What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nobody told me that it would be so hard finding clothes in smaller sizes. When I was a lot bigger, I knew I had the handful of stores I could shop in and the choices were limited. And you made it work because you had to. Now, in a size 16, XL shirt or 1X, there's either a no-man's land size-wise or these sizes fly off the racks. I don't understand how and where the line is drawn between misses and plus sizes, or that an XL and a 1X should be the same size (or XXL and 2X), but they're not! I'm clueless as to what stores/brands are good or reasonable or carry my sizes. I never thought it would be MORE difficult to shop for clothes, but it's actually getting harder every new size.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Funsoaps wrote: »
    Buying clothes in a small size...not feeling guilty about it! Instead of avoiding mirrors while nude, actually checking out how much thinner I am. Lol.

Awesome! I attend an aquatics center,so there are people that walk from the shower to their area (behind a cloth screen to put on (or take off) clothes. To me, they are my goal weight, but here I am walking around nude from point A to B. I am more comfortable in my skin than they are, and its plain sad. For me its mostly a great way to completely dry off, (after actually drying off with a towel) and yep when there aren't people in there, I do check my naked self out in the mirror to reaffirm what I look like, to what my brain is looking at. To be in sync.

I'm curious as to why you find this sad? I'm comfortable in my own skin, and I'm pretty sure I'll never walk naked through a change room no matter my weight. We're all comfortable with different things, and I don't believe it makes anyone 'sad'. All part of You Do You.

I think Annr meant it's sad that other people are not as comfortable in their skin as she is in hers.
  • DietrichFit22
    DietrichFit22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    + may be random however my entire life I've hated asparagus, even the smell, gave it more then one chance over the years too... the other day I saw them on sale, without hesitation bought them, cooked them that night as my side veg. Couldn't get enough! Then was excited to have them as left overs and got sad I ran out! It was like invasion of the body snatchers! Lol Didn't even question the process, I just went along with it like it's no big deal over night I suddenly grew to love asparagus. Totally not upset by this...however the rumors I've avoided my entire life relating to asparagus and smells do bring up a slight worry
  • 0utrun
    0utrun Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    KareninLux wrote: »
    All my clothing seems longer. Very weird. Even my cardigan sweaters at work - the sleeves are getting longer!! Would have never imagined that!

Mine too. My jacket sleeves grew so much I had to roll them up the other day.
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    0utrun wrote: »
    KareninLux wrote: »
    All my clothing seems longer. Very weird. Even my cardigan sweaters at work - the sleeves are getting longer!! Would have never imagined that!

Mine too. My jacket sleeves grew so much I had to roll them up the other day.

^^Yes! And those tops that were used to disguise a bigger tummy and backside now come down to the middle of the thigh
  • Tyler2020Mike
    Tyler2020Mike Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    JAW118 wrote: »
    Wanted to make this thread for motivationial purposes more than anything but they don't all have to be super positive!

I hate to say it, but...saggy-baggy skin and stretch marks. I lost 80 pounds and was kind of dismayed by these. Who knows, my skin may tighten up a bit, but at 45 I know I can't expect miracles (you lose elasticity as you get older). As for the stretch marks, cocoa butter has helped, but I have had to accept the fact the battle scars from my war on overweight will always be with me, and to learn to love the skin I'm in.

Don't get me wrong, though – it's totally worth it, and I definitely feel and look better than before!

The sagging skin is a nuisance. I'm in my 30s, though I just try to tighten it up with weight lifting and exercise.

*fingers crosses*
  • ForMe2No
    ForMe2No Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Nobody told me that it would be so hard finding clothes in smaller sizes. When I was a lot bigger, I knew I had the handful of stores I could shop in and the choices were limited. And you made it work because you had to. Now, in a size 16, XL shirt or 1X, there's either a no-man's land size-wise or these sizes fly off the racks. I don't understand how and where the line is drawn between misses and plus sizes, or that an XL and a 1X should be the same size (or XXL and 2X), but they're not! I'm clueless as to what stores/brands are good or reasonable or carry my sizes. I never thought it would be MORE difficult to shop for clothes, but it's actually getting harder every new size.

@MimiOfTheLusciousLawn OMG! I thought it was just me. I think it will get easier when you get to size 14. Which I think I now am. However, I just bought a couple of pants in size 16 and a couple in a size 14. I think I need to lose another 6 to 8lbs to truly call myself a 14. But I was definitely having the very same issue you are describing a few weeks ago. I got very frustrated. I was shopping both in the misses and plus size it was just too overwhelming. So I ended up leaving the store without buying anything waited two weeks and a few pounds. That is the very reason that I think my goal size is going to be an 8. That should put me safely in the misses size no matter where I shop.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    ForMe2No wrote: »

@MimiOfTheLusciousLawn OMG! I thought it was just me. I think it will get easier when you get to size 14. Which I think I now am. However, I just bought a couple of pants in size 16 and a couple in a size 14. I think I need to lose another 6 to 8lbs to truly call myself a 14. But I was definitely having the very same issue you are describing a few weeks ago. I got very frustrated. I was shopping both in the misses and plus size it was just too overwhelming. So I ended up leaving the store without buying anything waited two weeks and a few pounds. That is the very reason that I think my goal size is going to be an 8. That should put me safely in the misses size no matter where I shop.

I thought I would enjoy shopping more, but once I could buy clothes in any store I wanted, it became overwhelming. Too many options! I decided that it wasn't that I didn't like shopping because of my size, I just don't enjoy shopping. I mean, yes, I like to have nice clothes that looks good on me, but I don't actually like shopping.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I still have a long, long way to go, but even at my current weight loss I am loving the feel of my body more. I can actually feel my hip bones and my ribs now!
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    holmesj747 wrote: »
    going from being told at the doctors office that you have high blood pressure and them wanting to prescribe medication to (a new doctor) taking a double take looking at your chart and saying that everything is now right where it was supposed to be and asking what I've done to change. That felt damn good!!!

!Awesome!
  • MaryLouiseHand
    MaryLouiseHand Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is such a great thread. Love the humor. Laughter is the best medicine!
  • HollyJean2013
    HollyJean2013 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How easy and effortless it is just to go from sitting to standing. You don't have to use your arms to push yourself up off the couch.

How your confidence shines and you learn to love yourself.

How sugar really affects your body and mood.

How amazing it feels to actually go after your dream of being fit and seeing that it is possible=)
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    The most exciting part for me was hitting BMI 29.9. I was SOOOO happy to be overweight, and not obese. Nobody talks about that.

Yay!! I have 16 more to go to be overweight... and I can't wait!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!