Why are so many excluding milk from their diet?

Options

Replies

• TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    Yep. That's what I got too... I still want to know for those who won't drink milk because it's meant for baby cows, if they have eliminated butter, cheese, ice cream, etc. as well.

Many who say that are ethical vegans so they'll have eliminated all meat, egg and dairy products from their diet; plenty of tasty alternatives available to all the foods you mention. The reason they say milk's 'meant for baby cows' is because that's its primary natural purpose ... cows must give birth before they produce the milk naturally intended for their calf. The calves are then separated from their mothers so the milk can used by people instead.
  • bonneboo
    bonneboo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk is for cows. I am not a cow.

Well I always say its because I was weened! I never drank it, its just not for me because of what you said, its for calves! I saw how it was processed one time also.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Things I learned today:
    Milk isn't meant for humans to drink but apparently everything else is okay.
    Milk has pus, except it doesn't.
    Pus is only gross until you pasteurize it.

And goat pus isn't gross.

But it's probably gros.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Just curious. What people arr paying for milk. Some have mentioned cost as a reason for limiting or avoiding milk. The great value milk at our local walmart has been under $1.50 a gallon for months. Last night it was $1.18 a gallon.

Seems pretty cost effective for the nutrient density.

$3.50 for 1L of cows milk. $3.90 for 1L of Almond milk

• Christine_72
    Options
    1L= 33 ounces or .26 Gallons, if my converter is correct
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Things I learned today:
    Milk isn't meant for humans to drink but apparently everything else is okay.
    Milk has pus, except it doesn't.
    Pus is only gross until you pasteurize it.

And goat pus isn't gross.

But it's probably gros.

Tots gros.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I like flavoured milk with all teh pus and teh sugarrzz and mommy cows' tears.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Just curious. What people arr paying for milk. Some have mentioned cost as a reason for limiting or avoiding milk. The great value milk at our local walmart has been under $1.50 a gallon for months. Last night it was $1.18 a gallon.

That's crazy expensive. Where are you?
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I exclude it because drinking cow's breast milk seems strange to me. Always have.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Australia. Where everything costs twice as much as the US
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Attachment-1.gif
  • Orphia
    Options

It's more like $2 / litre.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/Browse/eggs-dairy-fridge/skim-reduced-fat-milk
  • Orphia
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/Browse/eggs-dairy-fridge/skim-reduced-fat-milk

And almond milk is nearly twice as much.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/Search/Products?searchTerm=Almond milk
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Possibly because an 8oz glass of milk is from 125-150 calories? Also some may have issues with digestion of lactose when taken by itself.
    People make changes in their diets due to cost too.

Seriously overstating the calorie content. Fat Free milk has 80-90 calories per 8oz serving, but offers up 8g of protein.

Right on about so many people having issues digesting lactose, though. Also, milk has a fairly high carb/sugar count due to the lactose -- which can cause insulin spiking, as well.

Fat free milk is white water. And it's disgusting
  • Christine_72
    Options

Depends which one you use. I drink.. The complete dairy high protein milk which is $3.50 for 1L at Foodland, will be switching to Woolies tho which sells it for 2.99.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Depends which one you use. I drink.. The complete dairy high protein milk which is $3.50 for 1L at Foodland, will be switching to Woolies tho which sells it for 2.99.

We're pretty lucky. We have 2 supercenter type stores, 2 large full service chain grocery stores, a Fresh Market, Sam's Club and an Aldi's within 3/4 of a mile of each other in the area where we shop. Tends to keep prices down, like the $1.18 a gallon.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've never liked the taste of cow's milk.
    I use cream in my coffee and almond or coconut milk in smoothies, etc.
    I also eat cheese, cream cheese and occasionally yogurt or ice cream.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    8 bucks a gallon for whole raw milk. 3.99 for a liter of Fairlife. (I think it's a liter).
  • Melemur
    Melemur Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't get it I love milk sometimes I just drink a glass for protein and also to help gain extra calories if I'm really low by the end of the day
  • Christine_72
    Options
    The calories arent that high for milk. 130cals for 250ml of light milk. I rarely drink a plain glass of milk, for which I'd prefer the full fat version, but lite tastes fine to me in tea, coffee or smoothies