March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Strava folk: I have connected both Garmin and Strava to MFP, but that means my "stuff" is getting doubled. How do youse guys have it setup?

I use fitbit instead of Garmin, but same concept. I connected fitbit to mfp and fitbit to strava. Strava and mfp are not linked, which means no double counting.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @rune1990 - It's like @Elise4270 said; the watch goes on the outside, so I can operate it. In January 2015, this watch got through a half marathon in single digits F with 25+ mph wind, where water bottles were freezing solid. Granted, I run a race faster than an easy run, and finished that half in 1:33; but we were standing around in the cold for 5 or 10 minutes before, and I had enough battery left to use it as a watch for several hours between finishing and getting home to the recharger. Later that month, I ran 10 miles at an easy pace (~80 minutes) starting at -10° F and finishing at +5° F. So poor battery life at 25° F looks unacceptable to me.

Talked to Garmin customer support today. They gave me a drill of put in on charger for 10 minutes, pull it off, press back to put it in watch mode, wait 2 minutes, and put it back on the charger. This is supposed to recalibrate detection of charge level. It doesn't appear to have done anything, but I'll find out on the cold run tomorrow morning . . . when I'll also be using my new Garmin 630, assuming it charges up fully and I can figure out how to set it up before I run.

If I weren't running a varied workout tomorrow (2 miles E, 13 miles MP, 2 miles E), I'd have ordered a new watch online cheaper than I can get it locally; but losing my pace 11 miles into 13 miles of a stretch of MP would be really annoying. I don't want to take the chance that what Garmin customer support is having me do addresses a problem other than what I really have.

Dang, getting to Boston is expensive.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    11 km run up what we call Pats Creek across the top of the Valley to 12ft Davis Hill and back down to the bottom of the valley. A great run -9C and 5cm/2in of fresh snow. A practise for tomorrows Long Version of this Route with the running club.

Pats Creek was the original Hwy into town back in the 1930's. As traffic got heavier and vehicles bigger it became unstable and after 3 landslides in the 1960's they changed the route out of the River Valley and this became a park. Picture a Gravel trail that originally was 30 ft wide and graded for vehicle traffic slowly getting overgrown with trees. Just a Beautiful place to run with views into the junction of two valleys.

exercise.png

03/01 – 0.0 Km – 0.0 - 140 km – 263.8 Km
    03/02- 10.0 Km – 10.0 - 130 km – 273.8 Km
    03/04- 11.0 Km – 21.0 - 119 km – 284.8 Km

Looks like I need to invest in some Electronics and start gathering run data and join the Strava Crowd. There are quite a few of the members in the local club that are also on Strava.

So far I only have one planned race in the future and that is the Inaugural Jasper HM
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Wow! @MobyCarp I forget you are still running in the cold cold cold! I've never had the southern cold affect the battery. But I'd just wear it under my clothes and listen to beeps. I try not to look at it too often, makes me ansy.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

Looks like I need to invest in some Electronics and start gathering run data and join the Strava Crowd. There are quite a few of the members in the local club that are also on Strava.

Oh no! The nerdiness got you!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    March Goal: Run often

3/1 3.44
    3/2 9.27
    3/3 rest
    3/4 3.30

Total 15.71

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a bit late to the party this month - 15 pages already!!! I will try to catch up and comment. I will look into the Strava thing.

I'm in for 200 km this month.

1 Mar Rest
    2 Mar 13.05 km
    3 Mar 7.16 km
    4 Mar 7.42 km
    5 Mar 23.39 km

Total: 51.02 km / 200 km

Races:
    5 June Rocky River Run 21km
    3 July Gold Coast Marathon

exercise.png

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    1 Mar – 3 km
    2 Mar – 4 km
    5 Mar – 5 km

Goal: 60 km
    Total: 12 km

I'm hoping to run 10 km for the first time in the morning... (my furthest is 8.6 km last Saturday)... I'm nervous and excited!

• Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    EDITED: I did want to address strava for the self concious. Please don't get discouraged if you run low miles. We all started somewhere. if you are at the bottom of the leaderboard, just remember. You are not competing with us. You are competing with your former self. Just go at your own pace. In time, you will go up on the leaderboard. Don't stress over it and don't force your body to do anything it is not ready to do. And by God, don't get discouraged if you are not there yet. We all started at the bottom. Just keep at it. We are all here to help support one another.

Yes, this! One of the reasons that I love this thread/corner of MFP is that everyone is supportive, whether you run a 6 minute mile or a 16 minute mile, are just getting into running or are diving into ultras. I don't think anyone on this forum or the strava group will be judging at all. We all started somewhere!

I must have missed Stans original post when I was in here earlier! I agree! This is the best spot on Mfp. This group is actually an example of what nearly all of mfp use to be. I'm so appreciative of reminders like this one for when I get in my head too much!
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    This place is on fire!!!

I ran 8 miles last night with Kody. My knee was sore at the start, but by the end it felt great. Today it feels great. This thing is odd. I think it's getting worse, then I run and it feels better for about 36 hours, then feels bad until i run again. I guess it means I need to run every day.

I'll give that knee a great test tomorrow. Going for at least 12 miles.

Regarding Strava:

No, it will not take the place of these challenge threads! I love seeing the routes people run. I give them a thumbs up, look at pictures they may post, and occasionally I'll post a comment to their runs, but for me there's no real discussions going on there.

Too bad they don't call it a Progress Board rather than a Leader Board. "Leaderboard" implies we're competing with each other, which certainly isn't the case. But hey...if it motivates you to run more to move up the board, great!

Thanks to those of you who either use the same profile picture or include their MFP name in the username on Strava. It helps me figure out who's who.

Your posts about Kody always make me (almost) wish I had a dog to run with! :) Awesome dog you have there!
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Strava folk: I have connected both Garmin and Strava to MFP, but that means my "stuff" is getting doubled. How do youse guys have it setup?
    I have Garmin connected to strava and runkeeper, and runkeeper connected to mfp. This gets the running data everywhere I want it to be. Mfp is connected to google fit, and fitness sync reads my weight from there and writes it to strava (and fatsecret). No double counting, and all my data gets where I want it to be. Maybe a little convoluted, but it works!
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - I sent a request to join the strava group - (Michele Smith).
    @ all new Strava users: great to have more people to stalk follow over there!
    Regarding synching: If I remember right, I used https://tapiriik.com/ to synch between Garmin and Strava. It can also synch with runkeeper and endomondo and a few others - depending on where your runs are saved.

And @_nikkiwolf_ thanks so much for the website to sync between Garmin and Strava! All my runs are syncing to Strava as I write this (73% complete).

• whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    A pretty slow 5k at Parkrun this morning. Legs felt very heavy after 8 miles last night and 10k on Thursday. Rest day tomorrow! Added 1.5 miles with warm up and cool down to get to 19 miles for the month.

19/75.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,103 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    01/03 3.5miles
    02/03 3.5miles
    04/03 3.5miles
    05/03 3miles - on target so far

exercise.png

• KSR1212
    KSR1212 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    March Goal: 75 miles

Week One: 12.3 miles completed
  • 123stefania
    123stefania Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am registered to a 5K june 19 and a 10K in september. I want to do again the C25K program. My goal is to go today. It cold and sunny here.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles

Ugh, what a slog. It took me three hours to just get out of bed and out the door this morning. And then I just felt like crap for the entire hour+ that I was out. My calves are so unbelievably tight because I wasn't able to foam roll all week because of the placement of the injuries on my hands from last weekend's fall. Pain or not though, I'm going to have to foam roll today. I had to stop 3-4 times to stretch out at park benches and curbsides, and that is not going to be doable on a 15 miler tomorrow.

Here's to hoping foam rolling cures all my woes! But for the immediate "woe is me" of a poor run... spicy ramen with eggs is the way to go! 10:30 am isn't too early for lunch is it? ;)

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K (Clinton, NJ)
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)

PS: I watched this video two or three times yesterday.... maybe my legs were inspired?
    https://youtu.be/XhmSVzhLltY
  • Elise4270
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles

Ugh, what a slog. It took me three hours to just get out of bed and out the door this morning. And then I just felt like crap for the entire hour+ that I was out. My calves are so unbelievably tight because I wasn't able to foam roll all week because of the placement of the injuries on my hands from last weekend's fall. Pain or not though, I'm going to have to foam roll today. I had to stop 3-4 times to stretch out at park benches and curbsides, and that is not going to be doable on a 15 miler tomorrow.

Here's to hoping foam rolling cures all my woes! But for the immediate "woe is me" of a poor run... spicy ramen with eggs is the way to go! 10:30 am isn't too early for lunch is it? ;)

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K (Clinton, NJ)
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)

PS: I watched this video two or three times yesterday.... maybe my legs were inspired?
    https://youtu.be/XhmSVzhLltY

Ha-ha! Oh that's great! I'm not alone. I'm not out of bed yet. Been half dressed for a run for an hour.

10:30 is brunch- knock it out! I don't think the 3 meals a day applies to those doing 30+ MPW anyhow.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    March Running Totals (miles)
    [2/28 – 7.78 easy]
    [2/29 – 7.22 easy + 4 strides]
    3/1 – 9.31 warm up + 8 x Yasso 800s
    3/2 – 6.02 easy
    3/3 – 15.05 easy
    3/4 – scheduled rest day
    3/5 – 17.01 2 easy, 13 MP, 2 easy
    Weekly total 62.39 vs. target 62

March total to date – 47.39

Goal – 56, 62, or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    Expected March total - ~282 miles

Today's notes – Got cloudy skies, no precipitation, and 19° F to start my run this morning. The assignment was 2 miles at E, 10-13 miles at MP, 2 miles at E. After yesterday's belt-and-suspenders purchase of a new Garmin 630 plus doing the recalibration drill on the existing 620, I ran with both watches to see what would happen in the weather. I kind of expected the 620 to die before the end of the run, as there was no way I could do the 17 miles in under 2 hours.

The first thing I noticed is that the 630 (with GPS + GLONASS) produces a more consistent current pace than the 620. The 620 tends to bounce around a lot at the beginning of a run. Later on, I noticed that the 620 was recording ever so slightly more distance. This doesn't rise to the level of significance, but it seems the better GPS accuracy of the 630 is the real deal.

I had a hard time holding MP for the first couple of miles, then MP became fairly variable with the terrain I was running. It's hard to run 17 miles from my house without running a lot of rolling hills, but that's okay. I hear Boston has some hills along about mile 16, and training hills can't hurt. My last mile of MP was a shade faster than my target MP range, probably because I was getting tired and just wanted to get to the end of the fast part; then it was easier than I expected to change gears and run the last 2 miles easy.

Total time was 2:06:07, total distance came in at 17.01 miles because I was really ready to stop when I got to 17. That brought the week in right around the target mileage. Temperature when I got done was up to 28° F. The 620 showed battery mostly gone, the 630 showed battery down a little. Put them on their chargers, and the 620 said 26% left while the 630 said 80% left. I can't count on the 620 making it through a marathon, but at least I have that problem solved for Boston.

It's a relief to be back on track with training, and it's something of a relief to have a GPS watch I can rely on again. I'll likely keep the 620 as a backup, and talk to Garmin customer support some more about what can be done about the battery.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

It's a relief to be back on track with training, and it's something of a relief to have a GPS watch I can rely on again. I'll likely keep the 620 as a backup, and talk to Garmin customer support some more about what can be done about the battery.

It does sound like you have a defective battery on the 620. I walked yesterday without the HRM for 2h 20m and mine (620) was down ~ 86% (not cold out). I've had good luck with Garmin customer service, so hopefully they can make it right. Nice to hear the problem for the Boston run is worked out. I almost want a 630 now ;)