Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Meat Eater, Vegetarian or Vegan?

iona_ellen
iona_ellen Posts: 138 Member
Hi,
I have friends who eat meat,, vegetarian & vegans. Doing a web search there is lots of sites with different views of which is overall healthier. What's your view? And from the nutrition side why did you choose this way?
Remember we're fitness 'pals' so stay friendly:D!

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    I am a meat eater because I have always suffered from low iron and it helped stabilize that. Plus meat is delicious!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I think they can all be equally healthy.

There are ethical reasons that someone might choose to be a vegan or vegetarian.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I think that all can be healthy, but all can also be unhealthy. Meeting macro and micro needs for your body takes some knowledge, time, and practice to find the right mix regardless of your chosen dietary practices.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited February 2016
    I am a meat eater, but could easily become a vegetarian. I go in spurts as to how little or much meat I eat, some times none for days, or a small amount at one meal, very rarely meat at two meals ... Nutrition wise, I'm not educated enough to know if one way of eating is better than an other. I just go by what I grew up with and that was a little meat on some days but plenty of vegetables and seafood, fruit and nuts, eggs and dairy products. ... PS, and grains ... lots of buckwheat, barley, millet, etc .. and beans, lentils, peas, some rice, some noodles, and bread. A lot of the items presented as soups, stews, gumbos or stuffed vegetables and dumplings/rolls.
  • mrsthompson662
    mrsthompson662 Posts: 16 Member
    edited February 2016
    Any can be healthy...and all can be unhealthy. I'm a vegan I've done tons of research on what various types of foods do to ones body dairy, meat and so on. I chose vegan for me it is health plus animal cruelty and veganism works for me....its not for everyone....meat eaters are meat eaters and usually don't care as much for veggies....I've always loved veggies so it's easy for me.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    I eat meat. And whatever else looks good too:)
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Vegetarian for 8 years, vegan for 6 months and paleo for 9 years. Best health with paleo and no issues with reintroducing meat. Im quite a high carb paleo with minimal meat as I dont enjoy eating massive quantities of it- just personal preference.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2016
    Depends. They can all be equally healthy or equally unhealthy depending on the overall makeup of a person's diet. You can get great nutrition on any diet if that's one of your goals, so it boils down to preference. Personally, I eat meat but sparingly because I like plant-based foods much more. Not eating as much meat as the average person has nothing to do with a certain nutrition stance on meat other than that I just don't like it that much.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    A varied diet can make meeting nutrition goals easier and is generally what is recommended by health organizations. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/Healthyeating.aspx

With that aside, I echo what others have said. They can all be healthy assuming you educate yourself and make mindful choices.

For myself. I'm a vegetarian for ethical and preference reasons. I enjoyed the taste of meat but hated the texture. Also, as an animal lover I found it hard to differentiate between the meat on my plate and the ducks I would feed at the park.

I've never been a particularly healthy/mindful eater. I was overweight then obese most of my life. I only corrected this about 5 years ago. Now at a healthy size I still struggle to be mindful of my choices. I don't believe vegetarianism has made this easier or harder. Just different.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I'm a meat-eater.

I'm slowly learning more veggie / vegan recipes, and while I highly doubt I'd give up meat for good, I see several benefits to moderate consumption instead of having it all the time and relying on it for a decent meal.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Meat eater, vegetarian or vegan? I'll give you a hint:

u449moiyn10o.gif

The reason? Because meat is delicious and I refuse to give up anything delicious. :wink:
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member

u449moiyn10o.gif

The reason? Because meat is delicious and I refuse to give up anything delicious. :wink:

lol I have to admit, bacon is the one food I miss. Vegetarian bacon is ok, but not the same.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    JShailen wrote: »

u449moiyn10o.gif

lol I have to admit, bacon is the one food I miss. Vegetarian bacon is ok, but not the same.

Vegetarian bacon is an abomination. Turkey bacon is an abomination. Until recently I thought all non pork bacon was an abomination.

Until I discovered this

algv744exzen.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited February 2016
    iona_ellen wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have friends who eat meat,, vegetarian & vegans. Doing a web search there is lots of sites with different views of which is overall healthier. What's your view? And from the nutrition side why did you choose this way?
    Remember we're fitness 'pals' so stay friendly:D!

My view is that a balanced diet is healthy...one can be vegan and have a *kitten* diet...one can be vegetarian and have a *kitten* diet...one can eat meat and have a *kitten* diet. Conversely, one can eat meat and have a well balanced and healthy diet...one can be vegan and have a well balanced and healthy diet...one can be vegetarian and have a well balanced and healthy diet.

I eat meat..mostly lean sources...mostly chicken and fish and I like pork tenderloin because it's very lean and relatively inexpensive and I can roast a couple of those and I have lunch for a week...I also eat about 6 servings of veg and a couple of servings of fruit per day...oats, quinoa, brown rice, legumes, lentils, etc. One of my very good friends is a vegetarian...she practically lives off of frozen veggie burgers, french fries, potato chips, and coca cola...she has a salad like once a week so she can say she got her veggies in. You tell me, who of the two of us has the superior diet.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    I'm a meat eater......I love the tastes, and love the protein it gives me. I'm pretty healthy, and my fitness level is great for my age, and I feel pretty darned great too!!.....My daughter is a vegetarian, 23, skinny fat....and miserable most of the time.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Humans evolved eating a variety of diets and it's very likely that one of the reasons we have thrived as a species is because of this ability. I eat a balanced diet that consists of plenty of veggies, dairy, grains and meats. It works for me. I'm personally convinced there isn't a single "best" diet for all people, and the search to find one hits me as a bit silly.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    I've always eat a combination of ample plant based foods and some meat. Over the last few years I've been eating a little more meat than I used to, but certainly not massive amounts. I believe that this is healthiest for me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Omnivore because I love food.

This. I was going to say "can't we have both?". I eat a variety of foods that happen to be some plant parts and some animal parts and some animal products. I don't think that is the best way or the only way, maybe not even for me, but it's a good way; I like it and don't see a reason to change it.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    I am pescatarian. I kept seafood in my diet because it's an easy way to get protein. But over-fishing bothers me. I don't miss meat; I still eat grocery-store dairy and that bothers me (ethically) too. I quit eating meat because of deplorable industrial farming practices. Had nothing to do with health or weight loss.