew had a crowd. Your daughter has done great and you should be proud. Hope you get home as scheduled. (((Hugs)))

Katla, I hope you and DH get to enjoy boating this year. That’s nice he finally got the slip he wanted for his fishing boat. boating-smiley-emoticon.gif

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

The rain has started. I’m laying low today with not much planned. Tomorrow I’ll venture out in the rain to go to line dancing. I didn’t make the chicken pot pie last night as DH had thawed some pork chops that needed cooking, so pot pie for tonight. Gosh I gave myself a good haircut yesterday!!! I always do it the same but it doesn’t always turn out exactly the same.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,045 Member
    Reflections from Dalai Lama experience. As I said He was difficult to hear because of all the ambient noise at the gathering, but I think that was might to be part of it. It is not so much what he said rather how I take the vignettes and start to apply them to my life. Part of the experience was just being in that large group of people and seeing all the wonderful children and the joy on their faces as they walked and crawled. I did notice a young man buried in his I-phone playing a game. I was tempted at the time to say you are not showing respect to the leader of your culture. Then I hear the voice of the Dalai Lama saying he is not ready to listen. When he is ready the teacher will appear. In the Buddhist tradition the sufferings of life are your teachers rather than rail against them and say why me use them as a point for spiritual growth.

For me one of the lessons learned was rather than get all upset that it was difficult to hear him was to still hear him through the noises of life like the crying and moving children, the sound of the beeping security system, and the sound system that had trouble carrying over the noise. In the past I would have let this ruin the whole experience for me. Not this time. This time I heard his message as he sat on his golden throne dressed in the colors of the sun. Compassion, compassion, compassion for yourself, for those you love, and for the world. The world is a noisy place the light of compassion (grace) is there when approached with an open heart.

Namaste,
    Margaret :heart:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,195 Member
    Thank you for relaying his teachings to us, Margaret. I would so love to see him. I hope the feelings he aroused in you will continue to support you in your current trials. <3<3<3 I love the way he giggles. It reminds me of my DGC who I'm missing already. I'm still hearing their little voices and their pattering feet as they run to show us some other wonderful thing they've discovered.

Chorizo and lentil stew for dinner. I only used 1 oz of Puy lentils each and lots of rutabaga and carrot, celery, onions etc. Plus tomato and paprika. I totted it up and it's coming in at 375 calories each. :D I've put in extra potatoes for skinny DH, who has also lost weight over our childminding session, but I won't have those. I usually start off with pancetta, but it's high in calories so I left it out and it still tastes heavenly. :bigsmile: There is a bit of my favourite Manzanilla sherry left from the weekend so I will have my alcohol free day tomorrow.
    Tomorrow is yoga, after our week off for half term, and I an having my hair trimmed in the afternoon. Only about three quarters of an inch as I like it shoulder length.

Love to all, Heather UK
  • Artemis2121
    Artemis2121 Posts: 42 Member
    Hello everyone :-D

• bruggmanlr
    bruggmanlr Posts: 5 Member
    Hello 50+ ladies. I am new to this board and about 53 pages behind. Looking for some support as I am trying to lose weight before my son's graduation cruise in June. I have a real hard time staying focused. Maybe y'all can help.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited February 2016
    Welcome new ladies!

Margaret ... Wonderful insights into the Dalai Lama's message.

Janetr .... Glad to hear your family was well supported during your time of grief.

Alison ... First, you are not spoiled ... Second, you are not out of your mind for wanting to take a well-deserved trip (although I wonder about your mind as you continue to put up Tom). I think I would pack that bag ... He was more considerate when you were not home. So sorry you continue to deal with things like this.

It's 1:30 and I'm still on track for the day. Yay!

Beth
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,940 Member
    When the cat's away, the mice will play! Tee hee hee. The leader of the belly fat breathing stuff was out today with a sick child, so the gal who has lost 80 (now almost 90) lbs led us in a full-body workout. Within our hour of weights, resistance bands, and floor exercises, we also did the four we were supposed to do (leg lifts, lunges, squats, and bridges) and practiced our breathing. But we also did arm exercises with Dumbbells and thigh and bicep exercises with the bands. Then we worked abs with planks, Russian twists, and more. It was great to be back at our regular stuff. I also did 3 miles on the elliptical for some cardio.

I think we're going to need to tell her we've missed our weights when she gets back tomorrow. We were all so happy to be back in our regular routine.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Well here we start a new week. Weigh in was ok, down less then a pound, I need to kick in gear and get the weight to go down. My meeting with the big boss has been moved to Wednesday afternoon. I just want to get it over with.

Enjoyed the movie last night and time spent with another couple. I did think it is sadd when before the movie started they told everyone to make sure they know where all the doors are and to report anyone we think is suspicious. I think it is sad they have to give a message for people to turn off cell phones while the movie is on.

Kim--Hope you have lots of fun at your dinner party tonight, food sounds very good. Love the picture and what an neat idea about the picture bag.

I did go see my friend after work yesterday and she was in better mood. I brought some of her things home and washed them and will take back after work today. I pray she gets stronger so she is able to go home when it's time.

Lenora--I did enjoy the movie and it was not like I expected, but does make you see things from another stand point. They showed one that is coming out next month called Mircle from Heaven and I would like to see that one.I am glad I went. All I had was a diet pop and proud of myself for passing on the popcorn.

Janetr--Sending hugs!! I hope your flight home is on time and you can relax. You have every right to be proud of your DD, sounds like she has been working hard.

Well ladies take care of take this one step at a time.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    Happy Monday! I didn't sleep well last night so I got a late start. First thing I did was to paint all of the base boards that we routered yesterday. I will have to give them another coat after I finish my breakfast. I got in my full body weight training workout! I am feeling pretty energetic now so after I paint the second coat I will take Shep for a long walk. My goals for today are to move more, drink more water and eat more protein!

Stronglifts Workout

Squats-1X5X 95/105/115, 5X5X 125
    Sumo squats-5X5X 110
    BP-1X5X 65/70/75, 5X5X 80
    0HP-1X5X 45/50/55, 5X5X 60
    BR-5X5X 85
    DL-135

It was workout A today but I decided to only deload on the DL because I felt strong enough to work with Max weight on the other lifts.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    JanitDamit - I went by BAM this morning and bought the counterpart to the first book about 'tidying' up. This one shows the actual way to fold things.

Vicki - I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. I can't wait until it comes out on DVD. Our bank is changing all the account numbers for those of us who have been banking there, forever; so now DH has to do some of the things he wanted me to do, because they are in 'his name'. Ggrrrr! That's his comment, not mine.

Lenora
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    brought up the subject about the trip to nashville, and suspected he had a bird, told me im spoiled and out of my mind.... I told him I have never EVER said a word about you going to Florida twice a year, and anything about buying a brand new car that I co-signed for..
    said to him have you ever heard the term happy wife happy life? no wonder your miserable....
    think i will pack a bag and not come home tonight.

Tom sure is a prickly pear >:) You are amazing in that you never just lose composure or your temper. I would have dropped some dishes on the floor and after the huge crash said to him, "What was that you were saying again my dear?" :D That certainly gets my DH attention. Don't give up on your trip. Remember that you deservethat trip and so much more. Take care of yourself and stay strong and he will not have the power to keep you emotionally down and physically in the house. Sending hugs and lots of love to you.

<3 Rosie in So Cal
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,748 Member
    bwcetc wrote: »

It's 1:30 and I'm still on track for the day. Yay!

Beth

Just forget this part .... Sigh
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Happy Monday ! ! !

I’m jumping to the end again, because it has been a typical weekend again.

Allison – More Hugs and Prayers ! ! ! Some men don’t get it until hit upside the head with a 2x4. Take Care of You ! ! !

Janetr – congrats to your successful DD. // So sadly wonderful for your nephews memorial service. Hugs and Prayers for you and all his loved ones !

Margaret
    – Beautiful, insightful, and caring. Thanks for sharing ! ! !

Sorry for everyone I missed. I will attempt to go back and read, but I don’t hold my breath thinking I will ever catch-up. I hope you all know I think of you daily !

I had quite a revelation after DS’s bowling tournament on Saturday. He and a friend were on the same lanes, and both struggling. DS wouldn’t listen to DH (typical for him), but the friend did listen. While DH was coaching “Charlie”, the other coach’s son got upset because he thought his dad should be coaching Charlie, not my DH. Well, that used to make me upset, because the dad is nowhere near the bowler or coach that my DH is. Then I realized, it’s not that they are mean or vindictive. They don’t understand good sportsmanship. That boy didn’t want anyone coaching another person he was bowling again, because he was struggling too. Kids who show good sportsmanship would say “if I can’t win, I hope my friend wins”. Now I feel sad for that boy, because he probably has been and will continue to be ostracized for his bad attitude. Teamwork and sportsmanship will be the first thing I teach all the boys next year ! ! !

Last week I was bad about cheating, but successful over the weekend, so I put up some of the new stickers I ordered. I also ordered a new tiara (for Reno) and some “magic wands” (for work). Tonight I hope to find a new skort at Kohl’s, so I can start packing for next week Tuesday. My massage is scheduled for next week Thursday afternoon. The Website makes the spa look amazing, so I will probably go a few hours early, to bathe in the beauty and tranquility of the facility (and some extra water and/or whatever beverages they offer).

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    So, I have been feeling rather invisible on this board. (Not entirely, I have had a few responses.) I posted a response to Margaret's description of her Dalai Lama experience earlier today and it happened to be the first response after her post. Just now, when I got into the thread, I noticed that it is no longer there. I thought maybe it moved down, but it seems to be completely gone. There was nothing that could possibly be construed as offensive in my post - it was merely a congratulatory statement. My question is, did someone (have the power to) delete my post? And if so, why? If not, then what can explain its disappearance? I assure you, I am sane and rational, and confused by this.

Thanks,
    Kristan
    Part of the group?
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Sorry you feel that your post disappeared. I have read a lot of people off and on saying their post went "poof." I'm sure no one took your post the wrong way.

Anyhow, welcome and keep on posting.

I love your name ~ TheRealMsWolf. Can you share how you came up with that?

Carol
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited February 2016
    Kristan - I don't think there is any way for someone else to delete your posts. If so, they would have 'blackballed' me a long time ago. ... Just kidding! Quite often I will put my fingers into motion before I put my mind into gear. Just keep on posting and as soon as people get to know you when you start remarking on their posts they will start posting back. There are a few ladies that have been on this thread for a few years ... they know one another like old friends and sometimes it is difficult for those of us who are newer to break into their conversations. Just keep on posting. Asking for advice, making whatever comments you want to, this is a thread that is meant to be encouraging and supportive and for the most part, it is. Did you bookmark the page when you got here? To do so; click on the 'outline' of the star in the upper right-hand corner; and it will turn yellow. The next time you come back click on the site; just click the gray star between the bell and the gear; and there will be a drop down list, click on the current month and it will take you back to the place you last posted. Sometimes we don't have anything to say and we might put a 'smiley' face in the next block so that it will take us to that point of last posting. Every last day of the month Barbiecat will post a link that will take you to the next month and all you have to do is go through the bookmarking the page again. You'll get the hang of it, don't give up! And, yes, you are a part of the group.

If you have not done so already, tell us a little about yourself, such as what you prefer to be called, where you live, (general or specific), marital status, children/grandchildren; what your hobbies are; what your goals are and even where you need help or encouragement. Don't give up! Some of us are not 'sane', sometimes we're not rational, and lots of times we are all confused.

Lenora
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited February 2016
    Kristan I also read your response and it was a sweet response. I am with Peach, some posts just go poof, I know I have had a couple that have. Just got lost in cyberland.

My sister that lives here in Evansville with me. Well she is my only sister. about 10 years ago she had a very aggresive breast cancer removed, went through a year of chemo after said breast removed and has been cancer free since. She noticed what looked like a blood blister in her belly and had it removed. Her doctor had her come in today and it is malignant. So she now has to wait a couple of weeks to see the same surgeon who did her breast surgery. He is out of town for a week then booked up for 2 weeks, so it is several weeks. I asked her if she felt comfortable in waiting that long. She wants to wait because of how much she trusts this guy. He prayed with her inn his office and in surgery before she was put under. I just hope she isn't making a mistake. We are devestated. She has so many physical problems, mainly in mobility because of bad knees, feet and ankles. She also has many compression problems up and down her spine and fibromyalgia. Just this last year she has enjoyed independence when they bout a new mobility van for her scooter.

I have now got quite a few of my previously used sites downloaded on my new Windows 10. Luckily enough the usernames and passwords I had written down are still current and correct. Only problem is when I bookmark things to my tool bar I don't have a book marks bar. I know it some simple step I have missed It's just I haven't figured it out yet. I just hope it makes my computer faster. update, I found it!

Joyce, Indiana
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Beth the witching hour for me is 4:00, beware any food that isn't nailed down....unless I frontload protein, like some walnuts or something that takes time to eat...if I do this, 4:00 rolls by and I don't overdo it!

Had a very constructive day at work after a week off, boy a good rest goes a long way :) Made a plan for to dos and food, errands and exercise and stuck to it hooray....(okay stop tooting horn) I know full well that I tend to lapse later in the week so I've just got to pace myself.

Food planning.....food planning......food planning............

Karen from NY