What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    ForMe2No wrote: »
    Nobody told me that it would be so hard finding clothes in smaller sizes. When I was a lot bigger, I knew I had the handful of stores I could shop in and the choices were limited. And you made it work because you had to. Now, in a size 16, XL shirt or 1X, there's either a no-man's land size-wise or these sizes fly off the racks. I don't understand how and where the line is drawn between misses and plus sizes, or that an XL and a 1X should be the same size (or XXL and 2X), but they're not! I'm clueless as to what stores/brands are good or reasonable or carry my sizes. I never thought it would be MORE difficult to shop for clothes, but it's actually getting harder every new size.

@MimiOfTheLusciousLawn OMG! I thought it was just me. I think it will get easier when you get to size 14. Which I think I now am. However, I just bought a couple of pants in size 16 and a couple in a size 14. I think I need to lose another 6 to 8lbs to truly call myself a 14. But I was definitely having the very same issue you are describing a few weeks ago. I got very frustrated. I was shopping both in the misses and plus size it was just too overwhelming. So I ended up leaving the store without buying anything waited two weeks and a few pounds. That is the very reason that I think my goal size is going to be an 8. That should put me safely in the misses size no matter where I shop.

Thank you for validating my crazy! This has literally been making me nuts. I went shopping yesterday looking for jeans (16 long), a bra (40DDD) and some cute shoes (12M). I AM A SIZE NIGHTMARE! The only thing that would have made the day worse would have been to look for a bathing suit as well. I think I'll wait a minute before I go out again, it was pretty discouraging.
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    stickkop wrote: »
    I used to sleep with a fan - winter and summer - I was just so damn hot and summers we brutal. Now I am cold in the winter, don't sleep with a fan and can tolerate the summer heat.

I used to HATE the summer heat, even when it was moderate. I never slept with more than a light sheet in the winter...now I sleep with full length pyjamas, sheets, a duvet and a hot pack!!
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    bri170lb wrote: »
    holmesj747 wrote: »
    going from being told at the doctors office that you have high blood pressure and them wanting to prescribe medication to (a new doctor) taking a double take looking at your chart and saying that everything is now right where it was supposed to be and asking what I've done to change. That felt damn good!!!

!Awesome!
    Really Great!

• KareninLux
    How vain (or proud) I have become. I look in the mirror every chance I get!

One thing that I didn't see coming was losing motivation once I got closer to my goal weight. I'm not planning my meals as carefully as I once was. I need to find my drive again, I'm so close to my goal I can taste it!

Same for me. Stalled for more than a week. Had to watch everything very closely... thankfully the scale started moving again.
  • kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    I have a hard time with readjusting my car driver seats, mirrors and seatbelts in my SUV. I used to sit further away and now I had to move the seat forward, which makes me have to move the mirrors and then my seatbelt has to be adjusted.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited March 2016
    JanetMMcC wrote: »
    Two people who hadn't seen me in some time complimented me today on my weight loss, then added, "I hope it was intentional, and not disease?" So maybe others who say nothing are afraid I might be ill?

A guy at the DMV gingerly asked if I was "doing OK?" He had noticed the big loss and thought (I think) that I had cancer or AIDS. :#

The "big loss" is in comparison to the previous year..I still have about 70 to go...but people notice when you've lost 50 pounds. :)
  • KpopGrad92
    KpopGrad92 Posts: 93 Member
    How much leftover you end up with! Had dinner out with my parents ordered soup, chicken wrap and sweet potato fries. Have half the wrap and 3/4 of fries left for dinner another night. I always take from restaurants and we always seem to have more leftovers after dinner.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    alohajls wrote: »
    Thank you for validating my crazy! This has literally been making me nuts. I went shopping yesterday looking for jeans (16 long), a bra (40DDD) and some cute shoes (12M). I AM A SIZE NIGHTMARE! The only thing that would have made the day worse would have been to look for a bathing suit as well. I think I'll wait a minute before I go out again, it was pretty discouraging.

I'm very happy to have lost some weight, but I too am a size nightmare. When you just have to make do with the biggest size, you suck it up. Now that I am getting closer to 'normal' sizes, my frustration level is HIGH! I am ridiculously pear shaped--I now wear a size 20 (maybe 18) on the bottom, and a 12 or 14 on the top. That puts me firmly in the two-department shopping zone. And a side note, I find everything in stores disappointingly ugly, no matter the price, so shopping isn't so much fun as I had hoped.

I went shopping for bras and the lady fitting me suggested getting custom-made bras because I am so weirdly shaped! Nothing so fun as being half naked in a dressing room with two total strangers analyzing your boobs.

I swear, my biggest motivating factor in losing weight is the thought of buying clothes like a relatively normal human.

One of the best suggestions I have read here is to take a sewing class to make and alter your clothes as you lose weight. I did and I am!

You are probably not "weirdly shaped" at all! Bra size selection (at least in American stores) is woefully scant. This website is really helpful: http://www.brasizecalculator.tk/ And, once you determine your size, you can search by size on Amazon.com to find choices.
  • alohajls
    alohajls Posts: 55 Member
    edited March 2016

This site is amazing and after using it I also recommend Herroom.com, in addition to Amazon, for shopping. They carry MANY brands in MANY sizes, have great sales and a decent return policy(I've never had a problem). Don't freak out if you come out with some cup size you've never heard of. DD isn't THAT big guys...

Also, I recommend women get fitted ANYWHERE EXCEPT VICTORIA'S SECRET.

They fit you to sell THEIR BRAS. They don't fit you to fit YOU.

I definitely recommend specialty stores or find a fitter in a department store who knows her stuff because there is probably certain bra styles that will fit you and your shape better than others.

You guys are so nice to help--those are great websites! I know it sounds like I am being hypercritical of myself, but really, I *am* weirdly shaped! I've been fitted in specialty shops and at all the big department stores in New York (no VS!) and the ladies (most have been doing this longer than I have been alive) have seen me as a great challenge. Their eyes narrow and they scratch their heads and they say, 'Hmmmm...'

The point is that I thought losing weight would make buying clothes easier, and it will eventually, but right now it feels like I am in no man's land. Just have to power through! Gives me something good to look forward to.
  • KareninLux
    Nobody told my that my community would benefit as well. Now that I walk around town instead of driving from one spot to another, I've taken up the habit of picking up trash and disposing of it.
    I find it strange though when some people look at me like "what is she doing?" They're probably the same people who just drop their trash where they want to.

Love this.
  • orange_hoodie
    orange_hoodie Posts: 65 Member
    Nobody told my that my community would benefit as well. Now that I walk around town instead of driving from one spot to another, I've taken up the habit of picking up trash and disposing of it.
    I find it strange though when some people look at me like "what is she doing?" They're probably the same people who just drop their trash where they want to.

If you have not read this yet, I think you'll really enjoy it: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/06/30/stepping-out-3
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!