Daily Healthy Habits Challenge-FEBRUARY

Options

Replies

• newbie2143
    newbie2143 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    @CaptainBoing, good luck in the competition, it sounds like you are well prepared!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Date: Sunday 21 Feb

Exercise minutes: Rest day, just a casual stroll along the beach with friends under the moonlight
    Stayed under calorie goal: Within my zone even though I caved and had KFC for supper. Only did burger, because they had no ice-cream. Nearly went to get a McFlurry but resisted.
    Other healthy habits to focus on: low carb! NO...

Goal weight for 28 Feb competition: Under 68 kgs
    Current weight on 18 Feb : 67.6 WooHoo that is comp weight! Now to just maintain...

Current struggles: Need to stay strict with my diet to stay in the zone. My glutes ache from yesterday's drills!

Current strengths: I have done all the prep I can, now I just relax this week and do some light low intensity for a few days and focus on the mental aspect!
  • Dory_42
    Options
    newbie2143 wrote: »
    @CaptainBoing, good luck in the competition, it sounds like you are well prepared!

Thank you!
  • bellew62802
    bellew62802 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Date: 2/21
    Vitamins/ Meds: Yes
    Water (8+): No
    Exercise time: Rest day because my day started at 1:30 a.m. with grandson.

Goal weight for 3/1: 168
    Current weight: 170
    Stayed under calorie goal: yes

Current struggles:
    Sleep
    Current Strengths:
    There is always tonight...
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Date: Sunday 21 Feb

Exercise minutes: 5 hours beach sampling and 75 min light bjj
    Stayed under calorie goal: Right where I want to be
    Other healthy habits to focus on: low carb! YES!

Current weight on 18 Feb : 67.6 WooHoo that is comp weight! Now to just maintain...

Current struggles: Need to stay strict with my diet to stay in the zone.

Current strengths: I have done all the prep I can, now I just relax this week and do some light low intensity for a few days and focus on the mental aspect!
  • bellew62802
    Options
    Date: 2/22
    Water (8+): Yes
    Exercise time: 45 minutes ellipticsl and 60 minutes heavy duty house cleaning.

Current weight: 169.8 (So excited!)
    Stayed under calorie goal: Yes

Current struggles: Keeping up with getting a full night's sleep

Current Strengths: Got a good night's sleep last night. Shooting for the moon tonight!

@CaptainBoing, you sure sound very ready for your competition. Wishing you the best!
  • alp_19
    alp_19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to this challenge but I desperately need something to get me through the next week. I've hit a pretty bad low.

Date: 2/22
    Vitamin: Yes
    Exercise calories burned: None today
    Stayed under calorie goal: No. I was fine until after dinner, and then I probably doubled my calorie intake with snacking.
    Other healthy habits to focus on: Two things: tracking every day and cutting down on sugar. If I can stay below 50g of sugar each day for the next week I'll be thrilled.

Weight: I'm at school and don't have a scale here.

Current struggles: Binge eating and snacking are out of control. I've been working non-stop lately and it makes me think about food even more, until it's like a compulsion that I can't get out of my mind. I also haven't been balancing the bad days with good ones like I normally do.

Current strengths: Weight lifting is still something I enjoy and I've been mostly sticking with. I've been doing better during my actual meal times (just not between and at night).
  • newbie2143
    Options
    Hi everyone, just checking in to say I haven't disappeared, but I'm finding it way too hard to track everything on vacation. Tomorrow I head home, so I will be back on track (and posting) Thursday. Likely not going to make my 3/1 goal wt., but that's OK, it just means it will take me a bit longer to get to my ultimate goal weight and I know this time I'm going to do it! Having a great time in Southern California, back to the great white north tomorrow!

@bellew62802 - good job, so close to your weight goal, you will make it by 3/1 for sure!
    @alp_19, Welcome, and hang in there... I overcame out of control snacking (after work was my bad time of the day), and so can you! For me a key was to figure out what the "trigger" was... I figured out I had developed an association between coming home and eating. As soon as I walked through that door, I treated myself to food, even though I wasn't hungry and supper was only an hour away. I still have "avoid afternoon snack" as one of my healthy habits to report on, to keep myself honest.
  • bellew62802
    Options
    Date: 2/23
    Exercise time::120 minutes outdoor playing ball, walking, play running and scooting along on my grandsons little car...of course with him. What would the neighbors say if I were out there all by myself! Lol!

Current weight: 169

Current struggles: Getting in my "real" exercise time. Seems that is becoming more difficult working around my grandson's needs and wakeful hours.

Current Strengths: Thankful that playtime involves burning calories!

@newbie2143, Hope your vacation has been relaxing and most enjoyable! You def WILL meet your ultimate goal wt. You are one determined and focused person! Thank you for words of encouragement! Truly appreciate them :-) BTW, do you happen to know what happened to juliepax? Is she alright?

@alp_19, Welcome! Believe me, I know binge eating is a tough thing to work through but NOT impossible! Since you are in school (college?), try making up some bags of veggies (carrots, celery, lettuce etc.) or bags of almonds (serving size) to provide that crunch and also takes some time to chew. Drink a full glass of water too. Helps to fill you up. Another thing I do is drink herbal tea with honey. Hope the suggestions help!
  • alp_19
    Options
    Exercise calories burned: None
    Stayed under calorie goal: Yes :) About to go brush my teeth
    Tracked everything: Yes.
    Sugar: I found it nearly impossible to stay under MFP's sugar goal eating a lot of fruits and vegetables. But I know that I got less than 50g of processed sugar so that's a huge improvement for me (as sad as that is).

Current struggles: The only struggle today was stressing about if I was estimating my meals correctly (I eat in a dining hall and I don't want to bring in measuring cups) but I tried to overestimate if I was in doubt.

Current strengths: Today felt great. I feel like I can overcome urges when I have a plan ahead of time. Pre-logging meals was super helpful because it felt like my whole meal was already picked and dessert wasn't a part of it. Instead of snacking tonight, I stayed in my room and worked, only munching on carrots and drinking coffee.

@newbie2143 Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It's so great to hear from people who have overcome the things I'm working on right now, it helps me to remember that it's entirely possible. I am completely in the same boat with associations. The association of coming in and having a snack are so strong that I feel like I'm depriving myself when I don't sometimes, even though I'm definitely not. I think you're right that breaking that association needs to be an actual goal, not just generally eating healthy. If I target specific weak moments I'll be ready for them and view them as a victory rather than deprivation. I actually really love that idea. :)

@bellew62802 Thank you for responding as well! Carrots are my typical crunchy go-to (I had them tonight!) so bringing them with me is a good idea. I might try that this weekend when I work in the library all day, snacking on vending machine stuff is always tempting after a few hours there. Yes yes yes to the herbal tea. I haven't ever tried honey in it (I usually use sweetener) but I should transition over at some point. Also, it's great that you're getting in active time with your grandson! That definitely counts, little kids are live wires and they keep you moving more than you realize.

Really, thank you both so much. I was posting because I needed an outlet and some accountability so badly but I didn't realize anyone would read my post or care. It means so much. Also,
  • meghanfleming855
    meghanfleming855 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Julipax wrote: »
    Hi! I'm Julie. When I was most successful at weight loss, I was a part of a daily habits challenge. All you do is fill this out each day and post it in the challenge. Answer the habits questions about yesterday. Who wants to join us in taking the focus off the scale and onto the things that actually make the numbers on it move? Who's in?

Date: 2/1
    Water (8+): 3
    Exercise calories burned: 882
    Stayed under calorie goal: Yes, and didn't eat my exercise calories!
    Other healthy habits to focus on: 2 t. Olive oil and 2 servings dairy.

Goal weight for 3/1: 150
    Current weight week of 2/1: 160
    Gain/loss vs last week: (same)

Current struggles: Getting busy, but still exercising. I let the food go slightly, but still logging it all!

Current strengths: I love my swimming and my commitment to it!

Tagging last month's contributors: @47Jacqueline @rmk894 @newbie2134 @lemonychild @White_hibiscus

Hello!! Are you making a challenge like this for March? I'm very.interesred.if you are. :)
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Date: Tuesday 21 Feb

Exercise minutes: 60 min light judo
    Stayed under calorie goal: Right where I want to be
    Other healthy habits to focus on: low carb! YES!

Current strengths: I adore my judo black belts! Currently I am the only other person who pitches for class so one little white belt girl gets loads of attention from two big black belt boys! (One is dating my best friend and I really like the other one, so that makes it super fun as well!) The fact that week after week the boys are there to teach me and they have so much patience when I struggle to get it right really means so much to me!
  • gaminaltime
    gaminaltime Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Joining new here :) hello everyone ! I am back on the wagon after a longggg time. Need to lose my post pregnancy weight. Not able to workout now but keen on kicking out my still lunging preg cravings ;) and start a healthy diet. I know I m late here but better now than never. :)

Report for 2/17
    Stay under calorie intake : yes
    Vitamins: yes
    Water 8 cups : yes
    Snacking : no

Current struggle : snacking mindlessly on cheese savouries,cheese puffs and cream biscuits. I need to substitute them with fruits,milk, dates and nuts.
    @bellow62802, hi betsie, thank you for the tips :smile: will follow it . All the best !

Report 2/18 -2/24

Stay under calorie - yes,yes,Yes,no, Yes,yes, yes, [ Sunday the culprit ! ]
    Vitamins - yes, yes, yes, no, no,no [Oops ! Forgotten it this whole week ]
    Water - 8 cups - yes,yes,yes,yes,yes,yes [ yaay !! ]
    Snacking - no,no,no,no,no,no,no [ a double hi-fi for me :D ]

Current strength : I can already see the differences , I have lost half a kilo since I stopped snacking. Keeps me motivated to go on :)

Current struggles : VITAMINS :angry: I need to set a reminder for this. Damn !
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Date: Wednesday 24 Feb

Exercise minutes: 60 min fitness and 60 min light bjj
    Stayed under calorie goal: I did give in to a McFlurry today, but was still within the zone I need to be.
    Other healthy habits to focus on: low carb! Close enough.

Current weight on 24 Feb : 66.8 WooHoo that is comp weight! Now to just maintain...

Current strengths: I have put in the time and I have the friends supporting me. I can win this...
  • bellew62802
    Options
    @CaptainBoing , WooHoo for you on comp wt achieved and holding!! I see you doing the "happy dance" all the way to competition on 28th! Watch out for them McFlurries, don't want a blizzard headed your weigh ;-)

@alp_19 , so glad to have come across your post here and give a helping word or two :-) As a former library director, I understand library work and munchiness Keep on bustin a groove and stocking up on healthy nibblies and you'll see differences in yourself in no time.

@gaminaltime, Howdy! Happy dance for you too!!

@meghanfleming855, Juliepax has not been on here for a few weeks but hope to hear from her soon. Would love to have a March Challenge too! Maybe, if she doesn't come back before March begins we could continue on here until she lets us know she has another one posted elsewhere or whatever. As I am not ready to end this month long journey. It has been most helpful and in conversing with fellow MFPers.

Date: 2/24
    Water (8+): yes
    Exercise time: 33 minutes on elliptical and 30 in stationary bike. Pilates crunches and the almighty important after workout stretches!

Current weight: 169

Current struggles: Back to sleep again. 1:30 a.m. wake up calls from the energizer grandson is wiping this Nana out!

Current Strengths: Do I have any at this hour of evening... oh yes! Enough to go put myself to bed!

Good night all!
  • alp_19
    Options
    Date: 2/24
    Exercise calories burned: 200 on the elliptical and then did strength training :)
    Stayed under calorie goal: Yes. :)
    Tracked everything: Yes. :)
    Sugar: Stayed under 50g of added sugar (though definitely not total sugar) - still very happy about it!

Current struggles: Reminding myself that body changes won't happen overnight just because I'm suddenly eating healthy again.

Current strengths: I'm thriving with this sort of structure back in my life. Also, I'm feeling very motivated, and this time for the long haul rather than just quick weight loss.
  • newbie2143
    Options
    @newbie2143, Hope your vacation has been relaxing and most enjoyable! You def WILL meet your ultimate goal wt. You are one determined and focused person! Thank you for words of encouragement! Truly appreciate them :-) BTW, do you happen to know what happened to juliepax? Is she alright?

Thank you @bellew62802! I wasn't so focused for the past 5 days, but I am home now and back at it. I have not heard from @Julipax. I hope she is OK too.
  • newbie2143
    Options
    alp_19 wrote: »

@newbie2143 Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It's so great to hear from people who have overcome the things I'm working on right now, it helps me to remember that it's entirely possible. I am completely in the same boat with associations. The association of coming in and having a snack are so strong that I feel like I'm depriving myself when I don't sometimes, even though I'm definitely not. I think you're right that breaking that association needs to be an actual goal, not just generally eating healthy. If I target specific weak moments I'll be ready for them and view them as a victory rather than deprivation. I actually really love that idea. :)

I'm glad my words helped. I love the brush your teeth to cut off the temptation of evening snack idea, and pre-planning your meals sounds like it's working well.
  • newbie2143
    Options
    Report for : 2/24
    Physical activity: no, travel day.
    Logged food intake: Yes, but slightly over calorie goal
    Avoid late afternoon snack: Yes
    Work on meditation: Yes

Goal weight for 3/1: 138.5 (1.5 lbs/week). Not going to make it, but I'll get there next month :)
    Current weight: tbd tomorrow. I'll be up, most likely. Hopefully not too much.

Current struggles: Eating on the road, especially at catered events.
    Current strengths: Continued motivation to stick with what has been working.
  • alp_19
    Options
    Date: 2/25
    Vitamin: No
    Water (8+): Not sure
    Exercise calories burned: Not today
    Stayed under calorie goal: Yes. :)
    Tracked everything: Yes. :)
    Sugar: Stayed under 50g of added sugar :)

Current struggles: Felt very light headed in the afternoon - potentially because I've been eating fewer calories and a ton less sugar. Also, really really really want to snack right now. But I'm done with my calories and already submitted my log for the day.

Current strengths: I'm not snacking right now even though I'm getting hungry and really want to. Also, I passed up dessert at dinner and wine at an event that I went to because I knew that would put me over calories.