Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are all calories the same??

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    moe0303 wrote: »
    I believe at SparkPeople the mods give nutrition advice and are helpful in squelching bad information. That seems like a good idea to me. I always like it when you or Niner or usmcmp give good advice and argue against some of the bad information that can be pervasive here and is, I think, really damaging.

Apparently that is not part of the moderators' responsibilities for this site. I, for one, see wisdom in that in that the function of a moderator in general is to ensure that protocol is followed. If someone is not breaking rules, then the moderators (performing their moderator function) should stay out of it. Think of it this way:
    What if Gale was a moderator? Would you still be calling for his help in "squelching bad information"?

I would hope that spreading good and accurate information would be significant to the choice of who becomes a moderator.

Mods have many more roles than this... Just because they are moderators does not automatically mean they know everything about science and nutrition, nor is it their job to squelch every opinion or scientific advice that some people happen to disagree with that crosses the boards. They have enough pressure placed upon them without lumping this on them as well!

As this is a fitness and nutrition website, it stand to reason that they should have a good working knowledge to qualify for a moderator position. The rules and regs and how to apply them impartially can be taught.
    If I go to a hardware store, I expect the people working there to have a working knowledge of the store inventory should I require assistance.

There's far too many different ways of eating, macro splits etc etc etc etc for everyone to agree. Just because one person disagrees with another's way does not automatically make either of them wrong or unscientific or whatever.
    I think I'm not supposed to talk about this here, so no further comment, tough as it is.

Yeah, me neither
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For me, 5% carbs would be about 21 carbs, so the cauliflower, radicchio, and blueberries I had at breakfast would have put me over.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. I need carbs. That is all.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    As someone who has eaten moderate low carb and extreme low carb....I doubt anyone eating 5% carbs is eating much if any vegetables, let alone any fruit. Maybe I'm wrong though.
    That would depend on one's maintenance level and specific food choices. For a lot of men on here, 5% of total calories would mean about 30-35g of carbs. That would allow for multiple servings of some vegetables (like broccoli, spinach, carrots) along with a couple servings of berries.

Oh for MEN huh? Other foods that people eat all tend to have residual carbs, so for someone who a lot of experience with low carbs dieting...that has not been my experience that a diet with 5% carbs includes much if any vegetables. I'd ask Gale, but I think we've been told we are not allowed....so I will continue to share my carb experience and how limiting it is on those fronts.
    Yeah, it may be true that a lot of diets with a carb consumption that low may not even have all carbs comprised of fruits and vegetables. But that amount I mentioned would be applicable to those with calorie requirements around 2500-3000, which would include some females.

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    As someone who has eaten moderate low carb and extreme low carb....I doubt anyone eating 5% carbs is eating much if any vegetables, let alone any fruit. Maybe I'm wrong though.
    That would depend on one's maintenance level and specific food choices. For a lot of men on here, 5% of total calories would mean about 30-35g of carbs. That would allow for multiple servings of some vegetables (like broccoli, spinach, carrots) along with a couple servings of berries.

Oh for MEN huh? Other foods that people eat all tend to have residual carbs, so for someone who a lot of experience with low carbs dieting...that has not been my experience that a diet with 5% carbs includes much if any vegetables. I'd ask Gale, but I think we've been told we are not allowed....so I will continue to share my carb experience and how limiting it is on those fronts.
    Yeah, it may be true that a lot of diets with a carb consumption that low may not even have all carbs comprised of fruits and vegetables. But that amount I mentioned would be applicable to those with calorie requirements around 2500-3000, which would include some females.

That's my maintenance range. What you said wasn't my experience with low carb. I can't ask about anyone else's here, so I will just share my carb experience at a 5% level. If it included any fruits and veggies, it was slim pickings. I know some low carbers that never eat a single one, but I can't speak to their experience.

Im typically under 50 grams and often under 20. I eat salads and mixed veggies (usually something with broccoli) 1-3 times a week.
  • moe0303
    edited March 2016
    Options

That's my maintenance range. What you said wasn't my experience with low carb. I can't ask about anyone else's here, so I will just share my carb experience at a 5% level. If it included any fruits and veggies, it was slim pickings. I know some low carbers that never eat a single one, but I can't speak to their experience.

Im typically under 50 grams and often under 20. I eat salads and mixed veggies (usually something with broccoli) 1-3 times a week.

1 to 3 times A WEEK basically makes my point. That is a diet basically devoid of veggies as is typical with most low carb keto dieters.

You say that like it's a bad thing :tongue:

I'm not big on veggies, and I don't really have a stake in the argument, but I do want to point out that if I can do it 1 day and stay within my limits, I could certainly do it every day if I were so inclined.

I just wanted to reply to your post since you expressed a desire to ask a low carb dieter about it.
  • moe0303
    edited March 2016
    Options

1 to 3 times A WEEK basically makes my point. That is a diet basically devoid of veggies as is typical with most low carb keto dieters.

I say it like it is a fact. People can make whatever dietary choices they want. Not one I would make, but plays out what I was saying above of those who eat that level of low carb dieting. Thanks for your openness and honesty.
    NP.

BTW, I must've been editing while you were replying. I would also point out that people who do tend to go that low on carbs probably don't have much of an affinity for veggies to begin with. Honestly, I prolly eat more veggies now than before I started because I would just had pasta or rice instead.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I say it like it is a fact. People can make whatever dietary choices they want. Not one I would make, but plays out what I was saying above of those who eat that level of low carb dieting. Thanks for your openness and honesty.
    NP.

BTW, I must've been editing while you were replying. I would also point out that people who do tend to go that low on carbs probably don't have much of an affinity for veggies to begin with. Honestly, I prolly eat more veggies now than before I started because I would just had pasta or rice instead.

Very true. I am very low carb yet I usually eat more vegetables than my husband, who is moderate to high carb. The only exception would be days when we have potatoes. He does tend to eat more fruit than me but they are high sugar fruits like bananas and raisins which I am happy to skip.

Many people seem to forget that low carb is not zero carb. We aren't usually carnivores, although I am seeing the benefits of that woe more and more as time goes by...

Anyways, low carb usually means sugar and grains were dropped, and not all plant products. Besides, it would be tougher to get all of my healthy saturated fats without some coconut oil. ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

I had 28 carbs just from vegetables (including tomatoes, though) for dinner yesterday. 13 carbs from vegetables at breakfast today, plus 10 more from blueberries. 30-35 for a full day seems low to me, and that assumes no other carb source.

Anyway, my comment about him being anti fruits and veg is because of specific comments elsewhere which I guess should not be discussed in this thread.

Keep in mind that many low carbers look at NET calories/grams when it comes to veggies and no everyone is as extreme in the spectrum (at 50g, you can get several servings of veggies).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know. I'm not anti keto (again -- I say all the time that like most other diets it can be done healthfully or not). It would require me to limit vegetables and fruits, which seems crazy to me so is something I would not do (I don't actually eat a huge amount of fruit, but some, and I like to eat lots of vegetables), and of course other carbs I think improve my diet, so it wouldn't work for me, but I say all the time it works well for some. What I get annoyed by are claims that carbs are inherently unhealthy or that there's some virtue or benefit to keeping carbs (including veg) as low as possible, making a virtue out of not eating vegetables. I don't think that's supported by any evidence, quite the contrary. (Not including situations where people have digestive issues making fiber a problem or the like.)

Can't even recall why this is in this thread, though -- I suppose the cancer thing, which Gale has now moved.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

5% of 1200 (to take an extreme) is 15 grams of carbs, whereas Atkins Induction is 20g of net carbs.

Firstly let's get the units issue out of the way - what Americans call "Total carbohydrates" aren't what most low carb dieters are using as a metric, and certainly not those outside of N. America. Fibre isn't included. Europeans measure carbohydrate in food and broccoli (as an example) is 1.1 - 2.5% in UK Govt databases.

So my 15g of carbohydrate example would get me 300g of veg at 5% carbohydrate and there are quite a few veg at 5% or less. So I think you are wrong. Graphic from http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf#advice

hntxeb8v6ffl.jpg

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

5% of 1200 (to take an extreme) is 15 grams of carbs, whereas Atkins Induction is 20g of net carbs.

Firstly let's get the units issue out of the way - what Americans call "Total carbohydrates" aren't what most low carb dieters are using as a metric, and certainly not those outside of N. America. Fibre isn't included. Europeans measure carbohydrate in food and broccoli (as an example) is 1.1 - 2.5% in UK Govt databases.

So my 15g of carbohydrate example would get me 300g of veg at 5% carbohydrate and there are quite a few veg at 5% or less. So I think you are wrong. Graphic from http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf#advice

hntxeb8v6ffl.jpg

So, are you saying your diet includes a lot of veggies?
  • yarwell
    Options

Personally I have two fairly large servings of veg with dinner almost every night. "A lot" is subjective but I would be in the upper quartile of UK vegetable consumers.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Personally I have two fairly large servings of veg with dinner almost every night. "A lot" is subjective but I would be in the upper quartile of UK vegetable consumers.

But you said 300g of veg would get you to the 5% carb range. 2 servings of vegetables isn't going to be 300g. For example, your kale on Saturday was only 160g. Doesn't that support what @shell1005 is saying about the severe restriction of carbs leading to minimal vegetable consumption? For that matter, since when is 2 servings of vegetables a day considered sufficient?
  • yarwell
    edited March 2016
    Options
    2 servings is 160 grams (WHO) so you can do 5-a-day on Atkins induction at 20g with 400g of 5g/100g veg. The median veg consumption in the US and UK is well below that.

She actually said " doubt anyone eating 5% carbs is eating much if any vegetables".

I don't really understand your point, 15 grams of carbs can be had from 500g of veg at 3g/100g or 300g at 5g/100g and so on. I typically only log things I'm interested in, or cooked myself, or new stuff - or if I'm sharing info with someone. Also I am not personally aiming at 15 grams, it was an illustration.

A lunch with a new dish in it I logged fully :-

84xorgplbtp9.png
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I tried low carb and keto and atkins. I just couldn't do it.
    I could lose so fast but I was basically dead headed. Maybe it was just psychological. I like bread and fruit and veg a lot a lot a lot. Maybe I'm emotionally involved with vegetables and fruit and bread somehow, I don't know.

I'm amazed any body can keep on with low to no carbs.
    I like fat too, don't get me wrong, and I have nothing against people who can do that carbless eating.
  • yarwell
    edited March 2016
    Options
    UK Stats: "In 2013 25% of men, 28% of women and 16% of children (aged 5 to 15 years) consumed the
    recommended 5 A DAY."

"In 2013 6.8% of adults and 6.7% of children included no fruit or vegetables in their diet" - these aren't all on keto !