March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Hey you Saucony wearers, Woot has a sale (50% off or more) going on right now on many models of Saucony shoes. I'm going to display some restraint for once and not buy any but thought there may be some here who would be interested. If you're not familiar with Woot, they're a part of Amazon and they specialize in one day closeout sales.

http://www.woot.com/plus/saucony-mens-and-womens-running-shoes-4?utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=8832fe88db-Daily+Digest+-+20160311+-+Woot&utm_medium=email

2wghkfhpqmzh.jpeg

I'm checking it out! Thanks!

Edit- none in my size, buy I found some on Nordstrom rack for 54.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Rest day today, so no mileage. I will have to do 5 of something else.

As for the foam rolling discussion, I have a foam roller but barely use it because I find it more trouble to use than the benefit I get from it. Having to pronate your entire body and find a way to roll it a few feet (I'm a tall guy) is NOT easy. When I feel sore someplace though I don't hesitate to do something. I usually use a ball, rolling pin, or something similar to work where I need to. It helps. But I don't do it regularly, only when I feel something that shouldn't be ignored. For those who can foam roll though, that is a great way to do it, your own body weight will provide plenty of pressure.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Okay - what am I missing? I've never felt the need to roll or anything. And if I'm being perfectly honest, I almost never do a stretch or anything before I head out for a run - am I missing something here too?

Was wondering the same thing

Ha-ha! Maybe it just us old folks! Helps soreness, prevents fascia pain, loosens muscles, helps me with muscle imbalance issues and prevents additional scaring around nerves.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/how-to-use-a-foam-roller

I love my foam roller! I don't use it enough, but it's amazing when I do. I use it after runs or my crazy cardio classes and I notice a major difference in the amount of soreness I feel the day after if I don't use it.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Hey you Saucony wearers, Woot has a sale (50% off or more) going on right now on many models of Saucony shoes. I'm going to display some restraint for once and not buy any but thought there may be some here who would be interested. If you're not familiar with Woot, they're a part of Amazon and they specialize in one day closeout sales.

http://www.woot.com/plus/saucony-mens-and-womens-running-shoes-4?utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=8832fe88db-Daily+Digest+-+20160311+-+Woot&utm_medium=email

PHEW! They didn't have my shoes or anything in my size available. That was a close call! I promised my local store I'd order my next pair through them since I have a $20 credit on my account and a team discount because I run for them (either 10% or 20%, I don't remember).

I missed the foam rolling discussion, but here's my two cents on foam rolling! I was a big foam rolling naysayer in the past because it's hard (my arms are noodles) and I didn't like it because it hurts. But now that I'm running quite a bit more and having more issues with tightness in my calves, hammies, etc. I've been foam rolling twice a week and it actually helps a lot. I wasn't sure if it was helping until I wasn't able to do it for a week and holy moly, the PAIN by the end of the week! Came back from an excrutiating run, foam rolled, and had an amazing run the next day pain-free. I usually foam roll after each chunk of runs I do; since I run Sat-Mon and Wed-Thurs, I foam roll on Tuesdays and Fridays to work out the knots from those segments of training. Which reminds me... gotta go foam roll!! :)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @whatang I can relate to this. My shoes must be wondering if I am hurt. I have been on the road for work all week so getting home very late and no energy. My last run was on sunday so I am getting antsy-stir crazy.
    whatang wrote: »
    So I totally bailed on last night's run... worked about 2 hours later than planned, then when I got home around 8pm just sat on the bed to read mfp for 5 minutes before going out to run... and totally passed out asleep . I decided to "listen to my body" and postpone it until today instead :)

The weather is starting to turn and my running buddies posted that some of our favorite bush trails are starting to turn into mush, mud and ice so losing some terrain for the seasonal change. Of course this leads to the planning of Spring Fever Runs. The Inaugural Beer Mile and 7-7-HP ( 7 Hills 7 Pubs ) B) .
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    3/1 - nada
    3/2 - 3.9 miles
    3/3 - 3.8
    3/4 - 3.29
    3/5 - 3.25
    3/6 - 6.3
    3/7 - 1.2
    3/8 - 2.53
    3/9 - 2.4
    3/10 - 2.02
    3/11 - 1.48

exercise.png

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    3/01: 3 miles, easy (am)
    3/01: 6 miles, 2x1 mile at LTP (7:30) then 800m @ 5K pace (pm)
    3/02: 6 miles, easy
    3/03: 5 miles, 5x800m @ 6:45 pace with 400m recovery jog between
    3/04: 5 miles, easy
    3/05: 6 miles, easy
    3/06: 13.1 miles, long and easy
    3/07: Off, have the flu
    3/08: 4.25 miles, easy
    3/09: 5 miles, easy (am)
    3/09: 5 miles, easy (pm)
    3/10: 4.75 miles, 3x800m @ 6:45 pace + 2x400m @ 6:30 pace with 400m recovery jog between
    Total: 63.34 miles

Overview:
    I'm a day late posting this run, my life has been so crazy this week -_- Got in a nice interval workout though! 1 mile warm up; 3x800m @ 6:45 pace + 2x400m @ 6:30 pace with 400m recovery jog (10:00 pace) between; ¾ mile cool down.

I'm planning to do an easy 3 or 4 tonight to shake out my legs in preparation for tomorrow's 5K. My last one was 22:05 so I'm really hoping to break 22 tomorrow!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    3/12 - Leprechaun Leap (5K)
    3/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler
    3/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    4/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K)
    4/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    5/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for March
    3/1 7.25 miles - 7.25
    3/2 4 miles - 11.25
    3/3 9 miles - 20.25
    3/4 3.5 miles - 23.75
    3/5 6.2 miles - 29.95
    3/6 2 miles - 31.95 << race warm-up
    3/6 5 miles - 36.95 << 8K race
    3/7 6.2 miles - 43.15
    3/8 8 miles - 51.15
    3/8 4.1 miles - 55.25 << daily double
    3/9 6.2 miles - 61.45
    3/10 8 miles - 69.45
    3/10 4 miles - 73.45 << another daily double
    3/11 6.25 miles - 79.70

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

• whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    5.5 miles recovety today... wishing I'd forced myself to use the roller after last night's run.stiff and achy legs which only started to loosen up in the last mile. That's probably it for the week as I'm off to a stag do (bachelor party) tonight for the weekend, which is unlikely to be conducive to healthy pursuits!

39 / 75 miles
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Ran 3 today - feeling strong and not guilty at all. Will still proceed with caution. I wonder if it's a bad idea to do frequent calf raises considering the strange angle of my metatarsal bones - could that have created the intense pain under the first metatarsal?
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    About the foam rolling...my PT wants me to roll before and after each run. I can honestly say there is a difference of how I feel when I do it and when I don't. It took several weeks of seeing him before I could foam roll on the muscle that was causing all the problems and now I can actually lay on the roller, on that spot, and hold it for a significant length of time. Afterwards it is ALWAYS better. And my calves (which have not been a trouble spot) absolutely LOVE when I foam roll them!

Once you figure out how to do it, do enough so that it's no longer an awkward and uncomfortable struggle, it could really be helpful. And another thing....for the ones that don't stretch at all, either before or after running, my PT says that's one of the reasons I started having issues and injuries. He said my body requires it because of all the sitting I do at work and then all of a sudden at lunch time, I'm outside running and then I go back to work and sit for the next 4 hours. So now I can be found stretching for the 30 minutes before lunch and for as long as I feel like I need it, after lunch. (Not foam rolling at work though. NOT rolling around on the ground at work lol). That's just my two cents and experiences. We're all different though, so find what works for you and keeps you injury free! I've been side-lined a couple of times with injuries, and it totally sucks. :p
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Long time no updates but it's been a bad week so I'll update on sunday I think. I hope I can run at least once. Busy schedule + constant rain + cold + fell and hurt my knee and now it hurts when I walk and I'm not going to run I'll probably make it worse so I'll just rest. It's been 2 days but it's feeling better. I can do elliptical at least now with no pain so I'll just do that.

As for foam rolling, do it. Just do it. Don't think about it just do it. When you feel that you need it it's already too late just foam roll at least 3 times per week for half an hour and you should be good. First time you try to foam roll quads you will know what hell feels like but keep at if and the pain will get better. No foam roll = tight quads = runner's knee. I had it in the past and it sucks big time. Don't roll if you aren't tight just the tight spots but I'm sure you will find some. Glutes, quads (make sure to roll from all sides, vastus lateralis, medialis etc) and calves. I sometimes roll my shins too (but not directly on the bone, a little bit sideways).
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Slowly but surely trying to get there. Took a few days off last week, getting back in the saddle now. Another 2.5 miles this morning.

exercise.png

• rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Every single time I go running now I love my new shoes more and more. I have NO twinges from my shins and my extensor tendonitis has healed more in the past week then it has in months.

Needless to say it was a great run today. And oddly, the slower I tried to take it, the faster my time actually was. And my HR was down almost 10 points! The only difference was the temp was cool, and I certainly didn't sweat like I normally do. Cause of my lower HR or properly dressed for the temp? hmm. Oh, one other difference...lets just say I carb loaded last night :neutral:

I wasn't ready to quit when it was time, but I know I have to be patient and build my miles slowly. I have been really trying to slow down (it's hard!) and I want to go running again RIGHT NOW haha. That lower HR is SO encouraging!

3/1 - 3.1
    3/2 - 3.1
    3/3 - x-train stationary bike
    3/4 - 3.1 slooow miles with my average HR
    3/5 - bought new shoes!
    3/6 - 4 miles
    3/7 - x-train stationary bike
    3/8 - 3.1
    3/9 - 3.1
    3/10 - true rest day
    3/11 - awesome 3.1

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    About the foam rolling...my PT wants me to roll before and after each run. I can honestly say there is a difference of how I feel when I do it and when I don't. It took several weeks of seeing him before I could foam roll on the muscle that was causing all the problems and now I can actually lay on the roller, on that spot, and hold it for a significant length of time. Afterwards it is ALWAYS better. And my calves (which have not been a trouble spot) absolutely LOVE when I foam roll them!

Once you figure out how to do it, do enough so that it's no longer an awkward and uncomfortable struggle, it could really be helpful. And another thing....for the ones that don't stretch at all, either before or after running, my PT says that's one of the reasons I started having issues and injuries. He said my body requires it because of all the sitting I do at work and then all of a sudden at lunch time, I'm outside running and then I go back to work and sit for the next 4 hours. So now I can be found stretching for the 30 minutes before lunch and for as long as I feel like I need it, after lunch. (Not foam rolling at work though. NOT rolling around on the ground at work lol). That's just my two cents and experiences. We're all different though, so find what works for you and keeps you injury free! I've been side-lined a couple of times with injuries, and it totally sucks. :p

I thought about bringing my tennis ball to work so I can get my rear and my back occasionally. They all think I'm weird anyway, always trying to stretch out some mystery muscle. But they're all non-runners so there's that... I have a persistent shin splint I'm babying. I'm considering biking in place of some runs, weather permitting.

9 days to my half, I'm praying I'll be ready.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Today is supposed to be a "rest" day (walked 2 miles this morning) before my long run of the week tomorrow. Problem is, I'm really itching to run like a mile and a half at lunch. What ya'all think, that an OK idea?
  • LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Run #2 for the month in the books - another 2miler in the neighborhood, but I'm giving myself bonus points because I did it on only 4hours sleep, couldn't find my gymboss, and the plastic holder thingy fell off one of my earbuds so I was runnning in mono :smiley:

So far I'm feeling good with this run/walk system I'm trying.

I'm not big on foam rolling, but I do a regular stretch routine daily for flexibility. *shrug* Foam rolling just feels too painful/awkward for me.

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 "mystery muscle"...ha haha! I'm security where I work and on camera almost 100% of the time. Occasionally I'll get a call from a co-worker watching me and he'll ask if I got it or other times I get..." You got it! I saw it, you got it! You didn't spend as much time on the other side so don't forget to do that!" I'm adding in biking too as cross-training. Plus I have a sprint triathlon in August so I need time on wheels to prepare for that. And 9 days, I'm excited for you!!!
  • LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Test:
    exercise.png

• snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    3/3 4.14
    3/4 4.26
    3/6 6.59