having gastric bypass surgery in September

Options
14567810»

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    It's essentially mandated portion control.

Except there are a few other things going on. There are changes in ghrelin production for instance, and for many type 2 diabetics, a nearly instant remission of symptoms that cannot be explained by weight loss alone. There's something in the way the body takes in food that is changed, that is not yet completely understood.

Except in case after case, without proper education regarding maintenance, patients regain weight and can revert to prediabetic and diabetic status.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    first off, I wish you the best of luck. ultimately, everyone on here wants to truly see others reach their health goals. I was 314 at my heaviest. It was devastating seeing that number. Knowing I had over 120 pounds to lose to even be close to a "healthy" weight for my height.. it was daunting. But I really wish you would take the time to reconsider this. It can be done 100% naturally without any surgery. I was like you once and tried every diet under the sun with no success. It all comes down to calories in vs calories out. based on your weight, you naturally burn x amount of calories per day just from daily functions. MFP has all the research done for you- you just put in your height and weight and it gives you x number of calories to eat per day and you don't go over it. Your body does the rest of the work. You don't even have to exercise- I didn't exercise the first 3 or 4 weeks of starting this and I still lost 2 pounds (sometimes more) every week. I am not trying to be rude or tell you what you are doing is wrong. I know you've done your research, but I also know, if you would do it on this site, you would see it's really easy. Yeah, it might take a little longer to get to your goal weight but you will lose the weight a healthier way and you wont have any doctor bills or possible health complications. Whatever you chose, I truly do wish you the best of luck. I'm adding you so I can see the progress you make in the future! :)
  • Gina2xoxo
    Gina2xoxo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    rny91415 wrote: »
    To all the ones on this post who are just saying negative things you can leave... i am doing this for me. Yes it is a long a hard road basically im starting out eating as if i was a baby learning tp eat again and having a healthy relationship with food. I do plan on seeing a therapist and possibly a nutritionist after. I have known a lot of people with success but also a lot with regain. This is a TOOL not a fix. Im excited but nervous as this is my first surgery. And i am not a child i have done so much research and planning it would makd your head spin. And to the others giving great advice and support thank you :)

I am disappointed you didn't get more support. It is your life and your choice. Please come back as you learn to eat healthy and let us cheer your successes. It isn't easy no matter how you choose to do it. Best of luck to you.
  • Gina2xoxo
    Gina2xoxo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    So you would rather risk death from major surgery (which is a very real possibility from anesthesia, the surgery itself, malnutrition after the fact) than try to adhere to a calorie deficit and see if that leads to more reasonable weight loss?

Gastric bypass is supposed to be a last resort, usually for those with multiple comorbidities who are at risk of death in the near future from their weight, not an alternative to putting in the hard work/lack of determination to stick with something long term.

I had the sleeve surgery almost two years ago. I have lost over 200 lbs. It saved my life. I actually haven't even heard of anyone dying from having the surgery but I have sure heard of people dying without it. Complications can happen with any surgery. People die from every day surgeries every day but they still take that risk if it means that the surgery will improve their health or situation.

Part of my success is that before I ever considered surgery, I started therapy, which I have continued throughout the process, to make sure my head was in the right place. I also made lifestyle changes, and now I work out regularly and have a trainer.

It's true that some people think surgery is like a magic pill and will change everything, and those people probably won't see much success, but for people who use surgery as a tool rather than a crutch will see great results.

Could I have lost the weight without surgery? Maybe. I have lost 100s of lbs during my lifetime. Maybe was not good enough for me so I chose to take my health into my own hands, and now, I have great health and a great quality of life. I would do it all over again.

Congratulations! I am so happy for you! We all have our own paths and how we get to our health goals isn't as important as getting there.

• Nixygirl
    Nixygirl Posts: 35 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Gastric band is a cheat way out and won't help you deal with your issues. A lot of people gain the weight back when the band stretches.

People saying that WLS is 'cheating', or saying 'it's the easy way out' really need to get informed. It's no magic pill and still requires exactly the same amount of dieting/lifestyle changes that losing weight without surgery does.

It does help for those who binge, being that they can no longer do that anymore. And it also prevents you from over eating. You can stretch your stomach back out, but you'd have to be pretty stupid to do that.

I'm getting WLS in a few months myself. Previously, I've lost 220lbs by myself a decade ago, which was only half of the 450lbs I needed to lose. I'd started out weighing almost 600lbs. Unfortunately one week I put on a cpl of pounds and was so discouraged by it that I stopped seeing my dietition and went back to my old ways. I've now put almost of that weight back on.

A month ago I began dieting in prep for the surgery and have lost 45lbs in that time (from 540 to 495). I've been saving for 2-years to pay for this surgery and have had many friends who have had it with great success. WLS is a TOOL, it helps but it doesn't do the work for you, that's still on you!

For those who think its 'cheating', saying things like that is really discouraging and negates the work those ppl have done to lose weight. There's plenty of stories of WLS failing isn't there, so how is it cheating if ppl can still put weight back on? You have to work to keep it off, and work to lose it – with or without the surgery. The only difference is with WLS the weight drops off you a little faster.
  • crownings1
    crownings1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did it! 8 years ago 116 pounds later! It's not easy at all! One of the hardest things I have ever done. But, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I dieted since I was 12 years old. Lost probably 500 pounds over the years but my metabolism would not allow me to keep it off unless I was eating 800 calories a day! If any of you have tried that you know you stay pretty hungry all the time. with the surgery I'm not hungry all the time and my weight doesn't go up and down all the time. Good luck! Do Not Ever eat sugar!!! Those people that I know that it did not work went back to eating sugar!!!
  • CasseyBee
    CasseyBee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Honey! I recently had WLS I did the band though....listen you do what's right for you! everyone will have their opinions positive or negative. No one knows your journey but you. I too am 5'1 and was pushing 275lbs and making my decision for me turned out to be the best thing for me. I am currently 219lbs and counting...Therapy is definitely suggested as it helps with the emotional and mental part of this journey. People may feel that having the surgery is an easy way out, but it isn't. You still have to put in the same work as the rest of them. It is really up to each individual dedication and commitment to the process. Ask yourself are you ready for the commitment to investing in yourself? If the answer is YES, then you will do just fine! There is no sugar-coating! It will be tough! There will days when you want to give up just as if you were doing it on "your own" but your strength will come through! I wish you all the best in this time! Blessings!!!
  • crownings1
    crownings1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also, When I had the surgery, one of the stipulations was to see a therapist!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Nixygirl wrote: »
    Gastric band is a cheat way out and won't help you deal with your issues. A lot of people gain the weight back when the band stretches.

People saying that WLS is 'cheating', or saying 'it's the easy way out' really need to get informed. It's no magic pill and still requires exactly the same amount of dieting/lifestyle changes that losing weight without surgery does.

It does help for those who binge, being that they can no longer do that anymore. And it also prevents you from over eating. You can stretch your stomach back out, but you'd have to be pretty stupid to do that.

I'm getting WLS in a few months myself. Previously, I've lost 220lbs by myself a decade ago, which was only half of the 450lbs I needed to lose. I'd started out weighing almost 600lbs. Unfortunately one week I put on a cpl of pounds and was so discouraged by it that I stopped seeing my dietition and went back to my old ways. I've now put almost of that weight back on.

A month ago I began dieting in prep for the surgery and have lost 45lbs in that time (from 540 to 495). I've been saving for 2-years to pay for this surgery and have had many friends who have had it with great success. WLS is a TOOL, it helps but it doesn't do the work for you, that's still on you!

For those who think its 'cheating', saying things like that is really discouraging and negates the work those ppl have done to lose weight. There's plenty of stories of WLS failing isn't there, so how is it cheating if ppl can still put weight back on? You have to work to keep it off, and work to lose it – with or without the surgery. The only difference is with WLS the weight drops off you a little faster.

Oh good. People who stretch out their stomachs again are stupid. I'm glad we cleared that up.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I know it is rare, but I lost a friend who died on the table. Another friend had complications and almost died following surgery. GB was also suggested to me, but when I asked about success rate the DR admitted it was not good as a permanent solution. I have seen many go back to previous way of eating and gain the weight back. It needs to be a lifestyle change. You may as well start the change now, postpone the surgery, count the calories, and lose the weight the same way you put it one. One calorie at a time. You are too
    young for a major elective surgery.
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a family member who had GB. She did lose weight but her relationship with food is still very disfunctional. She doesn't nourish her body and has been in the hospital after passing out. She survives (somehow) on coffee drinks, protein shakes, sweets and snacking on chips/crackers.

Bottom line, you have to heal your relationship with food.
  • lovinglifemore
    lovinglifemore Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For all those who say it can be done naturally, I lost 30 pounds through my fitnesspal and exercise a few years ago, so yes, for some of us some weight can be lost this way and for some (very focused, dedicated and genetically blessed) others can lose most or all of their excess weight. We have all heard that keeping weight off is very tough. I've been dealing with pre-diabetes and full blown diabetes for 20 years and a very underactive thyroid (taking one of the highest doses) for 15 years. Passed down through genes on both sides of my family. At 320lbs I've been told I will only lose 65-100 pounds total from having WLS and may never come off some diabetes meds. I have never been interested in how I look (I might even look worse after WLS). I'm sure the change in eating will be difficult. For me this decision is strictly about preserving some vital organ function and hopefully a few extra decent years on my life. I have 3 kids, one with a long term disability and all I care about is making sure I'm around as long as possible to make sure he is secure. I am working on the part I played which in hindsight is also related to genetics or family history (ADD/executive funtion/PTSD and depression issues). The reason that some people get the way I am can be extremely complex if you look beyond the surface. I've been attending all the required appointments and because my sugar is too high, they will not book me to see the surgeon until I have managed to get it down. This is a blessing in disguise. They have worked with me on strategies, given me my prescriptions, dieticians and plans. But I am really looking forward to seeing the occupational therapist to help me with some of the invisible struggles of prioritizing, planning, executing a plan and budgeting. I agree you have to figure out what your relationship is with food. I read an excellent book called "Fat is a Family Affair" which I would recommend for anyone who is going to have surgery. Although I'm not addicted to food, I did learn something very important...why being fat was "working" for me, how I medicated myself with food at times and how to get out of that way of thinking. I really think people need to do some soul searching because for someone like me who loves fruits and veggies, buys them (but they sometimes go to waste) and hardly ever touch the kids snacks or buy junk, I should be much healthier aside from the genes I cannot change. Figure out why you are the way you are, take a good look at yourself now and in the past, what roles did your family and friends play, what choices did you make? what is working for you or against you genetically, what are your strengths and weaknesses that will help or hinder you in terms of WLS and is this surgery a tool that you are going to use properly? How will your relationship with food and others change after surgery? Wishing everyone on the weight loss and health attainment journey much success :)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @jgnatca is one of those people who has been motivated to make lifestyle changes, which is why she's so successful. However, it has been my perception she's more the exception than the rule.

This is where the (vocal) internet gives skewed results. The success rate is more like 45% of post-bariatric patients are successful over the long term. And most experience years of improved health outcomes.

I was entered in to a program here in Canada that works hard to improve outcomes by providing the counselling and education to assure success. Patients who may be poor candidates are screened from the program.

I have had results similar to that of jgnatca. It's a tough decision and not one to be taken lightly. I'll be 4 years out in March, and have lost ( and maintained) around 140 lbs.

I can now run 10 miles. I can drink however much water I need, and eat just a bit less than most people. This was a tool to help save my life and I'd never go back.

I do take vitamins, but since I've always been anemic, I had to before surgery anyway.