Wondering how everyone else feels about getting asked out at the gym?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    aub6689 wrote: »
    katiebean wrote: »
    It's never happened to me but I think I'd find it quite awkward. And I get what you mean about it being intimidating going out with a total stranger.

Thanks! I'm glad someone agrees. I am also already really awkward. Some guy asked me out for a drink and I replied, "like a protein shake?" he wasn't amused...

That's awesome :)

• claer947
    claer947 Posts: 56 Member
    Bbg340 wrote: »
    I get asked out all the time...the gym, produce stand, dentist, toys r us, Walmart, pediatrician, at work, napping on a park bench, standing at the urinal, etc...so I get it. It's tough being this ridiculously good looking.

Love this...
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Sometimes I think we just think too much. A guy asking you out at the gym just thinks you're attractive. Point, blank, period. So what if it's because you have a nice butt or thighs or whatever he saw past your sweat to see? Attraction is attraction.

It's not weird if he's not ogling you down with his tongue hanging out, or pestering you like he's obligated to have your #. He is just acting on an attraction, which is no crime if he is single. He's just taking a chance on a pretty girl.

If you're exercising, he probably doesn't want to take too much time from your workout with small talk. So the best option is to get your number and set up an opportunity to get to know you.

It's up to you to use judgement. Is this a guy you want to see more often than at the gym? Are you willing to risk an awkward encounter at the gym if it doesn't work out? Then either say no thanks or give out the digits!

So the answer to your question is: If I was single, I wouldn't mind. It's a compliment as long as it doesn't venture into creepy or controlling. Now that I think about it, I'm married and I still wouldn't mind. I just wouldn't give my # out for obvious reasons.

I don't get numbers because I don't work out in the main portion of the gym. I only do the classes, which are 95% ladies or older/gay men. There's a guy at the front desk that always looks really happy to see me, and runs from the back to speak to me, but he could just be a bubbly person.
  • 25brittany25
    25brittany25 Posts: 27 Member
    Minpinhead wrote: »
    .....if someone were to ask me out at the gym he'd prob be keeper based on my sweaty, no make up homeless bum-look after working out lol!! >:)
    Just sayin... :D

Exactly lmao !
  • grimrivet
    grimrivet Posts: 4 Member
    Op, you can always activate your B Shield. That is how my wife keeps people from bothering her when the blaring headphones don't seem to be doing the trip.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    grimrivet wrote: »
    Op, you can always activate your B Shield. That is how my wife keeps people from bothering her when the blaring headphones don't seem to be doing the trip.

What is a "B Shield"?
  • grimrivet
    B!+ch shield. The look that broaches no questions as to whether or not you are to be approached.
  • grimrivet
    My understnading being able to deactivate it is a learned talent :pensive:
  • grimrivet
    Understanding even. :)
  • aub6689
    Haha, I guess my RBF is really bad at the gym. It puts me in such a good mood that I smile at my music or muscle burn.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Haha, I guess my RBF is really bad at the gym. It puts me in such a good mood that I smile at my music or muscle burn.

you smile at the gym??? hussy.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    I don't even talk at the gym. Arrive. Train. Leave. Headphones in, metal blasting to block out the world, do not approach. I'm liftin' heeere!
  • patrickreeveboyd
    patrickreeveboyd Posts: 701 Member
    Gosh wonderful topic! I want to figure out how you do it or what's worked, what you've rejected. One I did was, "Hey you look like [so-and-so] in that movie [such-and-such]."
  • aub6689

It isn't to anyone though. I smile when I'm out running and struggling too. Don't know how to turn it off.

moya_bleh wrote: »
    I don't even talk at the gym. Arrive. Train. Leave. Headphones in, metal blasting to block out the world, do not approach. I'm liftin' heeere!

Only conversations I've ever started are if someone was using a particular piece of equipment.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    What gym do you go to? I have never been asked out while at the gym. Maybe I am doing something wrong? I think it might be my dread locks?
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member

It isn't to anyone though. I smile when I'm out running and struggling too. Don't know how to turn it off.

Only conversations I've ever started are if someone was using a particular piece of equipment.

"How many sets left?"

"OK if I alternate in between your sets?"

"All yours, I'm done now."

are literally the only things that I say at the gym. I should save them as sound files on my phone so I can just press a button without having to actually speak!
  • Kie_Hughes
    Kie_Hughes Posts: 1,004 Member
    I'm always in the zone when I'm in the gym but surely it would only be a compliment to
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I've been in and out of gyms for the better part of 25 years and about the only thing I've ever really seen or experienced is flirting...I don't think I've ever seen anyone just go up out of the blue and ask someone out...so my feeling on this is that it is exceedingly rare, if it actually happens at all.
  • PalePocahontas
    PalePocahontas Posts: 1,130 Member
    I ignore them and carry on working out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member

"How many sets left?"

"OK if I alternate in between your sets?"

"All yours, I'm done now."

are literally the only things that I say at the gym. I should save them as sound files on my phone so I can just press a button without having to actually speak!

I go the hour before close and never have to even say this ^.

This is me: