4min plank

Options

Replies

• squeekecho262
    squeekecho262 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Had a horrible day yesterday! At school for most of the day, and fell asleep when i got home. lol. no planks for me... back on track today...

Day 3: 0.30: 0.00 :(
    Day 4 0.30: 2x 0.30! take that university! and sleep!

Oooh ouch!!! Feel the burn! Hahahaa nice!
  • squeekecho262
    Options
    Day 4
    0:30 - 0:30!!
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Ladies and gentlemen, just a reminder... tomorrow marks day 5 of the plank challenge for those who started on the 20th... and we will be moving up to a 40 second plank! For anyone who has joined later, or wants to join now, we are following the schedule outlined here: http://healthtipssource.com/2015/06/06/one-exercise-4-minutes-28-days-a-new-body/ (yes i know there's a typo!)

Great work so far, for everyone who has been keeping on... It is definitely motivation for me to see you all logging your participation!

Happy Trails!
  • CassidyScaglione
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Ok.. I'll admit.. I'm a newbie at MFP.. but I have to ask.. when you guys say. "Day 1 0.20 : 0.20" why put the "0.20" twice? I'm sorry, I just got confused.

Great job so far!!!
    @nmannette575
    The first 20 is the time you should be doing... the second is what you've accomplished (some people fall down, etc) not really an issue yet... but as we move higher it probably will be....
  • nmannette575
    nmannette575 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ok.. I'll admit.. I'm a newbie at MFP.. but I have to ask.. when you guys say. "Day 1 0.20 : 0.20" why put the "0.20" twice? I'm sorry, I just got confused.

Great job so far!!!
    @nmannette575
    The first 20 is the time you should be doing... the second is what you've accomplished (some people fall down, etc) not really an issue yet... but as we move higher it probably will be....

Yes thank you.. this is definitely a challenge :)
  • squeekecho262
    Options
    Thanks for starting this Cassidy :)
  • CassidyScaglione
    Options
    40 second planks people! Let's go! Tomorrow is even a rest day, so punch it!!
  • idupack
    idupack Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Day 5: 0:40 - 0:40

Everyone on Day 5 enjoy the day off tomorrow!
  • nmannette575
    nmannette575 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Day 5 .40 : .40 done!!!! Great job!!! Enjoy rest day tomorrow!!!
  • NASAwife13
    NASAwife13 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am doing a similar challenge with the gym I go to. We are up to 2min and 15 sec....I can only get to a minute but everyday is a bit easier.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Question: what is the purpose of a 4 minute plank? Part of doing exercise is it's actual purpose in your journey.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ironbag
    ironbag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I just now saw this and will start tomorrow
    .thanks for the idea:)
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I wanna play !
    lol
    K starting today !
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I think I could be in for this. I'm way too busy, it's been I think more than a month since I've made it to the gym even. But this is something I could do at home in just a few minutes, so... I suppose I could jump in at day 5 starting tonight (I'm certain 40s is no issue for me as last time I was at the gym, despite being awhile ago, I did wobbly elevated plank for 60s).

@ninerbuff I'm hoping to improve core / ab strength. Maybe that is a good strategy and maybe not... this is an area where you have more expertise than I do, so what do you think will be a benefit from such an exercise?
  • squeekecho262
    Options
    This exercise is great for the core and arms. Tightens the area... With no pressure on the spine from bending it with crunches n such :)
  • squeekecho262
    Options
    Day 5 0:40 - 0:40!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    @ninerbuff I'm hoping to improve core / ab strength. Maybe that is a good strategy and maybe not... this is an area where you have more expertise than I do, so what do you think will be a benefit from such an exercise?
    The ability to do a plank more than 1 minute works on muscle endurance and not strength (unless of course one is piling weight on their back progressively). So doing a 4 minute plank basically shows one has the muscular endurance to do a 4 minute plank.
    Those other 3 minutes after 1 minute of planking can be utilized to do a couple of other core strengthening exercises like leg raises or Russian twists.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    This exercise is great for the core and arms. Tightens the area... With no pressure on the spine from bending it with crunches n such :)
    If one is getting pressure on the spine from doing crunches, then they are doing them wrong.
    Planks have their place, but for some reason there's this fad of doing planks for minutes on in and expecting the same results as actually training core and arms directly.
    If it's for a personal challenge (like a marathon), okay I get it. But running a marathon doesn't necessarily equate to increasing leg strength.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • CassidyScaglione
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If it's for a personal challenge (like a marathon), okay I get it. But running a marathon doesn't necessarily equate to increasing leg strength.

Well then, since this is on the Challenge forum, and not on the Exercise and Fitness forum, I'm not sure why you are here being discouraging. Go and start your own challenge where people crunch and twist of you like.
  • jacquibance
    jacquibance Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    does any one know if you can actually do this wrong. I know it sounds like a daft question but if your body is lower to the ground is that good or bad