Diet Coke vs Water??-- 0 cals vs 0 cals

Options

Replies

• candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have found that after a long time without it ... it gives me gas. I know gross. I will only drink it if it is a mixer.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Calories may be the same. BUT that diet soda WILL trick your brain into making insulin (due to sweetness) and, of course, contribute to weight gain. That's only the tip of the iceberg of issues I have with diet sodas :/

Check out that documentary "Fed Up". As cheesy as this sounds, it changed my life!

That's a mockumentary that has been debunked by the science community. It preys on people who don't follow up with research on their so called "facts".

And your first paragraph is just flat out wrong.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Water, carbonation, caramel coloring, sweeteners(sodium cyclamate, Ace K, aspartame), phosphoric acid, caffeine, natural flavors.

Anyone who can point out what of those things is somehow bad for you and how with proper sources for any claims may speak now or forever hold their silence.

http://www.jhsph.edu/research/centers-and-institutes/johns-hopkins-center-for-a-livable-future/news-room/News-Releases/2015/Caramel-Color-in-Soft-Drinks-and-Exposure-to-4-Methylimidazole.html

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0118138

I posted this earlier. In the interests of fairness I will state that according to this study, the "caramel colouring" might be an issue. However, it's in regular soda too, and reading the abstract shows that different sodas contain wildly differing quantities of the problematic substance (4-Methylimidazole). Plus, of course, it's only the one study as far as I'm aware and there's no federal limit on it in the US either. For the record, I very much enjoy a Coke Zero once in a while and I don't plan to change my habits based on this.

I drink tap water, live in a city of a million people with plenty of pollution, use hormonal birth control, sometimes spend a few minutes hanging out outside with smokers, fly in commercial aircraft, and occasionally indulge in processed meat products. A few diet colas, 4-MEI or no, are unlikely to be riskier from a cancer perspective than my lifestyle already is so at some point you just have to shrug and focus your energy on the big stuff in my opinion. I'm not interested in living in a bubble, so I mitigate my risks where I can (keep my weight normal, exercise, wear sunblock, don't smoke, don't drink to excess, etc etc.) and understand that there is a slim chance the radiation from taking a couple vacations a year or the carcinogens in bacon are going to make me sick.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    hhtafran wrote: »
    Then why did they Just take Aspartame out of Pepsi

Because people like you exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_burn_centers_in_the_United_States

You might be needing this, @hhtafran
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    candacet36 wrote: »
    I have found that after a long time without it ... it gives me gas. I know gross. I will only drink it if it is a mixer.

See and I see that as a reason to never stop drinking it...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Calories may be the same. BUT that diet soda WILL trick your brain into making insulin (due to sweetness) and, of course, contribute to weight gain. That's only the tip of the iceberg of issues I have with diet sodas :/

Check out that documentary "Fed Up". As cheesy as this sounds, it changed my life!

https://examine.com/faq/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin/
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Comparing calories to calories = 0 it's all the same. Just don't do too much googling on the artificial sweetener in the Diet Coke. That will scare you.

There's a lot of fearmongering on the Googles.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

I guess we have to put this on every page.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    <sigh>
    This thread is like some evil version of "Groundhog Day".
    It depresses me that so many people would rather let random fake experts on the interwebs scare them on a daily basis than take some time to understand how the scientific process works.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    <sigh>
    This thread is like some evil version of "Groundhog Day".
    It depresses me that so many people would rather let random fake experts on the interwebs scare them on a daily basis than take some time to understand how the scientific process works.

101084-You-really-think-someone-would-HYhM.gif
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    ald783 wrote: »
    For calorie counting purposes I count them both as 0, but I don't count soda towards my water intake. I feel pretty confident saying that the two clearly do not have the same effect on your body, but everything in moderation and all that. I drink diet soda a couple of times a week. In a perfect world I'd drink it less but my diet is far from perfect.

What "different effects" do you imagine they have (apart from caffeine)

I get bad heart burn when I drink too much soda. I used to sometimes get it from other things but diet soda was by far the biggest individual culprit. It also makes me sluggish and I always want to kick myself when I drink too much of it when I'm going to the gym later.

I'm sure all artificial sweeteners have some problematic effects and I know it wouldn't kill me to stop putting Splenda in my coffee. But I think with soda it's more about the acid or carbonation because I don't have the same problem with Splenda or sweeteners in other situations that I've had with diet soda.

That said... I still drink it sometimes. I'm not disciplined or motivated enough to really be good at the whole clean eating thing.

If something gives you heartburn, then it's probably best for you if you avoid it. That doesn't mean that it's bad for someone else.

Absolutely, I'm just stating the obvious that diet soda is not the same as water which is really kind of how this thread started.

I love all of the scientists on both sides of the argument in this thread. Some real brilliant minds up in this place. :neutral:
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Here is a fact...it is NOT the same as water and not good for you if consumed in mass quantities. Like everything else. Enjoy one once in a while. The choice is really yours. I like mine with Vodka!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    candacet36 wrote: »
    Here is a fact...it is NOT the same as water and not good for you if consumed in mass quantities. Like everything else. Enjoy one once in a while. The choice is really yours. I like mine with Vodka!

Water isn't good consumed in mass quantities either.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »

Mainstream media interpretation of rat studies. Right.

go look up the science yourself then, it is reasonably well established that gut biota are affected by artificial sweeteners. Here just for instance http://genie.weizmann.ac.il/pubs/2014_nature.pdf

Obviously you like your artificial sweeteners, so go for it. Just pointing out that water and diet coke is not the same thing, and posting proof as to why.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

go look up the science yourself then, it is reasonably well established that gut biota are affected by artificial sweeteners. Here just for instance http://genie.weizmann.ac.il/pubs/2014_nature.pdf

Obviously you like your artificial sweeteners, so go for it. Just pointing out that water and diet coke is not the same thing, and posting proof as to why.

Did someone actually say that diet coke and water are the same thing? They said they both have essentially zero calories, and that there is nothing wrong with drinking diet coke in moderation. I'm not sure I saw anyone say that diet coke and water are the same substance.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Well, I mean...diet soda is like 98% water. They're both hydrating. So they really are almost the same thing.

:wink:
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Rats given saccharine. Do you know why they used saccharine? Because in previous studies it was the only sweetener to have an effect.

And yet they generalize it to all artificial sweeteners.
  • MTDDS18
    MTDDS18 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes. However, if I go a long time without diet soda, and then I drink it, I retain water like crazy. I don't know why.

Sodium? 40mg per can. Doesn't seem like a lot, but maybe enough to throw off your particular levels?

ETA: OP - as long as your calorie count doesn't increase, it won't matter from a weight loss perspective. I'm sure your dentist would probably have a good argument for water instead of diet soda.

Meh, we were taught my first year in dental school to BEG patients to switch from juice/sports drinks/ regular soda to diet pop. There's no sugar in it, so no carbohydrates for the bacteria to turn into acid. Sure it's a little acidic, but coupled with good saliva flow and fluoride toothpaste, the acid challenge of a diet soda is really minimal.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Did someone actually say that diet coke and water are the same thing? They said they both have essentially zero calories, and that there is nothing wrong with drinking diet coke in moderation. I'm not sure I saw anyone say that diet coke and water are the same substance.

How dare you inject common sense and context into a thread full of quackery, scaremongering and pseudoscience!

:trollface:
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    MTDDS18 wrote: »
    Yes. However, if I go a long time without diet soda, and then I drink it, I retain water like crazy. I don't know why.

Sodium? 40mg per can. Doesn't seem like a lot, but maybe enough to throw off your particular levels?

ETA: OP - as long as your calorie count doesn't increase, it won't matter from a weight loss perspective. I'm sure your dentist would probably have a good argument for water instead of diet soda.

Meh, we were taught my first year in dental school to BEG patients to switch from juice/sports drinks/ regular soda to diet pop. There's no sugar in it, so no carbohydrates for the bacteria to turn into acid. Sure it's a little acidic, but coupled with good saliva flow and fluoride toothpaste, the acid challenge of a diet soda is really minimal.

Yeah, that makes sense, but water is still better than the diet soda, right?
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Both zero calories but Diet Coke has a bit of sodium, chemicals and caffeine.

They are not the same.