Cow milk - is it safe for humans to drink? Why the hype?

12357

Replies

  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I've heard people talk about this as well. The general consensus is that children (especially female children) should not be ingesting hormone filled milk because the hormones make them develop, mature, and get bigger chests too quick. LOL.

    I suggested that perhaps maybe it wasn't the hormone-ey milk, that it was just an abundance of food in general? But I was poo poo-ed.

    hormone milk = big jugs.

    Hormones in milk don't affect humans. The first reason and the one that makes it a total deal-breaker is that bovine growth hormone is a large protein. Your stomach will shred it into its component amino acids before absorption, like with basically all proteins, since they are simply too big to pass across the intestinal wall. It's not like phytoestrogens from plants, which are relatively small molecules that actually could be absorbed by the gut - big proteins just don't get from the intestines into the bloodstream barring life-threatening illness or injury. And if it did, there's no evidence that bovine growth hormone has any effect on humans.

    If drinking milk could give us growth hormones, that would actually be great for bodybuilders, dieters, and athletes, since (human) growth hormone tends to promote muscle growth and fat loss, and like HGH, it would probably be regulated if it actually affected us.

    Oh, I was beginning to devise a plan of increased milk consumption to reduce shrinkage as I continue losing weight. :cry:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I've heard people talk about this as well. The general consensus is that children (especially female children) should not be ingesting hormone filled milk because the hormones make them develop, mature, and get bigger chests too quick. LOL.

    I suggested that perhaps maybe it wasn't the hormone-ey milk, that it was just an abundance of food in general? But I was poo poo-ed.

    hormone milk = big jugs.

    Hormones in milk don't affect humans. The first reason and the one that makes it a total deal-breaker is that bovine growth hormone is a large protein. Your stomach will shred it into its component amino acids before absorption, like with basically all proteins, since they are simply too big to pass across the intestinal wall. It's not like phytoestrogens from plants, which are relatively small molecules that actually could be absorbed by the gut - big proteins just don't get from the intestines into the bloodstream barring life-threatening illness or injury. And if it did, there's no evidence that bovine growth hormone has any effect on humans.

    If drinking milk could give us growth hormones, that would actually be great for bodybuilders, dieters, and athletes, since (human) growth hormone tends to promote muscle growth and fat loss, and like HGH, it would probably be regulated if it actually affected us.

    Oh, I was beginning to devise a plan of increased milk consumption to reduce shrinkage as I continue losing weight. :cry:

    If that theory was true, there'd be a lot less plastic surgery and lot more milk drinkin' going on!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I've heard people talk about this as well. The general consensus is that children (especially female children) should not be ingesting hormone filled milk because the hormones make them develop, mature, and get bigger chests too quick. LOL.

    I suggested that perhaps maybe it wasn't the hormone-ey milk, that it was just an abundance of food in general? But I was poo poo-ed.

    hormone milk = big jugs.

    Hormones in milk don't affect humans. The first reason and the one that makes it a total deal-breaker is that bovine growth hormone is a large protein. Your stomach will shred it into its component amino acids before absorption, like with basically all proteins, since they are simply too big to pass across the intestinal wall. It's not like phytoestrogens from plants, which are relatively small molecules that actually could be absorbed by the gut - big proteins just don't get from the intestines into the bloodstream barring life-threatening illness or injury. And if it did, there's no evidence that bovine growth hormone has any effect on humans.

    If drinking milk could give us growth hormones, that would actually be great for bodybuilders, dieters, and athletes, since (human) growth hormone tends to promote muscle growth and fat loss, and like HGH, it would probably be regulated if it actually affected us.

    Oh, I was beginning to devise a plan of increased milk consumption to reduce shrinkage as I continue losing weight. :cry:

    If that theory was true, there'd be a lot less plastic surgery and lot more milk drinkin' going on!

    It's okay. They get in the way when I play drunken mini golf. I'll just have to get over it.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
  • coryh00
    coryh00 Posts: 55 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    coryh00 wrote: »
    Lower carbs and calories in my almond milk than regular milk.

    Also less protein and less calcium. And less deliciousness too.

    Actually I don't mind the taste. I also use coconut milk and cashew milk on occasion and like both of those as well. I get enough protein and calcium from the rest of my diet, so that isn't an issue for me either. I always liked cows milk, but it came down to drinking a glass of milk, or eating something with carbs in it (I found I always wanted bread/cereal/cookies/some other grain and/or high carb food of some sort when I had milk), not both at the same time. I also went through extensive surgery on my guts and chemo/radiation which caused a severe dairy/lactose intolerance for nearly a year....no issue with the nut milks at that time.
  • coryh00
    coryh00 Posts: 55 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    coryh00 wrote: »
    Lower carbs and calories in my almond milk than regular milk.

    Also less compatability with Oreos...

    If I'm watching carbs, I'm probably not eating oreos. Although they were my #3 favorite at one time...peanut butter and chocolate chunk being 1 and 2.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    yesimpson wrote: »
    As someone who has recently been diagnosed with a mild cow's milk allergy (it gives me digestive symptoms which are unsociable to live with, shall we say), I would proclaim loudly my love for the stuff. LACTO FREE, SOY AND GOAT MILK ARE NOT THE SAME.

    I can still have a little bit, but my days of eating porridge with milk for breakfast, cheese sandwich for lunch, latte mid-afternoon, and ice cream for pudding are gone.

    If you can ingest cow's milk, like it, don't have an ethical objection to it, just crack on and have it.

    @yesimpson Have you ever tried digestive enzymes, and did they help with that unsociable problem? The reason i ask is, my favourite protein powder gives me the bad gasses, I can't do whey concentrate, and was hoping I could use it again if I also popped some D enzymes..

    OP I love, love milk but it doesn't love my skin :( I could easily go through over 1Litre a day. If you can tolerate it and you like it then there is no reason to swap to anything else, plus it has much better macro's than Almond milk etc etc.
    Just as a side note, the milk I chose came from an organic dairy not far from where I live, so no ethical issues for me.

    I've never tried them (to be honest I'm not sure I know what they are); I tried the dairy-free thing for a week to see if it helped, and annoyingly I was less gassy and bloated two days in. My GP then confirmed it. I'm heartbroken because I love milk. I have to go back to the GP in a week so I will ask him about enzymes then.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 47,095 Member
    Milk increases the depletion of calcium from your bones more than it provides (because our bodies can't absorb it well) as well as increases your chances of fracture risk. Calcium enriched milks like almond, coconut, etc. have enriched calcium that body can't easily absorb either (unless it's calcium citrate). Not to mention if you drink non organic milk those cows are pumped with antibiotics and hormones that are just not healthy for you...that's enough of a reason for me not to drink milk.
    Source for milk increasing depletion of calcium?

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    "Safe" like, fewer people have died playing Russian Roulette with a semi-automatic,

    How would that even work? The first player would always lose.

  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,177 Member
    I heard somewhere that humans are the only mammals that drink milk after infancy/childhood. Don't know if that's true though

    I suspect my dog may be getting up in the middle of the night and pouring himself a tall glass of milk....but I can't be sure.

    I mean, my cat was pretty happy to get milk, all the way up until she dropped dead of old age...come to think of it, my dog was happy to get it, too, when he could fight off the cat.

    I have been owned by 5 cats so far in my lifetime and 3 of them were lactose intolerant, one so bad that she would barf after licking my yogurt carton after I finished. Apparently this is very common in cats
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Rofl, I drink over 1 litre a day, not because of hype because I luv it
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I've heard people talk about this as well. The general consensus is that children (especially female children) should not be ingesting hormone filled milk because the hormones make them develop, mature, and get bigger chests too quick. LOL.

    I suggested that perhaps maybe it wasn't the hormone-ey milk, that it was just an abundance of food in general? But I was poo poo-ed.

    hormone milk = big jugs.

    Hormones in milk don't affect humans. The first reason and the one that makes it a total deal-breaker is that bovine growth hormone is a large protein. Your stomach will shred it into its component amino acids before absorption, like with basically all proteins, since they are simply too big to pass across the intestinal wall. It's not like phytoestrogens from plants, which are relatively small molecules that actually could be absorbed by the gut - big proteins just don't get from the intestines into the bloodstream barring life-threatening illness or injury. And if it did, there's no evidence that bovine growth hormone has any effect on humans.

    If drinking milk could give us growth hormones, that would actually be great for bodybuilders, dieters, and athletes, since (human) growth hormone tends to promote muscle growth and fat loss, and like HGH, it would probably be regulated if it actually affected us.

    The actual hormones given won't directly affect humans. The hormones seem to change the composition of the milk to some slight degree, but probably to an extent that is neither a positive or negative.

    Girls these days are probably reaching maturity faster because of increase nutrition, including over nutrition - fat cells can produce estradiol, and more body fat may cause them to produce more.
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,487 Member
    This is an interesting article in the NYTimes about the politics of milk consumption in America - the alleged "health benefits" and some studies about adults who drink milk. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/18/upshot/got-milk-might-not-be-doing-you-much-good.html?_r=0

    Personally, I never liked the taste of milk as a child, and when I did use it, I only used it in cereal (but never drank the leftover milk in the bowl). We have lactose-free milk in my apartment because my boyfriend is lactose intolerant, but we rarely use it except for when a recipe calls for it.

    It's a personal preference, but many are starting to question the actual health benefits of milk for adults.

    Also, almond milk is being called into question too because some producers use very little almonds and substitute a lot of additives and sugars into the milk. I had a roommate who used to make her own almond milk by blanching the almonds and then soaking them in a mesh bag. It was an interesting process, but her almond milk was 100% from almonds.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    In Mongolia they drink milk from a mare, in the middle east some people drink milk from a camel, sheep are also used for milk as is goats. In Italy the prized milk from a water buffalo is use to make wonderful cheese. So if you think drinking cows milk is gross.......
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I heard somewhere that humans are the only mammals that drink milk after infancy/childhood. Don't know if that's true though

    I suspect my dog may be getting up in the middle of the night and pouring himself a tall glass of milk....but I can't be sure.

    I mean, my cat was pretty happy to get milk, all the way up until she dropped dead of old age...come to think of it, my dog was happy to get it, too, when he could fight off the cat.

    I have been owned by 5 cats so far in my lifetime and 3 of them were lactose intolerant, one so bad that she would barf after licking my yogurt carton after I finished. Apparently this is very common in cats

    Same with my cats. They don't tend to have lactose persistence, and I suspect most mammals do not. Those of us who do are super lucky! (Thanks, ancestors.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    My cat vomits every single time when she has milk, but is fine with cream.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I rarely drink milk because I just don't care to drink calories anymore (I eat dairy and add milk to recipes and when baking sometimes). I used to use a little milk in oatmeal, but I don't eat it often enough to bother buying milk for that purpose -- it would go bad before it was used.

    Despite all this, these threads always make me want to go buy some milk and drink a huge glass.

    Also, the only other time I lost a bunch of weight (and kept it off for some time), I'd read some recent study about milk helping with weight loss and drank a glass every morning, as well as adding some to my oatmeal or smoothie (which at the time I had every morning -- this was before my egg obsession). I lost weight really easily then. Doubt it was the milk, of course, but it certainly did not hurt.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I like to drink cow's milk, but the ones from farms that treat their cows humanely. Also, the "Simply Smart" brand is good for having low calories, high protein.

    If you like it go, for it, but the basic Sam's Choice or whatever they call it at Wal-Mart has basically the same nutritional profile as Simply Smart and I'm guessing 1/2 to 1/3 the price.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    coryh00 wrote: »
    Lower carbs and calories in my almond milk than regular milk.

    True, but also virtually no protein.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    edited February 2016
    well cows milk has pus in it. :/ The same type that is in zits.