Why Calories In and Calories Out... It really ISN'T that simple.....

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »
    brekober wrote: »

God I could not think of anything more ghastly
    No joke! But it proves that if you eat in a deficit you will lose weight. Healthy food or not.

Absolutely, you've given me a great idea for a macdonalds diet, chicken nuggets anyone?

Someone beat you to it: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-lose-weight-eating-only-mcdonalds-2015-10

Damn it, KFC then!

Done.
    http://www.davejunia.com/2012/08/how-i-lost-7kg-in-a-month-while-eating-kfc/

Getting fat off whole foods?

I added ~25 pounds over a year (2012) of strict paleo/whole foods. Does that count?

(I did it by eating at a calculated surplus to intentionally gain ~25 pounds though. I then cut some of that weight the next year while adding non-whole foods to the menu.)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Yes your body knows the difference between natural sugar and processed sugar

Nope.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
  • mejaneucoconut
    mejaneucoconut Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been having so much trouble even losing a pound or two. When I exercise I can burn about 600 calories according to my fitbit and my TDEE for the day can be as much as 3500 but I was trying to eat only around 1200 cal. I was told to eat more and eat more carbs. So Im trying that but still no change except for the day I didn't drink but about 33.8 oz. which I know that is only water weight. I just don't get why I can't lose weight if CICO is all it takes. By the way the reason I have such a high calories burned for the day is because I weigh about 285-290. I've been told that my deficit is too much. Could this really be the problem?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

God I could not think of anything more ghastly
    No joke! But it proves that if you eat in a deficit you will lose weight. Healthy food or not.

Absolutely, you've given me a great idea for a macdonalds diet, chicken nuggets anyone?

Someone beat you to it: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-lose-weight-eating-only-mcdonalds-2015-10

Damn it, KFC then!

Done.
    http://www.davejunia.com/2012/08/how-i-lost-7kg-in-a-month-while-eating-kfc/

Getting fat off whole foods?

I added ~25 pounds over a year (2012) of strict paleo/whole foods. Does that count?

(I did it by eating at a calculated surplus to intentionally gain ~25 pounds though. I then cut some of that weight the next year while adding non-whole foods to the menu.)

Good thing you've learned the errors of your ways and go for the dirty bulk now...
  • MaggieAustin15
    MaggieAustin15 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    All this back lash and negative energy is not getting anywhere, why go against what someone says everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We are on here tying to stay healthy and record our food and exercise as well as encourage others and help them meet their goals. It is only my third day using this cite and all have seen is a bunch of adults acting like Junior High Kids in regards of going against others own opinions and virtues. Let people speak their mind on their own accords. I'm only 18 and have more dignity and respect then most adults that I know.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Yes your body knows the difference between natural sugar and processed sugar

How? I'm totally serious, I'd really love to know how your body knows the difference between sugar and sugar.

I was trying to think of an unprocessed sugar. Because in order to be sugar, you have to process it. Otherwise, you are gnawing on a sugar beet (and I don't think that meets @Floridaman789's 'natural sugar').

Sugar cane. People can gnaw on sugar cane before it is processed
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have been having so much trouble even losing a pound or two. When I exercise I can burn about 600 calories according to my fitbit and my TDEE for the day can be as much as 3500 but I was trying to eat only around 1200 cal. I was told to eat more and eat more carbs. So Im trying that but still no change except for the day I didn't drink but about 33.8 oz. which I know that is only water weight. I just don't get why I can't lose weight if CICO is all it takes. By the way the reason I have such a high calories burned for the day is because I weigh about 285-290. I've been told that my deficit is too much. Could this really be the problem?

No. That's not the problem.

Do you use a food scale and weigh everything? Do you log everything? (I suspect I know the answer to these questions.)

I went back and looked at your diary. Entries like this are a problem...

yalrfe4srplj.jpg

Going over your calories by 1700 on Sunday is also a problem. That is going to wipe out any deficit you created through the rest of the week.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Jehovah's Witness bread

Were can I pick up a loaf of this?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Usually when people struggle to lose weight it comes down to not giving it enough time, lack of consistency, or a mistake in calculating calories in (or calories out).

In your case, it looks like logging calories in may be an issue. I see things like "homemade brownie (how big? who knows?)" in your diary. If your logging isn't accurate, you have no idea how much you're actually eating.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    All this back lash and negative energy is not getting anywhere, why go against what someone says everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We are on here tying to stay healthy and record our food and exercise as well as encourage others and help them meet their goals. It is only my third day using this cite and all have seen is a bunch of adults acting like Junior High Kids in regards of going against others own opinions and virtues. Let people speak their mind on their own accords. I'm only 18 and have more dignity and respect then most adults that I know.

Are you saying that people shouldn't respond to misinformation?

I think that would make this board much less helpful overall.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

How do you measure your intake?

The most likely culprit is that you're eating more than you think through inaccurate logging.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

Yes you are and have much to learn about weight loss. The reason people post what they do is because there is science to prove that what others try and advocate on these boards simply isn't true. I'd advise you to stick around if you really want to become knowledgeable.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

^^because, some of us have been here a very long time, lost a lot of weight (over 160#) and kept it off for an equally long time (over 2 years). We see the same things here over and over. It is not really helpful to people starting out, and simply not true.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Preventing the spread of misinformation is important, especially for people who are new to weight loss and may be easily discouraged by all the arbitrary "rules" set forth by the various diet cults.

CICO is all that is required to lose weight. Everyone should start there.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Calories In and Calories Out is by far the most important element to weight loss and weight management in general...nutrition is another matter entirely....

Oh...and as an aside...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTca6DNhDWCn8XFQsSLfX4hyLcz_UTRzRI-GtbcftM8_KWmkFVSrw

Yes....this x1000.

And since the train has already left the station, I just want to reiderate.

People that say CICO is what matters for weight loss mean just that...., not nutrition but purely weight loss.

In the end how many calories you've had will dictate your weight loss, but not your level of nutrition. Your nutrition is dictated by what you eat.

Let's take this a step farther and talk health instead of just nutrition. I would rather be a healthy weight and a little below optimal on a few micros than be obese and eating optimal micros.

And I believe that it's actually difficult to have clinically deficient micros such that health is compromised in a way that is more detrimental than the health consequences of being obese regardless of the "quality" of food.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options

Not flaming you but we call out bullsht when we see it. Dignity and respect and letting people speak their minds have nothing to do with people spouting out wrong info as fact or fearmongering.

00j31kol9wp3.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however, you are not entitled to your own facts.

All calories are equal from an energy standpoint is a fact. All foods are not created equal from a nutritional standpoint is also a fact.

The OP posting a link to a pseudoscience clickbait article from a source widely known for his woo filled claims is not helpful to anyone, particular people who are new to this site like yourself. There are so many false, unnecessary claims about weight loss prevalent in today's society. That the veterans on this site want to refute them and make sure that people like you have access to the most reliable scientific information possible in order to make your experience here successful does not make them negative and immature. In fact, quite the opposite.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

You are not entitled to your own reality. If your "opinion" is factually completely wrong, it deserves to be called out. Unless you like to live in obliviousness of the truth and rather have a feel-good "you go girl" attitude 24/7 thrown at you.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Jehovah's Witness bread

Were can I pick up a loaf of this?

From the woo aisle at Whole Foods!