4min plank

Options

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    does any one know if you can actually do this wrong. I know it sounds like a daft question but if your body is lower to the ground is that good or bad

It's called a plank because you should look like a board, flat line from shoulders to heels... So don't sag in the middle and don't stick your a@@ in the air. Lol.
  • CassidyScaglione
    Options
    I should add that if you are doing this right you should feel it in the front of your legs, in your stomach, and in the backs of your arms. If you are feeling stress or pain in your back or neck, etc, you are doing it wrong.
  • squeekecho262
    squeekecho262 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    This exercise is great for the core and arms. Tightens the area... With no pressure on the spine from bending it with crunches n such :)
    If one is getting pressure on the spine from doing crunches, then they are doing them wrong.
    Planks have their place, but for some reason there's this fad of doing planks for minutes on in and expecting the same results as actually training core and arms directly.
    If it's for a personal challenge (like a marathon), okay I get it. But running a marathon doesn't necessarily equate to increasing leg strength.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I agree with Cassidy... Why are you posting here?!
    But I'm going to stick with what I said before... Crunches can be hard on certain people due to the curving of spine or pressure on tail bone from movement... Even when doing correctly... Some bodies just don't handle it.
    Plank is a constant tightening of the muscles using a low impact exercise.
    So please don't come in here and ask us why we are bothering doing this and telling us you are a know it all.
    Positive vibes!!
    Wish you the best in what you choose to do...
  • squeekecho262
    edited February 2016
    Options
    does any one know if you can actually do this wrong. I know it sounds like a daft question but if your body is lower to the ground is that good or bad

Yep like Cassidy said. Keep the body completely straight all the way down. You want to focus on keeping your core tight (they say try to press your belly button to your spine lol) and keep your butt muscles tight and really focus on steady breathing :) keep your neck straight with the line of your spine. That's why i like to keep my phone right under my nose so I don't have to move my head. I like to close my eyes when I do the plank a lot :) try and relax :)
    You can try having your legs together or further apart as long as core is tight and straight to see what feels good for you.
    Also
    If people want something different and challenging they can try the spiderman plank. Maybe this would please the lady posting in here about our planks lmao
    Here's a video on how to!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dvAm7Gw0klA
  • CassidyScaglione
    Options
    Day 5: 0.40:0.50

Have a nice rest day tomorrow all... I hope to see you back at it on friday!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Jumping in - Day 5: 0:40 - 0:40
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If it's for a personal challenge (like a marathon), okay I get it. But running a marathon doesn't necessarily equate to increasing leg strength.

Well then, since this is on the Challenge forum, and not on the Exercise and Fitness forum, I'm not sure why you are here being discouraging. Go and start your own challenge where people crunch and twist of you like.
    You're right, I digress. Apologies.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• CassidyScaglione
    Options
    @squeekecho262 @nmannette575 @idupack @laurainottawa

Back to the grindstone tomorrow guys! 45 second planks... hope you all enjoyed your rest! For anyone else following along with this challenge... good work and keep it up!
  • squeekecho262
    edited February 2016
    Options
    *Xena warrior cry, alalalaaaeyaa!*
    Let's do this!!!! Hahaha
  • nmannette575
    nmannette575 Posts: 30 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Day 7 .45 : .45 DONE!! whooo! I did it.. AWESOME!! Great job guys... we got this :)
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I lost this thread, but just wanted to let you all know I'm keeping up. Today will be my 2nd 30 second plank.

I don't know about you all, but after I do them my body feels great. Makes my lower back feel better. Anyone else?
  • squeekecho262
    Options
    day 7 45 done!
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I did a 3 minute plank today and that was great -- but I got there by doing all kinds of core, HIIT, weightlifting etc. Not just planks! I think I'll get to the 4 minute plank the same way. I love how planks feel, something like energy moving in all directions out through the core and into my limbs! Good luck!
  • squeekecho262
    Options
    Merrysix wrote: »
    I did a 3 minute plank today and that was great -- but I got there by doing all kinds of core, HIIT, weightlifting etc. Not just planks! I think I'll get to the 4 minute plank the same way. I love how planks feel, something like energy moving in all directions out through the core and into my limbs! Good luck!

I can agree. I do other core work and it sure does help with being able to do the plank. I have been doing 1:30 planks here and there on top of this challenge almost every day
  • CassidyScaglione
    Options
    Day 7: 0.45 : 1.00.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    0:45 - 0:45
  • idupack
    idupack Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    *Xena warrior cry, alalalaaaeyaa!*
    Let's do this!!!! Hahaha

More of this please! Made my morning when I first saw it!

Day 7: 0:45 - 0:45
  • TamzFit777
    TamzFit777 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Oh no I wish I saw this 6 days ago... If I can already do 40 can I start today?? Ill do it right now.. Why do you post 0:40-0:40, is it 2 reps??

@yojbongo you can do 4 minutes right? How long did it take you to get there??
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    TamzFit777 wrote: »
    Why do you post 0:40-0:40, is it 2 reps??

The first number is goal and the 2nd number is actual. For example, if I had actually done 35s and my goal was 45s, it would look like this:

0:45 - 0:35

Most of us are the same right now because we can really do more than goal, but stop when we reach the daily time.
  • idupack
    idupack Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Day 8: 0:45 - 0:45